PDA

View Full Version : dogs on trail

cupcake
11-15-2003, 11:41
just my two cents --- i love dogs -- i am allergic to dogs too. i run into dogs and their owners on trails often --- i come off as an a**hole if i don't act all happy about someone's dog, and don't want to pet it -- i don't want to pet the dog because i then need to wash my hands before i simply brush the hair out of my eyes or off my forehead. i don't want dog hair on me for the same reasons -- allergies. i will someday own another dog, and it will stay indoors, and there will be dog hair everywhere, but, that will be my choice.
by the way, this is my first posting on the site --- i didn't know if i should chose 'new thread' or 'reply' ---
d

cupcake
11-15-2003, 11:50
just my two cents --- i love dogs -- i am allergic to dogs too. i run into dogs and their owners on trails often --- i come off as an a**hole if i don't act all happy about someone's dog, and don't want to pet it -- i don't want to pet the dog because i then need to wash my hands before i simply brush the hair out of my eyes or off my forehead. i don't want dog hair on me for the same reasons -- allergies. i will someday own another dog, and it will stay indoors, and there will be dog hair everywhere, but, that will be my choice.
by the way, this is my first posting on the site --- i didn't know if i should chose 'new thread' or 'reply' ---
d

guess i should had "replied".

geoffrey morris
02-15-2004, 06:38
:welcome HI,I just wanted to say hi and that dogs are fun but sometimes a pain in the butt too.I know I have several.My beef with hikers,the trail, and thier pets is the number of strays.I live next to the trail and am always recieving a new dog or two off of the trail lands ,atleast every other season.People in some of these forums seem to think that these dog are local strays and not the pets of hikers.I've had dogs all my life, from strays to lil'pups given away outside of Walmart to pure breeds with papers.I can tell from the look of an animal and thier coat(thier fur) if the animal has been on it's own for awhile.These trail dogs, as I call them,usually come very clean and groomed with this stupid red bandanna around thier neck.Oh hardly ever with an ID tag,just a stupid red bandanna. I think some people think that thier dog is so damn smart that it(the dog) would never run away to chase something.I've wondered if someone should start a web site dedicated to the recovery of lost pets along the AT.What do you think?

Thanks Geoffrey Morris

loonyhiker
02-15-2004, 07:33
I don't mind dogs at all but I wish they would be kept on leashes. I've been bitten before (not on the trail) so I am very anxious when I am on the trail, and I see this dog running towards me without a leash. I don't see anybody with the dog, who of course, comes up to me, wants to smell, or jump. I'm yelling at it to get back and then the owner finally comes up looking annoyed with me and says their dog is friendly and wouldn't bite, please stop yelling at it. I'm made to feel like I'm in the wrong for being unfriendly to the dog. Now, I have no problems with dogs being controlled by their owners, but letting dogs run lose? I hate having conflicts so I just continue on feeling ticked off, and let the trail soothe my nerves.