PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on a 3 night Smoky trip?

Chris_Asheville
10-10-2007, 12:06
We are planning a three night Smoky trip and are wondering if anyone has any really good hikes (20-30 Miles).

Pennsylvania Rose
10-10-2007, 12:23
So many trails to choose from! Here's where we went on our last trip to the Smokies:

Starting at the trailhead near Cable Mill in Cades Cove: Gregory Ridge Trail, right on Gregory Bald Trail, left onto Wolf Ridge Trail, left on Twentymile Trail, left on AT, left on Gregory Bald Trail, right on Gregory Ridge Trail again (back to car). Awesome views from Gregory Bald and Shuckstack firetower (a 0.5 mile detour south when you get to the AT); Twentymile falls is pretty; Parson Bald is growing over, but is pretty cool. Don't know the water situation on Gregory Bald, although I suspect it's pretty dry.

Lone Wolf
10-10-2007, 12:36
We are planning a three night Smoky trip and are wondering if anyone has any really good hikes (20-30 Miles).

Clingmans Dome to Davenport Gap.

Chris_Asheville
10-10-2007, 13:37
That's what we were thinking Lone Wolf.. I know Peck's to Tricorner is pretty rugged. Do you remember how Tricorner to Cosby is? Would Peck's to Cosby in one day be too much?

Chris_Asheville
10-10-2007, 13:38
Thanks PN Rose, I'll check that out too.!

Lone Wolf
10-10-2007, 13:39
That's what we were thinking Lone Wolf.. I know Peck's to Tricorner is pretty rugged. Do you remember how Tricorner to Cosby is? Would Peck's to Cosby in one day be too much?

tricorner to cosby is very easy. in my opinion. pecks to cosby is totally doable.

EAnderson
10-10-2007, 13:52
Pecks to Cosby via Snake Den is a good hike, but I've only done it with longer daylight.

One of my favorite loops is Baxter Creek Trail out of Big Creek to #38 and then Sterling Ridge to Laurel Gap, down Gunter Fork to Walnut Bottoms, and then back to Big Creek.

I've also done a similar loop out of Cosby with Low Gap and Camel Gap added to the mix.

We hiked Gunter Fork this weekend, and the crossing of Big Creek was an easy rock hop. The fall colors are coming out up top as well.

Have fun!