PDA

View Full Version : Men and swim trunks - some TMI questions ...

Bootstrap
10-11-2007, 10:31
I've always worn traditional underpants and shorts when hiking.

In these forums, I've read in several places that swim trunks, made of board cloth, are better than normal shorts. Obviously, they dry quickly and are light weight. Other advantages?

I have two pair of swim trunks that would make sense. One has a nylon mesh liner, the other has no liner. Is there any advantage to the ones with nylon mesh? Any disadvantage? What's the nylon mesh like after 3 days of hiking?

I assume guys who wear swim trunks don't wear underwear with them? Is there any reason that I should want "support" when hiking?

Jonathan

chiefdaddy
10-11-2007, 10:39
I can't wear underwear unless it is long johns to stay warm, otherwise I like to stay dry and non sweat soaked everywhere!

chiefdaddy
10-11-2007, 10:39
Kilts have always intrested me!

taildragger
10-11-2007, 10:42
I hate all underwear while hiking, I'd cut out the liners if I were you.

Freeleo
10-11-2007, 10:42
I've always worn traditional underpants and shorts when hiking.
I assume guys who wear swim trunks don't wear underwear with them? Is there any reason that I should want "support" when hiking?

Jonathan

some i assume cut the lining out and either wear undies or "freeballin now im freeballin"

jsut be careful when you sit down around other hikers:eek:

Smile
10-11-2007, 10:48
Kilts Rock! (http://www.kiltmen.com/) :)

Exofficio makesl a boxer like pair of black underwear that is quick drying, anit-chafing, anti-stinky, and would easily pass for a bathing suit. www.exofficio.com (http://www.exofficio.com)

Alligator
10-11-2007, 10:58
I use swim trunks with the mesh cut out. For me, the mesh bunches up and adds to any chafing. It also gets funky.

Other advantages-Swimming is easier, you're not worrying about wet underwear afterwards. Not as much underwear to carry if any.

I wouldn't worry about the support issue unless you've get a set of coconuts. Although someday you might pick up the name Granny Balls.

pixel
10-11-2007, 10:59
Don't have an answer for you....but reminds me of a story.

Went hiking with a friend of mine once and part of the hike was going to be a swim. He wore long "masculine" swim trunks on the hike only to reveal a hot pink speedo as we approached the water. Laughed till my stomach hurt. (Didn't see that one coming!!!)

Smile
10-11-2007, 11:03
Ouch, my eyes were burning just reading that :). Hot pink huh?

Footslogger
10-11-2007, 11:05

Jonathan

======================================

Found the cheapest nylon swim trunks (WalMart $9.99) and cut out the mesh liner. Ventillation serves you much better than support. Hang loose ...

'Slogger

JAK
10-11-2007, 11:16
I also cut those liners out of my nylon hiking shorts. But I do bring one pair of cotton flannel boxers when I hike. I don't always wear them, but they are useful sometimes, and having one piece of cotton to dry out now and then is not so bad. They seem to be most useful when it is frosty, but I still want to hike in shorts, especially if I am in a particularly dribble prone mood. Icicles are a beautiful thing, but they have their time and place.

pixel
10-11-2007, 12:24
Ouch, my eyes were burning just reading that :). Hot pink huh?

It was hilarious...especially considering he's an athletic, muscular-framed Italian guy!

Summit
10-11-2007, 12:36
I have had chaffing issues with or without underware/liners. What works best for me and I haven't had any chaffing issues since, is spandex cycling shorts with a baggy pair of shorts over them (or long pants in cold weather), 'cause I don't like how spandex shorts look, but I do like how they support and prevent chaffing. I still carry "BodyGlide" just in case but seldom need it anymore. ;)

2009ThruHiker
10-11-2007, 12:48
forgive the ignorance but, WHAT IS TMI ?

Lone Wolf
10-11-2007, 12:49
forgive the ignorance but, WHAT IS TMI ?

too much information

jlb2012
10-11-2007, 12:49
TMI = Too Much Information

jlb2012
10-11-2007, 12:50
TMI - sort of like learning that Lone Wolf really likes to sleep in shelters and is so kind hearted that he would never hurt a mouse

Smile
10-11-2007, 12:58
Off topic.

Lanthar Mandragoran
10-11-2007, 14:14
True board shorts (stiff-ish quick drying fabric no liner) are awesome to walk around in warm humid weather. It lets your stuff breath without exposing your stuff (the fabric is just stiff enough to not make it obvious you're 'freeballing', plus they're long enough that your don't have to worry about 'sit-down' exposure)

Lanthar Mandragoran
10-11-2007, 14:15
I also cut those liners out of my nylon hiking shorts. But I do bring one pair of cotton flannel boxers when I hike. I don't always wear them, but they are useful sometimes, and having one piece of cotton to dry out now and then is not so bad. They seem to be most useful when it is frosty, but I still want to hike in shorts, especially if I am in a particularly dribble prone mood. Icicles are a beautiful thing, but they have their time and place.

um... okay... REALLY didn't need to know that...

Doughnut
10-11-2007, 14:45
Just to add my 2 cents, I use (and swear by) Columbia Water SHort, looks like shorts, dry weave mesh built in, dries quickly, and wears tough.

I am oin the process (Mom is making them for me) of obtaining 2 kilts to try this year.

Dough Nut

take-a-knee
10-11-2007, 15:34
My little fat legs (inner thighs) rub together when I walk so I have to have some stretchy shorts that cover my inner thighs. Spandex bicycle shorts work well, but underarmour boxer briefs work also and are lighter and they dry much faster than the bicycle shorts. The next long hike I do I plan to take a spare pair and also a spare visa endurance tee shirt so I can launder these next-to-skin items in a ziploc bag. Most chaffing is caused by salt left from dried sweat. Get the salt (and sebum) off your skin and out of your clothing and you'll fair much better.

Creek Dancer
10-11-2007, 15:37
I feel like I just stepped into the boys room. :o Carry on, don't mind me.

BigwaveDave
10-13-2007, 15:53
Board shorts work great and you'll be fasionable!

Appalachian Tater
10-13-2007, 19:26
I wear underwear when hiking for the same reasons I do every day. Plus, the boys need a little protection when hiking on rough terrain.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-13-2007, 19:34
He-Dino likes to keep the boys close to home for the reasons others have cited. He uses microfiber boxer briefs from Target. Wick away sweat, dry quick and prevent chafing.

Survivor Dave
10-13-2007, 20:27
Now let me get this straight...

Picture yourself in March at Hawk Mountain Shelter. It's 25 degrees and you want me to cut what out of where? Before I get to Hawk I see Three Forks and fall in the creek. I think "The Boys" would be rather pissed, and I use that term loosely, they really would!

In all seriousness, I don't think I could hike sans drawers at all. The chafing would be unbearable. I don't think I could carry enough Gold Bond Powder in my pack to take care of that. Kilt, I don't think so. I use a good moisture wicking underwear brief and carry a spare.

I have talked to a Thru-Hiker that said eventually you will get rid of underwear all together. I dunno...

Be good to the boys and no, I haven't been smoking anything or nippin' at the hooch,

Survivor Dave

Dancer
10-16-2007, 05:22
underarmour boxer briefs work also and are lighter and they dry much faster than the bicycle shorts.

Just my two cents worth, maybe off topic, but boxer briefs are just plain sexy. Ok, back to the discussion... :D

AW

Bootstrap
10-16-2007, 06:31
This weekend I wore swim trunks under my long hiking pants - it was often cold - and took off the long hiking pants as needed. It worked very well, and I didn't feel any need for more layers. We'll see how this develops.

Sorry, AmazonWoman ;->

Jonathan

LIhikers
10-16-2007, 06:43
I use water shorts made by Columbia and leave the mesh lining in. I get the support I like and more ventilation than with underwear. Also, the shorts have pockets which can be useful.

nitewalker
10-16-2007, 07:49
i find the spandex underwear really work well for me when wearing underwear. i usually wear nylon zipoffs for my shorts....if your worried about the chaffing thing carry a personal size tube of vasoline....hell i cant hike with a shirt because it feels to restictive...as for the hot pink outline, ha ha ha ha im lmao over and over......peace, nitewalker

Overpass
10-16-2007, 10:37
He-Dino likes to keep the boys close to home for the reasons others have cited. He uses microfiber boxer briefs from Target. Wick away sweat, dry quick and prevent chafing.

Wow, there actually IS someone here who knows how to spell chafing. Cool. :D

faarside
10-16-2007, 11:24
I wear underwear when hiking for the same reasons I do every day. Plus, the boys need a little protection when hiking on rough terrain.

Thank you... same here (I was beginning to think NO ONE else wore underwear while hiking!)

Last year I tried a mesh brief - Terramar Micro-Mesh II (Campmor Item# 77866), and decided to use them on all future hikes. Comfortable and fast drying after washing. I usually hike in light-weight (nylon-like) conversion pants, so I can just zip off the leg bottoms if I get too hot. The pants have a mesh liner that I cut out - I prefer the fit of the Terramar briefs.

saimyoji
10-16-2007, 12:37
... especially if I am in a particularly dribble prone mood.

Hmmmm...dribble prone mood? :-? Does this have to do with whether you are circumcised or not?

ozt42
10-16-2007, 15:33
wow that raises the bar on 'too much information' :D

Waterbuffalo
10-16-2007, 18:24
Boxer briefs and a pair of nyon shorts work for me If Chaffing occurs use a dab of Bag Balm from Walmart

Overpass
10-16-2007, 18:30
If Chaffing occurs

Oh well...it was nice while it lasted.:D

mudhead
10-16-2007, 19:40
Ah, but he is in the know about Bag Balm.

Frosty
10-16-2007, 19:52
I wear underwear when hiking for the same reasons I do every day. Plus, the boys need a little protection when hiking on rough terrain.They drag on the ground? :eek:

Frosty
10-16-2007, 19:59
True board shorts (stiff-ish quick drying fabric no liner) are awesome to walk around in warm humid weather. It lets your stuff breath without exposing your stuff (the fabric is just stiff enough to not make it obvious you're 'freeballing', plus they're long enough that your don't have to worry about 'sit-down' exposure)Yeah, that's my issue with the whole concept. I don't like long shorts, they bind on my thighs when climbing steep uphills, so I wear shorter shorts than is fashionable. But to go commando with shorter length shorts is to never sit down in mixed company, lest Big Ed and the Twins put in an unwanted appearance.

wrongway_08
10-16-2007, 20:10
under armor under wear, for me they stop chaffing and dont smell - as bad as other brands. I bought the med length ones (6" length I think) they cost $20.00 each, keep my thighs from rubbing and give great support. They sortta form a "pocket" to hold all the goods away from your thighs so no chaffing and keeps your junk outta the way while slidding over rocks.

I have been using the REI shorts/pants combo and these two items have turned out to be a grreat choice together.