PDA

View Full Version : Bob Mcaw(?)

Kirby
10-11-2007, 14:45
I do not believe I spelled this name right, and I send my apologies to him if he reads this. For all you who were curious, he is the "highly qualified 2,000 miler" taking over trailplace.com and the handbook. Just thought I would let everyone know if you all were interested.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
10-11-2007, 14:47
www.trailplace.com

Kirby
10-11-2007, 14:51
I should have thought of the L.Wolf.

Kirby

thestin
10-11-2007, 15:03
It appears that Mr. McCaw is the author of The 2006 Long Trail End-to-Ender's Guide.

Cookerhiker
10-11-2007, 15:06
It appears that Mr. McCaw is the author of The 2006 Long Trail End-to-Ender's Guide.

And the 2007 edition as well. I'm holding right now.

Unlike Wingfoot, I don't think's he's thruhiked but he has hiked long distances.

thestin
10-11-2007, 15:14
I wish Mr. McCaw success.

I thought Wingfoot said the new owner would be a highly qualified "2000 miler" which in Dan's world meant that you had hiked the entire AT?

I tried to log in to welcome Mr. McCaw, but it appears that my old log-in is not valid.

Cookerhiker
10-11-2007, 15:23
He's close to being a 2,000 miler per his Trail Journals site:

In '04 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=80238) he hiked SOBO to Bear Mountain, NY

In '07 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=196713), he hiked NOBO to Port Clinton.

And since these hikes were within the past 3 years, he has more recent first-hand on-site experience than Wingfoot.

thestin
10-11-2007, 15:25
Thanks for the info Cookerhiker. I was not casting aspersions on Mr. McCaw...it does appear that he has a good deal of hiking experience, with the added bonus that it has been recent.

The Solemates
10-11-2007, 15:44
www.trailplace.com

$50 for a collector's edition (read: old edition)!!!!

Just a Hiker
10-11-2007, 16:09
If Bob is taking over, then trailplace will be a success! Bob and I hiked together in Maine in '04.....he is one of the smartest people I have met in a long time, and a pretty mean card player! Good luck Bob!

Just Jim

Kirby
10-11-2007, 16:25
I wish him the best of luck as well. I am also quite pleased that he will continue the publication of the thru hikers handbook, which I like more than the companion.

Best of luck,
Kirby

Uncle Silly
10-11-2007, 19:14
I tried to log in to welcome Mr. McCaw, but it appears that my old log-in is not valid.

That would make sense; it's my understanding that Wingfoot only offered the domain name for sale, not any of the data the old website contained. Your account is part of the old website's data and would not have been transferred to the new owner. Unless, of course, my understanding is inaccurate or incomplete.

thestin
10-11-2007, 19:27
Good points.

Aint gonna much of conversation on the blog til that's addressed...

Bob McCaw
10-11-2007, 21:37
I just finished acquiring the rights to trailplace.com and the Thru-hiker's Handbook from Wingfoot a couple of hours ago.

I'm the guy identified in the earlier posts in this thread -- I hiked most of the trail in two long sections in 2004 and 2007, and finished the remainder in shorter sections. I updated the GMC's End-to-Ender's Guide last year and they were nice enough to put my name on the cover.

I carried Wingfoot's guidebook on my AT hikes and felt it served me well. I thought it would be a shame to let it disappear. I'm planning on travelling to all the trail towns in the next few weeks and doing as much hands-on updating as possible. I should have the 2008 edition out by early January.

Now if I can just figure out the blogging software on Trailplace!

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes.

Just a Hiker
10-11-2007, 21:40
Good Luck Bob!

Jack Tarlin
10-11-2007, 21:41
Thanks for stoping by and best of luck with your new venture. Sounds to me like the website and the book are in good hands.

And feel free to add Whiteblaze to your "Links" section, I think we've been missing there for awhile. :D

Nest
10-11-2007, 21:57
I think it would be cool for these two websites to work together a little. If nothing else, atleast have links to each other. Not everyone will find whiteblaze, and not everyone will find trailplace. That would increase the chance of both websites getting more readers, and maybe more donations.

Bob McCaw
10-11-2007, 21:58
I'll put whiteblaze on my links section as soon as I figure out where it is!

Please bear with the website for a few days. I've got a lot to learn about how it all works.

attroll
10-12-2007, 00:42
I'll put whiteblaze on my links section as soon as I figure out where it is!

Please bear with the website for a few days. I've got a lot to learn about how it all works.
Bob if there is anything I can do to help please let me know. I think it would be nice if we could work hand and hand with the two web sites. We could not do that with the previous owner.

warraghiyagey
10-12-2007, 00:45
Bob if there is anything I can do to help please let me know. I think it would be nice if we could work hand and hand with the two web sites. We could not do that with the previous owner.

Damn Troll. You got the good energy in you man. Bob, I probably have ways I could help too. PM me if you need anything.
Peace:)

Waterbuffalo
10-14-2007, 18:36
Good Luck Bob and Nice Idea Attroll to work hand and hand.

SGT Rock
10-14-2007, 19:03
Good luck Bob. Good to hear you got the helm over there.

Toolshed
10-14-2007, 19:28
Great to have another place to fritter my time away. My Eurpean Relatives just left after a visit (More coming in 2 weeks) so I am loaded with ammunition for a policical forum (sicko, socialized medicine 50% Tax rates anyone....ANYONE..... Bueller.....BUELLER????):D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-14-2007, 19:33
::: Dino runs screaming from DSoTM :D :::

Welcome to Bob McCaw. I'm glad the Thru-Hiker's Handbook will live on.