PDA

View Full Version : how to get near VA in AUG

2009ThruHiker
10-11-2007, 16:38
I imagine the simple answer to this sidetrip question will be a bus from whereever we are at that point, but I am interested in other options as well:

My daughter will attend college in late August of the year we are through hiking: are there any departure dates, hiking routes such as flip flop or south bound etc that would put us near VA, more specifically the SNP area near the end of August? We want to be back home for a few days for this event, to help get her settled in. Thanks for the advicE!

Jack Tarlin
10-11-2007, 19:42
One possibility:

Start Northbound from Harpers Ferry 15 to 20 May. You'll make it to Katahdin in mid-to-late August, a great time to be there, and you'll have great company.

Return to Harpers after a few days off, and then start South from there; you'll be in Shenandoah Park three or four days after you start, i.e. towards the end of August. Have your family visit, then proceed south with the Southbound hikers, and finish up in Georgia in mid to late November, and you might even get home in time for Thanksgiving!

Have a great trip.