PDA

View Full Version : Deep Gap Shelter

Former Admin
09-29-2002, 22:34
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Deep Gap Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Hammock Hanger
09-30-2002, 08:55
a bit off the trail but a neat shelter stop. Kind of like your own little cottage in the woods. Water could be a little dry in summer. Hammock Hanger

ez-does-it
10-21-2002, 16:03
A very nice shelter and the water for this shelter is on the way down to the shelter it self.There are many good places near by for tenting out.:p

stevec
04-24-2003, 15:06
Just stayed there last night with 4 other Thrus, very nice shelter and no mouse problems that I saw. Good water on the way in and a cozy loft to keep warm in on a cold day.

Youngblood
06-22-2003, 11:18
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=343&papass=&sort=1

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1275&papass=&sort=1

Rain Man
11-15-2003, 10:36
Had something interesting happen with my food bag last weekend at Deep Gap Shelter, GA.

I stopped there for a break last Sunday, to use the privy, take photos of the Shelter, and study my maps. It was a beautiful afternoon and a very nice shelter and site.

As I sat there soaking up the sun and solitude, two hikers came up to do the same. One had a 60 lb pack, the other's must have topped 45 lbs. They began to spread out for lunch, pulling out steel propane cannisters, multiple pots and pans, and all sorts of food. I gathered my stuff up as I had to meet another hiker at Dick's Creek Gap at a certain time, so I had to get going.

Well, due to all the things they spread out over most of the front porch and picnic table of the shelter, apparently MY FOOD BAG got mixed in and camouflaged in amongst their stuff. Stupidly, I walked off without my food bag, even though I "policed the area."

It wasn't until that evening at Plumorchard Gap Shelter that I knew I had lost my food bag. Fortunately, the hiking partner I had met was providing dinner that evening, and we were getting off the trail the next day, so it wasn't a disaster. But I wondered where the heck my food bag was!

I later learned that my food bag stayed on that picnic table from Sunday around noon until Monday evening when Lilredmg arrived at Deep Gap Shelter. She recognized it as my food bag and brought it back to Nashville for me. :banana

The funny thing is that with all the problems with mice, bears, etc., that food bag lay there for a day and a half, undisturbed!!!

Rain Man

Lilred
11-15-2003, 10:57
The funny thing is that with all the problems with mice, bears, etc., that food bag lay there for a day and a half, undisturbed!!!

Rain Man

Of course it sat there undisturbed. No varmit in it's right mind could get past those wasabi peas....... :jump

Chip
05-14-2004, 21:15
Nice clean shelter. One fellow had his pack towel chewed by a mouse that night. We were in our tent that evening. ;) Nice location. This shelter is well built just like Plumorchard Gap Shtr.

bretb
10-22-2004, 16:08
I had the same problem ! The mice seem to have a taste for packtowels.

Bret

bretb
10-22-2004, 16:10
Nice clean shelter. One fellow had his pack towel chewed by a mouse that night. We were in our tent that evening. ;) Nice location. This shelter is well built just like Plumorchard Gap Shtr.

I had the same problem there. The mice seem to have an appetite for packtowels.

Bret

dgodwin7
10-17-2005, 07:38
I stayed the night there last week on a section hike. All I can say is MICE!!!!

This is a great shelter, but the registure is full of complaints about the mice and after spending a night there, folks were not exaggerating.

I slept out on the porch hoping to be away from them, but still had mice scurrying over me all night. I started at Amicalola and hiked as far as Dicks Creek Gap and this was the only shelter with a true mouse PROBLEM.

Great tenting sites though and a real nice piped spring.

Gray Blazer
10-17-2005, 07:54
Deep Gap Shelter is located in one of the most beautiful spots in the gorgeous Tray Mt. Wilderness. It is secluded way off the trail with a beautiful spring and even the privy view is outstanding!

Kerosene
10-17-2005, 08:33
Where was the spring located? I re-filled my water from the creek.

Gray Blazer
10-17-2005, 08:44
My bad, Kerosine, the water supply is actually a small creek that crosses the Blue Blazed trail, but it is scenic and must start as a spring somewhere.

Smile
10-17-2005, 10:39
Was just there this past friday night, nice to have a broom and a journal (none at Tray Mtn shelter night before-very dirty floor) water on the way in was flowing well and the privy area clean and neat (nice "lock") a dead mumified mouse on one of the ledges inside at about waist height, lots of mouse poop and definately did not want my face sleeping in a corner with this stuff, decided to try the loft, but a mouse came out boldly and stood and sniffed at me for a few seconds before heading back with a squeak to tell his buddies we had arrived for the night.

Mnay crickets in the cracks in the ceiling as well, a nice warm place for them this time of year I suppose, but I never heard them. Nice shelter and great lawn area and looks likethe newer style bear cables, though never saw any sign of one.

BlackCloud
05-26-2006, 07:02
How far off trail is this shelter?

Thanx.....

max patch
05-26-2006, 07:31
How far off trail is this shelter?

Thanx.....

1/4 mile.....

bulldog49
11-02-2006, 15:04
The spring at this shelter was dry last week, but water was available at both Addis and Sassafras Gaps to the south and near Dick's Creek Gap to the North.

Just stopped for lunch but the shelter looked very nice and in great condition.

bigmontana
11-02-2006, 15:14
I was attacked by a vicious frog at this shelter.

It's a really nice shelter, but the water situation isn't ideal. Plenty of tenting space as well.

Skidsteer
11-02-2006, 18:55
I was attacked by a vicious frog at this shelter.

Frogs get testy when there's no water.

Monkeyboy
07-10-2007, 22:11
Stopped there for water on 7-6-07. Water source was acceptable.

Saw HUGE black bear when coming back out.

buckowens
07-11-2007, 22:39
Stopped by the big tree at the beginning of the blue blaze to dry out in mid-June. Had socks hung from all of the signs while taking a nap... Too lazy to check out the shelter that day...

Nearly Normal
07-14-2007, 04:38
Stopped there for lunch once. March 2006
The climb up Kelly Knob just before this shelter was a killer.
It was the first place on the trail I could see clearly the ridges I'd come from and where I was going.

Nice, roomy, and heavily built.

Nearly Normal

Flinx
07-12-2009, 20:27
Stopped there for lunch once. March 2006
The climb up Kelly Knob just before this shelter was a killer.
It was the first place on the trail I could see clearly the ridges I'd come from and where I was going.

Nice, roomy, and heavily built.

Nearly Normal

The climb up Kelly Knob was totally uncalled for :eek:

I read in the shelter register that someone recommended bull dozing Kelly Knob flat ;)