PDA

View Full Version : Time on trail

nvm102692
10-12-2007, 08:36
What is your average time for a thru-hike? I am planning on completeing one with my father during the summer break between my junior and senior year of high school. I'll be getting time off, but with regulations we'll have to complete the hike in 100 days or less. Probably closer to 95 days w/ travel time. Any suggestions or answers are most helpful.

Thanks,
--Nick--

rafe
10-12-2007, 08:40
About 5 months, give or take.

Lone Wolf
10-12-2007, 08:41
take 3 months and do half.

nitewalker
10-12-2007, 08:48
im with lone wolf on the 3 months to do half the trail. if you try to push and do the whole trail during that time frame it may be too much too fast for your body. take it as it comes and know your limits when you get out there. do not over burden yourself with how many miles do i need to travel on a given day just to meet your 95 day goal. your body will tell you where it is at.. remember to enjoy your hike........peace out, nitewalker

MOWGLI
10-12-2007, 08:52
What is your average time for a thru-hike? I am planning on completeing one with my father during the summer break between my junior and senior year of high school. I'll be getting time off, but with regulations we'll have to complete the hike in 100 days or less. Probably closer to 95 days w/ travel time. Any suggestions or answers are most helpful.

Thanks,
--Nick--

I would say 5-6 months is average. It took me 5.5 months with 26 or 27 zero mileage days mixed in. I was 38 at the time though. You youngins' got an edge physically. I think us older folks have the edge mentally however.

Go to www.Trailjournals.com and look at the stats from thru-hikers who appear to do things the way you would. That'll give you a better idea.

MOWGLI
10-12-2007, 08:54
PS: If I had 100 days, I'd hike the High Sierra in California on the PCT, including the . Give it some thought. The scenery is outta this world!!

MOWGLI
10-12-2007, 08:55
Meant to say including the "John Muir Trail." Had a finger failure that caused an early submit. Ooops.

nvm102692
10-12-2007, 09:18
PS: If I had 100 days, I'd hike the High Sierra in California on the PCT, including the . Give it some thought. The scenery is outta this world!!

I would as I love the mountains out west, but living in ohio kinda restricts major travel and I've always wanted to do the AT.

Lone Wolf
10-12-2007, 09:40
you have many years ahead of you to do the AT. why rush through it at such a young age?

nvm102692
10-12-2007, 09:45
I have considered it greatly as I have spare time at work today, and have decided to shoot to kill my first try at the AT. I'm gonna take the 100 days or so and hike to finish it, but if I come up short I have to leave at my deadline and I'll know I gave it my best.

Blissful
10-12-2007, 10:08
I have considered it greatly as I have spare time at work today, and have decided to shoot to kill my first try at the AT. I'm gonna take the 100 days or so and hike to finish it, but if I come up short I have to leave at my deadline and I'll know I gave it my best.

Well, if you have the time and want to go for it, do it!

leeki pole
10-12-2007, 10:32
Dude, it ain't a race. There's no clocks out there. Do what you want, but you'll miss a heck of a lot if you're in a hurry. Enjoy the experience. The Trail ain't going anywhere.

Footslogger
10-12-2007, 10:35

Thanks,
--Nick--
=====================================

Key questions are ...your pace ?? and how often would you overnight in towns/hostels or take zero mile days ??

If you have 100 days my suggestion would be to bite off a more mouthsized piece of the trail - - like half, as has already been suggested. Do 1000 miles or so in your 100 days and you'll have a more memorable experience.

'Slogger

faarside
10-12-2007, 10:38

Personal goals are good things to set; however, be as realistic as you possibly can. It sounds as though you may be looking to "conquer" the AT rather than "absorb" it.

On the one hand, your pushing to achieve an end result, possibly sacrificing the joy of the journey. On the other hand, you are seeking a deeper feeling or meaning from the journey.

Personally, I believe there is too much beauty to be discovered in hiking the AT to rush through it. Look how long its been since my thru (1991). Since, for family/personal reasons I have been unable to attempt another new thru hike, I have discovered renewed enjoyment through my section hikes.

Patience... "good things come to those who wait."

Best of luck, and Happy Trails!

Just a Hiker
10-12-2007, 10:40
Every hiker I meet on the trail who says they only have 100 days or less to do the trail seem to be stressed out all of the time.

Just Jim

nvm102692
10-12-2007, 11:05
maybe i will just do half but i have two things against it:

1. I like to be challenged and an average of 10 miles a day doesn't seem like a huge challenge to me. I consider myself a good hiker and backpacker, its a huge interest of mine, and i possibly want to do more.

2. I am afraid I'll never find time after school to go back. It sounds dumb that I won't have time, but you never know when its all gonna be over.

Lone Wolf
10-12-2007, 11:07
plenty of time after high school to hike the AT

Mags
10-12-2007, 11:12
While a 100 day hike of the AT is possible, is it something you want to do?

Most people who can sustain that pace are experienced thru-hikers. They know their bodies, they know what they can do or not do, they know how to pace themselves.

That's not quite 22 MPD overall pace. Do you think you are capable of that every day? In the mountains? Through snow and rain and cold?

Not trying to say NOT do it..just that pace may be a bit ambitious for someone who has not thru-hiked before.

Uncle Silly
10-12-2007, 11:15
You did say you were doing this with your father. You might be able to pull off a full-on thru-hike in 3 or 4 months, but your dad might not be capable of the same feat. If you're on your own, then sure, take off and see how far you can make it in 100 days. If the trip isn't just for you but for your dad as well, then slow down, see the sights, and enjoy everything you can.

taildragger
10-12-2007, 11:19
Problem with 100 days of hiking, summer, and the high sierras. JMTusually doesn't get started by PCT thru-hikers till June 15th or so (at least thats about when I want to hit it)

I'd say just take your time, go your own pace, and see how far you make it while enjoying it. I know that I'm the kinda person that doesn't like the ideas of 0 days, but I have a feeling that it will change next summer when I haven't had a beer for days.

But seriously, don't start with an end in sight. I have about the same amount of time next summer on the PCT. I'd love to finish California, but I doubt I will since I'm picking up friends on the JMT to hang out and fish with for about a week. If I were you, I'd wait till about 30 days left to figure out where you want off, this way you enjoy the hike, if racing is what you want, then you'll race, if you want to stop and sniff the dayhikers, then half the trail might be what you get done. In the end you can still say "at least I got 100 days to do more hiking that most hikers will do in their entire lives"

nvm102692
10-12-2007, 11:29
But seriously, don't start with an end in sight. I have about the same amount of time next summer on the PCT. I'd love to finish California, but I doubt I will since I'm picking up friends on the JMT to hang out and fish with for about a week. If I were you, I'd wait till about 30 days left to figure out where you want off, this way you enjoy the hike, if racing is what you want, then you'll race, if you want to stop and sniff the dayhikers, then half the trail might be what you get done. In the end you can still say "at least I got 100 days to do more hiking that most hikers will do in their entire lives"

That is exactly what I'm trying to say. I want to go and decide an end later, and still know that made a huge accomplishment.

leeki pole
10-12-2007, 11:48
Why not start from Harpers Ferry and hike NOBO? You're about 1164 miles from Katahdin and probably within your time frame. That way, you can accomplish your goal, enjoy the hike and maybe even be able to take a couple of zeros (or neros) and finish on the Big K. Doesn't get much better than that and you can always come back to HF some day down the road to finish the thru on Springer. Just my two cents.

weary
10-12-2007, 11:58
Why not start from Harpers Ferry and hike NOBO? You're about 1164 miles from Katahdin and probably within your time frame. That way, you can accomplish your goal, enjoy the hike and maybe even be able to take a couple of zeros (or neros) and finish on the Big K. Doesn't get much better than that and you can always come back to HF some day down the road to finish the thru on Springer. Just my two cents.
My vote would be to start on Springer and go to Harpers Ferry. The southern Appalachians are wonderful in the late spring. I like to start a hike in interesting country. Though all the trail has its fascinations, starting in Harpers Ferry means you have to walk 600 miles before reaching the special mountain country of the trail.

AS others have said, speed hikes are not for novices. Few fathers old enough to have teen age sons are capable of 100 straight days of 22 mile hiking with backpacks.

Weary

HIKER7s
10-12-2007, 12:17
maybe i will just do half but i have two things against it:

1. I like to be challenged and an average of 10 miles a day doesn't seem like a huge challenge to me. I consider myself a good hiker and backpacker, its a huge interest of mine, and i possibly want to do more.

2. I am afraid I'll never find time after school to go back. It sounds dumb that I won't have time, but you never know when its all gonna be over.

Hey there Nick,

I too wanted it sooo bad in high school. from the time I was in 8th grade. I did want to try it in the summer between my Jr and Sr years but was persuaded to do it after i graduated. Then, go to college the following year. Turn out thats what I did. Left the March after graduating and returned the following October. I really took my time and relished everything along the way. Think it over you'll be missing alot you pass. Speeding on a trail tends to make one look-by stuff. I think you would be more satisified if you did it in a way to give you the best shot at the whole thing and also the best time of it.

Otherwise, like stated herein, do half.

HIKER7

Marta
10-12-2007, 12:44
It's not a bad idea to aim low to start with. Hiking isn't rocket science, but there are a lot of judgements to make and no one else can teach you how to do that--you have to learn it for yourself. That's why you can't just copy someone else's successful hike (equipment, food, budget, daily schedule...) and guarantee that it will work for you.

I haven't seen you mention how much long-distance hiking you and your father have already done. Maybe you're far more experienced than I'm assuming you are.

Planning your campaign in incremental steps can increase your chance of success. For example:
1) Make sure you have equipment (including your own body) that works for you by doing a base-camping/dayhiking thing from a state park campground.
2) Do a few backpacking overnighters.
3) Do a trip of at least seven days. Two weeks, with a resupply either in town or by mail drops, would be better.
4) Then start planning your AT hike. You should have a much better idea of how fast you can go as a team, and whether a fast pace would be a reasonable thing for the two of you to attempt.

As I said, I have no idea where you are on the spectrum of backpacking experience. You may already on step 4.

Good luck with whatever you decide to try!

Mags
10-12-2007, 13:25
My vote would be to start on Springer and go to Harpers Ferry. The southern Appalachians are wonderful in the late spring. I like to start a hike in interesting country.

I suspect a southern spring, with all the wildflowers would be awesome.

Great suggestion.

Uncle Silly
10-12-2007, 13:40

This isn't a bad idea. You'll get your challenge in the Whites and the mountains of southern Maine. If you end up reaching Katahdin early and have more time, you can always choose to complete the Long Trail, blue blazes through the Whites, or flip down to Virginia and hike south.

hopefulhiker
10-12-2007, 13:56
I think you should go as slow as you can. I agree with LW.. Do half the trail in 100 days.. I took over six months to finish it...

Jack Tarlin
10-12-2007, 14:45
Most people take 24 to 27 weeks to hike the A.T. in its entirety, i.e. the trip takes most folks close to six months, or even a bit longer.

Most folks who hike in less than five months end up wishing they'd taken more time.

Can it be done in 100 days or less?

Yes, if you're in extraordinary shape; can average 21 miles-plus a day every day of your trip; take almost no time off;are lucky with the weather, and that you don't get hurt.

I've met thousands of thru-hikers, including several who've hiked in less than 100 days.

None of them enjoyed it.

My advice to you is do half the Trail this year and the other half some other time. Or if you are determined to thru-hike all in one year, either re-arrange your lives and schedules so you can do so in a better time frame, or wait awhile til a better opportunity prsents itself. The Trail isn't going anywhere, and most folks get more out of the Trail in their early 20's than they would at 17 or 18.

Your chances of completing the Trail with your Dad in 100 days or less are very slim indeed.

Your chances of doing so and truly enjoying it are essentially non-existent.

dessertrat
10-12-2007, 14:55
Earl Shaffer, who was a very experienced and fit hiker who traveled very light, did his second thru-hike in 99 days. That is a fast time. 10 miles a day in some areas is a light day, and in others will take most of the day. The AT is no garden path.

Jack Tarlin
10-12-2007, 15:03
There was still a lot of road walking back in 1965 and Earl was very disciplined about avoiding towns. There are not that many hikers today who are that disciplined or could maintain that kind of pace.

And I'm not even gonna get into how much Earl enjoyed his later trips. God Bless him and may he rest in peace, but the fact that Earl frequently complained about the Trail or how poorly his later trips compared to his first one is not exactly a secret.

Therefore I'll stand by my comments about those who hike in less than 100 days..... I'm yet to meet anyone who claims to have truly enjoyed it.

leeki pole
10-12-2007, 15:06
Earl Shaffer, who was a very experienced and fit hiker who traveled very light, did his second thru-hike in 99 days. That is a fast time. 10 miles a day in some areas is a light day, and in others will take most of the day. The AT is no garden path.
Well, a marathon a day for 83 days would complete the Trail. Not my idea of a fun experience. But to each their own.

Kirby
10-12-2007, 15:08
As a fellow high school studen planning to hike the AT, hike as far as you please in those three months, and finish the rest some other time. I plan on taking 5-6 months, so I am missing some school(work to be done ahead of time). I never considerred rushing it and taking 3 months to complete the whole thing. Relax and enjoy your trip.

Kirby

dessertrat
10-12-2007, 15:26
Well, a marathon a day for 83 days would complete the Trail. Not my idea of a fun experience. But to each their own.

I think my statement has been misinterpreted; I was trying to point out that 100 days is probably not an enjoyable trip for most people, not that the questioner should try to do it in 99 days.

nvm102692
10-12-2007, 16:17
As a fellow high school studen planning to hike the AT, hike as far as you please in those three months, and finish the rest some other time. I plan on taking 5-6 months, so I am missing some school(work to be done ahead of time). I never considerred rushing it and taking 3 months to complete the whole thing. Relax and enjoy your trip.

Kirby

how much school are you goning to miss?

nvm102692
10-12-2007, 16:29
Hey Kirby...I just read your journal and I've got to say your post has meant the most to me. I may talk to one of my teacher's who wants to see me hike the trail if its possible to do what you did regarding schoolwork and take a longer vacation. What did you have to do to get off for that long? I would love to hear more about your trip, planning, and school experiences. Thanks,

--nick--

Sly
10-12-2007, 16:30
Meant to say including the "John Muir Trail." Had a finger failure that caused an early submit. Ooops.

100 days to do 220 miles?

rafe
10-12-2007, 16:34
NVM, what is your hiking experience on the AT, to date? I'm an old geezer and you're quite welcome to ignore any advice I offer, but personally I think the idea of hiking the AT in 100 days is a wee bit insane.

Out of curiosity, have you ever done a 22 mile day on the A.T., and if so, where?

Lone Wolf
10-12-2007, 16:38
NVM, what is your hiking experience on the AT, to date? I'm an old geezer and you're quite welcome to ignore any advice I offer, but personally I think the idea of hiking the AT in 100 days is a wee bit insane.

Out of curiosity, have you ever done a 22 mile day on the A.T., and if so, where?

there should be a 20 Year Old And Younger ONLY forum so they can share their vast knowledge of long distance hiking with one another. they don't like advice from we old farts.

Sly
10-12-2007, 16:42
Problem with 100 days of hiking, summer, and the high sierras. JMTusually doesn't get started by PCT thru-hikers till June 15th or so (at least thats about when I want to hit it)

But seriously, don't start with an end in sight. I have about the same amount of time next summer on the PCT. I'd love to finish California, but I doubt I will since I'm picking up friends on the JMT to hang out and fish with for about a week.

California is 1700 miles, it could be done, as it's generally much easier hiking than the AT. Do you plan on starting at the Kick Off or the beginning of May? That will get you to Kennedy Meadows around the 1st week in June and into the High Sierras a few days later. A later start and Southern California tends to get hot.

Blissful
10-12-2007, 18:10
Hey Kirby...I just read your journal and I've got to say your post has meant the most to me. I may talk to one of my teacher's who wants to see me hike the trail if its possible to do what you did regarding schoolwork and take a longer vacation. What did you have to do to get off for that long? I would love to hear more about your trip, planning, and school experiences. Thanks,

--nick--

E Mail Paul Bunyan too (he is a member of White Blaze). He did the AT at age 16 (turned 17 on the trail) He did home schooling.

On a side note - I'm just glad to see teens who want to get out there and do it. Even if its in 100 days. Better than what a lot of kids do these days, which is nothing. And they'll see and experience a heck of a lot more too. It's great.

But if you can do it slower, you'll have more fun in towns too and with the hiking community. Paul Bunyan really enjoyed both very much.

nvm102692
10-12-2007, 18:13
when i said his post meant more to me it was about showing me and can get more days off school...not telling the older guys i don't care about their experience...sorry

Kirby
10-12-2007, 19:11
NMV:
Please only take my advice for planning while a high school student, and how to make it happen. Besides that, there are people on this site, and people who have commented on this thread, have many thru hikes under their belt and know what they are talking about, I will gladly help you on the planning end as far as school goes, but I am not the person to turn to for thru hiking advice.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
10-12-2007, 19:14
when i said his post meant more to me it was about showing me and can get more days off school...not telling the older guys i don't care about their experience...sorry

i know. i'm just bein' me. a cantacerous 'ol curmudgeon. :D

Frosty
10-12-2007, 19:30
when i said his post meant more to me it was about showing me and can get more days off school...not telling the older guys i don't care about their experience...sorryNo offense taken. Take the advice you want and leave the rest. I think people have been assuming you don't have much experience, either because of your age or because your first post asked how long the average thruhike took.

Do you or your have much backpacking experience? If you do, then you are working with knowledge and can figure it out for yourself. If not, then definately think about listening to those with some experiece. I know you said 10 miles a day doesn't sound like a challenge, but some days it is.

And 25 miles a day for 100 days is a big challenge. (22 miles per day would do it, but you have to allow that some days this will be impossible, and even if you took no rest days (unlikely), you would still have to allow for short days into and out of towns for resupply, etc.

If I had only 100 days to hike, and was going to start after school ended, I would take the advice of the poster who suggested walking fro Harpers Ferry to Katahdin. You will be in hte middle of the backpacker herd, and it will be a blast to hike with the thruhikers (just don't try to keep up for the first week or so), and by ending at Katahdin you will give yourself a feeling of ending, and not go back to school thinking you could have/should have done more.

(Plus, if by some chance you get to Katahdin in a month and a half, then you can to to Harpers Ferry and hike to Springer with the southbounders you met in VT-NH-ME.)

Also, have some pity on your father :D

Appalachian Tater
10-12-2007, 20:04
What everybody else said, plus a couple of extra comments:
You need a few weeks after a normal thru-hike of the A.T. to re-acclimate and readjust. That would be even more true after a speed hike.
I would just start at one end and hike and not even plan an endpoint. That way you're under no pressure, you can hike when and how fast you like and go home whenever.
Part of the fun and satisfaction can be really pushing yourself beyond what you have physically done in your life and really putting some miles down. But not day in, day out, unless you know already that you're really into that.

rafe
10-12-2007, 20:07
NVM, several folks here have inquired about your backpacking experience, or predicated their responses to you based or conditioned on your backpacking experience. I don't recall your response to that. And I'm genuinely curious.

nvm102692
10-12-2007, 22:24
I've never before been on the AT, but have some back[adking experience. I've hiked the Laurel highlands Trail in sections, and am doing the whole thing this summer. i've started hiking annually in utah for 5 days w/ my dads and friends.

nvm102692
10-12-2007, 22:27
accidentally hit enter...I'm also in scouts and we go backpacking 15-20 mile overnighters in PA twice or three times a year. My personal favorite hike so far is the LHHT.

Appalachian Tater
10-12-2007, 22:30
Why don't you just take it easy and enjoy a leisurely hike? You're going to be in college and then working and life just piles up on you faster than you can imagine.

rafe
10-12-2007, 22:48
NVM, thanks for responding. I've never been on Laurel Highlands trail, but I'm gonna take a gander that it's not unlike the AT in southern PA. Not to belittle PA or anything, but (IMO) most of the AT is substantially more difficult.

Anyway, imagine how you'll feel after doing all 70 miles of the LHT in three days... and extrapolate that to the full length of the A.T., with suitable breaks for resupply, R&R, etc. I'm not sure you understand what you're up against. But then, most thru hikers aren't, when they start. :)

DavidNH
10-13-2007, 08:02
Well for what it's worth (and I hope it's worth something) I will throw My two cents in.

I hiked the trail in a little over 6 months and a week. The times I regret most on the trip was when I pushed and tried to really make miles or tried to keep up with others. The times I really enjoyed was when I just hiked my own pace and enjoyed the scenery. Sometimes that meant 15 miles. Some times that meant 3 miles. I took a full 10 days for the 100 mile wilderness and would not do it any other way..it was wonderful. So what if the pack is a tad heavier?

There does seem to be a serious trail culture about making miles. People seem to talk more about how many miles they did than about the scenery they saw. At least that was my experience. That I find very unfortunate because there is some amazingly beautiful scenery to be found along the AT.

Finally, With only 3 months.. i'd suggest Springer to Harpers Ferry or possibly Delaware Water Gap. If you are going to do the AT in sections..Keep New England as a separate trip and take your time to enjoy. Me and NH are not only very very rugged but they are I believe the most beautiful portion of the trail.

David

Freeleo
10-13-2007, 08:40
I would as I love the mountains out west, but living in ohio kinda restricts major travel and I've always wanted to do the AT.

start planning a trip somehow out west...i highly recommend getting to fresno and going into kings canyon....yosemite is cool but crowded.....we went the first week the park opens at the end of april......the place is amazing....have lunch on muir rock and hit the trail to paradise valley...not to mention all the other hikes.....you will never ever regret it...

www.skybus.com (http://www.skybus.com) will get you out there cheap...they fly out of columbus, oh

your never too young

good luck
jch

dessertrat
10-13-2007, 11:26
I totally agree with DavidNH's perspective. It seems to me that hiking used to be as much (or moreso) about being in nature, with fitness as an incidental, while today many people have completely reversed that mentality.

I thinkn there are too many people today for whom nature is something to be blasted through on the way to proving they can do 20 miles per day every day. Those people miss a lot. The way some hikers approach and pass over mountain summits with great views reminds me of Chevy Chase at the Grand Canyon the movie Vacation. Look for three seconds and keep going.

nvm102692
10-13-2007, 11:27
I talked to one of my teachers last nite ad he said he would hel me get the extra time off like kirby did. I'll hopefully have around 150 days. I think thats much more acceptable.

Kirby
10-13-2007, 16:10
Try and get all of April and May off, that gives you 5 months to complete the trail, I am starting march first, so I have 6 full months to complete it. Get as many days out of the school as you can, I can help you if you need it.

Kirby

Mags
10-14-2007, 22:33
Five months for a thru-hike is very much do-able.

Go light, take little time off in town if you can and be consistent.

It is little less than 15 MPD average. A little difficult, but not overly so. I did that pace with a much heavier pack than I have now and did OK.

Now, how does your dad feel about this pace? :D

I spent my 15 yo summer washing dishes at a local restaurant. I susepct your summer will be much better. Have a blast!!!!!!

Sly
10-15-2007, 00:59
Five months for a thru-hike is very much do-able.

Go light, take little time off in town if you can and be consistent.

It is little less than 15 MPD average. A little difficult, but not overly so.

It should be mentioned that's 15 mpd average for the length of the trail. That doesn't mean you need to start out that fast. You can start out doing 10 mpd with less chance of risking injury in the early going.

stranger
10-15-2007, 04:54
In 3 months you could hike the Long Trail (270 miles) then the Finger Lakes Trail (450 miles) then the Ozark Highlands Trail (165 miles) and this still leaves you time in between each hike to chill out a bit and eat your ass off for a week. All those trails are within a few hours drive of Ohio, by a few I mean less than 10.

Or like others have said...hike half the AT. Personally, I couldn't imagine hiking the AT is less than 4.5 months, maybe 4 when I was younger. And I've done plenty of back to back 25's, I did 150 in a week before, a few 30's as well. It would be very tough to average 21-22 miles per day, which would mean in reality you would have to hike about 23-24 miles a day atleast to "average" a slightly lower amount. It doesn't sound like fun.

What you think you will do on the trail is not what you will do once you are out there, everything tends to change once the rain and wind starts. As Mike Tyson once said "everyone has their plan until they get hit".

clured
10-20-2007, 19:51
NVM: Go for it!

I thru-hiked in 84 days last summer with zero prior backpacking experience. Hands down the best experience of my entire life, and I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

Don't let the geezers talk you into doing something dumb like cutting your hike in half or taking time off from school; you're only young and strong once, and there are few things in the world as rewarding as a sub-100 or even sub-90 thru-hike. Don't listen to people who say silly things like "slow down." They'll never understand. Six months for a thru-hike? That comes out to just over 12 miles a day; last summer I got to the 12-mile mark for the day at about 11:00 AM. What exactly are you supposed to do with the next 10 hours of daylight? You're in the woods, so you may as well walk.

Be aware though that you will have to grow some serious stone skin before going out there. At every point along the way people ridiculed what I was trying to do and told me that I was disrespecting the trail. I learned quickly to lie and say that I had lots of experience just to get the naysayers off my back that told me that it was impossible. There's a double standard for "hike your own hike"--the slow and/or lazy hikers use it all the time so as not to feel inadequate or to justify things like slackpacking and skipping parts of the trail, but as soon as someone wants to hike fast they all just ***** on you. Also, never listen to people that tell you that you are "missing things" by hiking fast and strong. This is of course ridiculous; you see every inch of trail that the slower folks see. What they really mean is that you will see fewer people and less of the hostel/drug scene. But some people want nothing to do with drugs or other people while in the woods; this is unacceptable to the AT culture, and you will be heavily criticized.

Never, ever let anyone fool you into thinking that speed is a bad thing; there is nothing better in the whole world.

-DQ

Appalachian Tater
10-20-2007, 20:08

I thru-hiked in 84 days last summer with zero prior backpacking experience. Hands down the best experience of my entire life, and I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

Don't let the geezers talk you into doing something dumb like cutting your hike in half or taking time off from school; you're only young and strong once, and there are few things in the world as rewarding as a sub-100 or even sub-90 thru-hike. Don't listen to people who say silly things like "slow down." They'll never understand. Six months for a thru-hike? That comes out to just over 12 miles a day; last summer I got to the 12-mile mark for the day at about 11:00 AM. What exactly are you supposed to do with the next 10 hours of daylight? You're in the woods, so you may as well walk.

Be aware though that you will have to grow some serious stone skin before going out there. At every point along the way people ridiculed what I was trying to do and told me that I was disrespecting the trail. I learned quickly to lie and say that I had lots of experience just to get the naysayers off my back that told me that it was impossible. There's a double standard for "hike your own hike"--the slow and/or lazy hikers use it all the time so as not to feel inadequate or to justify things like slackpacking and skipping parts of the trail, but as soon as someone wants to hike fast they all just ***** on you. Also, never listen to people that tell you that you are "missing things" by hiking fast and strong. This is of course ridiculous; you see every inch of trail that the slower folks see. What they really mean is that you will see fewer people and less of the hostel/drug scene. But some people want nothing to do with drugs or other people while in the woods; this is unacceptable to the AT culture, and you will be heavily criticized.

Never, ever let anyone fool you into thinking that speed is a bad thing; there is nothing better in the whole world.

-DQ

You certainly are wordy for such a speedy young whippersnapper!

EWS
10-21-2007, 00:46

-DQ

Good on you. T' hell with those who were jealous of what you did.

garraty
10-21-2007, 10:25
I've heard the arguments against peakbagging and fast thruhikes many times over the years, and I think the arguments are usually wrong. The important question is What are your objectives?
If you want to see a lot of the countryside, enjoy pushing yourself physically, and want the challenge, then going fast is probably the way to go. You absolutely do not miss the chance to see and commune with nature. What you do miss - and miss only if others are choosing not to hike fast like you are - is the social aspects of the trail.
People vary, and I have seen hikers well into their sixties doing big miles day after day, but usually physical endurance seems to decline even during the twenties. The opportunity to do a thruhike at reasonable cost usually isn't there between the school years and retirement. I think that your plans for a fast thruhike while you're young and have the chance is a great idea. As long as you understand what you might be missing - most of the social life of the trail.

The fact that you want to do this hike with your father causes some concern. You might want to plan a slower hike.

You might want to consider hiking the PCT instead. Since hiking fast is common on the PCT you wouldn't find yourself left out socially. And there are reasons for the fact that the completion rate for the PCT (around 50%) is three times that of the AT - it's often above the treeline with spectacular scenery which varies far more than on the AT, with the possible exception on Washington state essentially perfect weather with no rain, neither logistics nor access to water are the serious problems some make them out to be, the PCT is longer than the AT but most hikers find that it takes the same or less days to hike due to easier terrain and the better grades provided by switchbacks.

For most hikers the typical mistakes in clothing and equipment can be dealt with along the trail. With limited time it's important that your things be lightweight and well selected from the start.

map man
10-21-2007, 11:36
Although Clured's post makes some generalizations about AT hiker culture that go overboard (the most notable is the phrase "the hostel/drug scene," which correlates hostel use with drug use in a way that's unfair to most hostel owners and patrons), he makes at least one VERY valuable observation. He's noticed the double standard at play in many people's use of the "Hike Your Own Hike" (HYOH) phrase. I wish I had a buck for every post I've seen here at WB in which a poster says something like: "I know I'd feel like I cheated myself if I hiked like.../I know I prefer to smell the roses when I hike instead of speeding on by like...," and then they follow it up with the classic passive/aggresive all-purpose phrase, "but hey, Hike Your Own Hike!" And a frequent use of this ploy is when people discuss the number of miles people like to hike in a day. People tend to feel indulgent towards those hiking slower than they do, but more than a few show unmistakable hostility towards those who like to hike faster.

Ok, end of rant.

To address the original question, some useful advice I've seen on this thread is to simply start hiking and see how far that happens to take you in the 95 days you have to hike (and if you can find a way to wrangle more days, great). If you make it to Katahdin, good for you. If you make it to PA or NJ or NY etc. etc., then good for you.

Appalachian Tater
10-21-2007, 11:40
A 20+ mile a day hike is different from a 6 month hike, that's all. Different.

I did see a couple of parents who joined their thru-hiking children for a section have some real problems, such as stress fractures and severe gait abnormalities due to pain. If an older person is going to hike with a younger one they need to be willing to speak up instead of just trying to keep up.

clured
10-21-2007, 14:09
Although Clured's post makes some generalizations about AT hiker culture that go overboard (the most notable is the phrase "the hostel/drug scene," which correlates hostel use with drug use in a way that's unfair to most hostel owners and patrons), he makes at least one VERY valuable observation. He's noticed the double standard at play in many people's use of the "Hike Your Own Hike" (HYOH) phrase. I wish I had a buck for every post I've seen here at WB in which a poster says something like: "I know I'd feel like I cheated myself if I hiked like.../I know I prefer to smell the roses when I hike instead of speeding on by like...," and then they follow it up with the classic passive/aggresive all-purpose phrase, "but hey, Hike Your Own Hike!" And a frequent use of this ploy is when people discuss the number of miles people like to hike in a day. People tend to feel indulgent towards those hiking slower than they do, but more than a few show unmistakable hostility towards those who like to hike faster.

Map Man: Agreed, that was an unfair generalization. Overall the people (hikers, hostel owners, etc) I met on the trail are the best single group of folks I've ever been a part of, and I worry that I sounded overly bitter before. I'm just trying to offer a different perspective.

-DQ

sylvan
10-21-2007, 15:33
I had to work around school to get the trail done as well. I left the public school system after my junior year in high school and enrolled in a private home school that allowed dual enrollment in a local college. I took freshman college courses (which gave both college and high school credits) and finished my high school degree in December and had 3 months to prepare for my hike. I could easily have finished in time to start back at school in August, but I decided to slow down and enjoy every moment that I could, and ended up finished on August 29, two weeks after school had started back. With the pressure to return to school that semester off, I spent some time travelling the New England Coast with my Mother. I had a really fantastic time.

If I had 100 days, I'd use it to accomplish a nice chunk of the AT. It's not that you and your father can't do the AT in fewer than 100 days, it's that you'll be under a constant deadline. Averaging 23 miles per day is no simple feat, even for hikers with thousands of miles under their belts.

However, youngsters are notoriously stubborn (hey, you can see all the strings I pulled to do my first thru-hike), so I wish you the greatest luck with whichever route you choose. I hope you have a great time.

Kirby
10-21-2007, 18:39
I know that after 3 straight days of 18-19 mile days in the wilderness, I was happy to be only going 15 miles for a change, even at my young age, that type of milage takes its toll on the body, IMO.

Kirby

garyhebert
11-13-2007, 20:48
Its not for everyone. But it WAS for me. (AT 07)

I planned for and mostly did 20 a day. Many discouraged me with good intentions like the posts above. All good constructive advice. Take it seriously.

I finished in exactly 4 months (122 days; thats avg 17.8/day PLUS a few zeros) and def could have done it in less. Maybe 3 1/2 months. (I met a guy Li who is now finishing the triple crown on the CDT who did 30's and finished in 3 months.)

Along the way I met and hiked the latter part with several thru hikers and for the later part we budgeted only 15 a day for VT, The Whites and Maine due to anticipated tough terrain. Def could have done a few more each day but we didnt need to cuz of our "schedule" plan so we didnt.

The group of 7 I ultimately summited with all regularly hiked mid to high 20's when we WANTED to or needed to to get somewhere "on time".

**Most of the group said if we did it again we wouldnt hike any less miles per day or hike slower, BUT we would plan more time for town stops. more zeros. ** I was surprised how much I lived for the next town stop. We cringed when we had to wait 3 whole days near the latter miles!

Only you know yourself. I like a tough challenge. Throughout our journey many strong experienced hikers with good habits found fault with our plans.
They'd suggest we slow down and enjoy the trail. We kept reminding them that we chose and continue to choose our "schedule". We liked it.

It's not a race. But its a different challenge for each of us in our own way.

Hike your own hike.

IF you're serious I highly recommend www.backpackinglight.com (http://www.backpackinglight.com) forums for IDEAS, CONCEPTS, things to consider to lighten your load and make your pace easier. If you travel lighter you can travel MUCH further MUCH easier. And if you can cover bigger miles you dont need to carry as much making it that much easier still.

AND I couldn't strongly enough recommend multi-day practice hikes with the exact stuff you intend to carry to tweak your pack list and see if you like the tough pace. It means getting up in the dark and sometimes hiking into the dark to get in your miles, at least until the days get longer in the summer. Checkout www.trailjournals.com/fedex (http://www.trailjournals.com/fedex) for my or other 2007 journals for a good understanding of what their days were like.

The real secret to big miles is travel light and hike long days, not hiking fast. Checkout the couple in their 60's that did 20's regularly just by hiking long days with regular equipment (Comer and Jean). Checkout Woodstock, an ultramarathoner who did a lot of 20's and 30's. Also T-Mac who traveled light and fast.

It means few true zeros in town. (Zeros are the biggest time killers IF you're on a tight schedule.) Mostly you'll probably be going in, resupply, overnite stay and get outta town-its MUCH harder than you might think sometimes. Its psychological. Everyone else is staying and chillin. And you're not.

It means relatively short lunches; short breaks; hiking every day no matter what the weather. I had a lot of fun. And screwed off a lot. But I made up for it other places. And I loved it. But others would be miserable and it might drive them off the trail.

It's not for everyone. But it might be for you. IF you think it is, practice a few multi-days at your planned pace to really get ready. It made my first 500 miles crank, while many others I passed and met were still lightening their load and experiencing the learning curve. **If you only have 100 days you dont have much time to get adjusted. You have to hit the ground running and ready.**

SORRY for all the rambling. But I wanted to really encourage you to think about going for it. Despite the words of caution above and good advice to consider.

Oh, by the way. Prior to my multi-day prep hikes I had NEVER hiked even close to a 20 in one day. Even most of my prep hikes I didn't make 20 a day. But I was motivated. And I made it!

Good Luck!!

[I mean NO disrespect for those many experienced thru hikers who choose to hike their own hike differently than mine. I enjoy their company and continue to share with and learn from them every day!]

Jack Tarlin
11-13-2007, 22:27
Wow, what a good post, Gary.

This is not the way most folks would choose to hike, but for anyone planning a fast (i.e four months or less) thru-hike, I think Gary's post should be required reading. There's some very sensible stuff here.

Mags
11-13-2007, 22:45
It should be mentioned that's 15 mpd average for the length of the trail. That doesn't mean you need to start out that fast. You can start out doing 10 mpd with less chance of risking injury in the early going.

Very good point Sly! You can start of doing 10s and then do some 20s in easier terrain.

Mags
11-13-2007, 22:54

-DQ

There is nothing wrong with speed hiking (or rather long hiking days), I did both the CT and CDT with 25-30 MPD on a typical hiking day. Mind you, that and 2 bucks gets me a cup of coffee...

However, I would not be so bold as to say my style of hiking is the best in the whole world. ;)

And it is great you did the AT in 86 days with no experience, but most people on their first thru-hike (esp a 15 yr old) *usually* do not have the mental, physical and emotional experience of hiking long days every day.

Can a 15 yr old (or anyone) do a sub-100 hike? Absolutely. Can most 15 yr olds (or anyone) do it at that pace? Probably not.

There is a large difference between frowning upon a hike and giving some advice to keep in mind.

Capish?

Now contrast that post with Gary's:

>>Its not for everyone. But it WAS for me. (AT 07)

I agree with Jack. Excellent, and realistic post about doing long hiking days minus the er..bravado. ;)

Good post Gary. We have threads like this every so often on WB. May be good to point them to your post.

Mags
11-13-2007, 23:08
but usually physical endurance seems to decline even during the twenties.

ACtually, that is not quite true. For endurance sports, the peak is in the early 30s. Look at the ages of the winners and record holders of marathons, bicyling, triathalons, (and in ultras, the recrod holders are in their mid-late 30s or even slighty older).

Of course I am a little biased. ;)

Having said that:

For most hikers the typical mistakes in clothing and equipment can be dealt with along the trail. With limited time it's important that your things be lightweight and well selected from the start.

How true! You really need to be dialed-in before attempting a faster hiker. Be it experience and/or preperation.

FINALLY: As others have said, it is not so much hiking fast..it is hiking LONG. Sun-up to Sun-rise. Every day. Some enjoy it (I do), some don't. Find what works for you.

(Sorry all the multiple posts..I could wait to post at the end of the tread..but that would require me to read the whole thread first. :) )

mudhead
11-14-2007, 09:29
Yo Mags,

What is sun-up to sun rise? You been yoyoing the couch?

Couldn't resist...

clured
11-14-2007, 11:16
There is nothing wrong with speed hiking (or rather long hiking days), I did both the CT and CDT with 25-30 MPD on a typical hiking day. Mind you, that and 2 bucks gets me a cup of coffee...

However, I would not be so bold as to say my style of hiking is the best in the whole world. ;)

And it is great you did the AT in 86 days with no experience, but most people on their first thru-hike (esp a 15 yr old) *usually* do not have the mental, physical and emotional experience of hiking long days every day.

Can a 15 yr old (or anyone) do a sub-100 hike? Absolutely. Can most 15 yr olds (or anyone) do it at that pace? Probably not.

There is a large difference between frowning upon a hike and giving some advice to keep in mind.

Capish?

Now contrast that post with Gary's:

>>Its not for everyone. But it WAS for me. (AT 07)

I agree with Jack. Excellent, and realistic post about doing long hiking days minus the er..bravado. ;)

Good post Gary. We have threads like this every so often on WB. May be good to point them to your post.

Hey Mags,

Not frowning on anyone's hike! Just trying to offer an alternative perspective. And c'mon, who finishes a thru-hike without the help of a little bravado?!

Of course I think that my way of hiking is the best. Why else would I hike that way? Everyone think their way is best.

Capish?

Happy, long, and fast trails,
DQ

rickb
11-14-2007, 19:28
My guess is that Clured doesn't think too many of the thru hikers he met along the way could have done the Trail at his pace.

But who knows?

Mags
11-15-2007, 16:53
And c'mon, who finishes a thru-hike without the help of a little bravado?!

Of course I think that my way of hiking is the best. Why else would I hike that way? Everyone think their way is best.

Capish?

Happy, long, and fast trails,
DQ

Non capisco.

You are implying that other people are frowning up a hike. Giving some real world advice to people who are asking questions is not frowning upon the hike. Non capisci! ;)

In any case, I do not think my way is the best. Nor am I arrogant enough to rant about it on a BBS. My way is just what works for me..hardly the best.

Finally..trails aren't fast..they just are. ;)

Nearly Normal
11-15-2007, 22:09
HYOH

Nearly Normal

garyhebert
11-16-2007, 00:52
My most humbling moments......on the AT 2007....

...Comer and Jean, in their 60's seemed quite at ease doing 20's most days at their own pace enjoying the whole day. thought I was at least a little bad. made me seem pretty lame.

....met some former thru hikers now in their 70's & 80's at McAffee's Knob doing an overniter. We had just hiked up, again, thinking we were bad. Then we noticed the group chillin, and then they offered to snap a pic for us....Talk abou burstin our bubble. But I was quite impressed. I hope to be that bad someday!

....after cranking up on many thru hikers ahead of me including the 6 NOBOs I ultimately summited with, it still amazingly took me a bit to reallize I didn't catch many of those hiking at roughly my pace...they took a few more zeros!

....I was humbled to finally reallize I just couldn't close the gap on Woodstock (2007 NOBO).

.....but I was severely humbled when Li Branforth (now a triple crowner) who started ? a week or so after me suddenly appeared from no where while we were chillin for a lunch break just before the Mahoosic Notch. He'd been doing 30's. Hiked with us for two days and oddly told us he never hiked "this fast", he just hiked earlier and later than we did.

There's always someone much bigger and badder!!

[no disrespect to those who CHOOSE to hike slower or differently]