PDA

View Full Version : Glue for Silnylon?

snarbles
10-12-2007, 12:23
It would seem that sewing may be the only way to really attach a piece of industrial strength velcro to a silnylon tent. However, does anyone know of an adhesive that will bind to silnylon? I wanted to attach some velcro to the floor of my tent to hold my air mattress in place, but nothing seems to stick.

I have a double rainbow. I wonder if tarp tent would be willing to sew some in for me?

Midway Sam
10-12-2007, 12:31
Just apply a few "stripes" of clear GE Silicon II to the floor of your Rainbow and voila! a non-slip surface.

Dirtygaiters
10-12-2007, 15:22
Midway Sam's suggestion works. Silicone is the only adhesive that will stick to silnylon, and that diagonal striping method tends to keep sleeping pads in place quite well, especially if you "gum up" your stripes when they are midway through drying.

snarbles
10-15-2007, 11:24
Just apply a few "stripes" of clear GE Silicon II to the floor of your Rainbow and voila! a non-slip surface.

Okay, I'm now trying to glue the velcro strips on with the GE Silicon II as you mentioned above. I'm not sure if it will hold the velcro strips on, but I figured it was worth a try. If not I will remove them and just use the Silicon alone.

Thanks for the suggestion.

snarbles
10-16-2007, 10:26
Okay, I'm now trying to glue the velcro strips on with the GE Silicon II as you mentioned above. I'm not sure if it will hold the velcro strips on, but I figured it was worth a try. If not I will remove them and just use the Silicon alone.

Does this stuff ever dry? Not sure, but this stuff is still slightly liquidy after 24hours.....never worked with this stuff before.

whitefoot_hp
10-16-2007, 10:52
Does this stuff ever dry? Not sure, but this stuff is still slightly liquidy after 24hours.....never worked with this stuff before.
i know what you mean. it takes about 48 hours to dry. however, it will remain sticky for a while. if it is too sticky, you can sprinkle some baby poweder on the glue.

Appalachian Tater
10-16-2007, 11:10

It also helps to put some on your sleeping pad. Stripes do work better than dots.

Dirtygaiters
10-16-2007, 13:50

Just to clarify, he was not suggesting you glue velcro to your silnylon floor, he was suggesting that you paint a grid of silicone stripes onto your floor. This would have been enough to prevent a sleeping pad from sliding around.

snarbles
10-16-2007, 16:41
Just to clarify, he was not suggesting you glue velcro to your silnylon floor, he was suggesting that you paint a grid of silicone stripes onto your floor. This would have been enough to prevent a sleeping pad from sliding around.

Yeah, the velcro does not seem to stick at all to the silicone. So far nothing really does. I thought I'd give it a try though.

mudhead
10-16-2007, 17:15
Thinned silicone, correct?

snarbles
10-16-2007, 17:57
Thinned silicone, correct?

I've been using it straight. Is this correct?

hshires
10-16-2007, 19:33
Yeah, the velcro does not seem to stick at all to the silicone. So far nothing really does. I thought I'd give it a try though.

Snarbles, if you want to put velcro strips on the floor, the best thing to do is sew velcro onto some patch fabric and then glue the patch fabric to the floor (or just sew the velcro directly to the floor). Please contact me if you need scrap or scrap with sewn-on velcro.

-H

mudhead
10-16-2007, 19:36
I do not have this tent. I assume you sealed the seams with silicone cut with mineral spirits. (Odor free is worth the extra$)

I just checked a bag seam sealed in this manner, had a little grip. I used a 3 to 1 (silicone) mix. Used a small natural bistle throw away brush. I think this is what others are describing. Lines on the floor and on the mattress. Talcum on the lines after tacky if you like.

If you use search, you will find alot on this, including some guy that painted the whole floor! (Think it was here.) Flyfisher posted the mix recipe.
Looks really nasty when mixing, keep stirring. I used a clean tuna can and popsicle stick.

The straight stuff takes a while to cure, and is soft a long time. (Homeowner use.)

Seems like you could contact the guy who made the tent.

Appalachian Tater
10-16-2007, 19:42
Seems like you could contact the guy who made the tent.

That's him in the post just before yours!

mudhead
10-16-2007, 19:52
I type slow.