PDA

View Full Version : There's Gold in them thar hills

woodsy
10-12-2007, 20:28
Anyone ever pan for Gold along the AT? Those plastic pans don't weigh much and from my research there is plenty out there, specially in the south.
The mother lode is still out there? or isn't it.
I panned a lil nugget out of the Swift River south of the Bemis Range on RT 17 in Maine, anyone else tried their luck in the Appalachians?
Looking forward to your replies, minerals too. Rock hounds?:)

Uncle Silly
10-12-2007, 20:37
are you nuts?? might as well ask a hiker to go see something 5 miles off the trail. or head to a really cool shelter that's more than .5 off trail. or spend the day paddling around West Chairback Pond. and you want to spend a zero day (or a few) trying to make money??

</sarcasm>

woodsy
10-12-2007, 20:42
are you nuts?? might as well ask a hiker to go see something 5 miles off the trail. or head to a really cool shelter that's more than .5 off trail. or spend the day paddling around West Chairback Pond. and you want to spend a zero day (or a few) trying to make money??

</sarcasm>
How come i was expecting that:rolleyes:
Just think, you could pay for your entire hike if you spent a lil time panning:)
The mother lode awaits you:D

Uncle Silly
10-12-2007, 20:49
with gold at around $750 an ounce, a little luck would fund a thru-hike ... and a lot of luck would fund a degree.

how much of a nugget did you find in Swift River?

woodsy
10-12-2007, 20:58
with gold at around $750 an ounce, a little luck would fund a thru-hike ... and a lot of luck would fund a degree.

how much of a nugget did you find in Swift River?
Wow! its that high?
I'm heading back out tomorrow!
Never mind how big the nugget I found is!

FatMan
10-12-2007, 21:13
There is still plenty of gold in them thar hills. As you may be aware, the first gold rush in the US began in 1828 in the Dahlonega area. Placer mining was much more common than vein mining during the Gold Rush. Many of the most productive streams and rivers such as: Etowah, Yahoola, Cane, Chestatee, and Dukes all have their headwaters near the AT. In fact, the water source at Gooch Gap is a head water (Walden Creek) of the very productive Yahoola Creek. I doubt you will find gold in these high elevation areas, but if you head downstream and have pleny of patience you will find gold. Most likely flour, not nuggets but it is still there.

Uncle Silly
10-13-2007, 00:14
As you may be aware, the first gold rush in the US began in 1828 in the Dahlonega area. Placer mining was much more common than vein mining during the Gold Rush.

The first gold discovery was in 1799, in the form of a 17-lb nugget from a creek in Cabarrus County NC, found by a 12-year-old. His dad had a mine in operation by 1803; by 1824 the operation had yielded around $100k worth and other Piedmont farmers were getting into the act. NC actually led the nation in gold production until 1848, when it was eclipsed by the California gold rush.

Ahh, I found a page about the Dahlonega area. I'm guessing what makes it the first "rush" is the formation of new towns and influx of miners. I don't see anything about how much gold came out of the area, compared to what was found in NC. Both Charlotte and Dahlonega got branches of the US Mint somewhere around 1835...

Never mind how big the nugget I found is!

jeez, woodsy, paranoid much? don't worry, i'm far too south to come rob you. :D

digger51
10-13-2007, 01:13
I pulled about one fourth of an ounce from Dahlonega last month, won't say which stream. Only took one day. It took three days to get that much from near Charlotte the week before. I wouldn't waste time panning on the trail. While there is still gold in those mountains, it would be pure chance to find any and hiking time is more valuable.

nitewalker
10-13-2007, 07:00
i live near the north south trail of rhode island and there is an old gold mine off this trail. coincidentally the name of the road that leads to the old site is gold mine road...i have yet to find any gold in this area although i do not spend much time there...

woodsy
10-13-2007, 07:16
jeez, woodsy, paranoid much? don't worry, i'm far too south to come rob you. :DJust yanking your chain silly. Wasn't big enough to brag about.
The Swift River and it's branches, one comes off Bemis mtn area, are well known for hobby panning, not striking it rich.
There was one hermit prospector on the Swift who managed to survive off it most of his adult life. When he died he took his secrets and treasures with him, his treasure of gold and knowledge of the mother lode remains a mystery to this day.:-?:rolleyes:
I agree that panning and thru hiking probably wouldn't jive too well as has been said the placer gold is down lower mostly. Panning can be a time consuming hobby, it's not hard to loose yourself in it and time just disappears.
But, for those who go out for a day, weekend, week or two, why not shake a plastic pan a little, could be some color in it;)
A little reading here (http://www.johnwade.com/gems.htm)about Maine gold, minerals and other treasures. The Next Bend In The River is a good read

Lone Wolf
10-13-2007, 07:50
i was hitching in kinsman notch about ten years ago and a dude picks me up and says he's an amateur prospector. showed me a film canister about 3/4 full of little nuggets that he panned in the area

Furlough
10-13-2007, 08:00
Rock hounds?:)
Well, he (SGT Rock) has at least one, you can hear it in MOWGLIs interview. :)

Furlough

FatMan
10-13-2007, 09:56
The first gold discovery was in 1799, in the form of a 17-lb nugget from a creek in Cabarrus County NC, found by a 12-year-old. His dad had a mine in operation by 1803; by 1824 the operation had yielded around $100k worth and other Piedmont farmers were getting into the act. NC actually led the nation in gold production until 1848, when it was eclipsed by the California gold rush.

Ahh, I found a page about the Dahlonega area. I'm guessing what makes it the first "rush" is the formation of new towns and influx of miners. I don't see anything about how much gold came out of the area, compared to what was found in NC. Both Charlotte and Dahlonega got branches of the US Mint somewhere around 1835...The boy's name was Conrad Reid, and his father was John Reid who was a Hessian Soldier who deserted the Brittish in 1783. His mine was the most productive in the NC region. The size of the nugget found in Little Meadow Creek has been greatly exaggerated over the years.

The Gold Rush in Georgia eventually resulted in the "Trail of Tears", a true black-eye on US History. The AT runs directly through Cherokee Country and you will find reminders of the travesty. Lake Winfield Scott is named for the General sent by Van Buren to round up and expel all the remaining Cherokee.

Andrew Jackson hated Banks and paper currency. With the discovery of gold in the South he supported establishing Branch Mints for the purpose of getting all the gold coined. Congress passed the Branch Mint act in 1835 which established branch mints in Charlotte, New Orleans, and Lumpkin County Georgia. The Dahlonega and Charlotte mints were open in 1838 but unfortunately by the time the mints were opened gold production had fallen substantially.

Gold coins minted in Dahlonega and Charlotte are highly sought after by numismatists. They are very scarce and as such command very high prices.

BigwaveDave
10-13-2007, 11:47
The capital dome in Atlanta is sheathed in gold from Dahlonega.

FatMan
10-13-2007, 12:01
The capital dome in Atlanta is sheathed in gold from Dahlonega.The steeple on Price Memorial Hall, the administrative building at North Georgia College in Dahlonega, is also plated with gold leaf mined in area. It makes for an impressive view as you drive over Findley Ridge on GA60.

The US Branch Mint building burned in 1878. Price Memorial Hall was built on the original mint building's stone foundation.

Next weekend (Oct 20-21) is the Gold Rush Days Festival. If you have an interest in gold history, and live in the area you should check it out. It is a big to do.

Just a Hiker
10-13-2007, 12:14
I met a guy in Gorham, NH one year who had spent all summer in the Whites panning for gold. He said he found a stream around the Twin Mountain area that had a good bit of gold. He had serveral viles of gold flakes, so I guess there is gold in them hill!!

Uncle Silly
10-13-2007, 13:01
The Gold Rush in Georgia eventually resulted in the "Trail of Tears", a true black-eye on US History. The AT runs directly through Cherokee Country and you will find reminders of the travesty. Lake Winfield Scott is named for the General sent by Van Buren to round up and expel all the remaining Cherokee.

Hmm. I hadn't realized that connection but it makes a lot of sense. I might have to do some reading on the subject. Thanks!

woodsy
10-13-2007, 13:12
Thanks for chiming in everyone.
No doubt the southern Appalachians are more noted for gold than the north but we got the minerals . Tourmaline is the Maine State Mineral, (http://www.maine.gov/doc/nrimc/mgs/explore/minerals/facts/stmineral.htm) Amethyst, Beryl, Quartz of many varieties . Some major finds in the western mountains over the years. Keep your eyes open, some of these minerals are just laying on the surface out in them thar hills. Prospecting, just another excuse to hang out in the woods.
Keep the stories coming...gold, minerals etc..

warraghiyagey
10-13-2007, 15:06
Just yanking your chain silly. Wasn't big enough to brag about.

Or maybe upon trying to sell said nugget he discovered it was Pyrites.:D :banana

I saw an Ivory Billed Woodpecker on the trail. Or so I claimed on the favorite bird thread but Woodsy left me hanging. . . again.:)

woodsy
10-13-2007, 16:29
Or maybe upon trying to sell said nugget he discovered it was Pyrites.:D :banana
Nope, hit it with a hammer and it flattened out

I saw an Ivory Billed Woodpecker on the trail.
Do you remember where you saw it? They are said to hang around gold and mineral deposits:-?:rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
10-13-2007, 16:39
Do you remember where you saw it? They are said to hang around gold and mineral deposits:-?:rolleyes:

Touche.:) :)

digger51
10-14-2007, 02:15
I was hiking today in the superstitions outside Phoenix, Az. I kept my eyes open for the lost Dutchman's mine, but all I saw was great scenery.

Ramble~On
10-14-2007, 20:19
A coworker makes regular trips to somewhere near Marion, NC to pan for gold. It is private property where the owners charge a fee to enter for the day...I guess any gold you find is yours to keep. I've never been but she does quite well. From what I understand a gold nugget is worth more than the per ounce weight. From what she's shown me there's plenty of gold to be found and she used some to buy a gas operated dredge....and since continues to find more and more.

Jan LiteShoe
10-14-2007, 22:28
North Carolina is also a good gem state. A stream near where once lived in Raleigh was famous for its garnets. Emeralds, sapphires, moonstones and rubies are still found in the mountains, as well as the gold mentioned. There are dozens of working mines, and lots more former dairy farms-turned-tourist-digs that will rent you a bucket.

I once did a newspaper story on the 1445 carat "Star of the Carolinas," a huge star saphire found here (http://www.oldpressleymine.com/page2a.html) in a mountain area west of Asheville. For the story, I visited the mine where the gem was dug up - anyone can dig in the banks and cuts there for a fee. I must admit, it's easy to get caught up - it's the lapidary lottery! The very next bucket will contain The Prize - or the one after that. I can see how people could cacth "gold fever."

woodsy
10-15-2007, 07:15
From what she's shown me there's plenty of gold to be found and she used some to buy a gas operated dredge....and since continues to find more and more.
She's got the fever!

I must admit, it's easy to get caught up - it's the lapidary lottery! The very next bucket will contain The Prize - or the one after that. I can see how people could cacth "gold fever."

All it takes is finding that first lil nugget or seeing lil gold fleks (color) in the bottom of the pan. That bigger nugget is just around "the next bend in the river".LOL

ki0eh
10-15-2007, 10:18
Don't forget Gold Mine Road beside PA's St Anthony's Wilderness, offering nearest road access to Rausch Gap. The gold nuggets might be hiding under all those freshly sharpened rocks on the BMECC section. Please, after you turn over the rocks place them carefully next to but not in the trail. :)

KirkMcquest
10-15-2007, 10:25
The government claims all mineral rights on public and most private lands. Panning or mining for gold on this land is Illegal in most cases. Where will you bring your raw gold to cash in? You may be asked certain questions which you might be unprepared to answer.

digger51
10-15-2007, 11:25
Not true KM. You can prospect on almost all BLM and National Forest lands and keep what you find. You are only restricted in what kind of equipment you can use. Anyone wanting information on western lands can go to the BLM dot gov website and find millions of acres of available land to search on. If you find any mineral you want to collect such as gold or silver you can freely gather it. They don't care what you do with it once you get it. If you want exclusive rights to the piece of land you found the gold on you file a claim and no one else can use it without your permission. Any BLM office will gladly help you in your efforts by providing advice, maps, and even a packet showing how to file a claim. I've been doing this since 1993 and never had a bit of trouble from the government.

digger51
10-15-2007, 11:28
As far as cashing it in goes, the government doesn't care if you do or not or where. You don't even have to pay taxes on the minerals you find until you do cash it in as it is considered only a collectible until you turn it into cash.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-15-2007, 11:30
I've been waiting for an ultra-lighter to ask how to make gold nuggets weigh less

digger51
10-15-2007, 18:00
If it got too heavy they could just drop it in a shelter and I would gladly pack the extra weight out.

woodsy
10-15-2007, 19:08
[quote=KirkMcquest;425949]The government claims all mineral rights on public and most private lands. Panning or mining for gold on this land is Illegal in most cases:-?:rolleyes:

digger51 Not true KM. You can prospect on almost all BLM and National Forest lands and keep what you find. McKirk strikes Out again, hey, who let U out of the political forums:rolleyes:
Prospectors 1, McQuest 0,Lol
Dear lord, please forgive me for that there...git-r-dun

digger51
10-16-2007, 00:13
I wasn't trying to strike out KM, only letting the correct info get out. Bad info has hurt us prospectors often in the past so we like the right stuff to get passed on.