PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp Usage

tucker0104
10-13-2007, 05:41
I was just wondered how much everyone used their headlamps while haiking the AT or do you even carry one? Which ones do ya'll own?

drdewrag
10-13-2007, 07:16
For sure - wouldn't leave home without it. I use a Petzl Tikka Plus - gets the job done, lightweight and three different brightness settings.

Lone Wolf
10-13-2007, 07:22
For sure - wouldn't leave home without it. I use a Petzl Tikka Plus - gets the job done, lightweight and three different brightness settings.

i have the same one. i use it to read and do crosswords at night

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-13-2007, 07:49
Another vote for using a headlamp - absolutely necessary for midnight trips to the privy on moonless nights and for safely pursuing many other activities after dark. Also makes night hiking possible if daytime temps soar.

Lone Wolf
10-13-2007, 07:51
you pee in a privy at nite?

Furlough
10-13-2007, 08:06
I was just wondered how much everyone used their headlamps while haiking the AT or do you even carry one? Which ones do ya'll own?

I use a mini mag flashlight that goes in an adjustable headband. My guess is that the headlamp setups like those mentioned above maybe lighter and more battery efficient. But my set up works okay for me.

Furlough

gaga
10-13-2007, 08:19
i m afraid of the dark, so i have 3 different light sources: 1-- glo-toob fx, 2-- black diamond zenix iQ head light, 3-- oil lamp, + the flash from my digital camera:sun:sun i grow up whit to many bogeyman scary stories:D

LIhikers
10-13-2007, 08:28
I switched to a headlamp when I got tired of holding a minimag flashlight in my mouth so my hands were free to do camp chores. I have the Aurora by Princeton Tek. It's bright enoough for around camp and also for night hiking if the trail isn't too bad

Summit
10-13-2007, 08:31
I recently acquired a Petzl Tikka (Basic - one light setting) after over 30 years of flashlight use. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! No more worry about how much I use it at night (with lithium batteries and a spare set). It is reported to last over 100 hours, which would handle several hours of non-stop usage for 25 or so nights.

On my first hike with my new headlamp, I just had to give night hiking with it a try, so after driving to my hike trailhead (normally would have spent the night in my car) I started hiking about 11 PM and hiked about 1 1/2 miles to my planned campsite, set up my tent around midnight and thoroughly enjoyed the Petzl. No problem hiking with it at night at all.

I'm getting ready to go on an 8-day hike this coming Saturday, and with there being more than 12 hours of darkness in October, I'm looking forward to the freedom this headlamp will give me. I used to just try to sleep 12 hours . . . hard for me to do. Now I don't have to. I can read, roam around the campsite area, or whatever! :)

Toolshed
10-13-2007, 08:35
Thumbs up for headlamps. You may not need it more than once a night (or less on full moons) in the middle of summer, but in spring and fall when it gets darker earlier, I consider a headlamp a necessity when I need both hands for other tasks.
I don't know about the Tikka, but I carried a Petzl Zoom for a decade and a Petzl Arctic for at least 6 winter seasons and found them to be incredibly reliable.

I still have my Zoom, but now keep an extremely lightweight Princeton Tec in my daypack, at the ready and for backpacking, and carry a Black Diamond Zenix for backpacking.

Lamp bulb type and output dictate Placement of the battery pack. The Tec has them in the front, the Zenix has them in the back. I think anything more than 2 AAA or AA batteries (might not be a concern with simple LEDS needed for summer hiking) needs to have the battery pack on the back of the head for balance.

Headlamps that require more or larger batteries have an "over the head" strap in addition to the "round the head" strap.

I don't mind the the additional over the head strap, but some find it uncomfortable especially when wearing winter headgear or a jacket with a rainhood.
I do find that for winter backpacking snowshoeing/ski trips, or just plain XC skiing after work in the winter, the stronger battery powered headlamps with the extra strap are just the ticket, but then again - probably overkill for summer.

Oh My God:eek: :eek: I just re-read my post and sound like a gear snob.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-13-2007, 08:37
you pee in a privy at nite?LW, I'm a girl so I pee in a privy if one is around, but since I'm not a fan of shelters. most of the time I pee in the woods near my stealth camp. Both require making sure I don't have a Tarlin-like experience (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=313105#post313105).

Appalachian Tater
10-13-2007, 10:02
I use a Zipka Plus every night unless going to sleep before dark. There may be occasional circumstances under which you have to hike at night and it could be considered part of your emergency kit. The batteries last a very long time, especially lithium batteries. Having different brightness settings helps with that.

rafe
10-13-2007, 10:08
Princeton Tec Scout. It uses four CR-2032 button cells, so it's very light. I don't hike in the dark, as a rule, but I'd never go into the woods for more than a casual stroll without a light of some kind. A headlamp just makes sense. Thought the hard core UL'ers will make do with just a tiny keychain LED lamp.

Frosty
10-13-2007, 10:14
Am I the only hiker who uses the Walmart $12.77 headlamp?

MOWGLI
10-13-2007, 10:15

Cheapskate. :sun

refreeman
10-13-2007, 10:15
I consider a headlamp essential hiking gear. Sometimes I take longer to reach my planned destination and run out of daylight. As the sun sets and trail turns to silhouette, you just can't see the roots and rocks without a light. So then you have a choice, stop and stay where you are or continue hiking and risk injury. In the dark falling becomes dangerous and if you can't see a steep rocky section you might be on your very last hike. You will be very angry with yourself if you find yourself in the deep woods in the dark far from where you want to be without a light.

So, let there be light. Flashlights are good, but that will cost you a hand. Headlamps shine where you look when positioned correctly. LED headlamps shine for hours with the same batteries, but I carry extra batteries too. LED's don't break or burnout like bulbs do. I use a Black Diamond Zenix IQ LED Headlamp. I am very happy with the Zenix, its light and great on batteries. Aside from hiking with the headlamp, setting up camp, pumping water and cooking in the dark are frequent times I use my headlamp. Free your hands use a headlamp.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-13-2007, 10:16
Am I the only hiker who uses the Walmart $12.77 headlamp?No - I'm a cheapskate too :D

Appalachian Tater
10-13-2007, 10:19
LED headlamps shine for hours with the same batteries, but I carry extra batteries too. LED's don't break or burnout like bulbs do.

I do't think it's necessary to carry extra batteries because the lamp dims over a period of time and doesn't suddenly go dead. If it gets dim, put in new batteries and get rid of the old ones, don't carry both. The lamp will be too dim to be useful well before the batteries are dead.

Appalachian Tater
10-13-2007, 10:22

No, but there are differences in quality, such as weight, waterproofness, and the brightness of the LEDs. The $40 headlamps should only cost $10--they could only cost a couple of dollars to make at most. There is probably a huge mark-up at all levels of distribution.
Plus, does the Wal-Mart lamp have a disco-flash setting??!!??:sun

FatMan
10-13-2007, 10:26
Am I the only hiker who uses the Walmart $12.77 headlamp?I don't know if mine is from walmart, but I paid about the same for mine. Been using it for about 7 years now with no problems.

I actually have two cheap headlamps, one that uses AA and one that uses AAA. The one I take depends on which MP3 player I am using, one of which uses AA and one of which uses AAA.:)

Blissful
10-13-2007, 10:29
I used mine mostly for the beginning and end of the hike when daylight hours were much shorter.
I used the Princeton Tec Aurora. I like one that runs on AAA as they are easier to relace if needed (though I only had to replace mine twice - once because the thing somehow turned on in my backpack all day. Then I was in the Smokies and this weekend backpacker had a boatload of batteries in his backpack and gave me 3 triple A's for free to replace the ones that had died. That was really neat)

rafe
10-13-2007, 10:30
I do't think it's necessary to carry extra batteries because the lamp dims over a period of time and doesn't suddenly go dead. If it gets dim, put in new batteries and get rid of the old ones, don't carry both. The lamp will be too dim to be useful well before the batteries are dead.

You're right, the batteries are long lasting and wear out very gradually.

Thing is, these newfangled hi-tech marvels requre nimble hands and sharp eyes and sometimes small tools to open up and change batteries. So as an old fart, I've concluded that I should either: a) change batteries in the daylight, before they fail, or b) carry a spare, eg. a Photon (http://www.photonlight.com/Photon-Micro-Light-I-Keychain-LED-Flashlights-p/p1-keychain-led-flashlight.htm). Or both.

Blissful
10-13-2007, 10:31
I bought a couple from Wal mart a few years back and they kept breaking. Esp the one that twists to turn it on. Maybe they got better ones now.

MOWGLI
10-13-2007, 10:32
My headlamp is probably my favorite piece of gear. I used to do a lot of surfcasting and night fishing,. and it's perfect for those situations. I also love to read in my tent and do the occasional crossword puzzle. Great minds think alike. :sun

faarside
10-13-2007, 11:10

Headlamp - YES. I use a Princeton Tec handheld 3-LED light (Campmor Item #55871), along with a Night Ize MiniFlashlight Headband (Campmor Item#80393). I find the combo is more flexible than just a headlamp or just a handheld alone.

hopefulhiker
10-13-2007, 11:11
I really did not use a headlamp on my thru hike.. I used two of those little photon lights. For a while I used one of those little CAT EYE three LED lamps that clamp to the bill of a cap. I rarely did any night hiking and I used a Pocket mail to do my journaling at night, It had a built in light..

Footslogger
10-13-2007, 11:13
=================================

I carry the original Petzl Tikka (about $20) - 3 LED's. I use it for journalling or locating things in my tent and for answering nature's call at night. One set of 3 - AAA'a (Duracell Alkalines) lasted me just about an entire thru hike in 2003 under those circumstances. Tried the Lithium AAA's in my Tikka but noticed that they overheated and caused flakey performance so I dropped back to the Alkalines.

I used to work for an outfitter and had the opportunity to play with and even buy many other headlamp models. Lots of neat features. Some brighter, some smaller ...but in the end they just eat up batteries faster and, at least in my experience, many/most of the glitsy features aren't worth that much in actual practice.

I did recently buy one of the newer Tikka's (still around $20, plus I had an REI coupon) although it's essentially the same light, it now can be aimed at different angles, which IS a valuable improvement over the original (Circa 90's) Tikka.

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
10-13-2007, 11:49
Bfitz and I both used the WalMart headlamps this summer. I'm not entirely sure one needs to spend 40-75 dollars for a flashlight.

refreeman
10-13-2007, 12:04
Bfitz and I both used the WalMart headlamps this summer. I'm not entirely sure one needs to spend 40-75 dollars for a flashlight.

Yes, headlamps are usually way over priced. I bought mine from steapandcheap.com for about $18.00. eBay is a great place to find a deal on them too. Shop around and you can at least cut their list price in half.

rafe
10-13-2007, 12:12
FWIW, Princeton Tec Scout (http://www.rei.com/product/736938) is $19.95 (regular price) at REI or Campmor. It weighs about 1.5 oz. A decent choice if you're counting grams and use it conservatively.

Uncle Silly
10-13-2007, 13:07

The nice thing about the Wal-Mart specials is that if you get a bad one, or it develops a problem, you're probably not far from a replacement. Wal-mart is great about swapping out a bad something-they-sell for a new one. Some outfitters will help you out if you have trouble with your $80 Petzl light, but others won't -- your only option will be to buy another and hope Petzl will fix the first one under warranty.

Oh, and who cares if I don't have the disco feature??

amigo
10-13-2007, 13:59
OK, now here's my contrarian view (way too much mutual backslapping on this thread):

I've used several kinds of headlamps over the years, at times, but not as a general rule. I no longer use one, for several reasons. One, most (yes, I know there are a few exceptions now) of them weigh more than my usual two light combo of a Photon (about .2 oz) and a Princeton Tech Blast (1.5 oz). Two, people who use headlamps tend to overuse them. That's why you will usually see spare batteries in their gear list. I no longer believe in carrying spare batteries or spare bulbs. I carry an entire spare light.

Three -- and here's my rant -- if you want to carry unnecessary weight and overuse the light, fine, HYOH. But I can't stand it when I approach a group of hikers at night (often standing around a campfire which is aready throwing off light) and they all have their lights on and they turn to look at me and I get lasered in the eyeballs by multiple lights. Then I have to yell at them and the conversation is already off to a bad start.

Point is, the headlamps become a crutch. The only time they are really of any noticeable benefit is when you are setting up your shelter on a dark night. But that's the result of your poor planning in not gauging the remaining daylight properly. Any other two-handed task is best done in daylight. So the headlamp is a crutch to fix your screw-up. Besides, it's easy enough to hold the Photon in your mouth for the 5 minutes it takes to set up. (Mizz Dino, just what is it you do in the privy that takes two hands?:-? Never mind, LOL, don't answer that, I like your writing and don't want you mad at me. :D)

I think that the typical modern hiker look -- hiking poles, a hydration pack with mouth tube, and a headlamp -- makes it look like the woods are populated with one-eyed polio victims on life support.

In all seriousness, I think the Blast is a phenomenal light and I don't know why no talks about it -- unbelievably bright for it's weight. I use it sparingly, usually only for finding a bear bag tree at night (due to my poor plannning, lol) or for sweeping the woods when I wake up to what sounds like 250 pound footfalls in the night.

atraildreamer
10-13-2007, 14:01

I picked up two of the Walmart headlamps, the ones with the 2 white LEDs and the center red LED. My wife uses hers when she is doing her arts and crafts work and needs some extra light to see her work.

She recently had knee surgery, and is using crutches to get around the house until she recuperates. One night, after I had gone to bed early, I woke up when she came into the bedroom, and was startled :eek: to see this red glowing appararition moving through the bedroom. Not wanting to turn on the lights and disturb me, and being unable to hold a regular flashlight while using crutches, she had put on the headlamp so that she could manuever to her side of the bed! :D

rafe
10-13-2007, 14:19
Point is, the headlamps become a crutch.

No more or less so than any other piece of gear. Daylight is precious early or late in the season. Ask the SOBOs still on the trail to give up theirs. :rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
10-13-2007, 14:34
(way too much mutual backslapping on this thread)

. . . Then I have to yell at them and the conversation is already off to a bad start.
. . . Point is, the headlamps become a crutch.
But that's the result of your poor planning in not gauging the remaining daylight properly. Any other two-handed task is best done in daylight. So the headlamp is a crutch to fix your screw-up.
-- makes it look like the woods are populated with one-eyed polio victims on life support.

Have your ever really been on the trail. I've rarely seen someone with time on the AT with such acrid, repugnant energy oozing from them.
Yuck. There's plenty of hateful forums and sites you can visit on the internet that you would be well versed at. Please. . . go find them, you'll enjoy them so much more.
Peace to you, it's a tall order.

FanaticFringer
10-13-2007, 17:44
OK, now here's my contrarian view (way too much mutual backslapping on this thread):

I've used several kinds of headlamps over the years, at times, but not as a general rule. I no longer use one, for several reasons. One, most (yes, I know there are a few exceptions now) of them weigh more than my usual two light combo of a Photon (about .2 oz) and a Princeton Tech Blast (1.5 oz). Two, people who use headlamps tend to overuse them. That's why you will usually see spare batteries in their gear list. I no longer believe in carrying spare batteries or spare bulbs. I carry an entire spare light.

Three -- and here's my rant -- if you want to carry unnecessary weight and overuse the light, fine, HYOH. But I can't stand it when I approach a group of hikers at night (often standing around a campfire which is aready throwing off light) and they all have their lights on and they turn to look at me and I get lasered in the eyeballs by multiple lights. Then I have to yell at them and the conversation is already off to a bad start.

Point is, the headlamps become a crutch. The only time they are really of any noticeable benefit is when you are setting up your shelter on a dark night. But that's the result of your poor planning in not gauging the remaining daylight properly. Any other two-handed task is best done in daylight. So the headlamp is a crutch to fix your screw-up. Besides, it's easy enough to hold the Photon in your mouth for the 5 minutes it takes to set up. (Mizz Dino, just what is it you do in the privy that takes two hands?:-? Never mind, LOL, don't answer that, I like your writing and don't want you mad at me. :D)

I think that the typical modern hiker look -- hiking poles, a hydration pack with mouth tube, and a headlamp -- makes it look like the woods are populated with one-eyed polio victims on life support.

In all seriousness, I think the Blast is a phenomenal light and I don't know why no talks about it -- unbelievably bright for it's weight. I use it sparingly, usually only for finding a bear bag tree at night (due to my poor plannning, lol) or for sweeping the woods when I wake up to what sounds like 250 pound footfalls in the night.

Night hiking is cool. I even use 2 crutches.

Skidsteer
10-13-2007, 20:16
I like the Pelican brand described in this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27546&highlight=pelican).

Pretty economical and very versatile.

Lightweight.

Lilred
10-13-2007, 21:49

Nope I use that one too, although I'll need to replace it. After 3 years it is starting to fall apart.

I wouldn't dream of hiking without a headlamp. I even take one on day hikes. You never know......... I use mine every day when I'm on the trail.

Lilred
10-13-2007, 22:00
Nope I use that one too, although I'll need to replace it. After 3 years it is starting to fall apart.

I wouldn't dream of hiking without a headlamp. I even take one on day hikes. You never know......... I use mine every day when I'm on the trail.

or should I say, every night.......

I liked the story of the wife on crutches using the headlamp. My hubbie now uses mine any time he works on something at night or is under the sink fixing plumbing....

Sly
10-13-2007, 22:41
I have the cheap Eveready with my only complaint that the sliding switch tends to turn itself on. This year I bought the Petzl E+ Lite but lost it after a week. Typically, on a long distance hike, I use Photons

amigo
10-14-2007, 20:19
Uh, Warragh? The tone of my post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Sorry I didn't make that clear enough. (That is, I don't actually yell at people on the trail, etc.)

Sheesh...

Chache
10-14-2007, 20:50
Uh, Warragh? The tone of my post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Sorry I didn't make that clear enough. (That is, I don't actually yell at people on the trail, etc.)

Sheesh...
I thought you were going for the laugh. I guess everyone reads into a post what they want.

shelterbuilder
10-14-2007, 20:52

I use one similar to yours - Lowe's $12 version by Brinkmann. It has 2 very bright LED's and swivels up and down. I was a bit annoyed with it at first because the LED's tended to shine down into my eyes, but a little black tape on the underside was all it took to fix the problem.

Chache
10-14-2007, 21:07
I have the Pricton tec Eos. I have a handyman biz and I keep it in my tool belt when not hiking. I use it every day. http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%20LED/Princeton%20Tec%20EOS/Lynne%20Durham/Long%20Term%20Report/eos
I just got this little lamp from Coleman. Its 8 oz but it really lights up your camp site. I just got back from hiking in Utah and it was nice to have.
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/Detail.asp?Product_id=4347-701

buckowens
10-14-2007, 21:21
Roo and I each carry one as we like to journal and do separate chores at night. No need for great expense here, as most LED headlamps appear comparable. You may get some weight savings here and there, but you have to have batteries regardless.

I have recently started using a headlamp for home improvement chores and found it to work great. It is especially super for wiring and close up work with older eyes...

warraghiyagey
10-15-2007, 01:17
I thought you were going for the laugh. I guess everyone reads into a post what they want.

I was hoping it was for a laugh to but it finished well beyond humor. By the time he got to Polio victim it hust became a little too rancid for a laugh.

EWS
10-15-2007, 01:23
And I thought that was the funniest part...

warraghiyagey
10-15-2007, 01:28
And I thought that was the funniest part...

I don't doubt it.

Appalachian Tater
10-15-2007, 01:37
Anyone who thinks polio victims are funny has never actually met one, I can assure you.

EWS
10-15-2007, 01:38
Back on topic...

My favorite is the Petzl Zipka. If they'd make the light angle adjustable it'd be perfect. Nonetheless, I like it because you can put it in your pocket and not even notice it is there, and it is bright enough for nearly all situations.

mudhead
10-15-2007, 06:14
Roo and I each carry one as we like to journal and do separate chores at night. No need for great expense here, as most LED headlamps appear comparable. You may get some weight savings here and there, but you have to have batteries regardless.

I have recently started using a headlamp for home improvement chores and found it to work great. It is especially super for wiring and close up work with older eyes...

You get sick of digging out the headlight and buy one for the toolbox yet?

JoeHiker
10-15-2007, 13:18
Has anyone here used those PakLite 9 volt flashlights?

http://www.9voltlight.com

I have one and absolutely love it. Super compact, can store it in any pocket, plenty bright and up to 1200 hours on one battery. They actually have a headband accessory that you can put on and put two such lights in it for a headlamp.

I always bring a headlamp but I NEVER leave for a hike without my PakLite. Fantastic piece of gear.

ki0eh
10-15-2007, 15:04
You get sick of digging out the headlight and buy one for the toolbox yet?

Gosh, we've got five or so, one for home, one for the cabin, one for each car, in hopes of finding one when we need it. :D A Black Diamond and a Wally World cheapie both have let me down hiking so Petzl Tikka Plus is what most of them are feeling it's good to have batteries that look like something you can actually buy in West Bum***. Same for the old Sony waterproof camera, we had to buy emergency batteries in Frostburg yesterday for it proving said point...

take-a-knee
10-15-2007, 15:06
They sell 9-volt lithiums now, they are in the smoke detector section at Lowe's.

Chache
10-15-2007, 18:24
I was hoping it was for a laugh to but it finished well beyond humor. By the time he got to Polio victim it hust became a little too rancid for a laugh.
I also thought that was the most creative and funny part

Appalachian Tater
10-15-2007, 18:35
I also thought that was the most creative and funny part

Then why don't you look here: http://images.google.com/images?q=polio+victim

or talk to my mother who had polio, or my cousin who is in a wheel-chair from post-polio syndrome. People who have polio are frequently unable to walk at all. They use a wheelchair, a rolling board, or crawl. I understand that most people in the U.S. have not seen the effects of polio, but they haven't seen the effects of leprosy, either.

Nightwalker
10-15-2007, 21:38
On my first hike with my new headlamp, I just had to give night hiking with it a try, so after driving to my hike trailhead (normally would have spent the night in my car) I started hiking about 11 PM and hiked about 1 1/2 miles to my planned campsite, set up my tent around midnight and thoroughly enjoyed the Petzl. No problem hiking with it at night at all.

If it ever dies, try a Tikka+. 4 LEDs, 3 brightness settings, and a strobe function. Of all my lights, it's my favorite.

Pootz
10-19-2007, 13:37
Unless you plan to night hike you do not need an extreamly bright light. During my thru hike I found it anoying when someone would turn on one of those bright lights in the shelter and wake everyone up. How much light do you need to go to the bathroom. I used a 2 led light that run on 2 AAA batteries. Plenty of light.

refreeman
10-19-2007, 13:49
Unless you plan to night hike you do not need an extreamly bright light. During my thru hike I found it anoying when someone would turn on one of those bright lights in the shelter and wake everyone up. How much light do you need to go to the bathroom. I used a 2 led light that run on 2 AAA batteries. Plenty of light.

Its much more likely that you will night hike at some point. Never buy a headlamp because it is dull and you don't disturb other hikers, your safety in more important. That said, most good headlights have two settings or more. A bright and dull setting. bright will help keep you from tripping while night hiking, dull will save batteries and be polite in camp. If someone doesn't use their dull setting in camp they are just rude; And it would be very appropriate to ask them to use their dull setting.

rafe
10-19-2007, 14:03
Its much more likely that you will night hike at some point.

Curious why you say that. I've done almost no night-hiking. Prolly less than 5 miles total on the AT.

refreeman
10-19-2007, 17:54
Curious why you say that. I've done almost no night-hiking. Prolly less than 5 miles total on the AT.

Several reasons:
Needing to do more miles than normal in a day, for example; The weekend is coming and I want to get to town before Sunday so I can get my mail drop so I need to push another 7 miles in the dark.

OR the trail was tougher than I thought and I still have 5 miles to go and the sun set.

OR I need water and this site is DRY, if I hike and the 4 mile in the dark I'll have water.

Well you must be excellent following a scheule.

Montego
11-22-2007, 18:59
I do not plan to do night hiking, however, we all know how our plans go out the window sometimes :eek: .

As I continue to research and purchase the best gear (for me), a couple of questions popped up.

1: I know that you can get AA Alkys just about anywhere, but are AA Lithium batteries reasonably available along the AT corridor?

2: Does anyone here own or have used a Streamlight brand of headlamps? I'm interested in either the Argo HP LED or the Septor LED models and which of these two, in your collective wisdom, would be the better to have?

I did research others like Petzl, Black Diamond, Princeston, and Wally World and tend to like the Streamlight ones better.

take-a-knee
11-22-2007, 20:04
You don't necessarily need lithiums for your headlamp unless it is well below freezing. Just keep lithiums for your spares (they are lighter). Lithiums cost more per watt and duracells will do everything they will except work in the cold. If you want extra lithiums bounce box them. Hog on Ice stated that some headlamps don't work well with lithiums 'cause their voltage is slightly different, check the owner's manual.

Kerosene
11-23-2007, 00:02
I carry a 1 oz. Black Diamond Ion plus a 0.5 oz. Phaser pennylight for a backup. I do not night hike and do not want to lug something that I'll rarely use.

take-a-knee
11-23-2007, 00:23
A better plan for night hiking might be to have a small headlamp just so you can safely see to place your feet and have a brighter light to look for turns. blazes etc. If the headlamp had a colored lens you could close your dominant eye when you turned the bright hand light on you'll preserve the visual purple (rhodopsin) in your dominate eye. Both pupils will constrict and you'll lose most of your night vision for 4-5min until the pupil in your dominant eye dialates again. This happens much faster than regaining the rhodopsin however. Princeton Tec makes a slick little AAA LED light that weighs 3 oz.

clured
11-23-2007, 00:44
I carried a Freedom Force Micro LED last summer. At first I used it all the time because I would usually end up pitching camp pretty late and I needed the light to get all my stuff laid up/tucked into bed, and then again in the morning to break down if I was up before dawn. But after a while I got tired of constantly buying new batteries, and I got to the point where I could do everything--set up and tear down--entirely by feel, so I just got rid of it somewhere around CT. I liked it better without; more natural, somehow.

Smile
11-23-2007, 01:17
Has anybody used one of those little 1 oz black diamond headlamps? They apparently don't throw much light on the ground ahead of you, but I like the weight :)

Bearpaw
11-23-2007, 01:48
I really like the Princeton Tec EOS. I night hike from time to time, especially in winter, and the EOS throws an excellent beam for that purpose.

When I thru-hiked in 99, the only headlamps out there were huge Petzls and the like that few would want to backpack with. I used a Mini-Mag with the headband. But in 2000, I saw my first LED headlamp, and I never went back to handhelds.

AT_Disciple
11-23-2007, 11:03
My opinion: essential compo net of basic gear
What I use: Tikka XP
My impression:luv it but find it a bit large...considering a smaller one. also wish it had a lower-light mode than it does

Montego
12-05-2007, 22:15
Well, I just ordered a new headlight and it should be here by next week. After a bunch of research I settled on the Princeton Apex. Yeah I know, it's bulky, heavy, and overpriced, but the light output is supposed to be amazing and I not only got it for about half the MSRP, I also got free shipping (Yaaahhhoooo).

Detour Gear Zone has them on sale now for $55.96 new (though, probably last years model) - cheaper than eBy for a used one. BTW, my old eyes need LOTS of light LOL.

Appalachian Tater
12-05-2007, 22:19
I use it every night in my tent and around camp. It is an essential safety item as you might have to hike at night.

Dakota Dan
12-05-2007, 22:31
You don't necessarily need lithiums for your headlamp unless it is well below freezing.....

No doubt Lithiums are the ones to use in cold weather. I use a Petzl Duo with 5 LED's, It has an optional extension cord and battery pack to keep under cloths. So, luckily, I'm still able to use alkalines in sub-freezing temps.

Tinker
12-06-2007, 00:58
http://www.e-headlamps.com/cyclops_atom.aspThis is my current favorite. I have a P-T Matrix 2 (1 watt led), a Brinkmann 2 led model, and a non-functional Black Diamond Moonlight 4 led model, which I stepped on and it hasn't been the same. My Petzl Tikka (original model) met its end under the wheel of a forklift I was operating at the Home Depot about 5 years ago.

sheepdog
12-06-2007, 18:43
I bought a panther vision cap light this year. It has two LED's built right into the bill. Works 30 hours on two 2032 watch batteries. I usually wear a ball cap anyway. Now I always have an extra light. It works good for reading in the shelter, late night pee breaks etc....

Lellers
12-07-2007, 16:05
Funny headlamp story... at least I think it's funny. My mom is 77 and has osteoporosis. Lots of problems getting around. She lives alone, and gets up in the middle of the night a lot. She saw my headlamp once, and thought she'd like one for nighttime trips to the bathroom. In the middle of the night, she was either switching on blinding room lights or trying to navigate from one small puddle of nightlight to another. So I gave her a cheap-ish headlamp and told her to give it a try. Well, she loves the thing. I thought she was simply keeping it by her bed and slipping it on when she gets up.
So back in September, she had some outpatient surgery and, good daughter that I am, I took care of her afterwards. Her pain meds knocked her right out. Around 11:00 p.m. I went into her room and she was sound asleep in bed, mouth open, snoring like a lumberjack, headlamp on her head shining up at the ceiling. She says she puts it on every night before she falls and sleep, including turning the light on. "Isn't that what you're supposed to do?"

The Cheat
12-07-2007, 17:39
I try to avoid using any light while hiking at night.

karo
12-07-2007, 20:03
You don't necessarily need lithiums for your headlamp unless it is well below freezing. Just keep lithiums for your spares (they are lighter). Lithiums cost more per watt and duracells will do everything they will except work in the cold. If you want extra lithiums bounce box them. Hog on Ice stated that some headlamps don't work well with lithiums 'cause their voltage is slightly different, check the owner's manual.
HOI and I both mentioned this on a thread just a few weeks ago. Petzel DOES NOT recommend that you use lithium batteries in some models. They could even catch fire if I remember right. I do use my headlamp often as sometimes you do get caught out after dark. I try not to hike in the dark after a broken ankle a few years ago doing that very thing. I am currently nursing a sprain on that ankle. BTW, several mentioned here that they used the Tikka plus headlamp. I had one till it cracked at the point where the batteries go in. It would open while hiking which was no fun trying to find the batteries after they were projected in 3 different directions, LOL. I now have the Tikka XP after trading in the old one. REI took it back and said they had seen a few of those problems with that plus model. I really like the XP even tho it is pricey, it is well worth it. A very bright 1 watt led with different light levels and a flood/spot function and a battery indicator. It also has a 50% boost mode that last 20 sec when you hold down the boost button. I also have the Wally World $15 headlamp that I use for hunting.

karo
12-07-2007, 20:07
http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesNews?News=159
News about Petzel headlamps and lithium batteries.

Also I need to mention that Petzel does have a great return policy. I had the pouch for my headlamp and the zipper broke. They just sent me a replacement pouch. I keep it on my pack belt so it is handy.

JAK
12-07-2007, 20:20
LW, I'm a girl so I pee in a privy if one is around, but since I'm not a fan of shelters. most of the time I pee in the woods near my stealth camp. Both require making sure I don't have a Tarlin-like experience (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=313105#post313105).Do you hover, or do only she dragons do that?
Sorry. Don't answer that. Too personal. :)

jtbradyl
12-09-2007, 14:41
Here's something. I bought a small lightweight wind up powered square LED flashlight (2 watts). I put velcro on its bottom and velcro on the bill of my cap. Now when I need the convenience of a head lamp I just stick the flashlight on the bill of the cap. And remove it for more specific lighting or for use aroung the house.

Roots
12-09-2007, 17:31
Been there done that...I love my E+lite!:D

karo
12-10-2007, 14:42
Here's something. I bought a small lightweight wind up powered square LED flashlight (2 watts). I put velcro on its bottom and velcro on the bill of my cap. Now when I need the convenience of a head lamp I just stick the flashlight on the bill of the cap. And remove it for more specific lighting or for use aroung the house.
What is the name of your wind-up and where did you find it?