PDA

View Full Version : Weather forcast for early hikers in Ga

11-16-2003, 22:37
Just heard on the radio out of Atlanta that the long range forecast for Feb. is calling for above average snow and ice. I know these forecast are not very accurate, but something to keep an eye on.

I know some of you people from up North might laugh at our snow amounts but the real problem is the ice. I have seen 3-5 inches in late Jan. early Feb.and heard of more covering the trail. 90% of the time there is little problems for spring hikers. but keep in mind the day we started our hike in '00 it sleeted for 4-6 hours and got in the low 20's with lots of wind gusts. Our start date was March 11.

Take the forecast for what they are worth.

Profile '00
hikerhostel.com

Patco
12-29-2003, 10:21
My poll vote was from my dad's report in 2001 when the first night it was 14 deg, windy, and he slept under a GoLite tarp in a 10 deg bag. Brrrrr. His start date was MAR 4.

Moon Monster
12-30-2003, 00:30
I had a beautiful 72º day on Springer on March 9, 2003. It was near 80 when I went through Neels Gap. My coldest day was 3 weeks later on April 1 and I saw sleet in late April accross Chestnut Knob in Virginia. Can't predict them southern Appalachians.

hungryhowie
12-30-2003, 15:12
Just heard on the radio out of Atlanta that the long range forecast for Feb. is calling for above average snow and ice. I know these forecast are not very accurate, but something to keep an eye on.

I know some of you people from up North might laugh at our snow amounts but the real problem is the ice. I have seen 3-5 inches in late Jan. early Feb.and heard of more covering the trail. 90% of the time there is little problems for spring hikers. but keep in mind the day we started our hike in '00 it sleeted for 4-6 hours and got in the low 20's with lots of wind gusts. Our start date was March 11.

Take the forecast for what they are worth.

Profile '00
hikerhostel.com

Don't you remember the night of the 11th? It got down to 7*F at Woods Hole Shelter just a few miles up the trail! Other than that night and a few others scattered throughout the south, though, it was usually in the mid 20s - 30s from what I remember.

For the record, I started on March 9, 2000.

-Hungry Howie & The New Sushi
www.newsushi.net

Kozmic Zian
02-14-2004, 17:22
Yea...Cold Ga. It was fairly cold for 'down south', when I went thru in '96. If I remember right, that 1st week we had lots of frost on the pumpkin. But like some of the others have stated, N. GA mountains are very unpredictable. Be ready for the cold. If you start before May lst. The Smokys are totally out of order for prediction. It ices up there in June sometimes, I hear. Better to be safe and carry an extra couple pieces o' gear, than be sorry and freeze yo' butte off! KZ@

Tinker
02-14-2004, 18:14
My poll vote was from my dad's report in 2001 when the first night it was 14 deg, windy, and he slept under a GoLite tarp in a 10 deg bag. Brrrrr. His start date was MAR 4.

That's the only date in the calendar year which is a command - March Forth.

Next year on that date I hope to.

Tinker