PDA

View Full Version : PA summer of 08

Painted Turtle
10-13-2007, 12:00
I am looking at completing PA this summer and have started to plan. As of now I will be going from south to north starting at Pen Mar and ending at RT 72 / RT81.

I will begin my hike some time near the beginning of July (drive school bus).

I am 61 and as my Trail Name implies slow. If you think you would like to join me now is the time to start talking.

c.coyle
10-13-2007, 13:13
...I will begin my hike some time near the beginning of July (drive school bus). ...

School buses aren't allowed on the AT in Pa. ;)

Seriously, if you need a lift or anything, let me know.

YeOldeBackpacker
10-13-2007, 16:03
Watch you water situation around that time of year, a lot of the springs dry up,
If you need anything give us a call.

Painted Turtle
10-13-2007, 19:57
Yea I know about the water.
In fact I found out the hard way. Started on RT 72 by the time I got to William Penn Shelter I had gone through 2 liters of Gatorade and 3 liters of water. By the time I got to the 501 shelter I was almost a heat stroke victim. No water at WP and the heat index was 110. My body had just shut down. Took me 45 minutes to get from kimmel Lookout to 501 shelter. :mad:

Cookerhiker
10-13-2007, 20:28
Good that you're aware of the water situation and you also know that heat & humidity can be oppressive at those low elevations.

On the plus side, the stretch you're hiking isn't as rocky as what you've done in PA although there are a few rockfields - nothing like Bake Oven. Meanwhile, you get to embark in the half-gallon challenge! As a section hiker, you need only finish a pint.:o

And then there's the Doyle - don't need any water there!

Painted Turtle
10-13-2007, 20:59
Roger the pint. :):D