PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Maryland AT hike over Thanksgiving weekend

dessertrat
10-13-2007, 15:41
I am thinking of doing a three or four day Maryland AT hike, starting, most likely, from Greenbrier State Park. I would prefer to do a "there and back" so as not to have to cadge a ride back to my car.

Given that Greenbrier is about 20 miles from Harpers Ferry, and also 20 miles from PA border, would you recommend for a four day hike, all other things being equal, going north to PA and back, or south to WV and back? Which would have better scenery, etc.?

And yes, I expect it to be quite cold at the end of November up in the mountains, even in Maryland, and perhaps to snow, rain, or sleet, and will be prepared. (I will likely cancel if it looks like rain or snow most of the time).

Sly
10-13-2007, 17:45
I don't have the MD map handy, but I think you could do some kind of loop including the Catoctin Mountain Trail or some trails in Grambrill State Park. It's been awhile since I lived up that way so my memory is foggy.

Cookerhiker
10-13-2007, 18:12
I am thinking of doing a three or four day Maryland AT hike, starting, most likely, from Greenbrier State Park. I would prefer to do a "there and back" so as not to have to cadge a ride back to my car.

Given that Greenbrier is about 20 miles from Harpers Ferry, and also 20 miles from PA border, would you recommend for a four day hike, all other things being equal, going north to PA and back, or south to WV and back? Which would have better scenery, etc.?

And yes, I expect it to be quite cold at the end of November up in the mountains, even in Maryland, and perhaps to snow, rain, or sleet, and will be prepared. (I will likely cancel if it looks like rain or snow most of the time).

Despite living in Maryland, I don't hike the AT here too often. My first instinct is to advise hiking south because it's cool approaching Harpers Ferry. After walking on the ridge, you come to Weverton Cliffs. The AT turns 90 degrees right to descend but if you continue about 100 yards on a blue-blaze, you come to a fabulous view of the Potomac at Weverton Cliffs. It's a nice place to camp and catch both the sunrise and sunset. Just make sure you have enough water if you camp up top there.

Hiking north, the best part is probably in your first mile - Annapolis Rocks. But the other advantage of hiking north is that you can hike a circuit by returning on the Catoctin Trail like Sly alluded to. Now, this will involve some road walking but it does give you an different return. Make sure you have the latest MD map from the PATC (http://potomacappalachian.org/).

You're right about the weather: late November can feature anything from sunny 70 degree days to snow and eveerything in-between.

One more caution based on my own November hiking: newly fallen dry brown oak leaves can be very slippery.

thestin
10-13-2007, 18:16
One other thing about November is that it is hunting season. I was amazed at the amount of shooting I heard on my trip last November.

Cookerhiker
10-13-2007, 18:28
November in Maryland was where Stumpknocker (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=162272) had a severe fall.

But it could have happened to any one, in any month, at any place on the AT (well, maybe not on the C&O Canal, also in MD!).

Shiraz-mataz
10-14-2007, 10:11
desertrat, I just finished up hiking the Maryland portion last week. We were going to do the whole thing back in May, hiking north from Harpers Ferry. We were way too heavy on that first attempt and ended up only making it Greenbrier. Weverton was a bit of a climb but that was about the toughest park of the southern half. We were tired and blew right past the view of HF.

Last week we started at Pen Mar and headed south. Even though it included the toughest portion of Maryland, the rock scramble up Quirack Mountain, I'd have to say that it was somewhat easier in the long run. And there were better views (in my opinion) and more of them along the northern half. About an hour into your hike south you will make it to High Rock. We overnighted at the Ens. Cowell Shelter and pressed on toward Greenbrier. The second day also has some good views at Black Rock and Annapolis Rocks.

If I had to do it over again I would be smarter about my pack weight and hike from Pen Mar south to Harpers Ferry in three days. As for shuttling back to your car... can't help you there.

dessertrat
10-14-2007, 12:12
If it comes right down to it, I suppose a cab for forty miles from Harper's Ferry to my car wouldn't be too expensive? Anyone know if there are any cab companies out of Harper's Ferry? It would be cool to just do the whole thing in Maryland.

Cookerhiker
10-14-2007, 12:42
If it comes right down to it, I suppose a cab for forty miles from Harper's Ferry to my car wouldn't be too expensive? Anyone know if there are any cab companies out of Harper's Ferry? It would be cool to just do the whole thing in Maryland.

Why don't you advertise for a shuttle here on WB? BTW, I can't shuttle you - I'll be in Australia.

rafe
10-14-2007, 18:20

There's a current list of shuttle providers on this (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.806835/k.10F4/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm) page of the ATC website:

<http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.806835/k.10F4/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm>

It's a PDF.

rubyvermonter
10-18-2007, 12:35
Hi dessertrat,

I've posted a couple of times, trying to see if anyone was interested in backpacking Veteran's Day week-end or between 12/22 and 12/30. I was planning on visiting my folks over Thanksgiving. I've section-hiked from central Maine down to the Delaware Water Gap over the past few years (primarily solo, but I don't want to backpack alone in November and December). I was looking at PA for Veteran's Day and MD to VA for December. Would you like company on the trail? Any possibility you want to join me on my proposed dates? I would also think about visiting my folks Veteran's Day week-end instead.

Phyllis

dessertrat
10-18-2007, 12:56
I can't do Veteran's Day weekend, my time off plan is for Thanksgiving weekend. I also planned to take off after christmas through new years, and might be able to do that.

caiti pi
10-18-2007, 13:27
Make sure you take a look off of High Rock and Anapollis Rock! amazing sights!! just take the blue blazes, they're both less then 2 miles off the AT