PDA

View Full Version : So how many miles are the PA ROCKS?

2009ThruHiker
10-13-2007, 22:40
Just wondering how many miles I will expect in the infamous section of the AT where the PA rocks try to take over my feet?

Sly
10-13-2007, 22:43
If I recall correctly about 70 miles of PA (from just south of Port Clinton), then a bit into NJ.

Just a Hiker
10-13-2007, 23:17
removed post

rafe
10-13-2007, 23:20
I went from Bear Mtn. southbound all the way to (almost) Pearisburg. I kinda wondered where the Pennsylvania rocks would end (heading sobo). They never did. Not in Maryland, not in northern Virginia, not in Shenandoah, and not even on Sinking Creek Mountain.

Blissful
10-13-2007, 23:23
The rocks of PA get you ready for the bigger rock and boulder climbing in NH and Maine. I was actually glad for the experience (even though my feet did need some rest between the two)

Sly
10-13-2007, 23:27
I went from Bear Mtn. southbound all the way to (almost) Pearisburg. I kinda wondered where the Pennsylvania rocks would end (heading sobo). They never did. Not in Maryland, not in northern Virginia, not in Shenandoah, and not even on Sinking Creek Mountain.

LOL... no they never really do end. I think when most people speak of the PA rocks they mean those pointy, little, buried, rocks that cover the trail and tend to hurt through the bottom of their boots or shoes.

take-a-knee
10-13-2007, 23:46
I hiked a small section south of Carlise PA many years ago, those rocks in the trail were TOUGH! It was in the fall and the trail was covered with leafs and it was easy to trip. I think it is PA's awful freeze/thaw cycle that pushes all those rocks up. There are farmer's fields there surrounded by stone walls that still cough up rocks every spring when they plow. It gets cold and stays cold farther north and the frost heave isn't as bad.
I've used New Balance trail shoes on southern trails, I'm not sure that would be a good idea up there, even with a really light pack. Plantar Faciitis is quite a pain.

Sly
10-13-2007, 23:54
I hiked a small section south of Carlise PA many years ago, those rocks in the trail were TOUGH! It was in the fall and the trail was covered with leafs and it was easy to trip. I think it is PA's awful freeze/thaw cycle that pushes all those rocks up.

I think I read in WF's book how it's a certain type of geological feature. The rocks have a certain name. I chuckle when people suggest if they only moved the trail several feet either way it would be easier when in reality the entire mountain top is covered that way.

SweetAss03
10-14-2007, 01:34
Just a hiker...

Did you forget about the great beer? Don't get me wrong I agree with you about the food...but what about the beer.

Don't worry about the rocks 2009, they are there, they aren't going to leave, but they are not that big of a deal.

Happy Trails
SweetAss03

FFTorched
10-14-2007, 02:02
Quarry Gap is one of my favorite shelters that I've seen in PA. There may be nicer ones but from what I've experienced they are nice, and there is water feet away from the shelter.

stranger
10-14-2007, 03:16
The PA rocky section is mostly from Port Clinton until just north of the DWG, but there are rocks throughout PA and Maryland. From Pen Mar to Duncannon has very few rocks, from Duncannon to Port Clinton not so bad, etc...I remember Leroy Shelter to DWG being very rocky the 3 times I've been through, but the terrain in PA is so easy so don't worry about it.

2009ThruHiker
10-14-2007, 09:09
Hey there, don't stress over PA! The food in the trail towns is some of the best on the trail, and the lean-to's are pretty cool. Finding water is a drag sometimes, but it's not so bad in PA. Have fun with it!

Just Jim

No stressing here, wouldn't do any good! Thanks for the encouragement though. Hiked a 14 mile, 2 day over some of the worst rocks imaginable (for someone who hasn't hiked the AT) on some side trails in the SNP and the thought occured: training ground for PA! But it sounds to me like the PA rocks are just another section of rocks, maybe jagged, pointy at times...hmmm...what's all the complaints about that section then? The 70 miles straight of them? Guess I'll know soon enough.

SGT Rock
10-14-2007, 09:12
So this section can be crossed in about 5 days give or take a day then.

Don H
10-14-2007, 09:43
I just did the Port Clinton to DWG section last week and averaged 14 miles per day. The sections of big rocks that you have to hop over slow you down. Dan's Pulpit and Bake Oven Knob are two sections that have the big hoppin, rocks. I just cut back from my usual pace, took my time and tried to keep my feet flat on the ground as much as possible. The slower pace actually made this section my most enjoyable hike yet. Shoes with stiff lasts and Superfeet insoles helped too. The biggest problem I had was finding water!

rafe
10-14-2007, 11:23
So this section can be crossed in about 5 days give or take a day then.

Rock, I wouldn't worry about it. IMO, PA is pretty easy hiking. And I'm an old geezer. It can be hot, dry, and a bit boring. But aside from Lehigh Gap, there was no part of PA that was particularly difficult or challenging. Take care around the rattlesnake dens just north of Duncannon. ;)

Sly
10-14-2007, 11:31
It's a piece of cake but, mentally challenging, especially when your feet start hurting. It gets boring.

Cookerhiker
10-14-2007, 11:33
The PA rocky section is mostly from Port Clinton until just north of the DWG, but there are rocks throughout PA and Maryland. From Pen Mar to Duncannon has very few rocks, from Duncannon to Port Clinton not so bad, etc...I remember Leroy Shelter to DWG being very rocky the 3 times I've been through, but the terrain in PA is so easy so don't worry about it.

I just did the Port Clinton to DWG section last week and averaged 14 miles per day. The sections of big rocks that you have to hop over slow you down. Dan's Pulpit and Bake Oven Knob are two sections that have the big hoppin, rocks. I just cut back from my usual pace, took my time and tried to keep my feet flat on the ground as much as possible. The slower pace actually made this section my most enjoyable hike yet. Shoes with stiff lasts and Superfeet insoles helped too. The biggest problem I had was finding water!

I think these 2 posts are your best advice on PA rocks. The only change from my experience is I recall the first annoying NOBO rockfield coming before Port Clinton after the ascent from crossing I-81 at Swatara Gap. Of course, maybe that's because I broke a bone in my foot on this stretch.:mad:

Oh, make sure you follow the AT white blazes and not the State Game Lands white bars which are larger but still potentially confusing.

Sly
10-14-2007, 11:51
The only change from my experience is I recall the first annoying NOBO rockfield coming before Port Clinton after the ascent from crossing I-81 at Swatara Gap. Of course, maybe that's because I broke a bone in my foot on this stretch.:mad:

There's a nice blueblaze in this area that may avoid those rocks (I forget). Shortly after 501 shelter you continue straight on an old road rather than taking a right. I think it was just after a paved road crossing. It's a nice walk and has a nice spring about half way through on your right that's easily visible. You'll miss the Eagles Nest Shelter. The alternate route is also easy to spot on the map and crosses the AT atleast once towards the end just before Port Clinton.

We slacked it from the shelter! :D

weary
10-14-2007, 12:18
Just wondering how many miles I will expect in the infamous section of the AT where the PA rocks try to take over my feet?
About a thousand. The rocks continue in some fashion or other all the way to Katahdin. PA rocks tend to be a bit smaller because they are creatures of the southern range of the ice cap that covered lands from Pennsylvania north 12,000 years ago. Most of the bigger rocks didn't make it all the way to the southern end of the ice.

Weary

Toolshed
10-14-2007, 12:33
There's a nice blueblaze in this area that may avoid those rocks (I forget). Shortly after 501 shelter you continue straight on an old road rather than taking a right. I think it was just after a paved road crossing. It's a nice walk and has a nice spring about half way through on your right that's easily visible. You'll miss the Eagles Nest Shelter. The alternate route is also easy to spot on the map and crosses the AT atleast once towards the end just before Port Clinton.

We slacked it from the shelter! :D

You certainly can hike along those dirt Game commission Roads. They run parallel to the trail for quite a ways. However, if you mind nags you to make sure you walk the AT the whole way (Like mine did) you'll stick with the rocks.
BTW I have done the raods along with the AT as a big circuit. The Roads are closed off except for those with a key and permission (Have seen 2 SUVs on them over the years), but are brutally hot and shadeless in the midday July sun.

Sly
10-14-2007, 13:22
You certainly can hike along those dirt Game commission Roads. They run parallel to the trail for quite a ways. However, if your mind nags you, to make sure you walk the AT the whole way (Like mine did) you'll stick with the rocks.

Your mind nags at you for walking old AT? Such a pity. :p

gumball
10-14-2007, 15:15
PA rocks are just a minor nuisance--agreed, more than anything, they will slow you down, which can be irritating if you are trying to escape the billions of mosquitos that live in PA, but can't move any faster b/c you are trying to get over the rocks without twisting your ankles off ;)

No really, not that bad, and yes, you can get thru them in 5 or 6 days. They don't stop at the PA line, but that last section near Wind Gap thru DWG, I believe, is the worst.

I wasn't too fond of the Lehigh Gap, either.

Gum

saimyoji
10-14-2007, 16:25
If you aren't too "puristic" to blue blaze, you can avoid many rocky sections. Most notable in my mind are:

1. Windsor Furnace up to the Pinnacle. A nice walk through the forest up to the spring. You can turn right when you hit the AT and check out the Pinnacle.

2. Just before Lehigh Gap there are two short blue blazed sections. Take the second (North Trail) for the best views of the Lehigh River.

SGT Rock
10-14-2007, 16:38
Mmmmmm Blue Blazes....

shelterbuilder
10-14-2007, 19:33
:banana Don't worry about the Pa. rocks, folks - I PROMISE that BMECC's maintainers will be out in full force, files in hand, sharpening all of those pointy little rocks for y'all.:banana

Blissful
10-14-2007, 19:43
I wasn't too fond of the Lehigh Gap, either.

Gum

There is one rock slab in particular at Lehigh Gap where I froze. I could not figure out how to get up the thing with my backpack on. Paul Bunyan offered to give me a hand up but I was afraid he would get pulled over. After 15 minutes I saw a ridge runner coming fast behind me and decided I'd better get moving. I gave my pack to PB and got up it oaky. The rest of the climb was not bad and thankfully short.

Blissful
10-14-2007, 19:46
:banana Don't worry about the Pa. rocks, folks - I PROMISE that BMECC's maintainers will be out in full force, files in hand, sharpening all of those pointy little rocks for y'all.:banana

Anyone see the part of the AT in NY where they removed practically every rock and made a rock wall out of it and a little rock patio? And any rocks jutting out from the trail, they put white paint over it?

You guys got a lot of work to do then...

:D

1azarus
10-14-2007, 21:11
... i think trail maintainer ralph of RPH shelter fame did that... i think just north of the RPH shelter.

Panzer1
10-14-2007, 21:22
Can anyone tell me how rocky the trail is in PA between Leigh Gap (Palmerton) and Delaware Water Gap. I am planning a hike in this section next weekend (Oct 19,20,21)

Panzer

CrashIntoThings
10-14-2007, 21:24
hey, how'd you guys get a profile picture??

Sly
10-14-2007, 21:31
hey, how'd you guys get a profile picture??

You go to "User CP" (control panel, click edit avatar) on the menu bar (between faq and home) and upload one. You may have to be a donating member to add a custom avatar but they have others I think you can use..

gumball
10-14-2007, 21:38
There is one rock slab in particular at Lehigh Gap where I froze. I could not figure out how to get up the thing with my backpack on. Paul Bunyan offered to give me a hand up but I was afraid he would get pulled over. After 15 minutes I saw a ridge runner coming fast behind me and decided I'd better get moving. I gave my pack to PB and got up it oaky. The rest of the climb was not bad and thankfully short.

I think I know where you mean--etched in my memory, I somehow bumped the back of my pack against a similar area and my cup came off. I quickly turned and looked down to here the tink-tink-tink as it bounced on the rocks on the way down. Then I imagined myself doing the same ;) Thankfully, my husband caught my attention before I did an auto-reach for that stupid cup.

It was the last day I hooked anything to the outside of my pack!

Panzer, it is rocky between Lehigh and Delaware. How much, I guess, is relative...some places worse than others, boulder fields/areas here and there, but its manageable. Don't let it psych you out.

saimyoji
10-14-2007, 21:46
Can anyone tell me how rocky the trail is in PA between Leigh Gap (Palmerton) and Delaware Water Gap. I am planning a hike in this section next weekend (Oct 19,20,21)

Panzer

This is the section I have the most experience with. Lehigh Gap isn't so bad, provided you pay attention, go slow. Its steep in places, but doesn't take long to get up. The rest is just toe-stubbers all the way to Wind Gap. Up out of Wind Gap is Wolf Rocks. I'd be real careful with those at night and in rain/ice, but they aren't anything really difficult. After Kirkridge shelter (Rt 191) its smooth down into Water Gap.

You'll find water at Stempas Spring (about 2mi north of Delp's- dry) and then at Kirkridge Shelter theres the faucet...not sure when that gets turned off, but it might be soon.

You'll have a great time. PM me if you want to know some really cool stealth sites.

LIhikers
10-14-2007, 22:06
I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard that the scouts in PA can earn a special merit badge for rock sharpening;)

rafe
10-14-2007, 22:06
From Kirkridge to DWG it's easy sleazy. Some of the fastest and easiest walking anywhere on the A.T. Nice views of the Delaware as you approach the water gap.

emerald
10-15-2007, 04:47

Surely you jest somewhere between those 2 ridiculous bananas.:rolleyes:

emerald
10-15-2007, 04:55
Can anyone tell me how rocky the trail is in PA between Lehigh Gap (Palmerton) and Delaware Water Gap. I am planning a hike in this section next weekend (Oct 19,20,21)

Panzer

How might rocks affect your planning? Were you planning on staying home if you heard they exhibit certain qualities? If you're asking that question, maybe you should!:rolleyes:

You ought to be more concerned about availability of water and gray squirrel or ruffed grouse hunters. I'd call Kirkridge Retreat and Study Center 610 588-1793 to inquire whether their tap will still be turned on when you arrive or make certain you have reliable current information. If it's not, you need to know where you'll be getting drinking water instead.

The best plan for dealing with rocks is to accept them for what they are and realize the most significant things you can change about them are your mind and where your feet are with respect to them.

rafe
10-15-2007, 07:41
How might rocks affect your planning? Were you planning on staying home if you heard they exhibit certain qualities? If you're asking that question, maybe you should!:rolleyes:

Easy on the OP, there. It's a fair question, I wondered about this myself often as I trudged along. Of course, it wasn't really going to change anything, I just wanted to know...

And you're right; the more pressing and current question -- in PA and elsewhere -- is about water.

sixhusbands
10-15-2007, 08:17
If you are using a good solid boot , the rocks in Pa. or any part of the trail will not be an issue. Most of the people that have troubles with rocks in general are most likely using trail runners or sneakers. Keep your feet happy and you will be able to enjoy the surroundings.

c.coyle
10-15-2007, 09:19

Panzer

The Palmerton moonwalk from Lehigh Gap north to the next road crossing (Smith Gap?) isn't bad at all. The last NOBO section into DWG (Fox Gap?) is pretty much rock free. In between, a little rockier. The moonwalk can be eerily beautiful on a crisp fall day. There's a pretty good diner in Wind Gap, about 1/2 mile from the trail. Also a motel in WG, very close to the AT. Palmerton and Slatington, of course, have all the amenities.

All-in-all, an easy section.

Toolshed
10-15-2007, 09:39
That Moonwalk is one of my favorite parts of the trail - especially early on a winter morning when everything is still and and you feel like you are a million miles from anyone.

Toolshed
10-15-2007, 09:39
Hey Panzer - Was that your group getting into your car last night at the Lehigh Gap Trailhead around 6:15P M?

c.coyle
10-15-2007, 09:47
As far as Pa.'s rocks, I always think of that made-for-TV hockey movie from 10-15 years ago. The coach gathers his team around him after practice and asks "Where's the game?" They all answer "It's in Medicine Hat*, coach!" The coach points to his temple and says "NO, the game's up here."

* Or was it Moosejaw?

Krewzer
10-15-2007, 09:48
It's like going to the doctor for a physical,you know you're getting a blood test and a prostrate check. You dread it for months, but it's over in a day and forgotten in a week.

Oh!!! You're only 33, you don't know about prostrate check yet. Sorry, talk to your Dad.

... They don't stop at the PA line, but that last section near Wind Gap thru DWG, I believe, is the worst.
Gum
I just got back from this section. Broke a promise I'd never hike there again. it was nowhere near as bad as I remember it and the views past DWG and on Kittatiny (sp?) Mtn, NJ are great.

My personal opinion is the rocks showed minimal wear at the end of the 2007 year and it should be an easy task touching up the pointy parts.

Pa and NJ are great....discovered Yueng Lueng at the Port Clinton Hotel and had my first real bagel in NJ.

c.coyle
10-15-2007, 10:30
I think I know where you mean--etched in my memory, I somehow bumped the back of my pack against a similar area and my cup came off. I quickly turned and looked down to here the tink-tink-tink as it bounced on the rocks on the way down. Then I imagined myself doing the same ;) Thankfully, my husband caught my attention before I did an auto-reach for that stupid cup. ...

I think you may mean the spot about 3/4 of the way up where you have to go horizontally about 5' from right to left. It's about 15' - 20' straight down to the rocks if you miss. Last time we were up there, my wife, who is 5'0", was ahead of me. I look up, and she's doing a full split and hanging on for dear life!

I'm scared to death of heights, and have never had the courage to go down LG, only up. From now on, I'm taking the blue blaze Winter Trail to the top.

Never having hiked the AT north of NY, I'm wondering what spots are scarier than Lehigh Gap. I imagine there are at least half a dozen.

saimyoji
10-15-2007, 11:39
If you are using a good solid boot , the rocks in Pa. or any part of the trail will not be an issue. Most of the people that have troubles with rocks in general are most likely using trail runners or sneakers. Keep your feet happy and you will be able to enjoy the surroundings.

Hmmm....I find the exact opposite. I'm more comfortable rock-hopping in my tevas than my boots. And they both fit just fine. ;)

shelterbuilder
10-15-2007, 13:34
...Pa and NJ are great....discovered Yueng Lueng at the Port Clinton Hotel and had my first real bagel in NJ.

I didn't know that Yueng Lueng was working the Port Clinton Hotel!:D That girl sure gets around.

Footslogger
10-15-2007, 13:38
LOL... no they never really do end. I think when most people speak of the PA rocks they mean those pointy, little, buried, rocks that cover the trail and tend to hurt through the bottom of their boots or shoes.

===============================

I agree with that. It's not the presence of rocks - they're everywhere. It's them sharp edged buggers that are kinda close together and are hard to dodge at times. Some folks seem to be able to glide right over them but they really slowed me down and at the soles off a pair of shoes.

'Slogger

hopefulhiker
10-15-2007, 14:43
Those rocks in PA made me imagine what the treadway of Hell must be like. But it was for the most part pretty level...

rafe
10-15-2007, 15:08
Those rocks in PA made me imagine what the treadway of Hell must be like. But it was for the most part pretty level...

I never worried about the path to hell. I assumed I'd be arriving via a basket. :D

CrashIntoThings
10-15-2007, 17:57
Even thinking about this is stimulating. I am glad I discovered this forum.

shelterbuilder
10-15-2007, 20:06
IMHO, Pa. rocks - and your attitude towards them - are just another head-game that the trail plays on you. I grew up hiking these rocks, and even though sometimes I wish they weren't here, nevertheless they ARE here, and we complain about them, but we do what we have to do to get past them.

Around every bend, past each boulder, the trail has something new to show us - just like life.

Alright, I'll get off the soapbox...sorry.

YeOldeBackpacker
10-15-2007, 20:31
We are very proud of our rocks here in PA. you just have to be patient, we know the entire section of the A.T. is not covered yet, but it takes a lot of time to bury all of those rocks just so 1 edge is sticking out for you to step on and it is really hard to set them at all the different angles and depths so they dont give you a level surface to hike on :)

emerald
10-15-2007, 20:57
The question of where Pennsylvania's rocks begin and end comes up regularly. I say they begin or end at Maryland and New Jersey. Since the Pennsylvania A.T. treadway varies continuously and from one place to another, I believe this is the best answer to the perennial question.

Panzer1
10-15-2007, 21:23
Every year the leaves fall on this section of the trail but they never seem to build up enough to cover the rosks. The wind and rain keeps eroding away the soil leaving the rocks behind.
Panzer

Panzer1
10-15-2007, 21:24
Hey Panzer - Was that your group getting into your car last night at the Lehigh Gap Trailhead around 6:15P M?

No it wasn't me. I was at home.

Panzer

saimyoji
10-15-2007, 21:29
Every year the leaves fall on this section of the trail but they never seem to build up enough to cover the rosks. The wind and rain keeps eroding away the soil leaving the rocks behind.
Panzer

Yeah, actually, over the millenia weathering has done a pretty good job getting the trail here into manageable shape. :D

Panzer1
10-15-2007, 21:33

Your right the rocks won't effect my planning. But there's no harm in asking someone who's already been through that section and is willing to share their knowledge. Thats what we do here on this site. We talk about trail conditions.

Panzer

emerald
10-15-2007, 21:53
I wondered about this myself often as I trudged along. Of course, it wasn't really going to change anything, I just wanted to know...

Unfortunately for those who seek an easy answer to this question, it's not possible to obtain one. There are invariably almost as many answers as there are respondents since it's a subjective experience and the memory of individuals who report on it tends to be at least somewhat selective.

Those who desire an answer shall go forth and seek it themselves. Only then will they truly know.

Blissful
10-15-2007, 21:59
The question of where Pennsylvania's rocks begin and end comes up regularly. I say they begin or end at Maryland and New Jersey.

They never end. They just take on different qualities. And quantities. Now and then you get a break from them to recover.

The rocks end when you are safely off Katahdin.

:)

Sly
10-15-2007, 21:59
The wind and rain keeps eroding away the soil leaving the rocks behind.

I don't think it's erosion as much as a natural geological feature. Most of the pointy rocks I'm talking about are on the flats where there is no real erosion. I remember reading about it in WF's book. As far as I can tell, except for in a few places where the trail is prone to run off and there aren't an adequate amount of water bars I think the trail hasn't changed much over the years.

Blissful
10-15-2007, 22:03

The only time I felt like I could have used boots was a section of the Presidentials in NH. Wearing trail runners enabled me actually to scoot around and over the rocks much easier than clunky huge boots. My feet were happy so long as I had good trail runners, good insoles, and good socks. And then gave my feet a rest for a few days, which I did in NY.

rafe
10-15-2007, 22:03
Unfortunately for those who seek an easy answer to this question, it's not possible to obtain one.

Some wag remarked that the reason folks talk so much about rocks in PA is because there's not much else to discuss about the trail in PA. Not that I want to diss your state, but I believe there's some truth to that.

emerald
10-15-2007, 22:15
But there's no harm in asking someone who's already been through that section and is willing to share their knowledge. That's what we do here on this site. We talk about trail conditions.

Panzer

My point is what would or could you do with this knowledge if you could own it? It's not a fact or something that can be readily quantified. It's something altogether different from asking when a post office closes for instance.

This type of question about the treadway is rarely asked about other locations. Am I the only person who finds it odd people ordinarily ask this question only about Pennsylvania as if there aren't rocks elsewhere?

emerald
10-15-2007, 23:26
Some wag remarked that the reason folks talk so much about rocks in PA is because there's not much else to discuss about the trail in PA. Not that I want to diss your state, but I believe there's some truth to that.

There's at least as much to discuss about Pennsylvania as any other state, but I'm not surprised to hear such comments, since they're repeated here over and over and over again by individuals who make little or no effort to learn about the history and culture of the area through which they travel.:D

Krewzer
10-15-2007, 23:31
I didn't know that Yueng Lueng was working the Port Clinton Hotel!:D That girl sure gets around.

LOL...not far from what I thought when I saw the name on the tap.:p

rafe
10-15-2007, 23:46
There's at least as much to discuss about Pennsylvania any other state, but I'm not surprised to hear such comments, since they're repeated here over and over and over again by individuals who make little or no effort to learn about the history and culture of the area through which they travel.:D

Culcha? In PA? I'll take your word for it. :D

Mostly I'm thinking in terms of scenery, verticals, insane climbs, expansive vistas, exotic flora/fauna, soul-wrenching solitude and that sort of thing... PA is kinda low-key.

I did enjoy the walk over the Superfund site, just 'cuz it was so very weird. And I enjoyed the stretch from Scott's Farm to Boiling Springs, again, because it was a nice break from the norm. And that Susquehana looked pretty impressive from a few places.

shelterbuilder
10-16-2007, 06:41

I've heard it said (for many years now) that by the time most of the thru-hikers get to Pa., they're looking for something to complain about, and they just latch onto Pa.'s rocks...and that's okay, since we've got LOTS of them!:D

HIKER7s
10-16-2007, 07:45
This is typical of the PA rocks in the trail. The pointy ones poke you and these buggers snag at you while they laugh.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19270&c=520

Panzer1
10-16-2007, 10:44
I don't think it's erosion as much as a natural geological feature. Most of the pointy rocks I'm talking about are on the flats where there is no real erosion. I remember reading about it in WF's book. As far as I can tell, except for in a few places where the trail is prone to run off and there aren't an adequate amount of water bars I think the trail hasn't changed much over the years.

Still I think that the natural leaf fall and branches that fall out of the trees every year would eventually bury the rocks unless there was erosion going on.
Most of the trail in PA is lined with enough trees to bury the rocks with leaf fall.

Panzer

Blissful
10-16-2007, 12:17
This type of question about the treadway is rarely asked about other locations. Am I the only person who finds it odd people ordinarily ask this question only about Pennsylvania as if there aren't rocks elsewhere?

I know it's kind of a bum rap. Esp when one heads north to NH and Maine and gets more rocks than ever. All I can say is, Pennsylvania got me ready for the big stuff, and for that I offer the state a HUGE thanks.

But to me, PA is about its people. The people really care in that state. So let's talk about the people.

A maintenance guy at the park right on the the state border opened the concession stand so we could buy cold soda and chips on a very hot day.

We were only eight miles into PA when a lady out walking her dog offered us fruit and candy on the trail.

People gave me directions for the trail in Boiling Springs

The medical personnel at Carlisle Medical Center were great. As were the patients I talked to when having my stress test.

Trail Angel Mary and her stash by Duncannon - thanks!

People gave us rides at Port Clinton. (but the gal at the PO was not very nice, I must say)

A former thru hiker had super trail magic at Swatari Gap

Shades of Gray - what can I say? He tracked us down after Swatari Gap and made himself available for updates on water sources, shelters and everything else. Not to mention being an enthusiastic supporter of our hike.

The people in Palmerton were very friendly and helpful. As was the ridge runner at the superfund area (he also loved to talk!)

About the only thing I could have done without is the resident state rattlesnakes....

Marta
10-16-2007, 12:38
A few photos of the rocks:

This first one is actually in New Jersey:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=185165

More of the same in PA:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=192911

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=192915

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=192933

The leaf fall just makes the rocks more treacherous, IMO.

But the PA rocks are like the Roller Coaster--it's hard to figure out how they are supposed to be different from the sections immediately before and after.

Sly
10-16-2007, 12:48

It's not rocks per se, it's the type of rock that's not found on any other section of trail. :rolleyes:

Take a look at Marta's pictures, then show me where you find the same type of rock anywhere else.

Sly
10-16-2007, 12:55
Still I think that the natural leaf fall and branches that fall out of the trees every year would eventually bury the rocks unless there was erosion going on.
Most of the trail in PA is lined with enough trees to bury the rocks with leaf fall.

Think all you want, it has nothing to do with erosion. Sure you may have a time where leaf cover will cover the trail (fall) but, leaf cover and fallen branches aren't going to fill in the voids between the rocks. Not in our lifetime anyway.

neo
10-16-2007, 12:57
hiking in pa is a cake walk i averaged 20 to 25 miles a day every day in pa.:cool: neo

rafe
10-16-2007, 13:12
It's not rocks per se, it's the type of rock that's not found on any other section of trail. :rolleyes:

Take a look at Marta's pictures, then show me where you find the same type of rock anywhere else.

I've seen similar formations in the Kittatinny range in NJ, at least. And I remember some similar rocky stretches in MD (S. of Wolfesville Rd.) and in WV (between Harpers Ferry and Blackburn Center.)

Sly
10-16-2007, 13:20
I've seen similar formations in the Kittatinny range in NJ, at least. And I remember some similar rocky stretches in MD (S. of Wolfesville Rd.) and in WV (between Harpers Ferry and Blackburn Center.)

Yeah, sure there may be isolated sections, but they don't run for miles. :rolleyes:

Cookerhiker
10-16-2007, 13:27

Yeah, sure there may be isolated sections, but they don't run for miles. :rolleyes:

And then there's the 3 mile stretch north from Bailey Gap, VA about 2 days hike north of Pearisburg. As bad as any part of PA.

rafe
10-16-2007, 13:32
hiking in pa is a cake walk i averaged 20 to 25 miles a day every day in pa.:cool: neo

I agree, PA is pretty easy walking, even for an old geezer like me. I was able to do 18 mile days routinely without much effort. For me, that's bookin'.

Well in truth even the ones in PA very rarely run for miles on end. The closest you get is maybe from Kirkridge shelter to Wind Gap or thereabouts (if memory serves...) But I clearly recall the south slope of Humpback Mtn. (in VA, about 10 miles south of Waynesboro) and thinking... jeez, I thought I'd left Pennsylvania weeks ago....

rafe
10-16-2007, 13:50
And then there's the 3 mile stretch north from Bailey Gap, VA about 2 days hike north of Pearisburg. As bad as any part of PA.

Is that section just south of Kelly Knob? If so, it probably had a lot to do with my leaving the trail in 1990. I remember (from just a few weeks ago) a very crunchy 1/2 mile section heading south off the summit of Kelly Knob. Not quite "Pennsylvania grade" but very close...

emerald
10-16-2007, 14:01
It's a good thing God invented multi-quote!

They never end. They just take on different qualities. And quantities. Now and then you get a break from them to recover.

The rocks end when you are safely off Katahdin.

:)

You are very wise!

I agree. I'll post more later. Stay tuned.

LOL...not far from what I thought when I saw the name on the tap.

I think Ling Ling was a female panda at The National Zoo, not a call girl at Port Clinton.:rolleyes:

Culcha? In PA? I'll take your word for it.

Mostly I'm thinking in terms of scenery, verticals, insane climbs, expansive vistas, exotic flora/fauna, soul-wrenching solitude and that sort of thing... PA is kinda low-key.

Verticals? You must be one of those guys who thinks he's going to make it big selling photos for magazine covers!

I've heard it said (for many years now) that by the time most of the thru-hikers get to Pa., they're looking for something to complain about, and they just latch onto Pa.'s rocks...and that's okay, since we've got LOTS of them!

If they are really such bad-asses, why don't they pack them out of PA?

This is typical of the PA rocks in the trail. The pointy ones poke you and these buggers snag at you while they laugh.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19270&c=520

The rocks here take their job seriously -- it's all about preparation, preparing the whiney NOBOs for what comes next.

Panzer

No, sir, that would take bigger trees! The trees in Penn's Woods weren't that big when the colonists arrived!:D

Doesn't count.:p

But the PA rocks are like the Roller Coaster--it's hard to figure out how they are supposed to be different from the sections immediately before and after.

Good point.:clap

hiking in pa is a cake walk i averaged 20 to 25 miles a day every day in pa.

I agree. You are a hiker, not a whiner!:cool:

Sometime ask me about the Pleistocene and glaciers, okay?

I'm reminded of someone else as I post this reply. If only he could learn to multi-quote, he'd be deadly!

Marta
10-16-2007, 14:13
And this is what happens if you don't pay attention when you're walking on the rocks--you fall down, go boom:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=192893

Marta
10-16-2007, 14:15
And my solution for protecting my feet in the rockiest sections:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=192914

Now it's definitely time to get back to work. It's slow in the office this time of year, but...

emerald
10-16-2007, 14:40
And this is what happens if you don't pay attention when you're walking on the rocks--you fall down, go boom:

Marta, it looks to me like your linked photo may have been taken just after you got the point of the PA rocks.;)

For those who have not yet gotten the point, go here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=381974&postcount=28) and spare yourself the indignity.:D

I've noticed you are now a 2000 miler. Congratulations.:)

Marta
10-16-2007, 14:43
Marta, it looks to me like your linked photo may have been taken just after you got the point of the PA rocks.;)

I've noticed you are now a 2000 miler. Congratulations.:)

Too true. I became much, much more careful, and did not have another fall for many weeks.

Thanks!

mudhead
10-16-2007, 14:48

More of the same in PA:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=192911

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=192915

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=192933

Have not been here. Looks like a pretty area to me. Do the rocks move around alot?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=8621&c=563

These are a pain to walk on. They move. Are the rocks in these photos similar?

rafe
10-16-2007, 14:50
Do the rocks move around alot?

Good question. I thought for sure they were following me south this summer.

mudhead
10-16-2007, 14:54
Ask a serious question.

I walk on crap that does not move alot.

Cookerhiker
10-16-2007, 14:55
Is that section just south of Kelly Knob? If so, it probably had a lot to do with my leaving the trail in 1990. I remember (from just a few weeks ago) a very crunchy 1/2 mile section heading south off the summit of Kelly Knob. Not quite "Pennsylvania grade" but very close...

Not exactly - I was referring to a stretch a day's hike south of Kelly Knob which I remembered better because it was long (over 3 miles) and very Pennsylvania-like.

But Kelly Knob had its rockiness too. In fact, my journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=92491) even used the term "Pennsylvania" to describe those rocks. If you read it, you'll note that I also waxed poetic on the subject of rocks - PA and otherwise - in the next day's journal when I encountered the Bailey Gap stretch. The gist of it was sure, PA has its rocks but so do a lot of other places.

But at least I had perfect weather and I saw the Keffer Oak.

emerald
10-16-2007, 14:57
And my solution for protecting my feet in the rockiest sections:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=192914

I still like the idea of boots with stiff midsoles and I'm partial to Limmers. Regardless, when hiking in Pennsylvania, please keep your eyes on the treadway. The rattlesnakes thank you.;)

Now it's definitely time to get back to work. It's slow in the office this time of year, but...

I agree. I enjoyed heckling you today. Let's see if we can pay some bills now.:o

emerald
10-16-2007, 15:05
mudhead, you should visit and see for yourself. You'll like our black gums and chestnut oaks, two trees you won't see on the Maine A.T.

Pootz
10-16-2007, 16:03
Do not worry about trail conditions. You are going to hike every mile reguardless. By the time you get to the rocks of Pa they will not even slow you down. And compaired to the trail up north you will not even remember them. I recomend putting super feet in your shoes for the entire trail. They are comfortable and will help with rock and roots.

walkin' wally
10-16-2007, 16:13

Marta all I can say is... ouch!! This must be part of the school of hard knocks.
Good luck next time.

mudhead
10-16-2007, 17:10
mudhead, come on down, you are the next contestant! We saw in your application you are an expert at the Abol Slide.:D

Thou shalt return to productive behavior immediately! Okay.:o

Bad, naughty SoG. It is not nice to edit other people's posts...

I have slithered up Abol, but never claim to be an expert at anything other than scratching.

I still would like to know if these rocks, in Marta's fine pictures, set amongst pine and maple trees are solid.

I find solid rock far nicer than mud...

shelterbuilder
10-16-2007, 18:46

I have slithered up Abol, but never claim to be an expert at anything other than scratching.

I still would like to know if these rocks, in Marta's fine pictures, set amongst pine and maple trees are solid.

I find solid rock far nicer than mud...

I can answer that one, mudhead. Many of the rocks are loose, but sometimes you can't tell until after you plant your foot!:eek: You almost have to commit to the step, but be ready to do a quick hop-step to the next rock to keep your balance. A sturdy staff with a rubber tip (not one of those puny little hiking poles) comes in handy for keeping your balance. I've grown up with this kind of walking, but it can be disconcerting to folks who aren't used to it.

And yes, SOG is very naughty - but he doesn't care.:D

mudhead
10-16-2007, 18:55
Thank you.

So I guess one can read them, until they move.

Those rocks in that picture of the summit of Whitecap all slither. Like a beach.

The trail portion is solid. Thanks to MATC.

rafe
10-16-2007, 22:51
But Kelly Knob had its rockiness too. In fact, my journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=92491) even used the term "Pennsylvania" to describe those rocks. If you read it, you'll note that I also waxed poetic on the subject of rocks - PA and otherwise - in the next day's journal when I encountered the Bailey Gap stretch. The gist of it was sure, PA has its rocks but so do a lot of other places.

That's been my point all along. My '90 (and '07) hikes both ended at a place called "Rocky Gap" just below the summit of Kelly Knob. My diary for '90 mentions a rocky stretch heading north from Bailey's, on the last day.

But at least I had perfect weather and I saw the Keffer Oak.Same here, this year. The last day idyllic.

emerald
10-17-2007, 18:45

I've removed what I believe you found objectionable and substituted text which I hope you will find more appropriate if not informative.

HIKER7s
10-18-2007, 06:01
I move pretty good through all of PA. Since I am from this state, and did plenty o hiking here before I did the 1st thru, I was used to the rocks. They are trecherous but I think the horror stories about them come from recreational hikers and non-confident hikers who have just the preception that they are going to be really tough.

geez, what will they think about the rocks when they get into New England and Maine! The PA ROCKS do really shadow over (by fame) the real ones further north.

Pa as well as the entire trail, you just have to watch and be able to switch gears quickly (rocky, slippy, smooth, hopping, crawling,etc.)

Panzer1
10-20-2007, 01:02
APPALACHIAN TRAIL GUIDE
PENNSYLVANIA
TENTH EDITION
page 101

The trail begins with a steep climb out of Port Clinton, gaining 1,000 feet in two miles. The footway is quite rocky for the first 6 miles. Beyond, the trail passes through a maturing forest that is surprisingly rock free, and altogether pleasant hiking. That's the place I'm heading to Saturday morning. the "altogether pleasant hiking" place. That's what I want "altogether pleasant hiking".

Panzer "screw the rocks"

shelterbuilder
10-20-2007, 06:34
That's the place I'm heading to Saturday morning. the "altogether pleasant hiking" place. That's what I want "altogether pleasant hiking".

Panzer "screw the rocks"

Well, then, we'll call you "Panzer, the road warrior". That "altogether pleasant hiking section" is mostly old woods roads. In September, the MATC (mid-Atlantic Trail Crew) came in on the section just before Eckville and did some rock turnpiking just after you leave the woods road heading for Eckville.

Nice section - good views off the Pinnacle and Pulpit Rocks. Have fun.

Cookerhiker
10-20-2007, 21:33
I just returned from a PATC work trip on the Tuscarora Trail which parallels the AT in the southern half of the state along a ridge to the west. The rocks in the 2 1/2 miles we cleared were just as taxing as those on the AT further north.

At least the weather was perfect. At our highest point today, I could see the AT ridgeline about 25 miles looking east.

shelterbuilder
10-21-2007, 10:13
I just returned from a PATC work trip on the Tuscarora Trail which parallels the AT in the southern half of the state along a ridge to the west. The rocks in the 2 1/2 miles we cleared were just as taxing as those on the AT further north.

At least the weather was perfect. At our highest point today, I could see the AT ridgeline about 25 miles looking east.

I think that may have somehing to do with the action of the glaciers, but I'm not sure.

The Tuscarora Trail is one that's close to me, and I've always wanted to get over there, but just haven't found the time yet. Usually I'm out by myself, so transportation is always a problem - I wind up walking the same real estate twice, and it takes twice as long to do a trail.

woodsy
10-21-2007, 10:23
Usually I'm out by myself, so transportation is always a problem - I wind up walking the same real estate twice, and it takes twice as long to do a trail.
This sounds all too familiar. But, don't you find the trail looks different when backtracking? And you get to say"I've seen that section of trail going in both directions". Alot of thru hikers never get to boast about that!:)

Cookerhiker
10-21-2007, 11:44
I think that may have somehing to do with the action of the glaciers, but I'm not sure.

The Tuscarora Trail is one that's close to me, and I've always wanted to get over there, but just haven't found the time yet. Usually I'm out by myself, so transportation is always a problem - I wind up walking the same real estate twice, and it takes twice as long to do a trail.

While the PATC's maintenance of the AT ends at Pine Grove Furnace, we have the Tuscarora trail all the way to its terminus just short of Duncannon. Links for you: PATC North Chapter (http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=63&Itemid=74) (members in PA and Northern MD), Yankee Clippers (http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=86&Itemid=89) is the PATC trail crew that I joined yesterday. They cover all of PATC's PA trails. If you're seeking a hiking partner or want to help out, check their webistes. All are welcome including newcomers (like me).

emerald
10-21-2007, 14:06
"altogether pleasant hiking section"

Hey, sb, in the movie Little Big Man, the elderly Native American pointed out to his grandson that only the rocks last forever. Do you think his comment was inspired by Pennsylvania's rocks?

Woodsy, I don't know that I've experienced much altogether unpleasant hiking, how 'bout you?

woodsy
10-21-2007, 17:31
Woodsy, I don't know that I've experienced much altogether unpleasant hiking, how 'bout you?
None lately, blue skies,winding trails,panorama as far as the eye can see and chirping birds.....can't complain. But, I haven't attempted those notorious PA rocks either. Are they much different than NH/ME rocks, are they as hard as ours?:D

shelterbuilder
10-21-2007, 18:05
While the PATC's maintenance of the AT ends at Pine Grove Furnace, we have the Tuscarora trail all the way to its terminus just short of Duncannon. Links for you: PATC North Chapter (http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=63&Itemid=74) (members in PA and Northern MD), Yankee Clippers (http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=86&Itemid=89) is the PATC trail crew that I joined yesterday. They cover all of PATC's PA trails. If you're seeking a hiking partner or want to help out, check their webistes. All are welcome including newcomers (like me).

Sounds like a fun bunch of folks - unfortunately, I've got my own responsibilites up here with BMECC that need to take precedence (most notably the composting toilets at Wm Penn and Eagle's Nest shelters).

I need to retire - then I'd have the time to do all of these fun things with other groups.:D

emerald
10-21-2007, 18:30
None lately, blue skies,winding trails,panorama as far as the eye can see and chirping birds.....can't complain. But, I haven't attempted those notorious PA rocks either. Are they much different than NH/ME rocks, are they as hard as ours?:D

Went out for a bit to see if I could find anything about which I could complain today. Couldn't find anything and I believe I looked as far as I could see.:sun

The rocks here are only hard when you fall on them.:rolleyes: I don't fall on them and I've never sprained an ankle, so they don't bother me any.:D

shelterbuilder
10-21-2007, 19:03
Went out for a bit to see if I could find anything about which I could complain today. Couldn't find anything and I believe I looked as far as I could see.:sun

Then, obviously, you were nowhere near the privy at your favorite shelter.:D

emerald
10-21-2007, 20:21
I wasn't aware I have a favorite shelter, but, if you desire assistance, you have my email address.

shelterbuilder
10-21-2007, 20:49
I wasn't aware I have a favorite shelter, but, if you desire assistance, you have my email address.

No, but thanks anyway. I'm going out tomorrow before the sun comes up and walk up from Shartlesville to do one more run. I'll be back on Tuesday with Ranger Ron to look over the area for possible DCNR assistance, but by then the rains will have arrived, and I'd rather NOT get into THAT kind of situation.

Panzer1
10-21-2007, 23:21
Well, then, we'll call you "Panzer, the road warrior". That "altogether pleasant hiking section" is mostly old woods roads. In September, the MATC (mid-Atlantic Trail Crew) came in on the section just before Eckville and did some rock turnpiking just after you leave the woods road heading for Eckville.

Nice section - good views off the Pinnacle and Pulpit Rocks. Have fun.

No, you must be thinking of another section of trail. this section is only on a road for the first .4 after leaving the parking lot. The rest is all trail. There is a service road to the west of the trail though. Maybe that's what you were thinking of. The book does talk about some "obscure game lands road" at mile 3.8 but it was so obscure that I didn't notice it when I went across it.

APPALACHIAN TRAIL GUIDE
PENNSYLVANIA
TENTH EDITION
page 107

"0.4 Leave woods road, turning right onto trail."

Panzer1
10-21-2007, 23:33
Boy Scouts Celebrated as Heroes
An Action News Exclusive
WPVI By Denise James

October 21, 2007 - Some hero Boy Scouts received a big welcome home today.
Also on 6abc:
Report a Typo | Discuss This Story | More Local News | Check Traffic
Get Action E-News| Newslinks and Recalls | See News?| RSS Feeds

A band, including bagpipes, greeted Troop 226 as they arrived back in Rockledge, Montgomery County, one day after coming to the rescue of a hiker who had fallen and hit her head along the Appalachian Trail in Berks County.

Several scouts spotted 41-year-old Jane Scholl just after she had tumbled five feet from a cliff.

"I landed face first in the rock and got a gash from there to there," she said.

She was bleeding and disoriented.

Two troop leaders, a Cheltenham police officer and paramedic, determined she was in no shape to hike six miles back to her fiance's car. So the scouts sprung into action, fashioning a makeshift stretcher using tree branches and their clothes.

"We took sticks, shoved them into each sleeve and made it long enough for her body to fit on. We carried her three miles," said Eagle Scout Andrew Swartz Jr.

They carried her to medics who began treatment, and then to a chopper waiting to fly her to a trauma center.

"I feel really good. It's nice to know I helped someone out in their time of need," said Boy Scout Bill Bowman.

14-year-old Megan Gallagher is a member of the co-ed Venturer Scouts.

"It actually makes me feel really good. Like I have been training for the past seven years, if I came across this kind of situation, how to handle it," said Gallagher.

"We knew how to make a stretcher. We knew what to do. We knew where to go on the trail to get her to safety. It was really cool watching her get medivaced too," Bowman said.

An entire community that thought what the scouts did was cool showered them with praise today.

"They spent a lot of time working on merit badges and learning all these skills. For them to be out having fun on a trip and to be able to put them to use and implement them is fabulous. I am very proud of all of them," said Kay Gallagher.

(Copyright 2007 by Action News and 6abc. All Rights Reserved.)
I think that this was somewhere near were I was hiking. I did see 2 helicopters through the trees but I thought that they were military.
Panzer

HIKER7s
10-22-2007, 07:55
Its great to see scouts get the good press. Need all they can get. Still such a wonderful asset to have out and about.

shelterbuilder
10-22-2007, 18:28
No, you must be thinking of another section of trail. this section is only on a road for the first .4 after leaving the parking lot. The rest is all trail. There is a service road to the west of the trail though. Maybe that's what you were thinking of. The book does talk about some "obscure game lands road" at mile 3.8 but it was so obscure that I didn't notice it when I went across it.

I probably was thinking of another section - you know, after age 50, it's a short slide down that mental slope.:D (Well, I know, anyway....)

saimyoji
10-22-2007, 19:13
Panzer: How was the hike? The weather was beautiful, must have had some gread views. My info come in handy at all?

HIKER7s
10-23-2007, 06:23
I probably was thinking of another section - you know, after age 50, it's a short slide down that mental slope.:D (Well, I know, anyway....)

...and the first indication of that is stating what you just did. :sun

shelterbuilder
10-23-2007, 07:08
...and the first indication of that is stating what you just did. :sun

They say that there are 2 good indicators of old age creeping up on you - the first one is memory trouble, and the second one is...ah...I forget.:D

Panzer1
10-23-2007, 14:26
Panzer: How was the hike? The weather was beautiful, must have had some gread views. My info come in handy at all?

After realizing that a shuttle ride from Wind Gap to Palmerton would cost about $65 plus tip, I decided to do a shorter hike that did not involve a shuttle. I did a 6 mile hike from PA183 to the Eagles Nest shelter (8 miles south of Port Clinton) which did not involve needing a shuttle. I just walked out 6 miles to the shelter and back to my truck parked on route 183. I drove up Saturday and went home on Sunday. All in all I think it was one of my better weekend trip. The weather was perfect. The shelter was fine. I had vacume packed ham steak for dinner with instant potatoes. It couldn't have been better.

The hike was trhough a wooded area, across level terrain and a lot fewer rocks than normal for PA. It was a real easy hike which was just what I was looking for. Saturday the deer hunters were out with bows and mussel loaders. Sunday there was no hunting in PA. Sunday, I met 3 south bounders who stayed in Port Clinton on Saturday night. They said they were having a hard time finding water in the last few weeks. They were also wearing orange pack covers because of the hunting. One even had a orange hat. They ware walking right into deer season which starts in earnist in December. They will be in Virginia by then.

I've come to the conclusion that the shuttles are just to expensive for a weekend hike. They're looking for $1.75 a mile and that can add up. Plus if they are late or don't show it could screw up your plans.

Panzer

emerald
10-23-2007, 16:35
Panzer, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. I hope you had on some blaze orange.

You know, it's not so much the archery hunters that concern me, it's those hunters with mussel-loaders.;)

emerald
10-23-2007, 16:47
Around here, if ya ain't Dutch, ya ain't much. Ya might even be English!:rolleyes:

Panzer1
10-23-2007, 17:21
Panzer, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. I hope you had on some blaze orange.

You know, it's not so much the archery hunters that concern me, it's those hunters with mussel-loaders.;)

No, I didn't have any orange. I knew it was archery season but didn't know it was mussel loader season until I got there. I have an orange hat and vest at home but didn't bring it. Luckly there wern't any gun shots in my area. I'll have to remember that for the next time. I thought mussell loader season used to be later in the year.

And I did have 5 deer run right past me on my way out. I think they survived the day.

I don't hike at all during regular rifle season.

Panzer

ki0eh
10-24-2007, 07:39
I thought mussell loader season used to be later in the year.

There still is a late muzzleloader season.

It pays to check the hunting seasons link from time to time: http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=460&q=161003

One of this year's coming gotchas is the following, from that link: "SPRING GOBBLER (Bearded bird only): April 26-May 26, 2008."

In other words, turkey hunting on Memorial Day Monday 2008 in PA.

Marta
10-24-2007, 07:54
Or just assume that when the leaves are falling from, or are off of, the trees, it's the season for hunting something or other, and wear an orange hat.

emerald
10-24-2007, 20:24
Or just assume that when the leaves are falling from, or are off of, the trees, it's the season for hunting something or other, and wear an orange hat.

Not at all a bad general rule for long-distance SOBOs passing through Pennsylvania. NOBOs attempting Springer to Katahdin hikes except early starters are unlikely to encounter hunters here, the exception being spring gobbler hunters as pointed out above.

Someone who's hiking a long distance through several states would devote a good bit of time to tracking down all the information pertaining to hunting and keeping it straight. To keep on top of this information along with everything else would likely detract from one's experience.

What I've been posting to Hunting and the A.T. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=417495&postcount=1) is primarily useful for day- and weekend-hikers. Long distance hikers might do well to remember what's below and inquire with locals, particularly hunters they meet.

The most important things to remember about PA hunting are it's best not to hike during the high-powered rifle deer season, wear at least a blaze orange hat during fall to comply with PGC regs and more importantly for your own safety, and no hunting on Sundays.

Panzer1
10-24-2007, 23:23
Wow, that says that there is hunting on 1,250 miles of the AT. I didn't realize that more than half of the trail is open to hunting.

Panzer

shelterbuilder
10-25-2007, 07:23
Wow, that says that there is hunting on 1,250 miles of the AT. I didn't realize that more than half of the trail is open to hunting.

Panzer

Generally speaking, if the land is owned outright by NPS, then there's no hunting permitted. But if the land is owned by someone else (for instance, in Pa., the Game Commission owns a large percentage of the land over which the AT passes), then it may be open to hunting. NPS is a relative newcomer to the AT - they only stepped in when private landowners began closing their land to hikers (because of littering, land abuse, and liability concerns), and the AT was being relocated onto highways. Much of the original footpath followed existing trails and logging/woods roads that were pieced together across public (state-owned) lands, where hunting was allowed.

garyhebert
11-13-2007, 19:18
ah....memories......more like FLASHBACKS of those $#* ROCKS!!! all thru Pennsylvania!! The pointy little buggers. We didn't slow our pace or miles. And it killed us psychologically. Brutually punishing our feet. Destroyed brand new trailrunners we bought in Harpors Ferry. For some perspective two of us had a couple hundred miles on new trailrunners before starting the AT and they lasted til Harpors (Maybe 1100-1200 miles or so). New ones had heavy damage right after Pennsylvania and we suffered thru 500 or so miles til we replaced them, the third pair easily finished thru Maine and I'm still hiking in them. But have fun. Read the journals...."Rock Rock til ya drop." "Love them Rocks." "More ROCKS!" "I LOVE Rocks!"...but its part of bonding among AT hikers! Enjoy The Doyle! Once outta PA, the rocks are bigger and less pointy and not a problemo!

clured
11-14-2007, 11:21
Wow, I never understood the whole PA rocks thing. PA is without a doubt the easiest and most enjoyable state on the trail--super flat and fast. When I first came through Harper's, everyone was like: "Just wait until Duncannon, it's gonna get bad there." And once I was there, everyone was like, "Just wait until Port Clinton, it's horrible after that." And then it was, "Just wait until the piece out of Lehigh Gap."

There are little mile-long stretches that are rocky, but for every rocky mile in PA you get ten really flat, really fast, really pretty miles that are a joy to walk. I'm convinced that the state gets its bad reputation because of that one hairy climb out of Lehigh.

DQ

rafe
11-14-2007, 11:35
I'm convinced that the state gets its bad reputation because of that one hairy climb out of Lehigh.

I agree with someone else who said that the rocks in PA are talked up 'cuz there's not much else to discuss about the trail in PA. I also agree that overall it's pretty easy hiking -- rocks notwithstanding.

YeOldeBackpacker
11-14-2007, 14:17
Have not been here. Looks like a pretty area to me. Do the rocks move around alot?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=8621&c=563

These are a pain to walk on. They move. Are the rocks in these photos similar?
Only at night when no one is looking!!:rolleyes: