PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Tech Jacket

JHambone44
10-14-2007, 11:14
I'm definitely interested in this jacket, but I'm not sure how small it packs down. The fleece I have now takes up way too much room in my pack. I was wondering if someone who has this jacket could give me a general idea of the dimensions when it is packed. Thanks in advance.

Phreak
10-14-2007, 11:40
It doesn't compress down well - roughly 10" x 6". I always strapped mine to the outside of my pack, to save space and for easy access to it.

It is a very nice jacket and one I'd recommend.

bigcranky
10-14-2007, 17:18
Windproof fleece is even less compressible than standard fleece. The big advantage is the wind resistance, which makes this kind of jacket far warmer but also less breathable. Pit zips are good (I think the Mtn Hardwear jacket has them.) I find I use my windstopper jacket in dayhikes and around town, but not on backpacking trips. It's just too bulky and heavy for the warmth. But that's just me -- Dragonfly (my wife) lives in her Marmot softshell on cool-weather hikes. She wouldn't leave the trailhead without it.

Appalachian Tater
10-14-2007, 17:22
You may be happier with a shell that is wind- and rainproof plus a separate insulating midlayer of fleece, down, wool, or synthetic down.

Fahrenheit
10-14-2007, 19:15
I have this jacket and I only take it on short weekend trips when I have a lot of extra room in my pack. That said it is the best fleece I have ever owned. It truly blocks out the wind and is really warm. I was wearing it before an adventure race once and I was cool but everyone around me was freezing. I couldn't figure out why as I'm usually the coldest. Well then I took my jacket off and felt the wind for the first time. Great piece of gear.

JHambone44
10-14-2007, 20:54
Thanks for the info everyone!

EWS
10-15-2007, 00:27
I had one for about five years and then lost it. I was a nice warm jacket, though it didn't really compress and it didn't breathe worth anything either.