PDA

View Full Version : Warmest winter camp pants?

genetic claybuilding
10-14-2007, 14:15
I'm looking for your vote for the best winter camp trousers. I currently have a pair of Polartec 200 fleece pants (or 300 weight, not sure which). They're nice and warm, but don't compress and take up as much space as a basketball in my pack.

So, I'm looking for something more compressible, that is just as warm and has a tough shell to boot.

Ramble~On
10-14-2007, 14:26
I picked up a pair of Montbell (I'm pretty sure they're Montbell) winter pants at a bargain bin in Dick's Sporting Goods store. I think I paid $9.00 for them and am pretty happy with the deal. They're nylon on the outside and fleece on the inside..they weigh very little and pack down to half the size of a Nalgene.

SGT Rock
10-14-2007, 14:37
Go to an Army Surpus store and ask them for some field pants liners. They should cost between $5 to $10 and compress down to nothing. They also weigh about 10 ounces or less.

gumball
10-14-2007, 15:09
I have a lightweight fleece. I put them at the very bottom of my pack, under my sleeping bag. They compress pretty well when everything is on top of them, and I don't ever wear them until bed time anyway--so I don't dig around for them, just get them out when its time to sleep.

FanaticFringer
10-14-2007, 15:22
Use a pair of poly bottoms, middleweight or heavyweight, and buy some cheap nylon pants. I use the Athletic Works brand nylon pants from wal-mart.

Cosmic Crusader
10-14-2007, 20:55
http://www.patagonia.com/usa/search/esearch.jsp?OPTION=ESEARCH&N=0&Ntt=wool+pants

these are great for that warm feeling down low, and wool is far better smelling than man made items generally.

Tipi Walter
10-14-2007, 22:41
I would look for something in goose down if you want the warmest. Probably too hot to actually hike in. Absolute Zero parka and pants, etc. Mountaineers use them for high ascents. With some research you might find them with a microfiber or cordura shell. It'd be like a down jacket for your legs.

Cosmic Crusader
10-14-2007, 23:39
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel_services/trvl_gear/item/patagonia_mens_micro_puff_pants.htm

Lightweight windproof outerwear insulation for your legs that weighs less than a pound.

I have talked to some high climbers who swear by these ...

take-a-knee
10-14-2007, 23:50
Those field pant liners that Rock suggested will work as well as anything else. They got me through two winters in the infantry in Alaska, I think minus 54 is pretty cold. The nylon they are made from is super light.

Jim Adams
10-14-2007, 23:56
Not sure of the price this year but CABELA'S had down pants (just like a down jacket) 2 years ago for $49.95. Only color available was a greenish/gold color. I do remember that they were "puffy" and the weight was light. I think 550 or 600 fill.

geek

dbs
10-15-2007, 16:38
I've been using a pair of Integral Design Denali pants for about 2 years now and can't imagine using anything else. I've slept in these and a Mont Bell parka down to 40 degrees and find them very warm and comfortable. The light weight fabric wont take much travel through the brush though. Dave

Mocs123
10-15-2007, 16:50
for a replacement for 200 weight fleece I would look at the

Mont Bell Thermawrap pants
Mont Bell UL down pants
BMW Cocoon pants
Patagonia Micro Puff pants
ID PLQ pants

EWS
10-16-2007, 00:04
Feathered Friends (http://www.featheredfriends.com/AllGarments.aspx?SubCatId=0&CatId=2) is top of the line. Western Mountaineering is the only other company that is comparable, but they don't have the down clothing line. Anyways FF has "stock" items, and they will customize items if you have special requirements or don't fit standard sizes very well.