PDA

View Full Version : NY Water, 17A North about 50 miles

gumball
10-14-2007, 15:19
Next Saturday, we will be heading north from 17A in NY about 50 miles for a short section. I was hoping someone may have come thru there in the last week or so and could advise on water availability at shelters and in-between shelters.

Looks like we will hit Fingerboard Shelter, William Brien Memorial Shelter, W. Mt. Shelter, ... and probably come out around NY 301.

Any information would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks, Gum

gsingjane
10-14-2007, 15:41
Hi, we were out last weekend for 3 days and it is very dry (or at least it was until there was a little rain most recently). Fingerboard was dry, William Brien was dry, we didn't check out W. Mtn. but I bet it was the same, they said there was water at Hemlock Springs but we didn't find it. You can fill water bottles in the bathroom at the foot of Bear Mtn. (where the ice cream machine is)... we also filtered out of Beechy Botton but it was pretty rank. There was one water cache left by trail angels. We didn't go past the monastery so I don't know after that.

Good luck!

Jane in CT

Cookerhiker
10-14-2007, 16:16
Next Saturday, we will be heading north from 17A in NY about 50 miles for a short section. I was hoping someone may have come thru there in the last week or so and could advise on water availability at shelters and in-between shelters.

Looks like we will hit Fingerboard Shelter, William Brien Memorial Shelter, W. Mt. Shelter, ... and probably come out around NY 301.

Any information would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks, Gum

There's a spigot at Dennytown Rd. which I'd think would still yield water.