PDA

View Full Version : Shelter renovations in GSMNP

chris
11-17-2003, 14:17
I recently received an email from Philip Royer, the person who is in charge of the shelter renovations in the park. I wanted to know where the funds came from and who provided the labor for the Mollies Ridge shelter. Also, how the materials were transported. I'm going to summarize the response, but can post the original (after getting permission) if people so desire it. Philip Royer is the head of an architechual firm in Knoxville, I believe.

1. All basic labor comes from volunteers who pay $10 a day to work on the project. Most of these volunteers come from the local hiking club, although others participate. A crew chief is hired for a salary of $500 for the project. Each renovation generally takes 1 week to complete.

2. Most of the funds come from the Haman foundation, which appears to be a not-for-profit entity which aids projects in all the national parks, but focuses on GSMNP. Some funds come from donations to the Smoky Mountains Hiking Club. The government and park administration provide no funds and appear to do nothing other than grant approval for the project. Approximately $700 goes for food to feed the volunteers and there are approximately $3000 for materials.

3. The transport is usually by helicopter, which costs $8500 for the delivery of materials. Horses and ATVs are rarely, though occasionally, used. When horse transport is used, the horses and their drivers are donated from local riding clubs.

So, it appears that the renovations rely exclusively on volunteer, private effort and receive no support from the park itself. Silers Bald, Mollies Ridge, Pecks Corner, Icewater, and Davenport Gap were all remodeled by the same people, as was Sassafras Gap shelter in the Natahala. Tricorner is the next GSMNP shelter to get the treatment, and that should occur in 2004.

smokymtnsteve
11-17-2003, 16:30
2. Most of the funds come from the Haman foundation, which appears to be a not-for-profit entity which aids projects in all the national parks, but focuses on GSMNP. Some funds come from donations to the Smoky Mountains Hiking Club. The government and park administration provide no funds and appear to do nothing other than grant approval for the project. Approximately $700 goes for food to feed the volunteers and there are approximately $3000 for materials.

not only does the NPS grant approval...they also provide at lot of hassle...

Hikerhead
11-17-2003, 18:59
[QUOTE=chris]

"1. All basic labor comes from volunteers who pay $10 a day to work on the project."

I wish about 10 of them would show up to paint my house. :welcome :banana :clap Heck, they wouldn't even have to paint as long as they paid me.

Just joking Chris, I know what you meant.

Saluki Dave
11-17-2003, 23:32
The renovations look to cost about $12,200. 1,652 Whiteblaze members at $10 a head = $16,520. Hmmmm......

Uncle Wayne
11-18-2003, 05:28
Thanks for the info Chris. Appreciate you digging that up.

Pay to do volunteer work? You gotta love that, in fact that sounds very similar to being a Scoutmaster.:D