PDA

View Full Version : MSR Pocket Rocket

Waterbuffalo
10-14-2007, 18:41
Does anyone use a wind screen with it?

rafe
10-14-2007, 18:48
Does anyone use a wind screen with it?

Yes. When there's a decent wind blowing, you need a screen. Someone at WB has posted pix of how it's done. It involves three short pieces of wire (eg from an old wire coat hanger) and a few holes punched in a regular aluminum windscreen. It's a bit of a trick; you need to not block off access to the gas valve or to the pot handle.

whitefoot_hp
10-14-2007, 20:00
if you are familiar with the aluminum flashing windscreens used with many alcohol stoves, one of those can easily and safely be used as a windscreen for the pocket rocket. you can even use a tent stake rather than the wire mentioned. i think you need two stakes though. i will post a pic when i get a chance.

Waterbuffalo
10-14-2007, 20:35
Thanks I Just got a Pocket rocket and I have used a wisperlite for years I was wondering if there was a trick to it.

Panzer1
10-14-2007, 21:28
I hope everyone already knows that you must use the wind screen in a way that does not allow heat to build up around the fuel tank as that could at least in theory lead to an explosion.

Panzer

buckowens
10-14-2007, 21:29
I don't use a screen, but have seen the need for one. The boil times and fuel usage go up in a strong breeze. I am going to pack on for this summers trip.

Panzer1
10-14-2007, 21:41
For whatever its worth the pocket rocket has a small built in windscreen right on the burner.

Panzer

ChinMusic
10-14-2007, 21:47
I've have a Pocket Rocket for like 5 years and have never found a need for a wind screen. It is pretty forgiving. You will burn a bit more fuel in some wind, and I can see a benefit for a screen under extreme conditions. I just have not found myself in those conditions at a campsite. I think I would create a "wind screen" with rocks should I found myself in those conditions.

rafe
10-14-2007, 22:01
Here's a pocket-rocket windscreen in action. In its previous life it had been a Whisperlite windscreen.

SweetAss03
10-15-2007, 00:35
I'm with ChinMusic and Buckowens on this one, I've had my Pocketrocket from my 2003 thru-hike and have used it everywhere I've hiked since. I've never used a windscreen with it. I guess I could say I've been places that I would have been nice to have one but made do with something else.

I'm not an ultra light packer but I tend to walk on the "less is More" side. There is many times when I think "boy some camp shoes would be nice." Then I hike for ....... miles and think "man I'm glad I'm carrying extra stuff.

To each his own.

SweetAss

rafe
10-15-2007, 07:54
I'm with ChinMusic and Buckowens on this one, I've had my Pocketrocket from my 2003 thru-hike and have used it everywhere I've hiked since. I've never used a windscreen with it. I guess I could say I've been places that I would have been nice to have one but made do with something else.

I used the windscreen about half the time. On calm nights or in a shelter, probably not.

There was no easy canister resupply for the first half of my hike this summer, and I wasn't really sure how long the canisters would last. As it turned out, the canisters lasted nearly 3 weeks, and I never actually emptied one.

chicote
10-17-2007, 14:25
I don't use a wind screen with mine either. If you really want to get picky with fuel milage the windscreen would probably help some.

Waterbuffalo
10-17-2007, 16:44
From what it sounds I'm going to do with out. I'm no back country chef so it's really just something to boil water for me.