PDA

View Full Version : Bears in Yellowstone

Skidsteer
10-14-2007, 20:17
There's a program on GA public television right now about Grizzlies in Yellowstone.

Pretty interesting so far!

jrwiesz
10-15-2007, 01:14
There's a program on GA public television right now about Grizzlies in Yellowstone.

Pretty interesting so far!

I think it may have been broadcast across most of the country today. I caught the ending tonight. Yes, it was interesting.:sun

Sly
10-15-2007, 02:15
I didn't see it. Were there any bear/human encounters? I haven't really heard of any thru-hikers having problems on the CDT in Yellowstone in the last eight years I've been on the cdt-l. Not many sightings either. Glacier is another story.

jrwiesz
10-15-2007, 02:35
I didn't see it. Were there any bear/human encounters? I haven't really heard of any thru-hikers having problems on the CDT in Yellowstone in the last eight years I've been on the cdt-l. Not many sightings either. Glacier is another story.

I think it was a discussion centering around the "Bears" and getting them/not having them taken off the endangered/threatened list. I'm not sure if it had any incidents of bear/human encounters, more I think with the bear/livestock difficulties/encounters. Principals discussing the merits for both sides? I did see discussion on the fact that their[bears] food sources are being depleted by problems with the high altitude feeding on moths[less of them?], then the pine nut[pine tree draught?] at a little lower elevation, thus pushing the bears to lowest elevations and more chance encounters with humans. As I posted, I caught the very end of the program, most likely to be repeated, as much PBS programing is.:sun

Moon Monster
10-15-2007, 13:42
One of the items I'd never heard before is that Yellowstone grizzlies tend to spend much of the summer above treeline digging for moths. There were some nice shots of bears glissading down snowfields. There was also a cool scene of a pack of wolves chasing off a bear from a kill.

saimyoji
10-15-2007, 15:25
The end of the show said that in 2005 there would be a vote on the status of the Grizz....must have been made prior to 2005. :-?

NICKTHEGREEK
10-15-2007, 15:41
I think it was a discussion centering around the "Bears" and getting them/not having them taken off the endangered/threatened list. I'm not sure if it had any incidents of bear/human encounters, more I think with the bear/livestock difficulties/encounters. Principals discussing the merits for both sides? I did see discussion on the fact that their[bears] food sources are being depleted by problems with the high altitude feeding on moths[less of them?], then the pine nut[pine tree draught?] at a little lower elevation, thus pushing the bears to lowest elevations and more chance encounters with humans. As I posted, I caught the very end of the program, most likely to be repeated, as much PBS programing is.:sun
The show was made in 2005 at the latest.

Fiddleback
10-16-2007, 09:51
The show was made in 2005 at the latest.

I'm fairly certain it is a 2004 film. As posted above, PBS repeats its shows...;)

FB