PDA

View Full Version : Thru hiking with a dog

Jack Duluoz
10-14-2007, 23:02
Good or bad idea.

I would love to take my dog coming up in '09.

Has anyone done it?

Advise it?

Discuss...

Appalachian Tater
10-14-2007, 23:06
Hey, there may be some discussion of this in the dog forum (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=439). Basically, it's a really bad idea for many reasons but every year a few people attempt it and a very few succeed.

Just a Hiker
10-14-2007, 23:16
removed post

ChinMusic
10-14-2007, 23:30
I love to day-hike/weekend-hike (just did today) with my dog but I cannot see thru-hiking with him. From reading TJs, and talking with my buddies who have done the AT, I have decided that my pup will not be with me should I attempt the AT.

You will want more freedom to socialize to get the full experience of the AT. As much as I love my dog, I now understand how complicated his presence would make my thru. You will have potential problems hitching/hotels/hostels/restaurants/shelters/etc.

stranger
10-15-2007, 06:46
I love seeing dogs on the trail, but then again I'm a dog lover. I wouldn't recommend thru-hiking with a dog for many reasons - skunk encounters, lack of trail facilities that allow dogs, cannot take them thru the Smokies or into Baxter, many thru-hikers don't want dogs around, you won't be able to hike your own hike, can't really use the shelters, porcupine encounters in New England, etc..But if your dog is well trained and you can completely control the dog in every single situation then it would probably work if you are willing to accept all the disadvantages of taking a dog along.

I'll be one of the hikers who's glad to see a dog, but I don't think that's the popular opinion going.

RiverWarriorPJ
10-15-2007, 07:01
Hikers....thru or section...w/or w/out a dog shouldn't have the need 4 hitching/hotels/hostels/restaurants/shelters/etc.......

shelterbuilder
10-15-2007, 07:13
I have taken my dogs (several over the last 20 years) on the trail for some long section hikes (no, I'm not a thru-hiker yet). IMHO, a leash is mandatory to keep the dog safe and out of trouble (just this weekend, the leash kept my dog out of a dogfight with a loose dog, and kept it from getting bit by a timber rattler). Skunks, bears, porcupines and non-dog-loving hikers are 4 more reasons to keep your dog on a leash.

Taking the dog will create an additional set of logistical problems for you - extra food, extra meds (flea and tick stuff, heartworm meds, etc.), extra water, extra weight in general. If the dog gets hurt, can you carry it out? Possible extra money spent at strange vet's offices along the way. Boarding expenses in the Smokies and Baxter. If you're cool with this, then plan for it and go for it. If not, it might be better to make plans to leave the dog with someone while you hike.

chiefdaddy
10-15-2007, 07:37
Hikers....thru or section...w/or w/out a dog shouldn't have the need 4 hitching/hotels/hostels/restaurants/shelters/etc.......

ummm ok... not sure what that means? all of the above is a huge part of the trail.

EWS
10-15-2007, 07:43
He was being a smartass; saying if you have a dog, don't count on the aforementioned amenities.

chiefdaddy
10-15-2007, 08:17
I made friends on my last hike and they helped out when they could. Yes I ate my food outside(take out) and had someone watch my dog while I shopped for food. There are a lot of places that do take dogs like Ron Haven In Franklin ect. I plan on doing my hike as cheap as possible so these "problems" would help me save money. I have found Chief helps make new friends left and right on the trail. I am able to carry him for a full days hike due to him being under 20lbs and this helps a lot in bad spots of weather and trail!! not to mention a small dog needs less food!

FanaticFringer
10-15-2007, 08:25
He was being a smartass; saying if you have a dog, don't count on the aforementioned amenities.

He said with or without a dog.

KirkMcquest
10-15-2007, 10:18
Sounds like a giant pain in the *ss. I love dogs on the trail and I bring mine all the time, but a thru-hike? Too many unforeseeable factors

Appalachian Tater
10-15-2007, 10:34
have found Chief helps make new friends left and right on the trail.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18181&catid=member&imageuser=13689

Not exactly your typical trail dog!

No one has mentioned that dogs are not allowed on certain parts of the trail, costing extra money and creating a logistics issue.

Yukon
10-15-2007, 10:52
Seems to me that a thru hike with a dog would be one heck of a task, but would add more to the accomplishment possibly for one's self...

ChinMusic
10-15-2007, 10:53
I plan on attempting the AT when I retire. We also plan on having an RV for travelling half the year. My wife is on board for loosely "shadowing" me with the RV on the trek from Georgia to Maine. She can do her sight-seeing/shopping/etc thing while I hike. This would allow me to swap-out gear quickly and sleep in my own bed from time to time.

Having "home" so near by would also allow me to take the dog on certain segments, but I have no delusions about taking him on the majority of miles.

Grampie
10-15-2007, 10:54
I have taken my dogs (several over the last 20 years) on the trail for some long section hikes (no, I'm not a thru-hiker yet). IMHO, a leash is mandatory to keep the dog safe and out of trouble (just this weekend, the leash kept my dog out of a dogfight with a loose dog, and kept it from getting bit by a timber rattler). Skunks, bears, porcupines and non-dog-loving hikers are 4 more reasons to keep your dog on a leash.

Taking the dog will create an additional set of logistical problems for you - extra food, extra meds (flea and tick stuff, heartworm meds, etc.), extra water, extra weight in general. If the dog gets hurt, can you carry it out? Possible extra money spent at strange vet's offices along the way. Boarding expenses in the Smokies and Baxter. If you're cool with this, then plan for it and go for it. If not, it might be better to make plans to leave the dog with someone while you hike.

When you start a thru-hike the odds are against you that you will finish. 80 % of the folks who start don't finish, and that's without a dog to care for. The dog brings little but takes a lot away from a thru-hike. I would estimate that those who start a thru, with a dog, only have a 10 in 1 chance of finishing.
If you are serious about doing a thru, give taking a dog along some serious thought.

SGT Rock
10-15-2007, 11:05
We haven't moved this to the dog forum yet because some folks get bent out of shape if you say a dog (any dog) shouldn't go on the AT or they get bent out of shape if someone reccomends a person not bring a dog.

That said. Sure you could bring a dog, just take some things into consideration:

1. Dogs cannot complain like people do. A good, loyal dog can walk itself into an injury to keep up with its master. It isn't that you would ignore your dog or intend to injury it - it can happen like it can happen to any other hiker. The main difference is the dog cannot tell you how it feels, where it hurts, or what they want to do to get to feeling better.

2. Dogs are not allowed everywhere on the trail. Some places you will have to board your dog or skip the section, or yellow/blue blaze around the areas to facilitate your pet.

3. Dogs are not welcome everywhere. Some services such as resturaunts, hostels, hotels, and othere places won't admit your pet. Your option could be to not use these services or use them and leave your dog outside in the weather while you are enjoying it.

4. Not everyone will love, like, or understand your pet. What may be friendly to you from your dog may be consider annoying or hostile to other hikers. If you are going to bring a pet, make sure it is socialized and knows how to be a good hiker with good manners.

5. Not all dogs can pack enough food and stuff for their own use. So taking a dog may mean you have to carry more food and equipment.

6. Dogs can "excite" skunks and other animals that it may be better not to.

7. Your dog's ability to do miles may not match up with yours. Think of it like hiking with a child - you always have to hike to the lowest ability level when you are in a group and the dog is a hiker for your group.

8. Your dog needs to be as LNT as you are. No standing in the spring drinking, no crapping on the trail, no plopping his wet, muddy butt down on other people's gear, and other things like that.

FatMan
10-15-2007, 11:59
I hike with my dog all the time. But we only section for a couple of weeks at a time. I can't imagine hiking without him. He is my hiking partner. From the time Cooper was a puppy he was on trails. If we are not backpacking, we are day hiking five plus miles nearly everyday so he is well adapted to the outdoors and trail surfaces. We walk mountain trails when I am up at my Grassy Gap property or we walk the Stone Mountain trail when I am imprisoned in my suburban Atlanta home. At age three, Cooper has walked a couple of thousand miles on trails with me. With that said, taking a dog on the trail is like taking a seven year old who can't speak.

If taking your dog is something you truly desire, then by all means do so. You will be given hundreds of reasons not to take your dog. But those that have completed their thru-hike with their dog have found it highly rewarding and that is what it is all about.

But it is hard, and will put demands on you that other hikers won't be dealing with. Make sure you get your vet involved with preparing your dog for the trail, and most important is for you to learn dog language so you know how your dog is handling the environment. Don't begin your hike until you have a few planned predermined early opt out points for your dog. Maybe Neels Gap, Hiawassee, and Fontana since you have to Kennel your dog at that point anyway.

If money is an issue, sending your dog home could very well be a deal breaker in your decision process. If you would find it difficult the pay the money to send your dog home, then don't take it along. Just like the seven year old, your dog's health has to come first in all decisions.

Of course your dog has to be well trained and well behaved. But you will also have to deal with hikers who do not like dogs period, regardless of how well behaved you dog is. And you have to respect their right to not like dogs. For that reason, don't stay at shelters. Dogs and shelters don't mix. You have chosen to take your dog for companionship, therefore plan to stay away from other hikers. If it is your desire to socialize with other hikers then leave your dog at home.

I have no intention to thru-hike, therefore I will never have to make the decision. If I were to thru-hike I believe I would leave my dog at home, but that does not mean taking your dog in not right for you. Only you can decide, but please, please, please, do your homework.

Puppy
10-15-2007, 12:42
One thing I have read on another thread on Whiteblaze was that you will not see nearly as much wildlife if a dog is with you. I do not know if that is right or not, but in any case I am leaving my dogs at home for the thru for all the reasons the others have said.

EastCoastClimber
10-15-2007, 13:17
I know that Doggiebag on this site is currently NOBO right now with his dog Aldo. I read his journal everyday, or at least when he update it. He also is doing a video journal on youtube. His dog Aldo, did get bitten pretty badly by a rattlesnake in PA, but he survived.

His Journal - http://trailjournals.com/doggiebag

His Videos - http://youtube.com/user/etherbud (http://youtube.com/user/etherbud)

Appalachian Tater
10-15-2007, 13:32
IHis dog Aldo, did get bitten pretty badly by a rattlesnake in PA, but he survived.

Well, I guess another factor you should consider is how you would react if your dog were serverely injured, lost, or killed. I know one hiker whose dog was lost and that was one distraught man, in as much panic and pain as someone who had lost a child.

shelterbuilder
10-15-2007, 13:37
Well, I guess another factor you should consider is how you would react if your dog were serverely injured, lost, or killed. I know one hiker whose dog was lost and that was one distraught man, in as much panic and pain as someone who had lost a child.

Gone through it five times now, all from natural causes/old age. You have no idea....:(

Appalachian Tater
10-15-2007, 20:25
Gone through it five times now, all from natural causes/old age. You have no idea....:(

Oh, I do. I still dream about the dog I grew up with. :(

SGT Rock
10-15-2007, 20:26
Me too. I loved those dogs.

Nightwalker
10-15-2007, 21:02
If you want to take your dog, take your dog. If you ask for opinions, you're just gonna pick the ones that go the way you want anyway! :)

I rarely hike without my dog, and miss here when I don't take her, so I'm biased.

Tin Man
10-15-2007, 21:14
Some thoughts to consider:

If you take a friend or partner thru-hiking, he or she can tell you when they have had enough and are going home. Can your dog tell you, will you recognize the message and what will you do?

Hiking long distance is physically very hard on a dog. If your dog becomes injured and need treatment, what will you do and how will you feel about it?

Only the best trained dogs will be tolerated by other hikers. Are you prepared to deal with situations on a daily basis where your dog may forget his or her manners and the reaction of other hikers?

RiverWarriorPJ
10-16-2007, 10:15
Some thoughts to consider:

IOnly the best trained dogs will be tolerated by other hikers. Are you prepared to deal with situations on a daily basis where your dog may forget his or her manners and the reaction of other hikers?
I think my dog is pretty well mannered on the trail w/one exception.....whenever he's done w/his swim, he runs right up to Hog on Ice, & only HOI, no matter where he may be.... then he shakes..lol..:D