PDA

View Full Version : Fire starting w/steel wool

BIOA
10-15-2007, 11:52
I teach a survival course to aeromedical personnel. Using a spark source such as Blast Match or Strike Force send sparks to steel wool pad. Have tinder ready to place on top. You only need a few sparks to ignite steel wool. when sparks hit the pad, blow on it as you place tinder on top. It has neverr failed to work in dry or wet conditions. Steel wool has minimal weight, lasts a long time and is the best back-up for weight/reliability and is used by military/ search and rescue in all kinds of terrain.
Also, I have had an MSR XGK stove since 1977. It has never failed, burns any flammable liquid and boils water in 2 1/2 - 3 minutes. Well after all these years it leaked from the pump piston while lighting. Th whole thing started to burn, so I through it onto the ground and covered it with soil to extinguis the fire and revent the fuel bottle from exploding. I called MSR/Cascade Designs. They had me send it in for repair. Two weeks later they returned it to me, but instead of receiving my old dependable stove, they sent me a brand new XGK!, No Charge, lifetime guarantee! What a great company. I was disappointed thought that I couldn't keep that stove working as long ass I was alive.
BIOA:):):)

The Old Fhart
10-15-2007, 13:01
I have used a 'metal match' for 25 years and it never fails. On the steel wool, get the very fine from Home Depot or some hardware store. Also make sure you don't get the kitchen steel wool pads that are coated with soap or whatever. Keep the steel wool sealed in a small ziplock bag or you may find you just have a small pile of rust when you need the steel wool most.

Appalachian Tater
10-15-2007, 13:02
Steel wool is flammable or I'm missing something crucial?

The Old Fhart
10-15-2007, 13:04
Steel wool burns with a very hot flame but doesn't last long so it is just good for starting fires in almost any conditions.

take-a-knee
10-15-2007, 13:06
The MSR stove design is a good one but it is dependent on O-rings to keep pressure and fuel in their proper locations. I can't believe yours lasted 30yrs. These are periodic maintenance items. That is why MSR markets those maintenance kits.

Appalachian Tater
10-15-2007, 13:08
Yeah, I guess anything that will oxidize by rusting will oxidize by burning. I must have missed that day in science class!

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/04/05/pyrotechnic-fun-with.html

hopefulhiker
10-15-2007, 13:09
I have also seen steelwool ignite with batteries...

BIOA
10-15-2007, 13:12
I did a test comparing the different grades of steel wool,(I'm a bit OCD), and I found that the very fine, (OOOO) burned too fast and the coarse didn't ignite well. I use the OO or the OOO. I do keep it in two zip locks as they tend to tear. You can also spray them lightly w/ cooking or other flammable oil if they are going to be stored for a long time. But, thebest thing to do is replace them every couple of monthe or more frequently if you live in a high humidity area. They are found in every hardware store, so should be easily obtained when going off trail to restock.
BIOA

BIOA
10-15-2007, 13:14
I have also seen steelwool ignite with batteries...
Yes you can ignit them with batteries and a paperclip, but it get very hot and it is easy to burn your fingers, plus you have the weight of the batteries and a shortened battery life if they are from your light.
BIOA

BIOA
10-15-2007, 13:16
The MSR stove design is a good one but it is dependent on O-rings to keep pressure and fuel in their proper locations. I can't believe yours lasted 30yrs. These are periodic maintenance items. That is why MSR markets those maintenance kits.
Yes it was a great stove, requiring little maintence. I used it from Florida, to New Hampshire and out to Colorado with out failure one.
BIOA

Titanium Rat
10-15-2007, 14:28
Let your steel wool rust up turn to "rust dust" and then mix with some very fine aluminum dust, stick in a handy little magnesium ribbon strip.

Light,,TAKE COVER,,,and you now have 4000 degree thermite:sun........:-?

that will get your fire started!

or mix up some potassium permanganate & glycerin.

refreeman
10-15-2007, 14:48
What's better to start fire with? Magnesium shavings or Steel Wool?

take-a-knee
10-15-2007, 14:59
You'll need something to catch the magnesium shavings, preferably something flammable like a vaseline soaked cotton ball, or you won't get enough spark/heat in one place to ingnite anything.

zelph
10-15-2007, 15:24
What's better to start fire with? Magnesium shavings or Steel Wool?

It's better to start a fire with Magnesium shavings. 1 little pile the size of your thumb will start a fire under the harshest of conditions. (If you know how)

oldfivetango
10-15-2007, 15:32
By the way,why are we building a fire?
Oldfivetango

shelterbuilder
10-15-2007, 15:35
Let your steel wool rust up turn to "rust dust" and then mix with some very fine aluminum dust, stick in a handy little magnesium ribbon strip.

I see that you've been reading "The Anarchist's Cookbook".:eek:

shelterbuilder
10-15-2007, 15:36
Oldfivetango

Probably to burn down Dick's Dome...wait, that's another thread...sorry.:o

oldfivetango
10-15-2007, 15:44
My point is that I have lost count of the number of times I
have about frozen around a camp fire.

If I get wet I am going to open my pack and put on dry clothes,
light my Brasslite Turbo 2 d and have some hot cuppa soup,and
get in my bag.
Goodnite all.;)
Oldfivetango

JimM
10-15-2007, 15:57
If I get wet I am going to open my pack and put on dry clothes, light my Brasslite Turbo 2 d and have some hot cuppa soup,and get in my bag.
Another fan of the Brasslite Turbo 2D here...with a 3 cup pot enough for a hot drink to go with the freezer bag blue plate special.
Jim

Outlaw
10-15-2007, 16:17
Steel wool is flammable or I'm missing something crucial?

Steel wool is made by using a metal lathe with cutting oil. It soaks up a fair amount of the oil, which keeps it from rusting for a period of time.

Pull some steel wool apart and touch one end to the + side of a AA (or stronger) battery and the other side to the - side. In a matter of 2-3 seconds, the steel wool will begin to glow orange.

As an aside, you will often see plumbers cleaning copper tubing and fittings with OOO or OOOO steel wool before sweating a joint (no, not that kind of joint). Actually, it should not be used for this purpose, as it leaves a light coating of oil on the copper, which is a contaminant for a "clean" solder joint.

refreeman
10-15-2007, 16:31
Oldfivetango

Remember, fire is the most important survival tool. Fire can warm you, Dry you and your clothes, Shine light for you to see with, Keep unwanted animals and insects away, Make questionable water safe to drink, Melt snow and ice to give you water to drink, Cook food and make it edible, Make a smoky signal fire so a search party can find you and give psychological comfort and strength very important to survival.
Fire can prevent the biggest killer of lost and or injured hikers, hypothermia.

FIRE! make some and do your ancestors proud! :cool:

oldfivetango
10-15-2007, 16:43
Remember, fire is the most important survival tool. Fire can warm and dry you and your clothes, Shine light for you to see with, Keep unwanted animals and insects away, Make questionable water safe to drink, Melt snow and ice to give you water to drink, Cook food and make it edible, Make a smoky signal fire so a search party can find you and give psychological comfort and strength very important to survival.

Well,if it makes you feel better,I have made FIRE with the hand drill,
flint and steel.the bow drill etc.People in my family think I am a pyromaniac.
Sometimes I wonder myself and am always looking for a good excuse to
make one.But I have still nearly frozen sitting around them in social
situations.A little Jack Daniels makes the fire go better in the winter time.:D
Oldfivetango

leeki pole
10-15-2007, 16:48
Steel wool is made by using a metal lathe with cutting oil. It soaks up a fair amount of the oil, which keeps it from rusting for a period of time.

Pull some steel wool apart and touch one end to the + side of a AA (or stronger) battery and the other side to the - side. In a matter of 2-3 seconds, the steel wool will begin to glow orange.

As an aside, you will often see plumbers cleaning copper tubing and fittings with OOO or OOOO steel wool before sweating a joint (no, not that kind of joint). Actually, it should not be used for this purpose, as it leaves a light coating of oil on the copper, which is a contaminant for a "clean" solder joint.

Hey Outlaw, do you think a 9 volt battery would work, with both terminals on the top? Are or they too close together? I just was thinking about a compact starter package. May have to try it tonight when I get home.

SoonerTex
10-15-2007, 17:10
Remember, fire is the most important survival tool. Fire can warm you, Dry you and your clothes, Shine light for you to see with, Keep unwanted animals and insects away, Make questionable water safe to drink, Melt snow and ice to give you water to drink, Cook food and make it edible, Make a smoky signal fire so a search party can find you and give psychological comfort and strength very important to survival.

and don't forget roasting marshmallows. :) You are right, being able to start a fire might just save you.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-15-2007, 18:08
Oldfivetango
I think because our MSR stove won't light. Snow Peak is better.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-15-2007, 18:10
Best steel fire starter I ever ran across said Zippo, Bradford Pa. Made in USA

JimM
10-15-2007, 19:29
Best steel fire starter I ever ran across said Zippo, Bradford Pa. Made in USA
I agree...especially in cold, wet conditions.
Jim

shelterbuilder
10-15-2007, 19:40
Oldfivetango

Oldfivetango, have you ever used a fire piston? I hear that they work really, really great. They use air compression to ignite a piece of charcloth. It's the same principle as a diesel engine, only without the diesel fuel.

BIOA
10-15-2007, 19:46
Oldfivetango
Jack Daniels may make you feel warm, but all alcohol is a vasodilator which results in greater heat loss and possibly hyperthermia, but at least you'll die happy.
BIOA

CoyoteWhips
10-15-2007, 20:23
Hey Outlaw, do you think a 9 volt battery would work, with both terminals on the top?

Works great. It was a firestarting fad a decade ago or so ago. Then people started wondering if the foresight to bring steel wool and a battery might be better redirected toward a bic lighter.

Sometimes I wonder if my butane microtorch is worth the backpack space just for firestarting. I pull the trigger and it makes a blue-hot windproof jet flame.

Titanium Rat
10-15-2007, 21:06
I see that you've been reading "The Anarchist's Cookbook".:eek:

Nope, just some old tools of the trade from back in the day.

oldfivetango
10-15-2007, 23:47
Oldfivetango, have you ever used a fire piston? I hear that they work really, really great. They use air compression to ignite a piece of charcloth. It's the same principle as a diesel engine, only without the diesel fuel.

As a matter of fact,I own two fire pistons.They recommend tinder
fungus with them but that stuff dried out on me and I had to go
to using char cloth which is a bit messy.Also,I had to use a dab of
vaseline to get good compression on my buffalo horn piston etc and
all that became a bit cumbersome to keep up with.Bottom line,I
would not really want to be dependent on a fire piston in an emergency.

What I have that is the ultimate is the BlastMatch followed by the
Walmart type steel striker mag block and a dab of charcloth.I like to have
a roll of Jute twine that I delaminate to make a nice tinder ball to start
the fire.Plain old grass rope works almost as good also.

Sometimes I will use a lighter but I am a bit scared of them exploding.
It is rare but it can happen under the right circumstances.Please note
that they all say not to keep it lit more than a specified number of seconds.
Why is that?Is it because the gas pressure can get low and maybe "flash
back" to the tank?I wonder:-?

I admit,yes I am a pyro,but I practice safety first.Smokey would be
proud.
Oldfivetango

Titanium Rat
10-16-2007, 01:08
in my survival kit I keep a block of compressed and vaccum sealed drier lint. try to stick with cotton not synthetic. tear off a bit and drop som mag shavings in it and hit it with the flint,,,,,first strike is usally a winner.:)

HIKER7s
10-16-2007, 08:00
It's better to start a fire with Magnesium shavings. 1 little pile the size of your thumb will start a fire under the harshest of conditions. (If you know how)

I use the magnesium shavings into a pre-made nest of dryerlint and a little bit of steel wool for a seat. Works all the time. Sometimes while pre-making these guys, I add some wax dripping, holding the dryer lint and steel wool together. I found the wax however in the rain or when its wet out doesnt want to igmite quickly. That why I do some of each.

Flush2wice
10-16-2007, 09:08
Bic, leaves, sticks, branches, logs.

Wanderingson
10-16-2007, 12:47

Potassium Permanganate? Wow I haven't heard that one in years. Since 9/11, it is becoming extremly difficult to find.

It is still availble in europe.

If you can find it, keep it in a sealed film canister. I used to store my glycerin (Glycol--antifreeze) in a visine bottle in a seperate compartment. I learned some time ago that they call this cemical reaction "hypergolic".

Not too many folks have used this method of emergency fire starting--cool to see someone else out there who is aware of it.

zelph
10-16-2007, 13:36
Potassium Permanganate? Wow I haven't heard that one in years. Since 9/11, it is becoming extremly difficult to find.

It is still availble in europe.

If you can find it, keep it in a sealed film canister. I used to store my glycerin (Glycol--antifreeze) in a visine bottle in a seperate compartment. I learned some time ago that they call this cemical reaction "hypergolic".

Not too many folks have used this method of emergency fire starting--cool to see someone else out there who is aware of it.

Potassium Permaganganate is used in water treatment. Ask a plumber to get you some.

Stay away from mechanical devices that have breakable parts. The blast match has been known to fail. Use something dependable to start your life saving fire. FLINT, STEEL, MAGNESIUM

Use any of the above mentioned items to start camp fires and such. Use something you can depend on and carry it with you always, on your keychain or in your wallet/purse.

johnny quest
10-16-2007, 14:05
i never looked at the steel wool/battery thing as a primary firestarter. back in the days of minmags and elbow flashlights i carried a tiny bit of steel wool in the back compartment of the light. it took up no extra room or weight. nowadays with button batteries and tiny headlamps it isnt as relevant to a backpacker. i still carry some in my car flashlight. but i cant see carrying a battery just for that purpose.

Flush2wice
10-16-2007, 14:10
Coleman fuel burns pretty good too.

leeki pole
10-16-2007, 14:15
Back when we could get it, we used potassium permanganate to clear up murky farm ponds, especially in the autumn when they "turned over."

Can't get it around here any more. Man, that stuff leaves your skin a serious shade of purple. But it worked wonders.

Uncle Silly
10-16-2007, 15:07
bic lighter, birch bark, twigs, sticks, logs. birch bark is the best firestarter you can get, and if you're in the right terrain, you don't even need to carry it. :)

Brrrb Oregon
10-16-2007, 17:05

Yeah, but we're talking about what you put on your back to take into a wilderness area. Except for what I take along for water treatment, I don't like strong oxidizing agents like permanganate salts in my backpack, let alone in the company of liquid organics like glycerin. Magnesium is also a bit of overkill. It just isn't necessary to have such strong reactants to get a fire started.

Steel wool works fine, it is cheap, and it has lots of practical uses. Besides, if you go for the overkill, you can have some nasty accidents in your pack that could have been avoided.

Incidentally, I have found that one of the practical uses of steel wool is plugging holes that rodents use to get into the house, like the holes that allow plumbing into the house. The rodentia don't like that stuff in their mouths, so they don't tend to nibble through or mess with the plugs. (Knock on wood: so far, so good.)

Titanium Rat
10-16-2007, 23:16
yeah, I was just joking a little about the mag and alum and the liquids. I am with you, I am not carring that stuff with me unless i need to;) . This thread just brought back memories.

My personal favorite a.....................BIC (or 2or3 in case you run accross someone that may need one).

Brrrb Oregon
10-16-2007, 23:20
yeah, I was just joking a little about the mag and alum and the liquids. I am with you, I am not carring that stuff with me unless i need to;) . This thread just brought back memories.

My personal favorite a.....................BIC (or 2or3 in case you run accross someone that may need one).

OK. Because there's stuff I'd set off on a big patio that I wouldn't want in my backpack.

OTOH, I don't really like Mg fires. They're so WHITE. Too bright for me. That's just me.

Nokona
10-17-2007, 20:16
A 9volt battery works well to ignite steel wool as it is small light and you just have to touch it to the steel wool

HIKER7s
10-18-2007, 06:46
bic lighter, birch bark, twigs, sticks, logs. birch bark is the best firestarter you can get, and if you're in the right terrain, you don't even need to carry it. :)

I agree on the birch bark, great firestarter. Another one I like is the small dead twigs of a spruce or cedar.

HIKER7s
10-18-2007, 06:50
OK. Because there's stuff I'd set off on a big patio that I wouldn't want in my backpack.

OTOH, I don't really like Mg fires. They're so WHITE. Too bright for me. That's just me.

I like my mag. starter. I dont get into the large volume stuff. In fact I always try to start the fires with match and what I can find where I am at. I use the mag particles when I am in a hurry or its crappy weather.

zelph
10-18-2007, 14:48
I teach a survival course to aeromedical personnel. Using a spark source such as Blast Match or Strike Force send sparks to steel wool pad.
BIOA:):):)

BIOA, how did the aeromedical personnel respond when you told them they had to carry a blastmatch and a wad of steel wool?

Everyone needs to remember that BIOA is saying he teaches a survival course not a campfire starting course.:D

How would you survive if you became separated from your pack? You need something in your pockets at all times that will help in starting your life saving fire. Hypothermia can kill even in mild temperatures.

If you smoke, you'll always have a lighter with you right? Have you smokers ever found your bic or zippo out of fuel just when you go to light up:D That might be the case when you need it in an emergency.

How many of your are ready to carry a blastmatch around with you 24/7 and a wad of steel wool stuffed in your pocket?