PDA

View Full Version : Food

partinj
10-15-2007, 13:23
Do you guys remote the food like milk from it elv. and put in ziplock bags. And do you do the same with all the food . :-?

Appalachian Tater
10-15-2007, 13:29
I use quart and gallon ziplock freezer bags to repackage things like candy or crackers that I will be eating a little at a time. Single-serving packages I leave as is. Something like a box of cous-cous or milk I would put in ziplocks. Individual servings of hot chocolate I wouldn't because of the mess and measuring problem that would result.

Summit
10-15-2007, 17:07
As "AT" said, focus on getting rid of all the weight and trash you will have to carry after consumed, tempered with mess and convenience considerations, like measuring, etc., and by all means, NPC (Never Pack Cans)! :D

Jack Tarlin
10-15-2007, 17:43
I carry cans frequently, and so do lots of folks.

People should carry whatever they like.

-SEEKER-
10-15-2007, 17:49
If I'm going to carry seven days worth of hot chocolate, then I open the evelopes and put the contents in one snack size ziplock bag. With something like ramen noodles, I smash them up as small as I can then I can get 2 to 3 packages into one sandwich size ziplock. That also makes it easier to cook them. Just add boiling water.

Just a Hiker
10-15-2007, 17:58
remove post

River Runner
10-15-2007, 21:10
I buy tiny ziplocks from the craft section and repackage things like individual packets of hot chocolate or spiced apple cider, or package my own hot drink mix (usually cappuchino & vanilla caramel creamer) or things like parmesan cheese or mixed nuts. I also repackage freeze-dried food into pint size freezer zip-locks & reconstitue in the bags (1/2 the original package in each zip-lock). I'm sure it saves more on bulk than it does on weight, but it is convenient & I have less bulky trash to pack out.

saimyoji
10-15-2007, 21:19
FOOD......now here is a topic that I can get into!! I usually try and make my food as light as possible as well; however, I will carry cans of food my first day after I resupply. I usually bring a treat for that first night back in the woods......canned chicken, or ham, or chili!!

Jim

Hmmm....then you just have to hump out the empty can. Wouldn't it make more sense to keep it until the end of your hike, eating fresh foods just out of town?

saimyoji
10-15-2007, 21:19
Hmmm....then you just have to hump out the empty can. Wouldn't it make more sense to keep it until the end of your hike, eating fresh foods just out of town?

By "end of your hike" I mean closer to the next resup.

rafe
10-15-2007, 21:23
It's hard to imagine how people hiked before Ziplocs.

During the day, while hiking, all my food goes into one of two containers: 1) main bag, inside pack, contains dinners and excess "snack" food, 2) a quart sized Ziploc, in an outside pocket, with the snacking food for that day.

Small Ziplocs are good for splitting up the snacking food between these two categories. Eg., cut a block of cheese or a summer sausage in two. One half of each goes inside the pack, the other half of each goes with the snacking food, outside the pack.

Just a Hiker
10-15-2007, 21:27
removed post

Appalachian Tater
10-15-2007, 21:32
I carry cans frequently, and so do lots of folks.

People should carry whatever they like.

I'm not too big on tuna and can only eat it occasionally. Chicken pouches are not always available--where I live, I can't find a grocery store anywhere around that stocks them, and many on the trail don't. But the problem with canned chicken is not so much the can but all of the liquid in there, same thing with tuna. This is what led me to accept eating turkey Spam.

rafe
10-15-2007, 21:51
I'm not too big on tuna and can only eat it occasionally.

Have you tried tuna steaks? You can get them in the foil packs. I'm with you -- usually tuna makes me gag. But for some reason in "steaks" it's tolerable. :-?

Appalachian Tater
10-15-2007, 21:59
Well, yes I did buy the steaks, and they are better, and there's this lemon-pepper tuna I find tolerable, and sometimes I crave tunafish salad, but hiking I couldn't even eat it once a week. Just the thought of it made me sick, in any form. The juice does aggravate the problem by making more smell. I love seafood of all kinds, unless it's raw, and except for fish, which is only tolerable when prepared in certain ways and not oily or too fishy. Farm-raised catfish fried I can eat, but mackerel, ugh.

Blissful
10-15-2007, 22:15
And get the real Ziplocs with the double seals. Don't go cheap, because cheapie ones tear and shred and the seals bust.

Just a Hiker
10-15-2007, 22:18
removed post

Just a Hiker
10-15-2007, 22:48
removed post

Appalachian Tater
10-15-2007, 23:32
There are dark chocolate M&Ms now, and with peanuts, but not dark chocolate with almonds. With Snickers, they don't have the dark chocolate with almonds, either.

sarbar
10-16-2007, 15:38
Not to change the topic too much, but I just saw a tv commercial for "Dark Chocolate Snickers"! This makes me pretty happy!!!:banana

If you guys want the "good stuff" get the Payday Avalanche bar :eek: The king size bar has 24 grams of fat :eek:
I ate one 2 weeks ago after finishing a 30 mile overnighter on the PCT in snow. I was at a gas station at the pass when we came out and saw it...oh, it was freaky good. All freaky 24 grams of fat.