PDA

View Full Version : Relocation near Angels Gap, VA

trippclark
10-15-2007, 16:00
I just returned from a section hike southbound between Harvey's Knob Overlook on the BRP and Catawba, VA. The guy who shuttled us told us that there had been a very recent relocation near Angels Gap that cut out the steep climb up to Ruckers Knob. Indeed there was quite a lengthy section of fresh cut trail and the grade was moderate and never reached the 2200 ft or powerline that are listed at Ruckers Knob. I never was quite sure when we intersected back with the "old" trail, only that it was somewhere well before Lambert Meadow campsite. Does anyone know how much distance this new relocation added to or subtracted from the length of the section that it replaced?

Blissful
10-15-2007, 18:40
I just returned from a section hike southbound between Harvey's Knob Overlook on the BRP and Catawba, VA. The guy who shuttled us told us that there had been a very recent relocation near Angels Gap that cut out the steep climb up to Ruckers Knob. Indeed there was quite a lengthy section of fresh cut trail and the grade was moderate and never reached the 2200 ft or powerline that are listed at Ruckers Knob. I never was quite sure when we intersected back with the "old" trail, only that it was somewhere well before Lambert Meadow campsite. Does anyone know how much distance this new relocation added to or subtracted from the length of the section that it replaced?

We actually saw them out there scouting out the area when we came through on our hike. The steep section was badly eroded and in need of a reroute. Great news.