PDA

View Full Version : booze in your bearbag?

cabalot
11-17-2003, 21:00
for those that bring booze, beer or wine on the trail, do you keep it in a bearbag at night?
wine would be a must since it is sweet and grape smelling, but what about the hard stuff. would you keep Jack Daniels or vodka in your tent like on a cold night?
could wine on your breath attract a bear as you sleep? :bse

Bankrobber
11-17-2003, 23:42
Unless you are in grizzly country, I would not worry about bears going after you over the smell of food on you. I haven't seen anyone hang the clothes they cooked in on the AT.
I doubt that alcohol will attract bears. Hanging a bear bag after a few swigs could pose some problems.

The Weasel
11-18-2003, 00:15
for those that bring booze, beer or wine on the trail, do you keep it in a bearbag at night?
wine would be a must since it is sweet and grape smelling, but what about the hard stuff. would you keep Jack Daniels or vodka in your tent like on a cold night?
could wine on your breath attract a bear as you sleep? :bse

(1) Yes. Alcohol smells can attract animals, and they aren't that unfamiliar. In Michigan, there are occasional reports of drunken bears that have gotten wasted in abandoned apple orchards from eating vinegary-fermented downfall apples. I'm not kidding, and no, this is not an "urban legend."

(2) Sleep with your mouth closed.

The Weasel

chris
11-18-2003, 09:16
I don't put my rum or bourbon up in a tree, but I probably should. I'm not that worried about bear confrontations in southern Appalachia, though.

Jaybird
11-18-2003, 09:39
Cabalot:

If you're gonna "fly food"...why not be safe NOT SORRY....

fly the booze!

all have odors...some us humans can't detect but bears (dogs, coyotes, wolves, raccoons, skunks & other critters can..)...so, fly booze fly..especially in the mountains on the southern A.T. ;)

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird

Jack Tarlin
11-18-2003, 16:14
I can state unequivocally that packing booze with you does not attract unwelcome or meddlesome attention from bears.

Southbounders, however, are another matter.

Alligator
11-18-2003, 16:53
I hang mine to prevent enticing any critters. There's always a little whiskey that runs down the side of the flask. Besides, drunkard mice do the strangest things...

Footslogger
11-18-2003, 23:29
Gotta agree with Jack T on this one. That is unless them bears just don't like Jack Daniels. Generally had some at my side ...for medicinal purposed only, of course, and never had any bear problems this year on my thru or any other time on the trail for that matter.

TedB
11-19-2003, 12:58
If you smell like a hunter, the animals will probably keep their distance.

10degrees
11-21-2003, 00:31
Hanging yer booze in a bear bag makes it kinda awkward to have a nip during the night. wouldn't even consider it!

Former Easy
12-24-2003, 18:31
I hang mine to prevent enticing any critters. There's always a little whiskey that runs down the side of the flask. Besides, drunkard mice do the strangest things...

Oh yeah that is surely ethical treatment of animals, getting them drunk!

rumbler
12-26-2003, 22:37
What Jack said. The thought of my alcohol being that far out of reach is far more terrifying than the thoguht of sharing it with a bear.

Thomas Hughes
02-07-2004, 22:59
What Jack said. The thought of my alcohol being that far out of reach is far more terrifying than the thoguht of sharing it with a bear.
Man, do I want to be your trail friend! My family where bootlegers out here in the 20's!!!!! I could show you some cool stuff about the stuff. I never tryed to make it out backpacking thow?
Thomas

rumbler
02-08-2004, 13:09
For the record, I carried Maker's for medicinal purposes, and Bailey's to make instant coffee palatable. If a bear were to take these items, I would have ended up sleepily stranded on sore feet.

If I was really concerned about bears, I would sneak over and put a chocolate donut under Footslogger's tent. Then I would slink back to my tent and toast my ingenuity with my precious slog. Seemed to work well for me. :D