PDA

View Full Version : Ms. Tillie Wood

hacksaw
10-16-2007, 00:23
I just read a post on another list that said Ms. Tillie (of Woods Hole Hostel in SW Va. and namesake of Woods Hole Shelter in Georgia) has passed on.

SGT Rock
10-16-2007, 07:29
Oh no. My condolences.

Miss Janet
10-16-2007, 07:29
What an incredible LADY...
That makes the few hours I spent with her this summer very special.
I want to be like her when I grow up.

peter_pan
10-16-2007, 08:15
Kindest regards to her family... a truly wonderful lady and hostess of all who stayed or stopped.

Pan

Kerosene
10-16-2007, 08:35
I only had the opportunity to talk with her for about 10 minutes on a lovely morning when I was hiking out of Pearisburg a few years ago, but you could tell that she was special. She was hiking on the Trail near her hostel with two of her girlfriends when I met them. I would have made a point to stay with her if I had known about the hostel when I planned my hike that year.

eArThworm
10-16-2007, 12:43
Her obituary is in the Atlanta Journal Constitution at http://www.legacy.com/atlanta/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=96228449

Just a Hiker
10-16-2007, 12:44
removed post

Ramble~On
10-16-2007, 13:45
I stayed at Woods Hole in 1996. Tillie was a wonderful person and cooked up a storm of a breakfast as I remember. She asked each person who stayed to venture up into the woods and find a rock, bring it back and add it to her rock wall- It was a big rock wall.

SGT Rock
10-16-2007, 13:56
Anyone have a good image of her we can use for the "in Memory Of" gallery of WhiteBlaze?

Sly
10-16-2007, 14:03
Wood's Hole and Tillie were great. I fixed her oven for her and she gave me a free breakfast. :)

She'll be missed. :(

rafe
10-16-2007, 14:09
I remember staying at Woods Hole in 1990. Tillie and Wingfoot slacked a whole bunch of hikers between her place and the church hostel at Pearisburg.

Phreak
10-16-2007, 14:20
Very sad. :(

fishinfred
10-16-2007, 14:43
A GREAT LADY and a TRUE friend to all Hikers !
She will be missed !
Glad I had the chance to meet her in 05 ,I hope the family will keep the Hostel going (doubtful though)
Dorthy Mouldin (Ankle express) wrote a neat poem about Woods Hole Hostel
wish i could find it ....
Sad.....Both have passed on this year.....
PEACE

Survivor Dave
10-16-2007, 15:09
My condolences go out as well. She is the mother of our Mayor Jere Wood in the City of Roswell, Ga. where I've lived for the past 17 years. A friend e-mailed me and finally put it together. I didn't know they were one in the same. I stayed at the namesake shelter of her and her husband last year.

Survivor Dave

Survivor Dave
10-16-2007, 15:19
Rock,

I downloaded a picture of Mrs. Wood in the "In Memory Of" section so all can pay respects.

Survivor Dave

Anyone have a good image of her we can use for the "in Memory Of" gallery of WhiteBlaze?

kofritz
10-16-2007, 15:26
my condolences too to ms. tilly and woods hole. i always want to get back there. they were truly my first trail angels (keys locked in car, tow truck, breakfast - you know).

slowandlow
10-16-2007, 15:44
RIP Ms Tillie.

Survivor Dave
10-16-2007, 15:57
Hello all,

Below is the URL for her son Jere Wood the Mayor of the City of Roswell, Ga.. He is the son of Tillie Wood.
In it you can e-mail Mayor Wood directly. I have sent one representing the hiking community at www.Whiteblaze.net (http://www.Whiteblaze.net). I am sure he would appreciate the support at this time of loss.

Thanks,

Survivor Dave

http://www.roswellgov.com/index.php/p/4/t/Office%20of%20the%20Mayor (http://www.roswellgov.com/index.php/p/4/t/Office%20of%20the%20Mayor)

Hitch
10-16-2007, 16:28
On the hike into Woods Hole I fell and cut my chin. Ms. Tillie drove me into Pearisburg to the hospital for repair work. She waited for me and drove me back to the hostel in the dark. It was 2005 so she was 87 years old. It might have been worth the pain just to have the memory.

Blue Jay
10-16-2007, 16:35
NOOOOO. She was a most wonderful and kind person, one of the best I've ever met. The kind of person you want to live forever because she makes the world a better place. I am very sad to hear this, very sad.

Sly
10-16-2007, 16:49
Thanks for that. I passed it on to the at-l

Hello all,

Below is the URL for her son Jere Wood the Mayor of the City of Roswell, Ga.. He is the son of Tillie Wood.
In it you can e-mail Mayor Wood directly. I have sent one representing the hiking community at www.Whiteblaze.net (http://www.Whiteblaze.net). I am sure he would appreciate the support at this time of loss.

Thanks,

Survivor Dave

http://www.roswellgov.com/index.php/p/4/t/Office%20of%20the%20Mayor (http://www.roswellgov.com/index.php/p/4/t/Office%20of%20the%20Mayor)

Survivor Dave
10-16-2007, 17:09
Sly, are you going to the service at the church in Roswell? I tried to PM you but the box was full. I can give you the pertinants if you wish. It's tomorrow at 2PM followed by reception at the church as well.

Later,

Dave

Thanks for that. I passed it on to the at-l

Sly
10-16-2007, 17:16
Sly, are you going to the service at the church in Roswell? I tried to PM you but the box was full. I can give you the pertinants if you wish. It's tomorrow at 2PM followed by reception at the church as well.

I just cleared my box and may go. Send me what you have. Thanks.

Survivor Dave
10-16-2007, 17:29
For anyone interested in attending the service for Tillie Wood, it will be held at Roswell Presbytarian Church in Roswell, Ga. at 2PM. There will be a reception afterwards.
Below is the URL for directions. Traffic should be brisk so if you are planning to attend I suggest leaving a bit early.

Thanks,

Dave

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=roswell+presbytarian+church&near=Roswell,+GA&ll=34.020972,-84.363277&iwstate1=dir:to&iwloc=A&f=d&daddr=755+Mimosa+Blvd,+Roswell,+GA+30075

Survivor Dave
10-16-2007, 19:17
Thank you MYST for posting a great picture of Miss Tillie.

Survivor Dave

Lilred
10-16-2007, 19:47
My condolences and prayers to her family. I stayed there this summer on my section hike but missed meeting Tillie, she was away visiting relatives. Neville made us feel right at home and said she would more than likely continue living at the house and running the hostel. I do hope so.

Jester2000
10-16-2007, 20:14
I had the opportunity to stay at Wood's Hole in 2000. An amazing woman, an amazing family, an amazing place.

Godspeed, Tillie.

RLC_FLA
10-16-2007, 20:29
My wife and I ahd the pleasure of staying at Woods Hole and meeting Miss Tillie on our thru in 1989. One of the true highlights of our trip. The trail community will truely miss her.

Ron & Kat

pipesmoke
10-16-2007, 21:05
I hiked through in 04, had breakfast, and spent two days straightening the "wall". Tillie was definitely one of the finest people I met while hiking. She will be remembered forever by the people she touched. Hopefully Neville will continue the tradition.

Krewzer
10-16-2007, 21:59
This is sad. I had the rare privilege to sit at Mrs Tillie Woods table in 2000. I had planned on a quick little visit and breakfast at the hostel (mostly for the breakfast). Would be back on the trail right after breakfast and headed north. Just another note in my journal about a nice place with nice people and on to the next.

It was magic from the get go. A Forest Service guy picked me up on the walk down to the Hole. There was hot water left in the simple solar shower. People kept coming in the driveway to say "Hello!" Aswah came in for a bit on his way to pick up Fossie. It seemed like people were coming by all afternoon, just to speak with Mrs Tillie about something, nothing or just to be neighborly....but nobody was a real neighbor. Just people coming by to vist Mrs. Tillie because they enjoyed her and she made everyone feel like a neighbor.

The deal was, if you stayed at the Hole, you put a few rocks in Tillie's rock wall for stay. I think she had pity on an old gray headed hiker like me and said she didn't need any more rocks for now. And, "not to worry about it."

My plans to for a quick get away were forgotten. Several of us, Rambunny, Lethal Weapon and another hiker who's name slips me for now, just kept sitting at the breakfast table listening, chatting and visiting. Didn't get out of there until noon. Probabably would have sat there all afternoon if it hadn't been for Mrs Tillie's friend and helper who gently prodded us out the door.

I remember noting in the next shelter register that hikers should hike the miles back to Woods Hole and stay with Mrs Tillie. And, warning them they were missing a wonderful opportunity.

What a rare privilege that was to sit for those few hours with this great Lady.

i don't know what it is that motivates and makes people like Mrs Tillie Woods. I feel very small around them, but treasure them above all others.

hopefulhiker
10-16-2007, 22:17
One of the kindest, nicest ladies I have ever met... I spent a long time talking to her in her cabin at Wood's Hole in 05. On the wall was a photograph of the the elks that used to populate that area in Va.. Her husband studied the elks.. and later worked as the secretary of the Interior under Jimmy Carter. The elks are extinct in that area. The cabin was built out of wormy chestnut which is also extinct... The passing of Mrs. Wood marks the end of an era.... She was a remarkable woman.

Survivor Dave
10-17-2007, 15:46
Hello all,

I just trekked back from the funeral of Ms. Tillie. The church was full to the tune of well over 500 folks.
When the Mayor(her son) got up to speak he was very emotional and then turned to stories of laughter with his mom. He had the whole crowd in tears, tears of laughter as he went on. The other two children spoke and kept all of us in joy of her service to the City of Roswell, Ga., and to the AT which she loved dearly.

I am happy to say that when I spoke with Mayor Wood after the service, he said that her grandaughter Nevell will continue on the tradition of her Grandmother and keep Woods Hole Hostel up and running. I am sure that all of the hikers will be glad of that.

There were a few hikers from past and present at the ceremony, and it was good to see them and meet for the first time.

In her honor, I left my bandanna which I used when I passed through Woods Hole Shelter this past February, a printout of the posts from this thread to the family(with the permission of SGT Rock), and flowers on behalf of the whole WhiteBlaze hiking community.

Tillie Wood, you will be missed. Your spirit will live on with all who seek fellowship with the woods and the Appalachian Trail........

Survivor Dave

SGT Rock
10-17-2007, 15:49
Thanks for doing that Dave.

Jan LiteShoe
10-17-2007, 15:54
I was lucky enough to break bread (biscuits) at Mrs. Tille Woods' table in '03. China, nice silverware, napkins, Southern hospitality, hot biscuits, the whole nine yards. Mighty high cotton for a rough, unwashed hiker.
She had the true essence of class - the kind that comes from inside.

Summit
10-17-2007, 16:20
Sorry I missed the opportunity to meet this obviously wonderful lady, Mrs. Tille. I passed Hole In The Woods by many years ago without stopping in. Must have been around 1989-90. From reading all these wonderful experiences, I sincerely wish I had stopped there. :(

digger51
10-18-2007, 01:37
I had the privilege of sharing breakfast at her table in 2001. She was one of the nicest people I met while hiking. My condolences to her family. She will be missed greatly.

Woods Hole
10-18-2007, 06:49
Hello to all,
My name is Neville. You may or may not remember me. I am Mamatillie's grandaughter. I helped her at the cabin. Some of you met me, some of you heard about me, others of you only know of Mamatillie, and the magic she displayed on the Appalachian trail. She was one of the first "trail angels".. she and my granddad. Had it not been for his persistence that Woods Hole been open to the hikers, it may have never been. She fell in love with running the hostel, after his passing (only 2 years into their running it together).. he passed away.
Through running the hostel, she met so many wonderful people. Sometimes, i think she lived for the summers and the memories she had of meeting all the hikers and feeding everyone breakfast. For those who didn't get to meet Mamatillie, she was a great story teller and enjoyed sitting on the front porch of the cabin knitting, crotcheing, or visiting.
I do plan to continue the tradition. My partner, Michael (Driftwood, he hiked in 2005) plan to eventually move to the cabin so that we can continue her legend. For the next few years we will be running the hostel with volunteers... that know mamatillie's traditions well.
I hope that the word spreads rapidly that she had a very peaceful life, she was "ready" to go. I think more than anything she will miss all the wonderful people that she met in her lifetime.
Until then,
Neville

Tin Man
10-18-2007, 09:24
Article on Tillie Wood, may she rest in peace...

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/136130

Jan LiteShoe
10-18-2007, 09:57
Hello to all,
My name is Neville. You may or may not remember me. I am Mamatillie's grandaughter. I helped her at the cabin. Some of you met me, some of you heard about me, others of you only know of Mamatillie, and the magic she displayed on the Appalachian trail. She was one of the first "trail angels".. she and my granddad. Had it not been for his persistence that Woods Hole been open to the hikers, it may have never been. She fell in love with running the hostel, after his passing (only 2 years into their running it together).. he passed away.
Through running the hostel, she met so many wonderful people. Sometimes, i think she lived for the summers and the memories she had of meeting all the hikers and feeding everyone breakfast. For those who didn't get to meet Mamatillie, she was a great story teller and enjoyed sitting on the front porch of the cabin knitting, crotcheing, or visiting.
I do plan to continue the tradition. My partner, Michael (Driftwood, he hiked in 2005) plan to eventually move to the cabin so that we can continue her legend. For the next few years we will be running the hostel with volunteers... that know mamatillie's traditions well.
I hope that the word spreads rapidly that she had a very peaceful life, she was "ready" to go. I think more than anything she will miss all the wonderful people that she met in her lifetime.
Until then,
Neville

This is wonderful news, and in the family tradition.
What a fine legacy.

Skyline
10-18-2007, 10:15
Tillie will be missed by her legions of friends. Our paths crossed only once, at the hostel in 1997, but I will always remember her as a kind lady who had a gentle toughness about her if that makes any sense.

She wouldn't accept money to stay there, only that you do a sort of "work-for-stay." That entailed going into the woods and finding just one rock to add to a stone retaining wall at the edge of the property. It was pretty well built by the time I got there in '97, presumably thanks in part to many such "work-for-stays." How cool.

Tillie and High Pockets, who was helping her that year, are among the best memories I have of the AT.

RIP Ms. Tillie, and I'm really thrilled to read that the good people of Roswell and those who travelled there had a great Celebration of Life in your honor. Equally heartwarming to read that the tradition of Woodshole Hostel will continue on in your tradition.

hacksaw
10-18-2007, 10:44
Hello all,

I just trekked back from the funeral of Ms. Tillie. The church was full to the tune of well over 500 folks.
When the Mayor(her son) got up to speak he was very emotional and then turned to stories of laughter with his mom. He had the whole crowd in tears, tears of laughter as he went on. The other two children spoke and kept all of us in joy of her service to the City of Roswell, Ga., and to the AT which she loved dearly.

I am happy to say that when I spoke with Mayor Wood after the service, he said that her grandaughter Nevell will continue on the tradition of her Grandmother and keep Woods Hole Hostel up and running. I am sure that all of the hikers will be glad of that.

There were a few hikers from past and present at the ceremony, and it was good to see them and meet for the first time.

In her honor, I left my bandanna which I used when I passed through Woods Hole Shelter this past February, a printout of the posts from this thread to the family(with the permission of SGT Rock), and flowers on behalf of the whole WhiteBlaze hiking community.

Tillie Wood, you will be missed. Your spirit will live on with all who seek fellowship with the woods and the Appalachian Trail........

Survivor Dave

Way cool, Dave! Thanks a lot.

Lion King
10-18-2007, 12:17
Cant wait to get to that Woodshole in the sky!

She was and is a wonderful person!!!

Thanks for the Muffins, great hostel and better conversation over the years T, you wont be forgotten.

LK

rafe
10-18-2007, 12:48
Cant wait to get to that Woodshole in the sky!

Feeling suicidal? Be careful what you wish for... :rolleyes:

Survivor Dave
11-18-2007, 12:49
If anyone would like to read more about Ms. Tillie Wood, there is an article on page 18 in the November-December issue of the ATC's AT Journeys Magazine.

SD

hobojoe
02-07-2008, 11:58
Soo sad to hear about the passing of ms. tilly woods. I personaly had a great experience with her and will always have fond memories of her beautiful breakfast. I am elated, though, to hear that the tradition will cary on. I met nevville briefly in '04 and I know she will do a great job.
THANK YOU NEVILLE!!!
Love hobo