PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic VS Down

Waterbuffalo
10-16-2007, 10:51
For years I have used Synthetic bags But I'm thinking about the weight savings of going down someting in the 20-0 degree range since I do most of my hiking in the colder months. What is everyone else using?

rafe
10-16-2007, 10:53
.. Down. ..

doobeedoo, down down...

whitefoot_hp
10-16-2007, 10:54
campmor 20 degree downbag...

Appalachian Tater
10-16-2007, 11:02
The consensus seems to be with down. It comes in different fills with the higher fills, like 800 or 850, being more expensive and warmer for the weight than the 600 or 650. There are several threads on the merits of different brands. Some things to consider are the size, whether it has a half or full zipper, and the accuracy of the temperature rating. Some of the "better" brands are Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, Montbell, Marmot, Nunatak, but there are dozens more.

taildragger
10-16-2007, 11:26
Down all the way, unless you're worried about, or have a tendency to, get wet. If thats the case, learn how to stay dry, if that doesn't work, then stick with a synthetic.

ChinMusic
10-16-2007, 12:03
My fave bag is my 30° Marmot Hydrogen. I just wish it had a full zipper instead of the ¾ zipper.

Mocs123
10-16-2007, 13:06
ChinMusic you could always trade it in for a WM Summerlite!

optimator
10-16-2007, 15:13
MontBell UL SS #2 :banana

txulrich
10-16-2007, 15:37
For years I have used Synthetic bags But I'm thinking about the weight savings of going down someting in the 20-0 degree range since I do most of my hiking in the colder months. What is everyone else using?

I tell all of the parents of my scouts to stick with synthetic because they WILL get it wet. However, most adults (who are not rookies) have learned what it takes to keep their gear dry. If you fall in the later catagory, go for the down.

saimyoji
10-16-2007, 15:46
Down: more comfortable, warmer for weight, smaller, I prefer down.

Get Down Tonite. :banana

gold bond
10-16-2007, 15:48
North Face Blue Kazoo 20 Deg Down Bag. Reasonably priced warm as all get out!!

Cannibal
10-16-2007, 15:50
I use synthetic on the bottom (underquilt for hammock) and down on top. Life is all about balance. :)

rafe
10-16-2007, 15:58
There's no magic to keeping a down bag dry. All it takes is a kitchen size garbage bag used as a liner to the stuff sack.

leeki pole
10-16-2007, 16:08
Down: more comfortable, warmer for weight, smaller, I prefer down.

Get Down Tonite. :banana
Now that's a great idea for a company slogan! KC and the Sundown Bag!;)
Down rocks. I've had both, you can't beat a down bag.

Blissful
10-16-2007, 16:21
Just because someone uses synthetic doesn't mean they are a dunce head and can't keep a down bag dry, guys. So lighten up on your posts, please.

I went with synthetic for peace of mind and glad I did. I was in situations in bad conditions in a sil nylon tent where it was literally raining on us inside and out. Glad for it when our bags were wet and we still stayed warm. And nothing stays dry for long hiking in heavy downpours in your backpack either (everyone had wet stuff in southern VA when we came through. We had some bad rain then.).

My synthetic summer bag weighed only one lb. My 25 degree bag for late in the hike weighed in at 1 lb 13 oz. I am looking forward to a lightweight synthetic winter bag though. Hard to find one.

Synthetic for the AT which has much wetter climate (usually). Down for out west.

CoyoteWhips
10-16-2007, 16:33
Just because someone uses synthetic doesn't mean they are a dunce head and can't keep a down bag dry, guys. So lighten up on your posts, please.

I was reading Ray Jardine's quilt pages last night. He's a big fan of synthetic. Apparently had bad luck with his down quilts.

Mags
10-16-2007, 17:18
NOTE: My opinion does not imply that someone else's opinion is wrong or that they are dumb for holding an opinion different than mine. :D

The last time I used a snythetic bag was in 1996.

Since then, I've used the same down bag on the various hikes I've done, both East and out West. After my hike last year, I finally replaced my down bag. Not bad, 9 yrs of very heavy use. I have NEVER had a problem with a wet down bag (that includes a very wet El Nino year on the AT).

I find down to be warmer, more resilient and longer lasting. Down tends to be lighter for the weight.

As others have suggested, lining a stuff sack with a garbage bag does wonders.

Just my .02.

Phreak
10-16-2007, 17:18
800-850 down

Appalachian Tater
10-16-2007, 17:20
My Marmot down bag is practically waterproof. I have tested it in the shower and the water just rolls off. Fabric treatments have advanced significantly since Mr. Jardine started hiking.

Waterbuffalo
10-16-2007, 17:50
OKay Now I'm gonna throw a wrench into this. I'm a big guy 240# 6ft. Right now I'm using a TNF 20deg Big Fella which is a little big but I like the extra room. I am Leaning towards Down because I keep my gear dry and 12 years ago when I started I was afraid of getting stuff wet so I went with Synthetic.
Who Makes a down bag with a little room?

Appalachian Tater
10-16-2007, 17:52
What size jacket do you wear? I'm 15 or 20 pounds lighter than you are, and an inch or so shorter, but the Marmot Atom, Hydrogen etc. series fits me fine and I don't like being confined.

Waterbuffalo
10-16-2007, 17:55
I wear a TNF XL mountainlight I have real broad shoulders

Appalachian Tater
10-16-2007, 18:03
I wear a TNF XL mountainlight I have real broad shoulders

I wear XL too, really I was thinking more of suit jacket size, I wear 42 or 44.

Their 800 down bags for people up to 6' are 62/58/40 inches at the shoulder/hip/foot. The long bags for people up to 6'4" add 2 inches to each dimension.

http://f06.marmot.com/products/chart.php?cat=bags&subcat=61&sort=i.style_name

So any bag of that size or larger should be fine for you.

You could also consider a quilt.

JAK
10-16-2007, 18:22
I don't have a down bag yet, but I would like to get one. I don't include any down in my clothing system, which is mostly wool with some polyester fleece and a cheap light nylon wind layer. So I would feel safe with a down bag even if things got really wet, because my clothing is well suited for wet winter conditions even if the bag is not. I wouldn't get a down bag so much to save weight for conditions around freezing, where the biggest problems with moisture occur, but more to extend the temperature range down below zero. I guess I am saying I wouldn't get a 20F-30F rated down bag. It would be either a 40F bag for summer, or a 0F or better bag for Fall/Winter/Spring.
For hiking in wet 20F-40F conditions I would go with a 30F rated synthetic, or a Down Bag of the same weight but a better rating. Does that make any sense?

saimyoji
10-16-2007, 18:28
Make sure its dribble proof. :cool:

Waterbuffalo
10-16-2007, 18:31
I wear XL too, really I was thinking more of suit jacket size, I wear 42 or 44.

Their 800 down bags for people up to 6' are 62/58/40 inches at the shoulder/hip/foot. The long bags for people up to 6'4" add 2 inches to each dimension.

http://f06.marmot.com/products/chart.php?cat=bags&subcat=61&sort=i.style_name

So any bag of that size or larger should be fine for you.

You could also consider a quilt.

I'm a 44 and I'm not into the quilt idea

saimyoji
10-16-2007, 18:38
A quick comparison of bags avail. at Campmor.

Campmor 20*: 19 oz 550 fpd $110 2lbs4
Blue Kazoo 20* 23 oz 600 fpd $190 2lbs15
MH Piute 20* 23 oz. 600 fpd $160 2lbs10

Anyone have any experience with the Piute?

Chache
10-16-2007, 18:39
Most of the high end down bags are water proof or as good as. Keep up with the times people.

Dakota Dan
10-16-2007, 20:24
I've got an old down bag that could use some type of moisture proofing. Is there a spray or some sort of washing chemical that can help? I see stuff advertised but would like to get some first had advice. I'm really trying to keep the weight, as well as expense, down so I'll not be getting a new bag.

Jester2000
10-16-2007, 21:05
Down all the way, unless you're worried about, or have a tendency to, get wet.

Sooner or later everyone brings up my incontinence problem.

legeag1
10-16-2007, 22:17
Waterbuffalo - I am 6', 240 and have a barrel chest, size 46. I tested the largest "traditional" (meaning mass-produced) bag I could find, 66" at the shoulder - the North Face Goliath. This is the same size as the largest Western Mountaineering bags. Still not large enough. The only bag I am truely comfortable in is a Stephenson's Warmlite, 76" girth at the shoulders.

hopefulhiker
10-17-2007, 08:36
Definetly Down,,, Check out Western Mountaineering bags.. also you can look at the down blankets or quilts.. I used one of these with an insulated air mattress, very comfortable...

minnesotasmith
10-17-2007, 09:54
Zero degree bag from Amicalola to Kincora, and from Glencliff the rest of the way (including my modified flipflop to pick up the Kent/Hanover section I temporarily skipped over to do NH/ME before winter socked them in). Used a thin (~50 degree) synth summer bag in between. Started 2/14, ended 11/20, with snow off and on from Amicalola to my last day in the Smokies, and again in Baxter (just a bit on Katahdin), and all over the place at elevation in VT. Got my sleeping bag damp when tenting in downpours several times, and in the Biblical deluge I experienced early in PA (despite multiple bagging). Was synth, though, so it dried out fairly easily, and still mostly worked while damp. :)

I washed my sleeping bag about every other hostel stop during my hike.

chicote
10-17-2007, 10:16
WaterBuffalo - check out Montbell SuperStretch series I use a #2 long. You'll need a long with this bag but it moves and expands with you - not confining at all. It's shell is good and I've had similar if not identical wetness factor that Blissful was talking about this year on my thru. Never was the bag too wet for safety. Enjoy the gear search!

DakotaDan- you can look for a NixWax spray on DWR treatment. That should work pretty well. You'll probably first want to wash your bag and get it contaminant free so the DWR adheres as well as it can.

nitewalker
10-17-2007, 17:58
Ems Mtn Lt 0* Down On The Boardwalk Down By The Sea!!!

SGT Rock
10-17-2007, 18:02
Tried it all - I always choose down as #1.

Programbo
10-17-2007, 18:04
I`d chose a good synthetic bag over a cheap down bag any day

bkrownd
10-17-2007, 18:39
I don't have a down bag yet, but I would like to get one.

I'd like to try down as well, mostly to get a bag that compresses smaller. I've always experienced condensation inside my tents and hammocks, though. I'm hoping down doesn't sop up and hold water like a sponge? Usually get a wet spot somewhere on the bag, but hopefully it'll dry out the next night on its own?

shelterbuilder
10-17-2007, 19:20
I'd like to try down as well, mostly to get a bag that compresses smaller. I've always experienced condensation inside my tents and hammocks, though. I'm hoping down doesn't sop up and hold water like a sponge? Usually get a wet spot somewhere on the bag, but hopefully it'll dry out the next night on its own?

If you're getting condensation inside your tent, maybe you need to ventilate more. Don't count on being able to field-dry a down bag; down can hold a surprising amount of water.

Survivor Dave
10-17-2007, 19:28
Back atcha Buffalo,

I use a Mont-Bell #2 UL SS 800 down. I am 5'10" around 215 lbs. I used to be a lot bigger. Restless sleeper. The girth is great because it stretches so much. I started with the Big Agnes System, you know where your pad is the bottom, but found it restraining. There was another hiker on this page that uses the same Mont-Bell. They do make it in long as well for $20 more.
I guess the best way to find out is to find a local dealer. Trust me, it's like sleeping in a cocoon without being confining. It eliminates the cold spaces for sure and has a down elastic corded baffle for your neck inside and head as well. It has an adjustable cord for the bottom foot portion so your legs dont feel confined.
Yes it is down, yes you have to attempt to keep it dry, yes a good waterproof(hardy har har) stuff sack would be great to. www.montbell.com (http://www.montbell.com)

Survivor Dave

OKay Now I'm gonna throw a wrench into this. I'm a big guy 240# 6ft. Right now I'm using a TNF 20deg Big Fella which is a little big but I like the extra room. I am Leaning towards Down because I keep my gear dry and 12 years ago when I started I was afraid of getting stuff wet so I went with Synthetic.

chiefdaddy
10-17-2007, 19:43
ok so this is my view. I use synthetic because it can get wet and with that in mind is my fool proof self drying device. I was at the Ga AT Plumorchard gap shelter in freezing rain after being drenched, about 1/1/07. I dried off in my sleeping bag soaking wet and frozen, it went like this. Warm up wet in the bag- open zipper air out steam, close repeat until dry. Can a down bag do that? I use an REI 15 degree zypher that is about 2lbs or so.

rafe
10-17-2007, 20:02
Can a down bag do that?

Dunno. In 30 yrs of hiking I'd never thought to warm up in that particular manner. ;)

chiefdaddy
10-17-2007, 20:11
so a down bag can not do that? I've never had one.

shelterbuilder
10-17-2007, 20:16

It's my understanding that a down bag that is truly wet (not just damp) needs to be dried out in a dryer, with tennis balls or sneakers added to the load to break up the down clumps. That's an advantage that synthetic bags have over down - you can dry a synthetic bag in the field if you have to.

Appalachian Tater
10-17-2007, 20:19
I wouldn't want to use my body heat to dry out any frozen, wet sleeping bag, synthetic or down, but the scientific principles of heat transfer are the same. The main difference with a down bag is that it clumps and you would have to break up the clumps by hand.

I'm not so sure that a wet synthetic bag does a particularly good job of keeping you warm. The moral is always keep your sleeping bag in a waterproof stuffsack and line or cover your pack and try to keep the contents dry. With a garbage bag liner, your stuff should stay dry even if it falls in water.

I have seen someone dry a wet down bag in the sun and it worked but it took a while and some effort.

Addition:
Sorry, you were drying yourself out, not the bag. Yes, you can do that in a down bag. I know because you can even sleep with wet clothes in your bag and they dry off overnight, and I've done this. The bag is fairly waterproof and the water is vaporized and goes into the air rather than being absorbed by the bag. (Well, some is probably absorbed but I never noticed any).

I too always changed into dry clothes before getting in my bag but I was sometimes still very moist.

The only time I had impending hypothermia I got in that abandoned bus west of the trail and changed from my wet clothes and made hot soup but didn't get into my bag.

rafe
10-17-2007, 20:19

Maybe they can, I just wouldn't know...

I treat my down bags with the respect they deserve. (I own four, the oldest of which is 35+ years old now.) I wouldn't get into a down bag while I was wet, or while wearing wet clothes.

I've employed numerous methods to fend off impending hypothermia, but none like the one you described at Plumorchard gap.

attrekker26
10-17-2007, 20:21
I just bought a $80 Kelty Lightyear 25* synthetic from Campmor. I slept outside last night and it got down to 30* and was fine. I'm taking it camping next weekend. I don't want to goto down yet because of the wetness thing though...

SGT Rock
10-17-2007, 20:55
The wetness thing is overblown. I have used both down and synthetic for years and I choose down anytime I can.

chiefdaddy
10-17-2007, 22:22
lol my bag dried me out in a pinch nothing strange about that, it worked with me wet and dried me out very well. I take great care to keep my bag dry until I need it.

When in the cold and wet you do what you have to to get warm and dry. I trust my bag to dry me out and warm me up. I seem to end up in not so ideal weather :D hmm I seem to do that to myself.

peter_pan
10-18-2007, 09:21
It's my understanding that a down bag that is truly wet (not just damp) needs to be dried out in a dryer, with tennis balls or sneakers added to the load to break up the down clumps. That's an advantage that synthetic bags have over down - you can dry a synthetic bag in the field if you have to.

You can dry down in the field also.( that is the reason some manufactures make one side black)... and for any bag in a front loading dryer on low , tennis balls and sneakers are not needed and just add extra stress on the bag/quilt.

Pan

taildragger
10-18-2007, 10:38
http://www.backpacking.net/gear-reviews/sleeping-bag-review/

This should tell you something about the different down bags and their respective coatings. I'm a little disappointed that feathered friends wasn't mentioned, but I made my decision somewhat based on this article and what others have said.

EWS
10-18-2007, 10:51
Feathered Friends mainly uses commerical fabrics, eVent and Epic, so there are no real secrets about what they're made out of or how well they will work. Their only proprietary fabric is "Flite", 30/40 denier nylon with DWR.

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 10:53

This should tell you something about the different down bags and their respective coatings. I'm a little disappointed that feathered friends wasn't mentioned, but I made my decision somewhat based on this article and what others have said.
And in the end that is what it boils down to. If you decide you can't keep a bag dry you may decide to go synthetic, or if you decide you can keep in dry then you can go down.

Mocs123
10-18-2007, 11:32
And in the end that is what it boils down to. If you decide you can't keep a bag dry you may decide to go synthetic, or if you decide you can keep in dry then you can go down.

I was under the impression that FF Flite and Western Mountaineerings Extreamlite fabrics were both really Pertex Quantam. I could be wrong though

nitewalker
10-19-2007, 21:48
I`d chose a good synthetic bag over a cheap down bag any day

how does that work?:rolleyes: most down bags are not cheap thats for sure..lol

peace, nitewalker

chiefdaddy
10-19-2007, 21:50

peace, nitewalker

lol no joke!

rumbler
10-19-2007, 22:15
Basic hiking principles will keep a down bag dry on anything short of a calamity. Learn how and where to set up a tent and use multiple dry bags for your pack and bag.

My new love is a FF down bag that water basically does not penetrate. I suppose I wouldn't want to swim in it, but it is FAR superior to the down bags I was using just a few years ago. The thing just doesn't allow casual moisture to penetrate to the down.

And down is, imho, far more sumptuous and luxurious to wrap into on those occasions where you really really want to crawl into your bag. Seriously - get a quality bag and you will thank yourself every evening that you hike.

Synthetic is cool for a summer bag when it's basically bug bite prevention. For warmth and comfort, down with the new fabrics as has already been noted is a comprehensibly more enjoyable choice.

Get an exped air mattress to boot and you might as well be checking into an upscale hotel.

nitewalker
10-19-2007, 22:18

just got done reading the bag comparisons and they basically told us what we already know.. all bags leak and get wet.:eek:

i stayed out below bluff mtn last feb 28th it was about 17*. i had my ems mtn lite 0*down bag with sleeping pad and no bag cover at all. we were cowboy camping after a long days haul. well anyway i woke up somewhere during the evening sweating way too much. i spent the next hour or two opening and closing it so that the sweat would evaporate away from the bag. ok yea it was 17* but in my mind i was really not in any danger of getting cold even with this wet down bag. well i ended up just fine and continued hiking for another four days or so....peace out, nitewalker

down is the way to go. always put the bag inside a true plastic type outer trash bag or similar...

rafe
10-20-2007, 09:16
Get an exped air mattress to boot and you might as well be checking into an upscale hotel.

Does it come with a shower and a plush terrycloth towel and those little bars of fragrant soap? Sign me up!!

JAK
10-21-2007, 08:40

peace, nitewalkerI think he meant go big or stay home. Meaning stick with synthetic unless you go to say 700 down or better. There is something to be said for that, though I wouldn't throw a 650 down bag out of my shelter for eating crackers.

skar578
10-21-2007, 11:14
I got the Velocity 35 at EMS. Synthetic, uber light, and very small. Will try to get pictures up later today.

I went with synthetic because i'm a very warm sleeper, and sweat easily. Thats why none of my gear is down. Once you see how small it is, you will be quite surprised. I used it just the other week, and the temperature was maybe ~35-40, and I felt really warm.

EWS
10-21-2007, 11:20
I'm glad that you're please with your purchase.

I went with synthetic because i'm a very warm sleeper, and sweat easily. Thats why none of my gear is down.

This doesn't matter one bit though, and don't know here you came up with it.

whitefoot_hp
10-26-2007, 13:15
why not just use less down and save even more weight, skaar?

Nightwalker
11-26-2007, 04:27
ok so this is my view. I use synthetic because it can get wet and with that in mind is my fool proof self drying device. I was at the Ga AT Plumorchard gap shelter in freezing rain after being drenched, about 1/1/07. I dried off in my sleeping bag soaking wet and frozen, it went like this. Warm up wet in the bag- open zipper air out steam, close repeat until dry. Can a down bag do that? I use an REI 15 degree zypher that is about 2lbs or so.

As a matter of fact, it can. Mine got SOAKED at Abol Bridge in Maine, right between Baxter and the 100 mile. I hung it on a tree to drip dry, then carried it in my pack all day. I wrung-and-hung it while I was setting up for the night. When I got in my bag for the evening, I wore all my clothes and my rain gear. I was very warm on a night of high 30s with that wet bag. The next morning, it was 90% dry, and the wind was blowing. I set it up like a wind sock while I was breaking camp, and slept in it the same way the next night in high 30s and wind. Comfortable again, and the bag was totally dry by the next morning.

Down isn't for sissies, but it's so worth the effort! It's lighter, more durable, and dry-able on the trail. It's also comfortable through a wider range of temps, though I can't prove that one. I'm not the only one who thinks it, though.

Nightwalker
11-26-2007, 04:29

Not true. See my post #64 on the issue. :)

Dakota Dan
11-27-2007, 01:37
I have a bag of each, I prefer the down over the syn. But, I do like my NF Cat's Meow Synthetic for use in rainy weather.

It makes an excellent cloths dryer while I sleep and I don't worry about moisture.

ed bell
11-27-2007, 02:53
The wetness thing is overblown. I have used both down and synthetic for years and I choose down anytime I can.

Basic hiking principles will keep a down bag dry on anything short of a calamity. Learn how and where to set up a tent and use multiple dry bags for your pack and bag.For years I have been told that a down bag needs to be absolutely soaked to render it ineffective. I'm talking dunked in a creek wet. Apart from that, one should not fear some moisture or a bit of saturation on part of their down bag. Having said that, I'd bet that most would find it fairly easy to keep a down bag more than dry enough to stay toasty. Be vigilant, and don't sweat it.

JAK
11-27-2007, 03:09
I think a 3 pound down bag is at least as good as a 3 pound synthetic in cold wet conditions around 30F, and better in extreme cold conditions, like around 0F. But I don't like a 2 pound down bag designed specifically for 30F. In short, I would go with a 3 pound down bag to extend my safety down to 0F, rather than a 2 pound bag to save weight at 30F. Of course it depends on the rest of your clothing and gear also. I like the idea of putting all my down in one package, the sleeping bag, and using wool and fleece for the clothing insulation, along with light wind layers and rain layers/shelter.

envirodiver
11-27-2007, 18:43

Big Agnes makes bags that are a bit roomier. Also, Big Agnes doesn't put insulation in the bottom of the bag. The theory (which I think is sound) is that the insulation in the bottom just gets compressed when you lie on it and provides no heat retention. This makes the bag lighter. Instead they have a pocket in the bag bottom that you slide your pad into. I just used my BA bag for a weeklong trip and this particular feature was GREAT! No sliding around on your pad all night. I roll around a bit during the night and the bag is big enough to turn in and stayed on the pad.

Grampie
11-28-2007, 19:02
After reading all the posts I'm wondering; how many of the folks that posted have thru-hiked? The experience of a thru-hike makes all the difference in the world.:-?

Dakota Dan
11-28-2007, 20:37
After reading all the posts I'm wondering; how many of the folks that posted have thru-hiked? The experience of a thru-hike makes all the difference in the world.:-?

I would say that percentage is probably about the same as the yearly thru-hike completions :D

ed bell
11-28-2007, 23:13
After reading all the posts I'm wondering; how many of the folks that posted have thru-hiked? The experience of a thru-hike makes all the difference in the world.:-?I have not hiked the entire AT.

Mags
11-28-2007, 23:23

I did the "Couch To Fridge" yo-yo this past year...in fuzzy slippers and with a beer in hand. I suggest a genuine naugahyde sleeping bag. Finding genuine Naugas are hard, though....

Tipi Walter
11-28-2007, 23:36

Uh, one 6 month backpacking trip on the AT is just scratching the surface. If there has to be some yardstick in this, the criteria instead should be the lifetime amount of bag nights. If a 40 year old backpacked just those 6 or 7 months on the AT, and never again, I would listen carefully to his recommendations but with a grain of salt.

There are guys out west who basically live out of their backpacks and have been doing so for years. And unlike the usual AT hiker who avoids winter, those guys spend much of their lives setting up tents with snowshoes and crampons in tow. The late Norman Clyde comes to mind. They don't have the luxury of twice weekly resupply and often spend much of their outdoor lives alone.

ed bell
11-29-2007, 00:19
I have not hiked the entire AT.Hell, I haven't even hiked 20% of it.:-? I guess I should just unsubscribe.;)

EWS
11-29-2007, 00:33
I haven't stepped foot on the AT. I have spent more time in the mountains that people who have yo-yoed a couple of times the AT, not to mention bicycle touring with my tent, or time in the jungle. Yeah, I don't know chit.

Tipi Walter
11-29-2007, 00:39
I haven't stepped foot on the AT. I have spent more time in the mountains that people who have yo-yoed a couple of times the AT, not to mention bicycle touring with my tent, or time in the jungle. Yeah, I don't know chit.

Well, we gotta remember this is a white blaze AT site, it's drilled into our heads, but there's alot of backpackers on this site that are backpackers first and foremost, and not necessarily tied into the specialized crowd that backpacks the AT.

It's a good site with alot of information, and alot of that information comes from committed backpackers who've never stepped foot on the AT.

EWS
11-29-2007, 00:44
I know, I was being sarcastic. I find the idol worship some people perform sickly entertaining.

ed bell
11-29-2007, 00:53

After reading all the posts I'm wondering; how many of the folks that posted have thru-hiked? The experience of a thru-hike makes all the difference in the world.:-?How did that winter thru-hike go Gramps? Why choose to dismiss others' advice before providing any of your own?:-? Sounds like the dreaded elitist card. Maybe I'm wrong and I have misunderstood your post.:)

ed bell
11-29-2007, 00:57
It's a good site with alot of information, and alot of that information comes from committed backpackers who've never stepped foot on the AT.Dang it, I tried to say this, but I just came across as a smartass. I'll have to try harder next time.:) Sorry Grampie.:o

Tinker
11-29-2007, 00:57

I'm sure that having thru-hiked the AT makes a lot of difference in some cases. I'm just not sure how that applies here.
Some things you can't replicate on a section hike, like how your feet will stretch out, or how bad shin splints can be, but a person can get a down bag soaked first night out on a week long hike and have the same experience (with the bag) that a thruhiker has.
Personally, I've gotten a down bag damp on several occasions and soaked in the foot section once. Both times I was able to get the bag dried by wearing it or hanging it over a line or bush before the next night. Btw: I have never gotten my bag wet in a hammock.:D

gaga
12-01-2007, 15:41
http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/MAR0573/c3/s18/Marmot-Helium-Sleeping-Bag-15-Degree-Down.html?id=Xt3JAsVX
if you need a down bag this is the one

Tipi Walter
12-01-2007, 15:52
http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/MAR0573/c3/s18/Marmot-Helium-Sleeping-Bag-15-Degree-Down.html?id=Xt3JAsVX

I too would have to recommend the Marmot line of down bags, my recently retired Marmot Couloir zero bag kept me warm on over 80 backpacking trips, and only just lately have I found temps around zero or below to be a problem with it. I've been wanting to upgrade to a WM anyway, but the Marmot people seem to know where to get their down so I've got no reservations.

Ewker
12-01-2007, 15:59

I like my Marmot Helium bag. I got it a few yrs ago when it was a 900 fill down and weighed 1.5 lbs

Summit
12-01-2007, 20:00
I have never had a down bag. I have two synthetics, one a 0 degree, the other a 20 degree and combined with a 4 season tent have had no problems with the 20 degree one down to around 0 degrees, which is about as cold as I care to venture out in. Yeah, I'm sacrificing on the weight. Bulk has never been an issue as both of the above stuff nicely into the bottom sleeping bag compartment of my Gregory McKinley pack.

Whether the down bag is victim to rain or condensation is an issue I don't want to have to deal with. The few times my synth bag has gotten slightly wet, it was a non-issue. As they say, "if it ain't broke . . . don't try and fix it."

wtmntcaretaker
12-01-2007, 23:18
I would like to suggest synthetic. spesefically primaloft insulated. in the east it is so humid that you need to be conserned with dupoint, the moistier the air is holding. that can soke a bag just as well as a little rain. primaloft is very packable and lite. a very good alternative to down

gaga
12-02-2007, 01:55
I would like to suggest synthetic. spesefically primaloft insulated. in the east it is so humid that you need to be conserned with dupoint, the moistier the air is holding. that can soke a bag just as well as a little rain. primaloft is very packable and lite. a very good alternative to down

Pertex Quantum Ripstop (outside) and Pertex Quantum Taffeta (inside). The all-synthetic fabrics allow for worry-less travel through wetter climates, as the material's ability to insulate are only slightly compromised when wet

Pertex 20d Quantum Ripstop provides a soft, durable and >water resistant< shell