PDA

View Full Version : One trash bag = pack cover + rain gear?

TronBlaster
11-18-2003, 01:42
Is it crazy to think that I could use a heavy duty contractor trash bag with holes punched for head and arms as a rain poncho AND pack cover? It would certainly help save weight that could be better used for my Game Boy and three months worth of Maxim magazine.[LEFT]

squirrel bait
11-18-2003, 06:14
In an emergency for a couple days but I bet ya get wet. Noise from the rustling will drive ya nuts while :-? the rain drips down your back.

Rain Man
11-18-2003, 07:45
Is it crazy to think that I could use a heavy duty contractor trash bag with holes punched for head and arms as a rain poncho AND pack cover? [LEFT]

On our August section hike in GA, it rained every day, most times twice a day. Two of us had pack covers, two of us had big black garbage bags. The garbage bags worked pretty well, considering the cost difference!

Rain Man

DebW
11-18-2003, 10:09
For a pack cover, put the garbage bag inside your pack. It will get ripped up quickly if on the outside.

As for raingear, in cold windy conditions above treeline, your safety may depend on quality raingear that keeps you warm and dry. You can skimp in some places in some seasons, but never in the Whites.

11-18-2003, 10:20
If you are going to use a palstic bag for a pack cover you are better off putting it inside your pack. I would also recomende using a biohazard bag from the hospital. The big orange ones for putting sheets are very heavy duty. My wife used one on our thru hike and everything stayed dry and one bag lasted the entire trip. I believe most hospitals would give you one if you plead your case.

WilTaran
11-18-2003, 19:35
Is it crazy to think that I could use a heavy duty contractor trash bag with holes punched for head and arms as a rain poncho AND pack cover? It would certainly help save weight that could be better used for my Game Boy and three months worth of Maxim magazine.[LEFT]

If you want to use one item as both raingear and a pack cover go with a large army poncho. I have one that is more than large enough to cover myself and my pack at the same time. They last forever, and can double as a groundcloth/extra blanket/emergency shelter if you need. Its heavier than a trash bag but not by much.

TronBlaster
11-19-2003, 00:55
If you want to use one item as both raingear and a pack cover go with a large army poncho. I have one that is more than large enough to cover myself and my pack at the same time. They last forever, and can double as a groundcloth/extra blanket/emergency shelter if you need. Its heavier than a trash bag but not by much.

I'm intrigued. Where should I get this extra large army poncho? Should I ask Bush or go to Sunny Surplus?

WilTaran
11-19-2003, 14:44
I'm intrigued. Where should I get this extra large army poncho? Should I ask Bush or go to Sunny Surplus?

An Army Surplus store should be easy enough to find. Joining the army at this point in our nations history may not be wise.