PDA

View Full Version : GSX nylon zip off guide pants

flagator
10-16-2007, 13:49
Hey all. I bought this pair of pants today at Gander Mountain. It was kind of an impulse purchase, and a long drive to get there. I have seen a pair of mountain hardwear zipoffs before and they seem somewhat the same, but before i rip off all the tags and everything I wanted to make sure they werent terrible. I have been unable to find anyone mention GSX brand anywhere on this site, so that worries me a bit. they were 50 bucks, so if they arent that great i'd like to bring them back and add 40 bucks for the mountain hardwear pair, any thoughts?? Thanks!!

Appalachian Tater
10-16-2007, 14:15
That's one of their store brands. Turn them inside-out and look at how well the seams are stitched.

They usually put their own brands on sale really cheap and for the same price you can get other brands on sale on the internet--do a search for "convertible pants" or "zip-off pants".

flagator
10-16-2007, 15:52
so are you saying they are worth the money or not?

The Cheat
10-16-2007, 16:18

I couldn't find an online description for them. Do you have a link? I have 2 pairof :http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39171843&memberId=12500226 and like them alot.

Appalachian Tater
10-16-2007, 17:17

I've never seen them but have a fleece jacket I got there for $9 that was well made. It sounds like a deluxe store brand because they have much cheaper store brands there, they also had convertible pants at the time for the same price as the jacket but they didn't fit me well.

Turn them inside out and look at the quality of the construction to see if they are worth what you can get a pair of "famous brand" pants on sale for. Are they double-stiched? How well do they fit when you're moving? Is the waistband good with a pack? Do the zippers work well? Do the pockets function as you want as far as number, size, closure? For comparison, look at Sierra Trading Post, REI, and Campmor online. You can definitely pick up Columbia or LL Bean for around that price. Google product search the particular pair of Mountain Hardware pants you like to see what you can get them for.

Lately I've been in places like Daffy's, Filenes, and T.J. Maxx, and today Century 21. Even the name brands are hit & miss as far as quality, you just have to look at the clothing to make sure everything is sewn right, that the patterns match, that the zippers work smoothly. Even with name brands I turn them inside out to look for problems. I tried on a wind jacket the other day (Underarmor) and the zipper derailed. The Patagonia stuff seems to all be well-made, I was there today. Marmot seems to be well-made and Arc'Teryx as well.