PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Rescued

Newb
10-17-2007, 07:12
This hiker who was rescued near Vail did a few things right and a few things wrong. He's lucky he was found. Make sure to read the final line of this article...

http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=4658332&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Appalachian Tater
10-17-2007, 11:00
I noticed they said he was "loosing circulation in his feet". I suppose in fifty years that will be the accepted way to spell "losing" at the rate we're going.

envirodiver
10-17-2007, 11:07
You might think that with all the stuff they taught him on TV, they would have mentioned to stay away from cotton clothing.

It did seem the guy did some things right though to survive.

Overpass
10-17-2007, 11:12
I noticed they said he was "loosing circulation in his feet". I suppose in fifty years that will be the accepted way to spell "losing" at the rate we're going.

Heck, "chaffing" is already the accepted way to spell chafing, at least here on WB. :D

dixicritter
10-17-2007, 11:17
Come on guys, hard for spell checkers to pick up on words that aren't spelled wrong. ;)

(I just checked chaffing is a real word, by the way. The Google toolbar spell checker doesn't mark it as misspelled.)

Creek Dancer
10-17-2007, 11:22
"Chaffing" and "chafing" are different words. "Chaffing" means to make fun of in a nice way. "Chafing" has the same meaning as rubbing.

Appalachian Tater
10-17-2007, 11:23
I dont' have the Google toolbar spell checker, but Google itself politely corrects my spelling all the time. What aggravates me is having to use quotes when it thinks it knows what I meant but is wrong! Google itself does correct "chaffing". It also says there are almost 200 incidents of the word on WhiteBlaze: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=%22chaffing%22+site%3Awhiteblaze.net&btnG=Search

dixicritter
10-17-2007, 11:23
Yes I know, but not everyone is an English major.

Overpass
10-17-2007, 11:33
Come on guys, hard for spell checkers to pick up on words that aren't spelled wrong. ;)

(I just checked chaffing is a real word, by the way. The Google toolbar spell checker doesn't mark it as misspelled.)

I don't think it's just a matter of knowing how to spell. "Chaffing" just looks wrong. A word w/those 2 "f"'s would be pronounced "chaff ing", which rhymes with "laughing". Do the ppl who mis-spell it also pronounce it like that?

Appalachian Tater
10-17-2007, 11:39
That is the way you pronounce it. I wonder how the people who write "loose" instead of "lose" and "looser" instead of "loser" pronounce the words.

Overpass
10-17-2007, 11:45
That is the way you pronounce it. I wonder how the people who write "loose" instead of "lose" and "looser" instead of "loser" pronounce the words.

Wait, what? They pronounce "chaffing" like it rhymes with "laughing"?? I've never, ever heard it said this way.

"Chafing" roughly rhymes with "chasing". Um, at least in my part of the world...

Cannibal
10-17-2007, 11:54
The spelling of words changes contantly over time. I certainly don't see it as something to get worked-up about. FWIW, abbreviations like "FWIW" are having a much more damning effect on the english language; JMO. Oh, and the lack of proper punctuation like not using a capital "E" when spelling english.

But, I guess if he would have had a pocket dictionary he would have had some great tinder material to help build a fire. :D

Appalachian Tater
10-17-2007, 11:57
The spelling of words changes contantly over time. I certainly don't see it as something to get worked-up about. FWIW, abbreviations like "FWIW" are having a much more damning effect on the english language; JMO. Oh, and the lack of proper punctuation like not using a capital "E" when spelling english.

But, I guess if he would have had a pocket dictionary he would have had some great tinder material to help build a fire. :D

I don't have a problem with spelling changing, I find it interesting. But a network news source shouldn't be leading the way. Neither should the White House--a couple of weeks ago there was an "it's" instead of an "its" on the homepage of www.whitehouse.gov but I see it has been corrected now.

Cannibal
10-17-2007, 12:00
Yep, that's a lousy editor!

cavedive2
10-17-2007, 12:09
I would hate that someone reading this post who can't spell very good would stop posting at all because of this thread and because them being made fun of. I myself can't spell very good but I won't let that bother me but some might. For the most part a spell like it sounds and all to often it maybe wrong. So why dont we just drop the spelling class and look at the real part of this post.

RadioFreq
10-17-2007, 12:11
Pray that Mathiewski never runs one of his e-mails through Google spell checker.

It would probably bring the entire internet crashing down! :eek: :D

Appalachian Tater
10-17-2007, 12:13
ef u speld lak id sownz id wud lug lik thiz

ma b

Monello
10-17-2007, 12:43
Can you raed tihs?
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was
rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a
rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr
the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit
and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses
and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the
huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a
wlohe. Azanmig huh?
yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Monello

Mags
10-17-2007, 12:55
Talk about thread drift. An SAR story becomes a treatise on the proper use of English. :)

http://www.politicsforum.org/images/flame_warriors/flame_30.php

It ain't good... :D

dixicritter
10-17-2007, 13:03
Talk about thread drift. An SAR story becomes a treatise on the proper use of English. :)

http://www.politicsforum.org/images/flame_warriors/flame_30.php

It ain't good... :D

I'm betting no one wanted to say the guy really should've just come to WhiteBlaze.net to get his advice instead of relying completely on those TV survival shows... ;)

mudhead
10-17-2007, 14:56
Surly you chaff.

Newb
10-17-2007, 15:10

I made a comment about that to my coworker here this morning. The whole "lose"/"loose" thing drives me up the freaking wall. How unprofessional does that look?

Newb
10-17-2007, 15:12
I would hate that someone reading this post who can't spell very good would stop posting at all because of this thread and because them being made fun of. I myself can't spell very good but I won't let that bother me but some might. For the most part a spell like it sounds and all to often it maybe wrong. So why dont we just drop the spelling class and look at the real part of this post.

It's "WELL"...as in "can't spell very WELL". :cool:

There. now we're off spelling and on to grammar.

The whole point of this thread was that the fellow in question learned to hate cotton.

txulrich
10-17-2007, 15:14
chafe: to rub, etc
chafer: flying scarab beetle
chaff: strips of metal to obstruct radar, seed coverings from threshing
chaffer: haggle or bandy words
chaffinch: European songbird
chafing dish: cooking pan used as a hot plate

Those are the definitions that pocket dictionary brings up on my PDA with chaf as input. All you wordsmiths out there, how many can you use in a sentence????

leeki pole
10-17-2007, 15:48
chafe: to rub, etc
chafer: flying scarab beetle
chaff: strips of metal to obstruct radar, seed coverings from threshing
chaffer: haggle or bandy words
chaffinch: European songbird
chafing dish: cooking pan used as a hot plate

Those are the definitions that pocket dictionary brings up on my PDA with chaf as input. All you wordsmiths out there, how many can you use in a sentence????
After my cotton shorts caused a serious chafe while I was searching for the chaffinch and chafer I heard in the woods, an F-18 popped chaff because of the SAM's on the hilltop; luckily, I was able to avoid the chaff but fell into my campfire where steak was cooking in my chafing dish and I uttered chaffer as my shorts caught fire.

Appalachian Tater
10-17-2007, 15:52

The whole point of this thread was that the fellow in question learned to hate cotton.

If hope that's not the only thing he learned.

Appalachian Tater
10-17-2007, 15:54

If hope that's not the only thing he learned.

I made a comment about that to my coworker here this morning. The whole "lose"/"loose" thing drives me up the freaking wall. How unprofessional does that look?

Yes, it's pretty freakin' unprofessional. It is on the verge of displacing its/it's as my pet peeve. It's even worse when somebody calls somebody a "looser". Gee whiz.

atraildreamer
10-17-2007, 15:54
http://www.latech.edu/tech/liberal-arts/geography/courses/spellchecker.htm

A Little Poem Regarding Computer Spell Checkers...
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Summit
10-17-2007, 16:06
All the more reason one should have a smartphone in the wilderness so that if this unfortunate person had, he could have visited Whiteblaze.net and axed (yep, that's how they say it around here! :p) for help/suggestions. He'll probably never wear anything but UnderArmour again in his life! :D

Summit
10-17-2007, 16:09
chafing dish: cooking pan used as a hot plateBy an earlier definition, that should also then be referred to as a "rubbing dish," possibly as in "I Dream Of Genie!" :D :p

Jack Tarlin
10-17-2007, 17:25
I couldn't help but notice in the article that it said that when he eventually decided to hike out, he went "the wrong way."

This would sem to indicate the lack of map, compass, or the ability to use them correctly.

Stories like this are instructive, especially as a way to reply to the folks who come here half a dozen times a year and insist that maps and navigation skills aren't necessary on the A.T.

Truth is, these tools are necessary anytime you're in the backcountry.