PDA

View Full Version : new to this..got a basic question as of NOW!!

garth
10-17-2007, 07:58
hello....I was going to thru hike back in 97 and as you know things happen...I now am going to section hike the at starting this spring...I have most of my gear...I was wondering how in shape one needs to be...I am 43 and 45lbs over weight....could I manage without getting in better shape? I will start in Ga. can take up to 13 days off in a row....I have no clue how far that will take me....I plan on having no more than 40 lbs in my back....(i weight 245lbs) NOW the real question! ;) I do have a 50 lb weight vest...i was thinking that if I walkd around in my subdivision for a while would that get me n the shape I need to be in....or is backpacking in the smokies a whole lot different? thanks in advance...garth

EWS
10-17-2007, 08:04
Every bit helps. If walking around your neighborhood in your weight vest is what you have at your disposal now, do it, but try to walk in the grass to take it easy on your knees.

shelterbuilder
10-17-2007, 08:23
Every bit helps. If walking around your neighborhood in your weight vest is what you have at your disposal now, do it, but try to walk in the grass to take it easy on your knees.

Walking (with or without weights) is the best way to get used to walking!!! Cycling is a close second, as it is low-impact (better for older knees than higher-impact stuff).

Between now and Springtime, try to cut back on your food intake - nothing major, just make your portions a little smaller. (Fill up on water - most of us don't drink enough of the stuff!)

Yes, you could manage a 2 week hike without getting into shape beforehand, but it will be easier (and lots more fun) if you are able to train a bit before you hit the trail.:)

Bootstrap
10-17-2007, 08:27
Use trekking poles too, that will also help with your knees.

The Smokies will be different in several ways - the terrain will be less even, you'll have more ups and downs, and you'll be doing this for more hours in the day.

I'm not a doctor, and I have no idea what shape you are in besides your weight, so I can't give any specific advice. But the better shape you can get into, the better off you'll be. Conversely, if you aren't in good shape, you don't have to do a lot of miles, and you can keep your backpack as light as possible.

Jonathan

hopefulhiker
10-17-2007, 08:30
I started out in 05 seriously overweight and middle age.. It was very hard but when I got to Damascus I was pretty much in shape.. Take poles, knee braces and lots of ibuprophren.. And getting in shape before hand will make the trip more enjoyable..

Daddy Longlegs
10-17-2007, 08:34
I agree with shelterbuilder if you start now the trail will be more enjoyable. People say that the trail will get you into shape but since you are section hiking then it really does not work for you. But start walking in your neighborhood and build yourself up to 45 minutes adding some good hills along the way. All it takes is 3 times a week. Also like shelterbuilder said drink more water and cut back on coke. Then on a weekend hike a trail for half the day (or all day). Change your eating habits and that can be done just by eating alittle less or just changing a few items of what you eat. Just by doing alittle you will start dropping pounds and you will feel better. It is a life style change that your body will thank you for! Have fun!

Newb
10-17-2007, 08:47
Let me take this a step further for you. If you can get access to a gym, even if only on the weekends, try to get time on a stair climber or on an inclined walker.

Wear the the shoes you plan to hike in..make sure they fit like you want them to fit.

40 pounds of pack weight is a lot. I bet you can cut 5 pounds.

dessertrat
10-17-2007, 10:26
There is never anything wrong with getting in shape ahead of time, but nothing can truly get you in shape for it but doing it. That being said, that means you can expect to slowly get into shape over two or three weeks of hiking, which will be slow in terms of daily mileage. Which means you will just be getting in really good shape when you have to pack up and go home. You can expect to lose at least a pound a day, though, during that 13 days you have at your disposal.

I would say getting rid of that extra weight is important to do in advance. Sorry to belabor the obvious.

Mags
10-17-2007, 10:43
I suggest you read this excellent article on Phyiscal Prep for a hike. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425)

You could go slow and get in shape while on trail, but I think if you get in shape before the hike, you will find your hike much more enjoyable.

Good luck..and have fun!

envirodiver
10-17-2007, 11:00
Not having any idea what kind of excercise or other physical activity you currently participate in. It would not be a bad idea to get a physical and tell your Dr. your plans. The woods is not a great place to have a heart attack and some of the stretches will definitly get your heart rate up.

Appalachian Tater
10-17-2007, 11:03
Not having any idea what kind of excercise or other physical activity you currently participate in. It would not be a bad idea to get a physical and tell your Dr. your plans. The woods is not a great place to have a heart attack and some of the stretches will definitly get your heart rate up.

That is excellent advice.

And don't worry, there are plenty of us 40+ overweight hikers running around loose.

soulrebel
10-17-2007, 11:07
less gear, more beer.

Jan LiteShoe
10-17-2007, 11:08
One of the best exercises and trainings a person can do, in my experience, is walk around with their fully loaded pack. That taught me so much - how to adjust the straps, how to load it, where to best carry my water and snacks, how weight affects my feet and how to deal with thatetc.

Before you know it, you've not only learned about your pack but have adapted to weight-bearing exercise.

Sure, you can start at Springer and rate yourself to a very slow 5-8 miles a day spread over 8 or 9 hours, taking it easy on your all-important, essential-to-hiking joints and tendons. Few have that discipline once out in the woods, maybe you do. You'll feel the tug of town resupply, or it will be hard to watch new friends move on to further camp sites. You WILL feel the tug, and be tempted to overdo (trust me on this one ...). Be prepared to factor that into your equation of "Can I go hike out of shape?"

Good luck, and I wish it was me making plans to hike from Springer!

Survivor Dave
10-17-2007, 11:17
Hello Garth,

About a year and a half ago I was seriously out of shape. around 300 lbs. or so at 5'10" tall.

I wanted to start out with extra weight and lose the tonage as fast as as I could. Not a good idea. I suggest you start off slow and follow what a majority of the folks on this thread have to say. Trust me, it comes off like a stick of butter over a campfire. We are about the same age I think, and it is a bit harder to stay in shape like when we were in high school.

Diet is important as well. Protiens mostly during the day and carbs early. Drinking a good bit of water is a plus. I was fooled in the misconception that diet soda is good for you. Not really, it makes you feel bloated and not full. Smaller meals about 5 times a day works for me. It's tough at the beginning, but you'll get used to it. It's also OK to eat your favorite foods in moderation. If you deny yourself the fun stuff every once in a while, you get frustrated and throw your hands up.

Find a place to start walking and excercising around your neighborhood if possible.

The gym recommendation is better. It forces you to get up and get out of the house.

Good luck and keep on keepin' on.

Survivor Dave

Lilred
10-17-2007, 11:38
I section hike and am a good deal overweight. The first couple of weeks are the hardest. Take it slow and don't overdo the mileage. Only 13 days will not get you in shape. It takes me a good three weeks before I begin to feel the difference, but I try to go out for 4-5 weeks at a time. Is there a high school football field where you live? If so, walk up and down the stairs of the bleachers with a full pack and that will give you a good idea on how the climbing will be in Georgia, only the climbing will continue for miles in some places.

scope
10-17-2007, 12:01
less gear, more beer.

Ah, I was beginning to think I was the only one out there with this philosophy! Now if I can just get Dogfish to put there stuff in cans!

scope
10-17-2007, 12:04

Good advice about walking in grass, not only because it should be easier on your knees, but also because walking on uneven ground will help build up your ankle strength and get you used to what you will be walking on.

Marta
10-17-2007, 12:25
IMO, one of the biggest challenges you'll face when you attempt a thru-hike is avoiding injury. I've read that you can build quite a lot of strength in your muscles in a matter of weeks, but that you're looking at 6 months or more to build up your harder tissues. (There are always quite a few spry young hikers who end up put off the Trail by stress fractures.) I'm with the majority of the previous posters in favoring:
1) Pre-Hike walking. Before starting my hike in 2006, I walked at least an hour a day, plus longer weekend hikes.
2) Reducing pack weight. The weekend hikes were often short backpacking trips, so I had my gear figured out and the pack weight reduced before I started the big Hike.
3) Reducing body weight. You'll probably lose weight while hiking, but every extra pound just makes hiking that much harder.

The sooner you start all of the above, and the more faithful you are in executing the program, the greater the opportunity you have to get your feet, ankles, knees, hips, etc. strong and ready for day-in, day-out hiking next year.

Good luck!

jesse
10-17-2007, 12:29
I was where you were 3-4 years ago. At 49 I was about 40lbs overweight, not in good shape. About that time I did one of my first backpacking trips on the AT. My son and I hiked from Unicoi Gap to the Blue Mountian Shelter on New Years Eve. I was carring at least 40 lbs. I had a huge coleman one burner stove, a lantern, you name it if it was on the shelf at Wal-mart, I had it in my 92 oz. pack. The trip is about a 1,000 ft altitude gain in 2.2 miles, I barley made it.

Shortly after that I had my first annual physical in a long time. The Dr told me I had to lower my Cholertrol. The choice was to diet and exersice, or go on medication. I began walking every morning, and radically changed my eating habits, less red meat, and sweets, more raw vegatables and fruit. I lost about 30 lbs, and feel much better.

After dicovering Whiteblaze and reading about lite-weight gear, I was able to significantly lower my pack weight. And now backpacking is much more fun.

My .02 worth: Begin slowly and get your body healthy, and pemanently adjust your lifestyle to maintain your health. Then start training for hiking/backpacking. I would not reccommend the 50 lb vest. Just start walking, and eating healthy. I think training with a heavy pack, greatly increases your chance of injury, while giving only marginal benefit.

Start doing short weekend trips in your area. People on this site can give good reccomendations for hikes in your area. Then you will know when you are ready. Good luck

rafe
10-17-2007, 12:31
IMO, one of the biggest challenges you'll face when you attempt a thru-hike is avoiding injury.

I agree. And one component of that is to take it slow. Listen to your body. Many injuries occur because folks push too hard and continue to walk when they're tired. Also, recognize that your speed while hiking will depend on many factors -- the terrain, the weather, one's own physical condition. Don't expect or assume that you'll be able to make X miles on any given day. It doesn't work like that.

SGT Rock
10-17-2007, 12:39
hello....I was going to thru hike back in 97 and as you know things happen...I now am going to section hike the at starting this spring...I have most of my gear...I was wondering how in shape one needs to be...At least able to walk under your own power. That said, being in some sort of shape before starting is probably a good idea. Think of it this way:

If you are working out at home and can only do 15 minutes today, then you do it and quit. You can take a shower, rest, and do it again later. You have the luxury of starting small and building up at your own pace. You can clean up, change your program based on needs, and recover as many days as you need between work outs. That is for now...

If you wait until you are on the trail - you are stuck with one work out plan. If your day sucks you only have two options: Quit or suck it up.

I am 43 and 45lbs over weight....could I manage without getting in better shape?
I see people out there all the time that are overweight. That said, being closer to an ideal weight is a good idea. If you weigh 45 pounds over weight and have a 45 pound pack - then you are carrying an extra 90 pounds over what your body needs to be carrying. That means more effort expended, more stress on your body, and overall less enjoyment.

I will start in Ga. can take up to 13 days off in a row....I have no clue how far that will take me....I plan on having no more than 40 lbs in my back....(i weight 245lbs) NOW the real question! ;) I do have a 50 lb weight vest...i was thinking that if I walkd around in my subdivision for a while would that get me n the shape I need to be in....or is backpacking in the smokies a whole lot different? thanks in advance...garthDo it. Wear it whenever you can. One good work out I had was a year in Iraq wearing body armor. When I finally got back to the states and got my first trip in the mountains my pack weighed less than my body armor did and it felt great to just carry 25 pounds.

40 pounds on your back isn't bad - you could probably go lower than that, but you have to figure out what works for you. If you train with 50, start with 40, and one week into your hike cut that down to 30-35, then you are probably going to be a happy camper.

Good luck.

Bootstrap
10-17-2007, 12:44
For what it's worth, I've lost a little more than 4 inches off my waist since Christmas, and here's what's worked for me. (I have another 2 inches to go still before I'm done ...)

Exercise outside in nice places 3 times a week. Don't do it just to lose weight, and don't do it in places that you don't like - I can't persuade myself to do it just because I "should", but I'm more than happy to exercise if it gets me outside. Exercise long enough to enjoy it.

Make breakfast and lunch automatic. Breakfast is oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts for me, just like on the trail. Rolled oats, not instant. Lunch is a salad with meat - I get mixed greens and add to them. Plan for reasonable snacks in between meals so you don't eat the bad stuff or get too hungry. If you get in good habits for breakfast, lunch, and snacks, and don't pig out too bad for supper, you'll probably lose weight.

Your mileage may vary, but this works for me.

Jonathan

HIKER7s
10-17-2007, 12:47
Are you planning to do a shakedown? Either way, you should. Try to do a 4-6 day shakedown as a pre-cursor to your 1st 13 day section trek. What you pack on your shakedown ...your going to find stuff you didnt need or stuff you took too much of. Doing a shakedown will definitely refit your pack contents even before you leave on your real deal. Even if you dont change much in the way of what you'll be taking, you will have an easier time of it going through the routine things (shelter, cooking,filter, etc.)

stumpy
10-17-2007, 13:03
I can tell you that over the past year I have lost about 40 lbs. The first time that I have hiked since the weight loss was last week, and it was great. I could do ok when I was over weight, but the toll on my body would catch up with me after about a day or two, and I would really slow down.

Last week was great. I did more miles per day that I ever have before and I was really ready to go each morning.

Being outside has always been great, but last week was the most enjoyment that I have gotten from a hike since I was kid.

If you start walking the neighborhood, or at the gym, or at a ball field, you will get your legs into shape. An added bonus will probably be some weight loss as well.:banana

dessertrat
10-17-2007, 13:11
less gear, more beer.

There is that approach, too. If you drink enough bourbon in the evening, you won't mind laying down with just a wool army blanket and a rain poncho, Earl Shaffer style. That cuts a lot of pack weight. No tent, no sleeping bag, no stove. Just make fires in the fire pits. You'll only be carrying 10 or 15 extra pounds!