PDA

View Full Version : Burn Ban in NoVa

ChimneySpring
10-17-2007, 08:44
All,

Two counties along the Rollercoaster area have initiated bans on all outdoor fires until further notice. The ban covers any fires using wood, etc. so stove cooking isn't an issue. But, if you know of or see anyone who's inclined to want a campfire, please pass this along.

Thanks,

CSpring

whitefoot_hp
10-24-2007, 11:32
are the burn bans actually to be heeded? i never have.

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 11:34
if you don't mind paying heavy fines and possible jail time

rafe
10-24-2007, 11:35
are the burn bans actually to be heeded? i never have.

At Blackburn Center this summer, there was plenty of firewood. But the caretakers (Redwing and Hopeful) were pretty specific about not allowing us to use the stuff for a campfire. The burn ban was already in effect back in late August.

Furlough
10-24-2007, 11:38
Given the overall dryness out there, I can not understand why anyone with any amount of common sense would choose to ignore these bans.

Furlough

whitefoot_hp
10-24-2007, 12:09
possibly because a camp fire can be easily controlled

River Runner
10-24-2007, 16:42
And can just as easily get out of control. An ember pops out, a breeze blows, and when things are really dry it doesn't take much.

Furlough
10-24-2007, 17:25
Back in 1980-1982 I worked fighting forest fires for the Forest Service in the Virginia/West Virginia area stationed out of a facility near Clifton Forge, Va. The worst fire we fought was caused by a stray ember from a small campfire - that was a big fire and I recall after awhile they enlisted, among others, cadets from VMI to help fight it - rains finally came and saved the day - otherwise no telling how wide spread that one would have been. The second worst fire was started over the line in WV by arsonists/hunters as a means to drive deer down into the hollows for easier hunting.

So no matter how skilled one is or how small the camp fire is it just makes plain old good sense to obey the bans. The rains will come and the bans will be lifted until then why chance it?

Furlough

ChimneySpring
10-25-2007, 09:54

Spoken by someone who doesn't stand to risk anything when your "easily controlled" campfire goes amok? Nice.

Alligator
10-25-2007, 10:03
A couple of inches of rain hit parts of Virginia yesterday.

Wonder
10-25-2007, 10:39
I thought that the ban was state wide????

ChimneySpring
10-25-2007, 12:24
The statewide ban was enacted by the Gov. about 8 hours after I posted the localized ban.

We've had 1.3 inches since Tuesday night according to my rain gauge, and it's supposed to be intermittent rain in NoVa thru Saturday. Prospects are for up to 4 inches in some areas. Generally, with patterns being what they are with this front, we usually get about 25% more rain here on the ridge than in DC.

It's damp, foggy, chilly today. Hurray!

Furlough
10-25-2007, 12:40
The statewide ban was enacted by the Gov. about 8 hours after I posted the localized ban.

We've had 1.3 inches since Tuesday night according to my rain gauge, and it's supposed to be intermittent rain in NoVa thru Saturday. Prospects are for up to 4 inches in some areas. Generally, with patterns being what they are with this front, we usually get about 25% more rain here on the ridge than in DC.

It's damp, foggy, chilly today. Hurray!

Down here in Dale City (about 30 miles South of DC) we too had received about 1.3 inches as of about 0600 this am. Drizzly and wet now - hope it keeps coming as this area is 10-12" behind normal at this point.

Blissful
10-25-2007, 14:17
Yes, this is great news as they were really worried about forest fires. We've had two inches thus far. Love those stalled fronts. :)

RockyBob
10-25-2007, 15:00
We need this to last for about another 3 months. Especially in the greater Charlotte NC area.