PDA

View Full Version : Camp Fires Banned in NC Nat'l Forests!

Summit
10-17-2007, 14:49
In addition to the low water conditions on the Southern AT, campfires are banned in North Carolina's National Forests:

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/press/nfsnc_fireban.pdf

As I usually plan my hikes based on near full moons, I look forward to "barking at the moon" instead of campfire gazing this coming trip in a few days! :)

Tha Wookie
10-17-2007, 14:54
I had one last week.

Made some eggs and coffee.

good coffee too

I poured about two gallons of water on it. I didn't know I was breaking the law.

SGT Rock
10-17-2007, 15:04
I was thinking of going up to Max Patch this weekend - so does this mean no bonfire?

Newb
10-17-2007, 15:08
Just don't invite Jester to build your Max Patch bonfire...he'll create a controversy.

Summit
10-17-2007, 15:52
I was thinking of going up to Max Patch this weekend - so does this mean no bonfire?Not even a candle in the wind! :p

envirodiver
10-17-2007, 17:24
From reading the press release it appears that Zip stoves and alcohol stoves are also banned. All they say is that backcountry campers may use stoves or grills that are fueled by liquid petroleum.

SGT Rock
10-17-2007, 17:44
It also says you can still use fires in established developed campgrounds.

Tha Wookie
10-17-2007, 17:47
It also says you can still use fires in established developed campgrounds.

yeah I thought there was still some vagueness in the statement. It does say "in rings"

SGT Rock
10-17-2007, 17:52
So is a shelter fire ring a "developed recreational area"?

It also looks like we are going to get some rain around the Max Patch area Thursday and Friday.

Summit
10-17-2007, 18:22
So is a shelter fire ring a "developed recreational area"?I don't mean to be a negative fun-killer here, as my week-long hike starts this Saturday, but I take "developed recreation areas, such as campgrounds or picnic areas" to not include backcountry campsites / shelters.

Give them a call (number on the bulletin). I don't intend to start a fire on this hike but if you come and camp close by and start one I'll be happy to share your company and fire! :) :p

FatMan
10-17-2007, 18:30
Same here in Georgia.

http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/press/20071004-campfire-restrictions-news.htm

map man
10-17-2007, 20:50
When I hiked over Labor Day weekend this year on the Superior Hiking Trail there was a campfire ban everywhere -- national forests, state parks, everywhere -- in the arrowhead region of northern Minnesota because of the drought conditions (luckily they have since had a good amount of rain and the ban was lifted a few days after I was there). But two of the three nights I was on the trail people were building campfires anyway in my vicinity. And you could not miss seeing the prominent campfire ban signs at all the trailheads. The same thing happened when I hiked in late May. There was a campfire ban -- there was actually a raging forest fire just 30 miles north of the trail -- but people were ignoring it. On Memorial Day weekend Saturday on a day when it had drizzled a little I asked a group of fire building college kids if they knew about the ban and they assured me it had "just been lifted" because of the rain. When I got off the trail a day and a half later I found out that was not true -- ban still in effect.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that a certain percentage of hikers/campers think building fires is an inalienable right and an essential part of the camping experience. A lot of forest fires have been started over the years by people with that mindset. I wish folks would think this through more than they do and try to do the smart thing -- refrain from building campfires when conditions are so dry.

Summit
10-18-2007, 09:36
I agree with you "map man!" It seems the mindset in our society about ALL things is the "Bill Clinton mentality" - "I'm not guilty of anything until I get caught." :eek: That or, "well, everybody else is doing it, so why shouldn't I?" That explains the popularity of warez, Napster, and P2P, but that's another story.

The question of whether or not to build a fire in the backcountry, given the dry conditions, and yes, the law saying "don't do it," should not involve weighing the probability of getting caught, but rather what is the right thing to do? I would hope that all or most of us here dearly love nature and the natural beauty of God's creation, and would not want to harm her (nature).

Furthermore, a day or two of even hard rain does not mean the ban vanishes. The ban is in effect until Dec. 15th unless changed by another bulletin. So if you're going out fall hiking, do as I'm going to do . . . forget the campfire and "bark at the moon!" :D

dixicritter
10-18-2007, 10:01
Furthermore, a day or two of even hard rain does not mean the ban vanishes. The ban is in effect until Dec. 15th unless changed by another bulletin. So if you're going out fall hiking, do as I'm going to do . . . forget the campfire and "bark at the moon!" :D

Where did you get the date Dec. 15th? Everything I read said "Until further notice", even on the original ban announcement. Just curious.

troglobil
10-18-2007, 10:11
Does that mean I can't roast my hot dog over this?
url=ht[tp://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19292&c=553]http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/7/5/6/8/TAGFire_thumb.jpg[/url]

Summit
10-18-2007, 11:01
Where did you get the date Dec. 15th? Everything I read said "Until further notice", even on the original ban announcement. Just curious.Thanks for the correction. I have a Virginia similar bulletin and it says until Dec. 15th. Sorry for the confusion.

dixicritter
10-18-2007, 13:45
Thanks for the correction. I have a Virginia similar bulletin and it says until Dec. 15th. Sorry for the confusion.

No problem, Good to know that Virginia has one on until Dec. 15th though. Might be a good idea to post more ban notices on here so folks will have that info, for those that have them that is. Just a thought anyway. :)