PDA

View Full Version : GA section direction

Ghosthiker
10-17-2007, 16:20
I am going to hike the GA section next spring. In your poinion, which direction do you think is best and why, NOBO or SOBO?

ChinMusic
10-17-2007, 16:55
Do you like hiking WITH folks or meeting a LOT of folks?

Pedaling Fool
10-17-2007, 17:00
I don't think it much matters, other than maybe logistical concerns. However, I would perfer to go over Blood mountain in a north to south direction, because I hate going down steep rocky descents.

scope
10-17-2007, 17:48
I am going to hike the GA section next spring. In your poinion, which direction do you think is best and why, NOBO or SOBO?

In terms of terrain, I'd say Sobo is probably easier, but its close to being a tossup, especially if you don't do the Approach trail Nobo. Some of the notorious climbs are much milder going Sobo (Sassafras, Rocky Mt., Kelly), but there are some longer stretches which are harder (from Dicks Creek, the Swag, between Horse and Hightower Gap).

Personally, I'd rather finish at Amicalola than at Dicks Creek Gap.

max patch
10-17-2007, 18:01
Doesn't matter one way or the other.

But...if you are going to leave one car at the end of your hike; then I'd leave it at ASP and hike SOBO.

Ghosthiker
10-18-2007, 11:41
So far, everyone has been leaning towards SOBO. With or meeting other hikers is a toos-up, to me. I'd been thinking SOBO, too. So, that's probably how I'll go. One other question. I have the option of mid April to mid May. Does the time frame make any difference? I realize weather should be a bit warmer, a moth later, but that time of teh year, the nights are still bearable and the days cooler. Plus, I feel there may be more people NOBO at this point in April, than mid May. Is my thinking correct, here?

Lone Wolf
10-18-2007, 11:43
So far, everyone has been leaning towards SOBO. With or meeting other hikers is a toos-up, to me. I'd been thinking SOBO, too. So, that's probably how I'll go. One other question. I have the option of mid April to mid May. Does the time frame make any difference? I realize weather should be a bit warmer, a moth later, but that time of teh year, the nights are still bearable and the days cooler. Plus, I feel there may be more people NOBO at this point in April, than mid May. Is my thinking correct, here?

go mid may for sure. will be a lot better experience

Pedaling Fool
10-18-2007, 11:53
... I have the option of mid April to mid May. Does the time frame make any difference? I realize weather should be a bit warmer, a moth later, but that time of teh year, the nights are still bearable and the days cooler. Plus, I feel there may be more people NOBO at this point in April, than mid May. Is my thinking correct, here?
If you go in mid-April it's almost a sure thing you'll see snow, I did this year. I would think by mid-May the chances of snow will be much less, but not an impossibility. I would also guess you would see fewer people in May, most thru-hikers leave in March-April timeframe. However, I've never been to Georgia in May. In 2006 I went through Georgia starting March 17 and it was tough to get a tent space, not to mention a spot in the shelter. This year I departed April 08 and saw fewer people, but still the shelters were full at night.

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 11:53
SOBO. That way you can leave your ride at Amicalola and hike back to it at your own pace.

FatMan
10-18-2007, 11:57
go mid may for sure. will be a lot better experienceWell, it depends what you want out of your hike. If you are interested in many more long range views you will prefer mid April. By mid May you will be hiking the green tunnel as you will be mostly greened in.

max patch
10-18-2007, 11:59
If you go in mid-April it's almost a sure thing you'll see snow, I did this year.

Snow in GEORGIA in mid-april is unlikely. Cold nights, yes.

FatMan
10-18-2007, 12:01
Snow in GEORGIA in mid-april is unlikely. Cold nights, yes.That is an accurate statement. Snow in mid April can happen, but would be considered a freakish event.

scope
10-18-2007, 12:04
Well, it depends what you want out of your hike. If you are interested in many more long range views you will prefer mid April. By mid May you will be hiking the green tunnel as you will be mostly greened in.

I hiked at the end of April this year and the views through the woods were good, although it was colder than usual late into the season. Typically by 4/15, things start warming up for good. I hiked last year around the 10th of May and found no views due to new growth, leaves on the trees. I'd say late April is the sweet spot as most thru hikers started Ga by mid-April and are gone and any new growth is just starting.

Ghosthiker
10-18-2007, 13:51
OK, the majority seems to agree with what I was origionally thinking. I'll be SOBO from 4/19 to 4/26. This schedule should also allow me some down/side trip time. Thanks everyone.

SoonerTex
10-18-2007, 14:40

Ghosthiker, sorry to break in on your thread, but I like your question and it brought 2 more to mind. How long would a Georgia section take in mid April or May, for an out of shape, haven't hiked long distance in a while person? How easy is it to get to SOBO starting point if car is left at Amicalola and about what would it cost? Thanks SoonerTex

Ghosthiker
10-18-2007, 15:45
I'm in fair to better shape, so I figure with 8 days, it shouldn't be a problem. This should also leave me some flex time, if needed. If I remember correctly, the GA section is about 75 miles, plus 8 if you go on down the Approach trail and leave a car at Amicalola, which I'll probably do. That being said, I figure 83 miles or 10.4 per day average. I feel this is very do-able. I have been wanting to do this, but I don't object to company, if you are interested in a trip like this. I am planning on leaving a carat Amicalola and getting my wife or a friend to run me up to Bly Gap (just over the border in NC). Supposed to be a fairly easy way to drive to or near the trailhead. I have just started planning and don't remember the exact details from my AT guide book.

max patch
10-18-2007, 16:21
The Georgia section (excluding the approach) is 75 miles; except that you can't drive to the GA/NC border.

You have 3 options:

1. Get dropped off at Deep Gap NC and hike 7 miles south to the border.
2. Get dropped off at Dicks Creek Gap GA and hike 9 miles north to the border.
3. Hope that the Blue Ridge Gap road in GA is passable and hike 3 miles north to the border.

Best bet is next Spring find out what condition Blue Ridge Gap road is. ONLY listen to people who have been on the road recently. DON'T pay attention to anyone who starts off with "3 years ago the road was...."

scope
10-18-2007, 16:46
The Georgia section (excluding the approach) is 75 miles; except that you can't drive to the GA/NC border.

Best bet is next Spring find out what condition Blue Ridge Gap road is. ONLY listen to people who have been on the road recently. DON'T pay attention to anyone who starts off with "3 years ago the road was...."

When I crossed it last year, the road looked as good as FS42 near Springer, but I don't know how it is getting there. The Mountain Crossings (Neel's Gap store) website has a shuttle request page - they should be a good source of info even if they don't end up doing the shuttling. If you can start at Blue Ridge Gap, that makes sense, but you've got plenty of time to do either of the other two options above.

Ghosthiker
10-18-2007, 19:25
I knew I was in trouble running off of memory alone. I had considered being dropped off at Deep Gap, 6.8 miles. Then it would be about 82 + the 8 for the approach trail. 90 total or 11 +/- per day. I figure I'll actually get dropped off late on Friday and get a few miles down the trail for the first night. Still doable, tho. Plus, this will give me a good start point for the next section in 2009.

drdewrag
10-18-2007, 20:39
SOBO is an easier hike, but April will be nuts with thru-hikers everywhere... I'm with Wolf, May would be a better choice...Hey, it's your hike though...