PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Trail Home with You

JimSproul
11-18-2003, 12:46
I attended a sales seminar before my last long backpacking trek. One of the techniques they discussed was associating aromas with happy times to reduce stress.

I went to the mall and bought a bottle of an aromatic oil that I had no association with. Like you might with peppermint and candy canes. I put a few cotton balls with some of the oil in a waterproof pill continer that I attached to my pack strap. So when I got to the mountains and found myself at a beautiful spot, or a happy time like getting to the top of a trail I would open my pill container and take a "hit" of the aroma. Kids tought I was a bit wacked out but....

Now back in "the grind" I use that aroma in my office, or around the house, whenever I want a positive, happy feeling. When I get a wiff I take a moment to think about a time on the trail. Just a through :-?

Hammock Hanger
11-18-2003, 21:37
I attended a sales seminar before my last long backpacking trek. One of the techniques they discussed was associating aromas with happy times to reduce stress.

I went to the mall and bought a bottle of an aromatic oil that I had no association with. Like you might with peppermint and candy canes. I put a few cotton balls with some of the oil in a waterproof pill continer that I attached to my pack strap. So when I got to the mountains and found myself at a beautiful spot, or a happy time like getting to the top of a trail I would open my pill container and take a "hit" of the aroma. Kids tought I was a bit wacked out but....

Now back in "the grind" I use that aroma in my office, or around the house, whenever I want a positive, happy feeling. When I get a wiff I take a moment to think about a time on the trail. Just a through :-?

:sun Interesting concept. HH

Nightwalker
11-24-2003, 20:14

That could work really well on The Trail when you're just slagged out! Worth a try, eh?

Frank