PDA

View Full Version : The "perfect" resupply solution.

Doctari
11-18-2003, 12:51
I have decided to not resupply at all on my thru hike.

All I need is 2 Lbs per day food, for 6 months at 30 days a month, that's only 360 Lbs, right.

Then add about 10 Lbs for gear & stuff, so that's only 370 Lbs.

plus about 6 gallons of fuel, so another 45 or 50 Lbs.

Oh yes, only a pack weight of 415 Lbs!!!!

I am set. Think of all the money I'll save :clap

AND, none of those annoying side trips, therby saving miles.

Oh, if i ditch the stove, that will bring my pack weight to 414 Lbs 11 Oz, and then I can loose the fuel, and I'm down to a mear 369 Lbs 11 Oz.

I HAVE A PLAN!

Now to find a pack big enough.

Sorry, I got a bit weird. Had you going though didn't I :bse

DebW
11-18-2003, 13:43
Met a guy on the Long Trail who tried to do that. Of course, the LT is only 270 miles long. And he had one resupply that he stashed in the woods before he started. So he had 16 lb of food to start and a 16 lb resupply once in the middle. He was determined to hike the whole LT without getting off trail for anything. He didn't smell too good when we met him after 3 weeks. Hope no one tries this on the AT.

Senor Quack
11-19-2003, 01:04
I have decided to not resupply at all on my thru hike.

All I need is 2 Lbs per day food, for 6 months at 30 days a month, that's only 360 Lbs, right.

Then add about 10 Lbs for gear & stuff, so that's only 370 Lbs.

plus about 6 gallons of fuel, so another 45 or 50 Lbs.

Oh yes, only a pack weight of 415 Lbs!!!!

I am set. Think of all the money I'll save :clap

AND, none of those annoying side trips, therby saving miles.

Oh, if i ditch the stove, that will bring my pack weight to 414 Lbs 11 Oz, and then I can loose the fuel, and I'm down to a mear 369 Lbs 11 Oz.

I HAVE A PLAN!

Sorry, I got a bit weird. Had you going though didn't I :bse

Just remember not to forget your steroid resupply! All of the steroids required to haul such a load will wear off way before the mid-way point! Carry extra!

Peaks
11-19-2003, 09:16
If you don't go off the trail to resupply, then I guess that also means the only showers you will be taking are at Partnership shelter, Dahlgren Campground, Falls Village, and Gifford Woods State Park. No need to bring along much soap. No laundries either.

Doctari
11-19-2003, 14:47
Just remember not to forget your steroid resupply! All of the steroids required to haul such a load will wear off way before the mid-way point! Carry extra!

Ah but by then I plan on being down to a pack weight of less than 200 Lbs, it should be a cake walk from there on :jump

:dance

and as to showers, at first I was going to skip them, but that would probably be harmful to the environ in my area :D but those suggestions are good.

Oh this is so silly, but fun.

Doctari.

Rain Man
11-19-2003, 15:06
and as to showers, at first I was going to skip them, but that would probably be harmful to the environ in my area :D but those suggestions are good.

Doc,

You'll probably get free showers from heaven every day or two, so don't worry, be happy!

Rain Man

Cabo
11-23-2003, 11:57

How about this...Buy the biggest pack you can find. For the remaining 350 or so pounds use a rickshaw. :banana When you use up enough supplies and get down to just what will fit in your pack, ditch the rickshaw. :jump . I guess that would be somewhere in Maine.

I think it's possible...... :-? Isn't it??

cabalot
11-24-2003, 20:06
if you had a very strong donkey you might get away with it if you did some fishing, hunting and foraging.