PDA

View Full Version : There's snow in them thar mountains

woodsy
10-18-2007, 06:06
Captured this zoom image (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19290&) yesterday while in the hood. Snow looks to be above 3500'+ on north slopes.

Just a heads up if you are thinking about heading out into the higher peaks in the northeast:)

Kirby
10-18-2007, 06:21
I was just up there a couple of weeks ago and there was no snow which means that snow is fairly recent. So much for climbing Katahdin this weekend.

Kirby

shelterbuilder
10-18-2007, 06:59
Captured this zoom image (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19290&) yesterday while in the hood. Snow looks to be above 3500'+ on north slopes.

Just a heads up if you are thinking about heading out into the higher peaks in the northeast:)

Judging by your photos, you've got some lovely country up there. I haven't made it up that far yet - got side-tracked down here on shelters etc. Those pictures get me feeling "antsy".

TJ aka Teej
10-18-2007, 07:33
Snow on Katahdin:
http://www.katahdincam.com/

The Solemates
10-18-2007, 09:36
there was snow in the 'dacks this weekend. lots of it in the high peaks region. we were postholing atop summits.

Mags
10-18-2007, 10:04
There's snow up in the Rockies, too.

It seems there's a good (what I think of anyway) Oct 1st rule-of-thumb for the hike peaks regions throughout the lower 48. If you are out much past Oct 1st, there is a good chance it will be winter in the high country and no longer fall!

Anyway, I am off to do some car camping this weekend in Rocky Mtn NP with some hiking in the high country. We'll see how much snow there is. :)

woodsy
10-18-2007, 10:41
There's snow up in the Rockies, too.

It seems there's a good (what I think of anyway) Oct 1st rule-of-thumb for the hike peaks regions throughout the lower 48. If you are out much past Oct 1st, there is a good chance it will be winter in the high country and no longer fall!

Anyway, I am off to do some car camping this weekend in Rocky Mtn NP with some hiking in the high country. We'll see how much snow there is. :)

Ah yes, going after one of them Rocky Mtn highs

Someone should write and sing a song about an Appalachian high:D

Any music artists out there?

Mags
10-18-2007, 10:49
Ah yes, going after one of them Rocky Mtn highs

Someone should write and sing a song about an Appalachian high:D

Any music artists out there?

Heh.... Not me. As the cliche' goes, I could not carry a tune in a bucket!

I really, really, really need to get back to New England in the Fall and experience and Appalachian High again! I was supposed to go this year, but life intereferes at times....

Yukon
10-18-2007, 11:07
I was in Stowe Vermont this past weekend and the whole peak was covered with what I THOUGHT was snow, when I got up there I found out it was just ice LOL...looked pretty though :)

Jim Bowie
10-18-2007, 11:25
I went from 17 to 27 this weekend.

Rime ice on Saddleback/Horn/Jr.
Snow on Sugarloaf/N. & S. Crocker.

I was sleeted on setting up my hammock at Cirque. Fantastic!

Lone Wolf
10-18-2007, 11:27
BS! y'all are lying. global warming won't allow it. Al said

warren doyle
10-18-2007, 13:00
Rime ice on the trees on Clingman's Dome last Thursday morning. Beautiful!

woodsy
10-18-2007, 13:07
Snow and ice does make for some beautiful scenes on trees and mountains.
It also adds a survivability element when out hiking in it which i don't mind

As far a global warming, we here in the far northeast experienced the coolest summer in a decade or more. Al must be talking about points south of here.