PDA

View Full Version : First mail drop.

Neurosis
10-18-2007, 08:54
Im currently planning a 2009 thru-hike and having some trouble trying to plan mail drops. Whats a good first one? Im trying to hike cheap so how many would be good but money saving and how far apart is reasonable? I apologize if this thread has already been posted somewhere else, but I couldnt find it. But some help would greatly be appreciated.Thanks.

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 08:58
Fontanna Village. The store there is small and runs out of stuff fast. You can mail yourself about 5 days rations and sundries to make it to the north side of the Smokies.

Cookerhiker
10-18-2007, 09:13
Seems to me that at 160+ miles, Fontana is kind of far for a first mail drop unless you're planning to resupply along the way at Neels, Hiawasee, & Franklin using the local stores.

What kind of mileage are you planning on? Do you want to travel light with only a few days worth of food at a time or can you carry a week's worth? If you're starting out slow and want to go light, send your first mail drop to Neels, second to Hiawasee, third to Franklin, and fourth to Fontana. If you're doing big mileage and/or willing to carry a lot of food (that seems contradictory, doesn't it), use Hiawasee first and Fontana second.

I recommend mailing to a hostel or motel whenever possible, not a PO, so you don't have to worry about making to a PO before it closes for a weekend.

Footslogger
10-18-2007, 09:24
Im currently planning a 2009 thru-hike and having some trouble trying to plan mail drops. Whats a good first one? Im trying to hike cheap so how many would be good but money saving and how far apart is reasonable? I apologize if this thread has already been posted somewhere else, but I couldnt find it. But some help would greatly be appreciated.Thanks.

======================================

You need to factor in your planned stopovers and how much (how many days worth) of food you're willing to carry at any one time.

Food/supplies are actually pretty easy to come by all the way to Harpers Ferry, if you're willing to get off trail for a half or entire day.

In 2003, I was able to buy food as I went (without maildrops) and average 4 - 5 day re-supply intervals. The first time I actually wanted/needed a maildrop (with food) was Harpers Ferry ...mainly because I knew in advance I would have to take a bus to a grocery store. In retrospect though (ironically) I decided once I got to Harpers to overnight and see the area, so I really could have re-supplied there too and not depend on a maildrop.

I was able to get from Springer to Katahdin with 3 actual "food" maildrop boxes:

Harpers Ferry
Bear Mtn
Glencilff

Hope that helps ...

'Slogger

Neurosis
10-18-2007, 09:29
Im going to start out doing anywhere from 8-12 mpd and would like to go light and as stress free as possible at first(try and hold back the laughter) so sending mail drops to Neels, Hiawasee and Franklin sounds pretty reasonable. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Flush2wice
10-18-2007, 09:32
I would spread out the mail drops and fill in between at trail towns.
Fontana, Hot Springs, Erwin, Damascus...
Mail drops can be a hassle.
Did you read this article (http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart1) ?

Cookerhiker
10-18-2007, 09:35
Im going to start out doing anywhere from 8-12 mpd and would like to go light and as stress free as possible at first(try and hold back the laughter) so sending mail drops to Neels, Hiawasee and Franklin sounds pretty reasonable. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Since you're new to WB, let me point out that regarding Franklin, contact Ron Haven, also a WB member, who owns the Haven motel in Franklin. He'll be more than willing to help you there. Great guy and very hiker friendly.

sonic
10-18-2007, 09:37
Check out the link on the Home page, left side, called AT Re-Supply Info. That might have what you are looking for. Also, several other links there with valuable information.

max patch
10-18-2007, 09:46

You can resupply at Neels, and Hiawassee are Franklin are both big towns that have supermarkets. I wouldn't send a mail drop to any of these 3 places.

Pedaling Fool
10-18-2007, 09:48
That is a lot, I did 15 for my thru last year in the following towns:

Fontana Dam, NC (2.0W)<B><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">

Frosty
10-18-2007, 09:57
Im currently planning a 2009 thru-hike and having some trouble trying to plan mail drops. Whats a good first one? Im trying to hike cheap so how many would be good but money saving and how far apart is reasonable? I apologize if this thread has already been posted somewhere else, but I couldnt find it. But some help would greatly be appreciated.Thanks.Rather than decide by spaacing them out by distance, consider sending maildrops only where it is hard to get resupplied easily. If you want to save money, obviosuly don't send a maildrop to a Post Office that is next to an Ingls or Food Lion :D

Sometimes in sections where re-supply is difficult, hostels will run you into town if you stay there. At Fontana Dam, mentioned above as a tough re-supply spot, the Hike Inn will take you into Robbinsville as part of a stay. Check the Thruhikers Cpmpanion for information of this.
http://aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Baltimore Jack has a five-part article about re-supply. Look under the THRU HIKING INFO pull-down menu above. There are other good planning articles there, also.

Flush2wice
10-18-2007, 10:01
Another consideration if you are trying to save $:
Buying in bulk at a Sam's club before your hike might seem smart, but you have to also consider postage. It might cost you $10 to mail 3 days worth of food to Franklin. Just go to the store. The grocery stores are open later plus you'll have a better idea of what you need. I had several aggravating experiences with the postal service. They even lost a box that I mailed home to myself when I was in Maine. It included 3 rolls of film (MA-NH) and my journal.

Sly
10-18-2007, 10:02
I was able to get from Springer to Katahdin with 3 actual "food" maildrop boxes:

Harpers Ferry
Bear Mtn
Glencilff

Commendable.

Pootz
10-18-2007, 10:19
I did not use mail drops during my 07 thru hike, and had no problems. Mail drops seemed to be more trouble than they were worth. I cant tell you how much trouble others had getting to the Post Office and other places to pick up mail drops. And you will be surprised how many times you end up rushing to the PO before it closes on Saturdays. Mail drops are a fun way to stay in touch with the folks back home and get a little home food now and then, but other wise unnecessary.

I would consider sending one to a few places. Neels Gap. Their food selection was poor & $$$ in my opinion. Fomtana Village had lots of hiker food available when I went through last spring. Between the stort and the outfitter you would have no problems resupply here. In Franklin Ron Haven will pick you up at the trail and if you stay at his place he will take you to the store and anywhere else you want to go. Delawere Water Gap, send one to the church hostle, no good resupply in DWG. You can worry about the other later, lots of miles between Springer and DWG.

Enjoy your hike

rafe
10-18-2007, 10:24
Nobody's suggested NOC (Wesser)? Anyway, seems like an odd question to be asking of strangers. How can anyone answer without knowing expected daily mileage, resupply interval, etc?

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 10:26
You can resupply at Neels, and Hiawassee are Franklin are both big towns that have supermarkets. I wouldn't send a mail drop to any of these 3 places.
That is what I was thinking. I'd rather shop for what I am hungry for whenever I can and depend on food mail drops only when that is the only good option.

Ewker
10-18-2007, 11:37
FYI on sending a mail drop to Neels Gap. It may not get there. A friend and I did a section hike and she sent a mail drop to Neels Gap 10 days before we left. Her package never got there. I would call ahead of time just to make sure they have received it. She talked to the folks at the outfitters and was told it happens a lot even if you send it overnight delivery.
She told them that if it did show up just put everything in a hiker box.

Footslogger
10-18-2007, 11:50
Commendable.

==============================

Thanks Sly ...I consider myself commended :)

'Slogger

Blissful
10-18-2007, 13:08
Why is having three mail drops commendable??

I went into a long spiel on another thread about why we chose to do mail drops and not rely on the mashed potato mixes of convience stores or the high prices that I found down south. Nutrition wise, health wise, and everything esle wise. And again, you can avoid POs in many instances by sending boxes to hostels and motels (which are accepting them). I think any way you choose to do your hike should be deemed commendable. Sometimes I think people on White Blaze advocate stereotypes. Like no mail drops and down bags only.

Synthetic baggers and mail droppers unite!! :)

But as for Maine, send drops priority. We had two stolen that were sent surface. And one is still lost - it never made it to Monson (we think the postal workers in DC got hungry). Send your stuff priority.

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 13:09
Naw, we just say what we like. We happen to like buying as we go and down sleeping bags. No really, we really like that.

Sly
10-18-2007, 13:16
Why is having three mail drops commendable??

I went into a long spiel on another thread about why we chose to do mail drops and not rely on the mashed potato mixes of convience stores or the high prices that I found down south. Nutrition wise, health wise, and everything esle wise. And again, you can avoid POs in many instances by sending boxes to hostels and motels (which are accepting them). I think any way you choose to do your hike should be deemed commendable. Sometimes I think people on White Blaze advocate stereotypes. Like no mail drops and down bags only.

Synthetic baggers and mail droppers unite!! :)

But as for Maine, send drops priority. We had two stolen that were sent surface. And one is still lost - it never made it to Monson (we think the postal workers in DC got hungry). Send your stuff priority.

First of all, Priority has no more guarantee of not being stolen as parcel post. Any package can get lost or stolen.

Secondly, it's commendable because he only used three mail drops as a buy as you go hiker. You want to do all mail drops, knock yourself out.

Now take a chill pill. :rolleyes:

Blissful
10-18-2007, 13:17
Naw, we just say what we like. We happen to like buying as we go and down sleeping bags. No really, we really like that.

Okay. Then I'll call myself commendable (since no one else here will, I'm sure) for having succeeded in using the mail drop system the whole way (but for the two that got ripped off) and using sythetic bags.

(Applause) :banana

Guess that's why one of my favorite t-shirts in Christiandom was the phrase - go against the flow.

Jack Tarlin
10-18-2007, 13:19
Actually, Sly, I have friends who are postal workers.

Priority Mail DOES get paid more attention by employees; it's stored in its own section of most Post offices; it's easier to track, and there's less chance of it getting lost.

Footslogger
10-18-2007, 13:19
[quote=Blissful;428614]Why is having three mail drops commendable??

===================================

It's probably not ...just what I was able to get away with, using mostly the "buy as you go" approach. In looking back over my hike I would say that I found it less complicated having to rendesvous with a maildrop any more than necessary. Heck, it was bad enough keeping my bounce box under control at times.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
10-18-2007, 13:20
i've never used mail drops for food resupply on a thru-hike. they're not NEEDED.

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 13:20
Maybe, but it could also be considered taking off the safety net to use buy as you go and a down bag. The other alternatives are the way to go if you stress everything going wrong.

Sly
10-18-2007, 13:23

Priority Mail DOES get paid more attention by employees; it's stored in its own section of most Post offices; it's easier to track, and there's less chance of it getting lost.

Yeah, I know it has 1st priority, that's why they call it Priority Mail. However, you can't track it any more than any other package without Delivery Confirmation or a signature. Do they have less chance of being lost? Maybe. Do they have less chance of being stolen? Probably not

Footslogger
10-18-2007, 13:27
Yeah, I know it has 1st priority, that's why they call it Priority Mail. However, you can't track it any more than any other package without Delivery Confirmation or a signature. Do they have less chance of being lost? Maybe. Do they have less chance of being stolen? Probably not

=================================

Actually, that's a good point. The last several times I used "Delivery Confirmation" the tracking info on the USPS website read "Package Accepted" (at my own post office) and was never updated because the package didn't get scanned inbound at the desitination post office. That level of "Delivery Confirmation" wasn't worth a flip.

But yeah, I would say from personal experience that "Priority" mail boxes do get better attention/handling than standard 1st class or parcel post.

'Slogger

Blissful
10-18-2007, 13:36
Maybe, but it could also be considered taking off the safety net to use buy as you go and a down bag. The other alternatives are the way to go if you stress everything going wrong.

Sgt Rock, God bless you - I could go into why I did it the way I did - but it would duplicate other posts. I did not do it to stress everything going wrong. But I do believe in preparation (after going on several pre hikes). I did take synthetic as a means of peace of mind and found out it was the way to go (I had a down bag waiting for me at home, by the way, at the halfway mark, but I refused to take it for the second half with the weather conditions I had been in). Mail drops for me were a nutrition issue not a wrong, stressed out issue. And I saw lots of hikers go the mashed potatoe route and end up quitting because they were losing too much weight and didn't have the energy to sustain the physical aspects of the hike. And they got hurt. I know too because I went that route when our drops didn't come and lost a bunch of weight in ME in the end. And now I have GI problems that won't resolve after a month of being home (and water borne agents have been ruled out).

I also saw lots of hikers stressed out too trying to hunt down rides to a convenience store b/c they are out of food. It works both ways.

Ugh, I was not going to get into it all but did anyway. Oh well.

Guess it's time for me to take a break from White Blaze for a while.

Sly
10-18-2007, 13:37
=================================

Actually, that's a good point. The last several times I used "Delivery Confirmation" the tracking info on the USPS website read "Package Accepted" (at my own post office) and was never updated because the package didn't get scanned inbound at the desitination post office. That level of "Delivery Confirmation" wasn't worth a flip.

But yeah, I would say from personal experience that "Priority" mail boxes do get better attention/handling than standard 1st class or parcel post.

'Slogger

I've mailed a ton of packages selling on Ebay and use the USPS Shippers Assistant to make labels with free DC for PM and $.18 for other services such as 1st class, Parcel Post and Media Mail. Generally, it gets scanned right away at the PO, especially if your paying for postage, as opposed to Stamps.com where you prepay and can just drop it in a box. That said, when tracking 99 times of 100 it gets scanned at the destination PO and on delivery. How do I know? I check. :)

Here's a sample using Stamps.com

Tracking Status

October 17, 2007 - 07:37:00 ENROUTE
Your item arrived at the MELVILLE, NY processing facility at 07:37:00 on October 17, 2007.

October 15, 2007 ELECTRONIC NOTIFICATION
The U.S. Postal Service received electronic notification of your item on October 15, 2007.

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 13:40
Me too. Hiking clears the mind and, after all, this is just hiking.

But...

I still think it is admirable someone can make it the whole way with 3 or less mail drops. And I still like down bags better than synthetic.

Lone Wolf
10-18-2007, 13:41
if they had to do it again, MOST thru-hikers would not use mail drops for food

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 13:43
Or treat water ;)

Yer my hero!

Sly
10-18-2007, 13:44
Blissful, can I asked what types of foods you mailed to yourself? It seems to me unless you did lots of dehydrating anything else can be bought in stores along the trail. There's no need to live on mashed potatoes or ramens as most trail towns have decent size grocery stores.

Survivor Dave
10-18-2007, 13:51
Funny thing Rock, As you are, and I was a part of the Armed Forces, WERE USED TO THE "Hurry up and wait" brigade. I will be taking down and will have to use a few mail drops to swap Winter for Summer and vice versa. Blissful is a Thru-Hiker and will listen to her suggestions, but am still going to pick up along the way as I only have 1 person to do the gear stuff. They can't do it every week.

As someone metioned in a post about that song----Down-Doo- Be-Do-Down-Down:D

Dave

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 13:52
Good point Sly. It is my experience a human in America can get some pretty good eats in a lot of places compared to a lot of other places in this world I have been - and those folks work like mules on that food.

If you already have a lousy diet, getting that same lousy diet mailed to you for the next 6 months on the trail doesn't make you any smarter than the other guy. From what I have seen this is more the case than anything else.

Edit -

Take that with a grain of salt as one that has just watched the thru-hiking crowds over a few years - not one that has actually maild himself the same diet for 6 months unless you count MREs. And from that experience - even though they are supposed to meet all your nutritional needs you will still lose weight and have digestive problems after eating the same stuff over and over again for that long.

Footslogger
10-18-2007, 13:56
[quote=SGT Rock;428650]Or treat water ;)

==========================================

When I re-hike the AT I may not use mail drops ...but I will treat SOME of the water !!

'Slogger

Ewker
10-18-2007, 13:58
I have a hard enough time figuring out what I want to eat on a week trip. I can't even imagine trying to figure out what I want to eat 4 months from now. I may get tired of what I am eating now and want to make a change along the way. I wouldn't want something mailed to me that I grew tired of

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 13:58
Except for jerky and liquor.

Survivor Dave
10-18-2007, 14:00
Hmmmm.....GIARDIASLOGGER, has a good ring to it! Ha frickin' ha!

Lone Wolf
10-18-2007, 14:00
I have a hard enough time figuring out what I want to eat on a week trip. I can't even imagine trying to figure out what I want to eat 4 months from now. I may get tired of what I am eating now and want to make a change along the way. I wouldn't want something mailed to me that I grew tired of

or if you bought 4 months worth of food and quit the AT in a month or less. mail drops suck :)

Footslogger
10-18-2007, 14:08
Hmmmm.....GIARDIASLOGGER, has a good ring to it! Ha frickin' ha!

===================================

Kinda like that myself ...but can we shorten it to G'Slogger ??

Now ...back to the maildrop question !!

'Slogger

Footslogger
10-18-2007, 14:12

==========================================

I think we still have a few pallets of ramen noodles and oatmeal packets in the storage room from my wife's thru in 2001. I think by the time she got to Virginia she forbid me to send her any more of either ...despite the fact that SHE herself had bought all that stuff in advance. If memory serves correctly she had about 24 maildrop boxes and I was in charge of mailing them to her - - what a pain (for both of us actually).

Maybe that experience plus my own instincts are what led me to cut way back on the maildrops for my own thru in 2003.

'Slogger

Survivor Dave
10-18-2007, 14:14
Your right G'slogger, I don't want to be a hipocrit.

I think it's a good idea to do a first drop at Neels, then I'm on my own for the rest of the trek. It gives me a sense of comfort to know I have something that I want waiting on me. I only live a little over an hour or so from there so I can drop it off that week.

As for the delivery issue, that's on the messenger(USPS,UPS,FedEX). Winton and his staff have nothing to do with the delivery issues. I know they don't mess with the drops. Not in their character.

SD

Sly
10-18-2007, 14:19
Mail drops do serve to help keep the home front involved. Also, depending on where you live, a case can be made that they'll save money if bought in bulk as opposed to paying street price, but then you'll be eating the same thing over an over. Plus, along these lines, if you're on a strict budget and have your food for the trail, along with the postage of course, you're less likely to run out of money, and barring injury, should be able to finish.

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 14:21
I'm mail dropping maps and gear but not food - except for 3 locations.

Sly
10-18-2007, 15:23
I'm mail dropping maps and gear but not food - except for 3 locations.

Commendable! :D

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 15:33
Yea I admire myself.:banana

Neurosis
10-19-2007, 06:29
Again thank you to everyone who took the time to share some information, I havnt yet decided what I am going to do, but I have a much better idea about what mail drops are used for, and the decision will be a much easier one to make, so thanks again!

Flush2wice
10-19-2007, 09:00
Again thank you to everyone who took the time to share some information, I havnt yet decided what I am going to do, but I have a much better idea about what mail drops are used for, and the decision will be a much easier one to make, so thanks again!
That's pretty funny I'm sure we were a big help. I'm glad we've answered all your questions. Feel free to post others-
Shelter or tent?
Boots or trail runners?
Down or synth?
Hiking stick or not?
Paper or plastic?

Doctari
10-19-2007, 13:44
If you are (real) picky about food choices, a small (3 days) food drop at NOC may be a good idea, but as stated above, you don't really need one till Fontana. Don't need one at all (IMHO) in Hot Springs, Erwin or Damascus.

Lone Wolf
10-19-2007, 13:46
If you are (real) picky about food choices, a small (3 days) food drop at NOC may be a good idea, but as stated above, you don't really need one till Fontana. Don't need one at all (IMHO) in Hot Springs, Erwin or Damascus.

you really don't need one in Fontana. there's plenty there to get you to Gatlinburg which is a very easy in and back out hitch

A-Train
10-19-2007, 15:38

Tis' true. I was told by several postal workers on the PCT to always send everything priority. Not only is it usually the same price to send (sometimes cheaper) but i was told that they will actually pay attention to it. In one PO (which will remain nameless) the postmistress told me they chuck the parcel post stuff in the back and get to it when they get to it.

Appalachian Tater
10-19-2007, 19:10
My appetite changed a lot over the course of my hike. Only a few things were constant. If I had done food drops, I would have cancelled them after the first few. If someone is not an experienced hiker they're probably not going to do a very good job creating "perfect" drops, anyway. Some food is also seasonal: peanut butter cups work great in cold weather but not during the summer.

The other thing is that if there is a grocery store anywhere around you'll probably want to go there anyway to buy fresh fruit, juice, milk, etc.

Cookerhiker
10-19-2007, 19:31
Didn't thru hike and my longest section hike was only 300 miles so I can't comment on personal experience/preference. But my buddy Northern Harrier thruhiked in '04 and used maildrops all the way. His only complaint was not having enough in his one-week mid-hike break to get the maildrops ready for the second half of his hike. He didn't lament doing maildrops but rather that he hadn't taken a longer break.

The irony is that the food he mailed himself (actually his wife mailed them) was typical hiker food he could have easily bought at trail town stores - Lipton sides, tuna packets, oatmeal packets, trail mix.

EWS
10-20-2007, 02:33
I'm not going to bother with them, as I don't see the point and food shopping is more entertaining than bothering with P.O. headaches.

rafe
10-20-2007, 09:57
The irony is that the food he mailed himself (actually his wife mailed them) was typical hiker food he could have easily bought at trail town stores - Lipton sides, tuna packets, oatmeal packets, trail mix.

Exactly. That's why maildrops should be minimized, or used for stuff that you can't buy locally.

Doctari
10-20-2007, 10:26
you really don't need one in Fontana. there's plenty there to get you to Gatlinburg which is a very easy in and back out hitch

Yea, I know. It really isn't a "Need" more an "I prefer". I just think it easier, that plus I hate Gatlinburg so only stop there when with the wife, so she can shop.

Sly
10-20-2007, 10:37
Tis' true. I was told by several postal workers on the PCT to always send everything priority. Not only is it usually the same price to send (sometimes cheaper) but i was told that they will actually pay attention to it. In one PO (which will remain nameless) the postmistress told me they chuck the parcel post stuff in the back and get to it when they get to it.

You fell for that line? Every good sales person starts high. I don't think I've ever seen PM cheaper than Parcel Post. With the new rates, it appears (I'm checking on USPS SA) you'll save several $$'s per package to any zone using Parcel Post. If you're doing 20-30 mail drops, that adds up. Generally there's only a day or two difference in delivery time. It's not likely you'll ever out hike the PO. However, there are advantages to PM such as free forwarding, which may make sense for a bounce box.

Why should the PO remain nameless? :rolleyes:

Ron Haven
10-20-2007, 23:18
or if you bought 4 months worth of food and quit the AT in a month or less. mail drops suck :)Fellows all of you are veteren hikers and you guy's don't know how much respect I have for all of you.

But,newby hikers are just like a person wanting to learn to play a guitar.At the first guitar lesson they are so exited.They bought a tuner that they don't even know how to work.They will soon develope a ear for a sound of music and throw the tuner to the side once they learn to use it.They bought 8 extra sets of strings in case they break one and that is enough for 3 years.Not to say they buy,capo's,clamps,neck straps,cleaning kit, polish,etc and a $29.99 guitar.They realize all this after just one lesson.

I am only a section and weekend hiker but I look eye to eye with many hiker every year.All of you are exactly correct.Like LWolf said"Mail Drops are usually not needed",but if a person does send them an outfitter,hostel or Hiker friendly motel is the place to send them.Defently not a Post Office.

I don't know how many hikers who have came to Budget Inn on Saturday after the post office closed and had to stay in town until Monday morning for a mail drop.Their friends left Sunday morning and as Frosty said"Ingles and Bilo's is just down the street".

Sgt Rock,you are right on target.Not much at Fontana.If someone don't want to go to Robbinsville for supplies maybe a drop sent from Hiawassee or Franklin may help :confused: to Newfound Gap but south of there is dead expense.

In March and April I run the free shuttle bus at 8am,10am, and 12noon to Winding Stair,Rock,and Wallace Gap daily.If any of the north bound newbys want to go in to recieve a drop or send one.Go into Franklin on the early ride and return on the noon ride free.Neurosis this will save you money if you don't want to stay as you pass Franklin.If you stay I run a town shuttle free starting at 4pm to Post Office,Grocery Store,Outfitter,Shopping Centers and more in the evenings.

And Sly.It is good to have you back on this side.PCT is pretty I know.But I'm kinda partial to the A T.

Footslogger,It maybe needed to mail water up the trail as a mail drop before long.:o

River Runner
10-21-2007, 01:39
I haven't thru hiked, but I am section hiking, and did Springer to Unicoi Gap last spring. I thought Mountain Crossings at Neel's Gap had an adequate selection. A lot of it was freeze-dried, and yes it costs, but if you really want the cheapest solution, mailing a food drop probably costs more in the long run. From Neel's, it's only a couple of days to Unicoi Gap, where hikers can hitchhike to Helen or Hiawassee, or about 4 days to Dick's Creek Gap, so only about 4 days food would have to be purchased max.

No offense Blissful, but I think your food drops were for two people, which would make a lower per person cost for the postage. This is not typical for most thru hikers.

Appalachian Tater
10-21-2007, 11:37
You fell for that line? Every good sales person starts high. I don't think I've ever seen PM cheaper than Parcel Post. With the new rates, it appears (I'm checking on USPS SA) you'll save several $$'s per package to any zone using Parcel Post.

It make make a difference if you have to pay for a box or envelope at the P.O., then Priority Mail might be cheaper than Parcel Post.

And the P.O. is driving me nuts trying to sell things--I go to mail a small package or envelope the cheapest way possible and they're trying to sell me insurance, tracking, extra stamps. Last time I told the guy that I was waiting for him to ask me if I wanted fries with that and he said that are being taught to make add-on sales to increase revenue.

sylvan
10-21-2007, 15:06
Sgt Rock, God bless you - I could go into why I did it the way I did - but it would duplicate other posts. I did not do it to stress everything going wrong. But I do believe in preparation (after going on several pre hikes). I did take synthetic as a means of peace of mind and found out it was the way to go (I had a down bag waiting for me at home, by the way, at the halfway mark, but I refused to take it for the second half with the weather conditions I had been in). Mail drops for me were a nutrition issue not a wrong, stressed out issue. And I saw lots of hikers go the mashed potatoe route and end up quitting because they were losing too much weight and didn't have the energy to sustain the physical aspects of the hike. And they got hurt. I know too because I went that route when our drops didn't come and lost a bunch of weight in ME in the end. And now I have GI problems that won't resolve after a month of being home (and water borne agents have been ruled out).

I also saw lots of hikers stressed out too trying to hunt down rides to a convenience store b/c they are out of food. It works both ways.

Ugh, I was not going to get into it all but did anyway. Oh well.

Guess it's time for me to take a break from White Blaze for a while.

You make a lot of interesting assumptions about cause and effect.

mtt37849
11-19-2007, 20:45
Question from a newbie, where can i get a list of the mail drops, address, and if possible marked on a map, to have some idea where to send the mail drops??
This will be my first AT attempt and would liek to know is it even a good idea to mess with the mail drops or just reup on food from town to town?

Jack Tarlin
11-20-2007, 15:29
All the major Trail Guides, such as the Thru Hikers Handbook or The Thru Hikers Companion contain this information. You can find the first at www.trailplace.com; you can find the second at www.aldha.org or www.appalachiantrail.org

If you do a search on this site, you'll find all sorts of info and discussions on whether or not you need maildrops or can simply buy what you need en route. The prevailing view for most folks these days is that unless you're on some sort of special or restricted diet, there are very few places you'll actually need to send yourself food. Also, check out the "Articles" section of this website and have a look at the "Re-Supply" articles which many folks have found useful.

max patch
11-20-2007, 22:04
When all is said and done, many more thru's will say "next time I'm using less mail drops" than will say "next time I'm using more mail drops".

Lot of truth in those words.