PDA

View Full Version : Albert Sobo

scope
10-18-2007, 11:56
I hear the Nobo ascent of Albert Mt. requires use of hands. So, how bad is it going down on a Sobo trip? Should I backtrack from the top and take the trail around it? (section hike)

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 11:57
SOBO is not that hard until you go downhill - but it is not all that bad.

Lone Wolf
10-18-2007, 11:58
I hear the Nobo ascent of Albert Mt. requires use of hands. So, how bad is it going down on a Sobo trip? Should I backtrack from the top and take the trail around it? (section hike)

i never used my hands.

Marta
10-18-2007, 12:40
It is not that hard. The weather conditions would have to be extremely icy to make it worth going around.

buckowens
10-18-2007, 16:03
I don't recall using my hands as well going NOBO. I do remember reading that in the WB guide though. I did take my time and use my poles to good advantage. I have some pics in my gallery that show some of the climb...

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 16:06
I may be wrong on this, but I was told a couple of years ago there was a re-build of that section of trail on the south side of Albert in about 2002. So the old horror stories of that climb are no longer valid.

Of course that story I was told could be wrong.

shoe
10-18-2007, 18:13
Albert was a b***h for me. I literally had to pull my self up using trees and such. I wish I would have had a clue about that part of the trail. I would have put my poles up, but I had to toss them up ahead of me a couple of times. But I am a weak and slow hiker.

How did you manage to get up with out using your hands?

Marta
10-18-2007, 18:27
Ah, but when you're going SOBO, you go DOWN the steep face of Albert Mtn.

buckowens
10-18-2007, 18:40
Albert was a b***h for me. I literally had to pull my self up using trees and such. I wish I would have had a clue about that part of the trail. I would have put my poles up, but I had to toss them up ahead of me a couple of times. But I am a weak and slow hiker.

How did you manage to get up with out using your hands?

I am not the most graceful of folks, so I used the poles quite a bit. I almost fell a few times, but just slowed down and took my time. I was solo, and had not seen another person for a day or so, so I did not want to lay there for a long time until someone came along!:D

Cabin Fever
10-18-2007, 19:01
I defintely had to use my hands. Of course, it was about 95 degrees that day.

rayc1997
10-18-2007, 23:40
I had to use my hands, poles, trees and knees. My rat terrier, Ichabod, used all four legs to climb that hill, but I couldn't seem to run uphill like he did! I think he got tired after coming down the third time to check on me.

Hikerhead
10-18-2007, 23:44
When I got to the top I had to wonder where was the bad part that I kept hearing about. Its not bad at all.

Nightwalker
10-19-2007, 00:11
Going South, it's pretty hard coming down. The North side isn't bad in either direction.

Blood mtn. is a lot harder SOBO than Albert is! :)

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 06:08
Going South, it's pretty hard coming down. The North side isn't bad in either direction.

I didn't notice that at all.

Lone Wolf
10-19-2007, 06:10

obviously you haven't hiked in northern NH or southern maine. there is nothing tough about mt. albert or blood mtn.

Doctari
10-19-2007, 06:21
I found NOBO up Albert "interesting" but not that bad. If it's been rerouted since 99 it may be even easier.

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 06:25
I did Blood Mountain SOBO in 2001 as a part of my AT hike from NOC to Amicalola and was dreading the infamous SOBO climb up blood mountain. I was supprised when I walked out on the top and never found this nasty place.

Kerosene
10-19-2007, 09:56
When I got to the top I had to wonder where was the bad part that I kept hearing about. Its not bad at all.And if Hikerhead (aka, Hokey Pokey) says that about an uphill climb, then you know it can't be that bad!

whitefoot_hp
10-19-2007, 14:55
I did Blood Mountain SOBO in 2001 as a part of my AT hike from NOC to Amicalola and was dreading the infamous SOBO climb up blood mountain. I was supprised when I walked out on the top and never found this nasty place.
i never found it to be particularly terrible, up or down. its worse going down NOBO.

I am planning on a section from Fontana to Neels this december. will albert mountain be that bad?

Hikerhead
10-19-2007, 15:21
This is what I remember about climbing Albert. I didn't think these steps would ever end......

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2535049500047269387lIIVPK

I'm sure one reason why it seemed pretty easy to climb was because I hammock the night before close to the parking lot/road, just before the final climb.

springerfever
10-20-2007, 08:40
Really not a whole lot to it. I much prefer to go up a steep trail as opposed to down, particularly if its wet. Deal with Mt. Albert is, yes, it is steep, but VERY short. (only about .6 mile). Take your time and enjoy the challenge, and if you are headed northbound you might have a spectacular view at the firetower on top.

If you use poles...this is a perfect time to stow-them, because you will be using your hands to grab-a-hold of trees,roots, etc.