PDA

View Full Version : Leaf color in Georgia

hacksaw
10-18-2007, 13:27
In the past two days here about 8 miles from Amicalola Falls SP at about 2000 ft elevation the Maples and Gums are bursting into their fall colors.

I fear the season will be short due to the drought as the lesser understory trees/bushes are already dropping leaves and the Oaks and Hickorys are turning unusually early.

My deck was completely covered with Maple leaves this morning. How is it around the area, all you locals?

Waterbuffalo
10-18-2007, 14:03
I'm near Gainesville and Yes the maples are turning fast and dropping the oaks are slowly turning I think in about a week we'll see a peak and that will be it.

hacksaw
10-18-2007, 14:05
I'm near Gainesville and Yes the maples are turning fast and dropping the oaks are slowly turning I think in about a week we'll see a peak and that will be it.

I tend to agree. WB.

Waterbuffalo
10-18-2007, 14:13
Last weekend at winding stair in the higher elevations there was a good but of change and it was nice and even.

galaleemc
10-18-2007, 22:33
Round here the immature trees are very colorful, I see changes every day. Poplars are dropping their leaves heavily. Still have a long way to go with taller/mature trees at higher elevation....will be interesting to see how the rain we had today plays out.........Can you Believe it rained here today?!?!?! Hopefully will give some water to dry spots on trail. Lots of yellows with spots of reds and oranges.

FatMan
10-18-2007, 22:53
Walked Gooch Gap to Woody Gap and back yesterday. I was in the clouds so I didn't have any long range views, but what I could see had very little color. With the drought conditions I figure when the leaves do turn they will fall quickly. I am expecting a disappointing season.:(

Just a Hiker
10-18-2007, 22:56
removed post

Fahrenheit
10-18-2007, 23:50
I'm thinking of a day hike up Trey mtn. Do you guys up there think this weekend or next would be better for color?

hacksaw
10-19-2007, 00:03
I'm thinking of a day hike up Trey mtn. Do you guys up there think this weekend or next would be better for color?

Probably next weekend would be better. The rain today along with the cooler weather should accelerate the changes.

Unless you have reservations don't plan on a motel stay in the mountains, if that was in your plans.

Waterbuffalo
10-21-2007, 11:09
I was up at Tray Mtn yetserday they are just starting to show some real Good Color give it a 7/10 days they should peak

Fahrenheit
10-21-2007, 18:35
I was up at Tray Mtn yetserday they are just starting to show some real Good Color give it a 7/10 days they should peak

Thanks for the info guys. I'm thinking about driving up next saturday or sunday.

JERMM
10-21-2007, 18:57
I was up around Woody's Gap, GA on Sat., Maples, Sour Wood and Poplars were spectacular

Doughnut
10-21-2007, 20:20
Just returend from Elijay and Clayton, getting great color, especially on the North facing slopes, either due to lack of water or cooler temperatures, I reckon.