PDA

View Full Version : T R A S H G I V I N G !

mweinstone
10-18-2007, 14:17
BLISTAH SISTAH IS SHY. SHE WONT ASK FOR DONATIONS TO PAY FOR TRASHGIVING. SHES TOO WEAK. THATS WHAY IM USEING LARGE POWERFULL PRINTING TO ANNOUNCE MY PLAN.
in the next few days i will sucseed in forcing carin,(blister sisters hard to say name) (like"put the -car in- the garage") to accept donations for our wonderfull trashgiving at pack rats hostel in new hampshire. last year we had over 100 people on saturday! all we need is five or six hundred dollars and a little for the hostel owner and turkeys. we donated this much last year with no ill effects. and the oven has been reserved this year for cooking, not heating up stuff. that took way too much work for blistah. im buying her a mala style burner and deep fry pot with jason hook for lowering the birds to their boiling oily demise. i have just sent mala a box of maple syrup and dog treats and coffie from italy. in the box is a note begging mala to come to fry the turkeys and let us behold him. i asplainsed to him that instead of buying a 200 $ rig for blistah, i would rather buy his gas and eat his bird. wait,..thats gross. anyway,..im in for a hundred above and beyond all that. lets start the fund raising this year with out her. whos in? 5 ,10 or 20 bucks is all it takes. when blister postes her mailing address, i exspect all the money to have been raised at that point. lets not work blister to the bone like usual,..lets suprise her and remove the stress of laying out her doll hairs. goat? im looking at you,...you in? how nice! dude? lets have the best week after thanksgiving trashgiving ever! ps, blister is o so hot and dreamy. i love her cheeks and face.

Lone Wolf
10-18-2007, 14:29
maybe blister doesn't want a thread on here begging for $$?

A-Train
10-18-2007, 14:36
Seemed to work pretty well last yr with a donation jar, assuming everyone did their part, which I assume they did.

Sly
10-18-2007, 14:41
i love her cheeks and face.

Probably not all you love. ;)

We need a Trashgiving down south. I think Ron Haven is going to put something together. Dec 1 would be ideal for me.

mweinstone
10-18-2007, 14:48
no wolf. sit down train. you two have some exsplaining to do. mr wolf? would you like to come up here and tell the class just whats so dammed funney? and mr train? spit out that gum unless you brought enough for the whole class. last year we raised more than half the cash on the blaze this way. the donnation jar was for packrat and the hostel. we need to buy food silly wabbits. and i spoke with blister last night and she does want to do this this way , just feels a little sheepish. but beggging? ill give you begging. wanna see matty beg? heres what ya do. load up a pack and dip it in knob creek and toss it on the parking lot at ammacalola. then tie me up and dump me next to it. ill beg till morn and then some, to hike. please come to trashgiving wolf. you too train. and give in any way you like. this collecting is because their is no other way but to ask her to lay out her own money. and she has but grool and poridge and stale bread crusts and lives in a deppressed economic region and is dirt poor. problems?

mweinstone
10-18-2007, 14:52
sir sly you jest. southern thanksgiving is called thanksgiving at ms janets. and we cant do a south one at the same time as trashgiving. we northerers call the weekend after thanksgiving at hiker hostel.as far as janet, ive asked mala to bring her if he comes and if she will.

janet! whats your idea for this tofurkyday?

Lone Wolf
10-18-2007, 14:59
please come to trashgiving wolf.

nah. i don't do hiker feeds.

horicon
10-18-2007, 15:32
Think small, Deep Fry you chicken.

TheTank
10-18-2007, 22:11
Matthewski, when does money need to be raised by? I will donate whatever I can, but how long do I have to scrounge up money?

camojack
10-19-2007, 00:46
So...when will this event actually take place? :confused:

gold bond
10-19-2007, 09:10
Reading all this there is no doubt there is liquior involved!
See try this idea..it's worked here in the south a time or two...get you a little red bucket or some kind of big can and hang it on a tripod or something...dress up like a big guy with a white beard dressed in some kind of ...well lets try a red suit this time... and yeah..ring a bell.. thats it ring a bell! That should work!

mweinstone
10-23-2007, 15:48
its the week after thanksgiving and tank you can wait untill you burp turkey and fart knob creek if you need.

sloopjonboswell
10-23-2007, 17:45
Probably not all you love. ;)

We need a Trashgiving down south. I think Ron Haven is going to put something together. Dec 1 would be ideal for me.

Ahhhh, yass, i do living in north carolina now.... Smashgiving.

Wonder
10-23-2007, 19:31
That's where I"m headin'! Sorry to all my NE friends.....just closer!

Blister
10-25-2007, 15:10
Trashgiving
C/O Karine Kelleher
PO Box 548
North Woodstock, NH 03262

:dance :dance :dance
Hey guys thanks for the posts and your arguments, whatever.... The money that I get ahead of time is to purchase and begin to prep food, last year there was one 30 lb roasted turkey with 2 additional whole turkey breast (about 15 lbs) cooked off. I will sit down and prepare the menu for posting including many of the ole favorites such as spiced squash soup, bacon wrapped scallops, shrimp cocktail, turkey chilli and of course Jester's mom's famous apple cake (I hope) and many more delicious surprises. For the record l.wolf this is not a hiker feed it is a hiker get-together in the midst of the holiday season, I am sure that Jack can once again eloquently describe how the festivity beggn and why we have it. If anyone has any other questions they can leave me a message at 603-667-6103

Jack Tarlin
10-25-2007, 16:11
We gonna be at your place or the Glencliff Hostel this year?

And is 30 November-2 December the right weekend?

StarLyte
10-25-2007, 16:21
Well I would certainly ask for donations to feed hikers.

Are you kidding?

Hikers can EAT and EAT and EAT.

Ask on Matty.

Hey Sly, that sounds like a real nice idea.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2007, 16:23
Hikers can EAT and EAT and EAT.

these are retired, fat ex-hikers

Jack Tarlin
10-25-2007, 16:32
I dunno, Wolf.

Blister hiked the CDT last year; Jester will be on the PCT next year. And I'll be out somewhere, not sure just where.

And Chomp is out hiking every single weekend.

Even Trix gets aroound now and again.

So yeah, some of us are getting fat, no argument there, but retired ex-hikers?

Nope. Not yet.

Give us a few years, eh?

Jester2000
10-26-2007, 02:24
I want to be fat.

camojack
10-26-2007, 03:39
Fat? Do you mean like the lone guy all the way on the left in THIS PICTURE!? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19162&original=1&c=661) :D

mrc237
10-26-2007, 07:41
Fat bastid! :D Ruint my pikchur!

Johnny Thunder
10-26-2007, 08:37
I want to be fat.

I am retireded.

A-Train
10-26-2007, 13:27

I haven't turned in my trail runners yet pal:)

Sly
10-26-2007, 14:07
Fat? Do you mean like the lone guy all the way on the left in THIS PICTURE!? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19162&original=1&c=661) :D

I always miss the WB photo! :mad:

Blister
10-26-2007, 16:33
I do believe that we decided upon that first weekend in December, it pretty much was fixed around the patriots sched.... ooopps... I mean Chomps sched
I'll have him make the post to confirm and yes at Glencliff is the plan, I'll be making some plans with Packrat tonight.

chomp
10-26-2007, 16:46
Yup - we did talk about the the 30th, 1st and 2nd of December as the weekend for Trashgiving. We used to have it on the weekend OF Thanksgiving, but since that is such a hard weekend for anyone that works retail to get off work (Black Friday and such), we take the weekend after that. It also have the benefit of being on a week where the Patriots play on Monday night in Baltimore. So unless I get tickets to that game and want to stay with Drive By... :)

Jack Tarlin
10-26-2007, 17:09
Great news from Blister.....so now that we've confirmed all that, I guess it's time for my annual "History of Trashgiving" post.

Some years back, like in the early days of this century (now that REALLY makes it sound like a long time ago) a group of hikers, many of them residents of a town called Billville, decided that while Thanksgiving was a very popular holiday, there were certain problems with it. A lot of our hiker trash friends either lived far from their families and couldn't make it home for Thanksgiving, or in some cases, they were somewhat estranged from their families and didn't want to go home for Thanksgiving. Or their parents moved away and deliberately left no forwarding address, that sort of thing. And in some cases, people went home, bad had lousy times once they were there. Too much football, or too much of Aunt Agatha asking you when you were going to stop hiking and act like an adult. Too much time with your drunken Uncle Shmendrick or with your perfect yuppified cousins loudly bragging about their new condo, car, or something else quite beyond your means. Too much dried up turkey or hideous marshmallow squash which Auntie Claire always force-feeds you in front of everyone. And dammit, the gravy always runs out, there's never enough pecan pie, and your mother insists on the whole berry cranberry sauce with chunks of orange in it instead of gool 'ole jellied Ocean Spray with the cute little can lines all around it.

In truth, bein' home in time for Thanksgiving ain't all that, at least if you come from a traditional and typical dysfunctional American family.

In short, a lot of our friends find Thanksgiving a depressing time cuz they don't make it home to see their loved ones.

And a lot of them find it an even more depressing time because they DO make it home to see their loved ones.

The solution came to us in a flash: In that we were all hikers, and that like all good Americans, having an annual holiday essentially devoted to gluttony is a pretty marvelous thing, we decided to re-create Thanksgiving a week after the actual event, but WITHOUT the onerous burden of having our families present for the occasion. And thus, Trashgiving was born.

And that's the way it's been for more than half a decade now. Some folks arrive on Friday night, some not til Saturday. Depending on the weather on Saturday, some people go hiking. In recent years, we've done some Trail maintenance, too. Some people just hang out. A few lose themselves in the kitchen as we are fortunate to have some members and friends who actually know how to do other things with food than merely eat it.

And then Sunday comes around and we have a big-ass breakfast, then people take off to wherever they'll be wintering.

In any case, our numbers seem to go up every year, as Billville is a thriving community. It's especially fun to get prospective thru-hikers there, and we had a couple last year who seemed to enjoy themselves. So I hope some of you guys will consider joining us for Trashgiving '07, as this is pretty much an open invitation. A few quick things, tho:

*Please let Karine (i.e. Blister) know if you're planning to attend as it'll help
give us a better idea of how many folks we're shopping and cooking for.

*If you want to bring something, that's great, but again, you might want to
write her first to see what would be best. Otherwise, baked goods or
desserts are always popular, or perhaps something for breakfast. Don't bring
Apple Cake as Jester's Mom has kinda cornered the market on that one.

*If you're going to drink, please BYOB as Billville sponsored events certainly
condone alcohol but we generally refrain from providing it. Except Matty,
of course, who has a special dispensation from the Knob Creek people, and
does his absolute best every year to keep that company solvent.

*We will in all likelihood be at the Glencliff Hostel so there will be some bunk
spaces inside; many folks, tho, will likley be tenting, so bring lots of warm
clothes. Early December can get pretty nippy in New Hampshire.

*Finally, if you're in a position to do so, consider sending Blister a donation
to help with the shopping. Over the years, this event has pretty much
been thrown by a handful of people, but as our numbers increase, and the
quantity and quality of the food goes up, unfortunately, so have our
expenses. Anyone that feels like pitching in here, thanx in advance!

*Anyway, hope to see many of you there for part or all of the weekend (30
November-2 December will be the dates, with most stuff happening on
Saturday).

*Well mannered pets, Southbounders, and liberals are of course welcome at
Billville functions; regrettably, at this time drummers and contra dancers
would do well to dine elsewhere. And feel free to bring your honeys or
sweeties along for the weekend; they are certainly most welcome. In fact,
Jester has made it clear that he prefers that you send them up here by
themselves, but that's entirely up to you.

Tin Man
10-26-2007, 23:02
Jack, Will Packrat, Ffeg, and Big John be there?

Jack Tarlin
10-27-2007, 12:50
Well, I assume so as the first two live there in Glencliff, and John lives down the road.

Unless they have other obligations, I hope to see them there.

mweinstone
10-31-2007, 16:46
im a turkey.

Tin Man
10-31-2007, 16:51
Well, I assume so as the first two live there in Glencliff, and John lives down the road.

Unless they have other obligations, I hope to see them there.

I was asking because Packrat splits his time between the Hostel, CT and hiking long trails.

mweinstone
10-31-2007, 16:59
no stolen wifi makes homer mad. i mean drink. welcom fellow trash and trashers. it is my honor to welcome you to my thread. its all mine. i am a dictator. this is not a democratic thread. what i say goes. i say,.........eat! eat and cook and sleep and drink and eat and sleep and cook and drink and drunk and ate and cooked and crash and wake and drive and bum and work. these are your orders. exsept for the opptional drinking drunk part. you can stop when your drunk if you wish. first order of buissness is my cheese wheel. last year it was the unsung hero of the snack table. it may not return. it was too unsung. im auditioning different treets to replace him. my assorted jiffypop with toppings was a weird failure. you cant overide the exscruciatingly butter soaked kernals with meer carmel or chocolate. that crap repels better than tompsons water seal. and the others were worse. this year im entering a winner to the potluck. its simple yet genius. its discusting yet addictive and only affects long distance hikers. it sells for pennies a pound and travels well crushed. i will require a large salade bowl and tossing tongs for my tossed rammen and chicken packet duo.no more no less. i dare anyone not to gather about my bowl of iniquity and not laugh and taste. i feel this recipie has been frouned on and shamed simmeraly to my own treatment by a sociaty not yet ready for prime time jesus freaks such as my self. insane? yes. criminally brilliant? working on it. lex lutherlike? possibly. but with hair. trick or treat my peeps!

Lone Wolf
10-31-2007, 19:23
i tricked some SOBOs earlier into coming by my place for treats. they arrived, i said, APRIL FOOLS. go to The Place

A-Train
10-31-2007, 19:32
Mathewbro, you take constant stream of thought to a whole new level. See you at Glencliff

Mr. Pumpy
10-31-2007, 20:57
Sheneequa and I will be attending this shindig, and we will be coming up that way on Thursday night. If anyone is in the area and has somewhere for us to stay then give a holler. I have no problem staying in Glencliff, but I figure if no one is really around yet it could be a good time to spend Thursday night somewhere else. I may split the drive up and stay in Killington otherwise. Could anyone tell me if <ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/ /><st1:PlaceType w:st=Mt.</st1:PlaceType> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Moosilauke </st1:PlaceName></ST1:pis usually insane that time of year? Am I crazy to think I could do the Glencliff Trail and then down the steep <ST1:p<st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Beaver</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Brook</st1:PlaceType> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Trail </st1:PlaceName></ST1:pto 112 without breaking my neck? Someone please advise this city boy. Thanks in advance. See you MOFOs there.

Pumpy
<O:p
It was when I found out I could make mistakes that I knew I was on to something. <O:p
-Ornette Coleman

bfitz
11-01-2007, 13:00
nah. i don't do hiker feeds.This ain't no hiker feed. Nobody eating is hiking, anyhow....This is a party. Or an escape from the family tragedy that is thanksgiving. Or whatever you want to call it. So watch "Home For The Holidays" on DVD and then come up. Unless you're afraid of the poteen....(or chocolate pudding shooters, or whatever...)

RedneckRye
11-01-2007, 22:44
It bumbs me out to know that I wil be missing both The Dude and Mr Pumpy, aka the Billville Metal Crew. Not to mention missing Trashgiving in general for the sixth or seventh or whateverth time.
I'll be expecting a phone call or 6.
Someone eject one of Jack's Springsteen or John Cash disc and pop in some Maiden or Slayer for me.
RYE

gold bond
11-02-2007, 08:41
All of us hikers in this area start cooking turkeys and other foods (all donated by us) on Tuesday, pack them all day Wednesday and deliver them on thanksgiving day to shut ins and the elderly that can't get out or do not have family.
Don't we have enough hiker gatherings that revovle around us?
To do somehting like that would give a whole new meaning and tradition to "trashgiving" wouldn't it?
Please do not take my statement wrong, there is no malice intended nor am I trying to ruffle any feathers, just a thought.

Tin Man
11-02-2007, 08:46
All of us hikers in this area start cooking turkeys and other foods (all donated by us) on Tuesday, pack them all day Wednesday and deliver them on thanksgiving day to shut ins and the elderly that can't get out or do not have family.
To do somehting like that would give a whole new meaning and tradition to "trashgiving" wouldn't it?
Please do not take my statement wrong, there is no malice intended nor am I trying to ruffle any feathers, just a thought.

If you check the dates, you will find that Trashgiving is the weekend after Thanksgiving, so you could do both.

Jack Tarlin
11-02-2007, 14:18
Gold Bond.....

I'm not offended by your post, just kind of surprised at it. Fact is, where I live, I know of people who've contacted shelters, churches, etc. at Thanksgiving time to offer their volunteer services for the day and have been told "Thanks but we have everyone we need for the day.......but if you'd lke to come by in a week or two, we have all sorts of projects going on." And of course, most of these folks never call back; they wanna serve turkey on Thanksgiving to winos or whatever but if the exact same place needs folks the following week to paint a bunkroom or steam clean mattresses, nobody's interested.

Don't get me wrong, Gold Bond. You made a great point, but if people want to do charitable deeds and good works, they don't merely have to do it an Thanksgiving......there are 364 other days every year where poor or old or disabled or homeless people need a hand or a kind word.

So folks should by all means get involved with local charities or see what kind of volunteer help their local church or hospital or veterans or senior center might need, and they should, if they have the time, stay involved all year long. My church has stuff going all year 'round, and I help out the local food bank and humane society whenever I can......not just on Thanksgiving Day. I'm also working on a local project to help people register to vote and get them to the polls, especially older ones, or folks without cars.

But as for feeling all guilty because I'm planning on spending an upcoming weekend with friends I only get to see two or three times a year (and for me, this is the only Thanksgiving I'm gonna hav, as I essentially have no family)......well sorry, Gold Bond, but I'm not gonna get guilt-tripped about enjoying Trashgiving weekend; on the contrary, I'm really looking forward to it.

Oh, and we generally do some volunteer or Trail work over the weekend, so Trashgiving is not entirely a selfish enterprise.....most of the weekend does indeed revolve around us (helluva phrase there, Gold Bond!) but not all of it does.

Tin Man
11-02-2007, 14:50
I'm also working on a local project to help people register to vote and get them to the polls, especially older ones, or folks without cars.

This wouldn't happen to be for one particular party, would it Jack? ;)

Just teasing; I know you are involved in a lot of charitable work. :)

Blister
11-03-2007, 13:21
As Jack has mentioned there will weather permitting be a trail maintenance trip planned for this particular weekend. Hillwalker are you out there - shoot me a line. Anyhow Billville has always tried to make an effort to volunteer during all of our yearly get togethers. For the last couple of years we have lead a large group of people down to ironmasters hostel for the yearly ALDHA worktrip. Billville as a group has volunteered as major key set up and break down folks for the town of Damascus. and so on and so forth, many of us volunteer for other organizations on our own accord, believe it or not there are a lot of big hearted folks who care and act in Billville. This is a family gathering of our hiker family. Trashgiving does wonders for my own personal health as I do succumb to depression here in the winter months, an opportunity to see my family (like Jack, I neither have any family ties remaining to celebrate holidays with and usually spend them alone) this one get together cheers my spirits immensley, helps me get through my most depressing season. Perhaps my friends are helping the needy, the needy just happens to be me. I never thought about it that way, thanks guys!

Jack Tarlin
11-03-2007, 15:57
Just a quick note....looks a bunch of folks will be at my place in Hanover Thursday before Trashgiving, life Bfitz, maybe the Goat, Matty, etc. I'll be at work til 10 but anyone who wants to is welcome to find us at 5-Olde after 10,
stay over, and then we'll head all up to Glencliff sometime Friday morning.

Dogs and Southboounders are welcome on the property; drummers, contra dancers, and Ron Paul supporters will wish to make other arrangements.

Jester2000
11-05-2007, 21:33

Um. Cram it.

smokymtnsteve
11-05-2007, 21:37
Um. Cram it.

STUFF IT;)

Jack Tarlin
11-06-2007, 15:20
Geez, I thought I pretty much had it covered in Post #41 above, but Jester said it a whole lot better.

Pithy and to the point.

Touche.

There's absoluely nothing wrong with getting together with friends and loved ones on Thanksgiving or just after it, and being thankful that you've got them. As a matter of fact, I sorta thought that's what the Holiday was all about. :-?

Lone Wolf
11-06-2007, 15:23
Geez, I thought I pretty much had it covered in Post #41 above, but Jester said it a whole lot better.

Pithy and to the point.

Touche.

There's absoluely nothing wrong with getting together with friends and loved ones on Thanksgiving or just after it, and being thankful that you've got them. As a matter of fact, I sorta thought that's what the Holiday was all about. :-?

damn right. i'm probably gonna roast a 12lb. turkey all for myself on turkey day. i ain't invitin' nobody

Jack Tarlin
11-06-2007, 15:26
Cool. And the next weekend, you and Gypsy could head up 91, meet up with Bfitz and Goat or Jester in Northern Virginia or Pennsylvania; carpool with them, and spend the weekend in New Hampshire. We'd love to have you.

Lone Wolf
11-06-2007, 15:27
Cool. And the next weekend, you and Gypsy could head up 91, meet up with Bfitz and Goat or Jester in Northern Virginia or Pennsylvania; carpool with them, and spend the weekend in New Hampshire. We'd love to have you.

nah. too far. gypsy has to work and i ain't carpooling with smokers. going to ron haven's anyway

Jack Tarlin
11-06-2007, 15:31
Some of us don't smoke any more! :D

max patch
11-06-2007, 15:33
Some of us don't smoke any more! :D

Thats great news. Good luck.

gold bond
11-06-2007, 20:28
Wasn't trying or intending to offend anyone...geez!
Jack, I and my family do as much as we can all year round. I'm so sorry if you or friends of yours have been turned away when they have tried to help...that's sad. You can only do what you can do!
See you all at SR!

bfitz
11-07-2007, 06:01
It bumbs me out to know that I wil be missing both The Dude and Mr Pumpy, aka the Billville Metal Crew. Not to mention missing Trashgiving in general for the sixth or seventh or whateverth time.
I'll be expecting a phone call or 6.
Someone eject one of Jack's Springsteen or John Cash disc and pop in some Maiden or Slayer for me.
RYE
You can be sure I've rammed plenty of metal down Jack's throat (I think he's starting to become a King Diamond fan) but I will show him no mercy at trashgiving. (I'm trying to imagine Jack cooking a lasagna with king diamond blasting in the kitchen instead of the usual Bruce Cash medley...brings new meaning to the word "hilarifying")

Okay all you poseurs....go google King Diamond. Grandmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, Redneck...that was "Killswitch Engage" covering Holy Diver.

Blister
11-07-2007, 15:49
Just a note to my few loyal followers, thrashgiving is 3 weeks away. I have received 40 dollars in donations and will be diving into my personal savings account after borrowing money from someone to pay this months rent. Unless I can get some more support relatively soon, all the shopping and supplies need to be purchased before that weekend, and I normally start the baking a week in advance, there might only be enough food to feed Jack. Here's the question, should I consider canceling???? If this should happen I will return the 2 donations that I have received.

warraghiyagey
11-07-2007, 15:53
Just a note to my few loyal followers, thrashgiving is 3 weeks away. I have received 40 dollars in donations and will be diving into my personal savings account after borrowing money from someone to pay this months rent. Unless I can get some more support relatively soon, all the shopping and supplies need to be purchased before that weekend, and I normally start the baking a week in advance, there might only be enough food to feed Jack. Here's the question, should I consider canceling???? If this should happen I will return the 2 donations that I have received.

Hey Sis, love what you are doing here. What if you got commitments from all invitees on attendance and supplies. Wish I could be there with the good folk and I hope it works out. :) :) :)

Lone Wolf
11-07-2007, 15:54
cancel and come south to franklin for ron haven's get-to-gether

Blister
11-07-2007, 16:04
Hey Sis, love what you are doing here. What if you got commitments from all invitees on attendance and supplies. Wish I could be there with the good folk and I hope it works out. :) :) :)

It takes a lot of planning to start feeding people on friday through sunday. If I do not have money I cannot buy the food to feed the people. All the donations that I recieve in the donation jar go straight to the hostel as a thanks for letting us use the facilities. The rest which has usually run about 600 dollars comes out of just a couple of pockets, unfortunatley this year my pockets have more lint than spending money. LW I wouldn't be able to afford the gas money!

Lone Wolf
11-07-2007, 16:07
charge a set fee then. say $40 a head for the weekend. you know hikers are notoriously cheap and it's always a few that pay for the most

warraghiyagey
11-07-2007, 16:16
It takes a lot of planning to start feeding people on friday through sunday. If I do not have money I cannot buy the food to feed the people. All the donations that I recieve in the donation jar go straight to the hostel as a thanks for letting us use the facilities. The rest which has usually run about 600 dollars comes out of just a couple of pockets, unfortunatley this year my pockets have more lint than spending money. LW I wouldn't be able to afford the gas money!

Oh. . . well, poop. Hope it all works out somehow.:) :)

Blister
11-07-2007, 16:19
charge a set fee then. say $40 a head for the weekend. you know hikers are notoriously cheap and it's always a few that pay for the most

Its not like I can wait until they show up and run out to the grocery store once I am handed money. Its a catered event and I am the caterer last year for over 100 people on saturday and unfortunately grocery stores do not take IOU's. I begin cooking homemade goods more than a week in advance. I don't know what to do. Thanks for the suggestion though. Maybe I can use the idea next year and avoid the stress I am feeling now.

the goat
11-07-2007, 19:51
check is in the mail!

come on all you other johnny-come-latlely's......PONY UP!!!

Mr. Pumpy
11-08-2007, 12:49
You can be sure I've rammed plenty of metal down Jack's throat (I think he's starting to become a King Diamond fan) but I will show him no mercy at trashgiving. (I'm trying to imagine Jack cooking a lasagna with king diamond blasting in the kitchen instead of the usual Bruce Cash medley...brings new meaning to the word "hilarifying")

Okay all you poseurs....go google King Diamond. Grandmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude...good call on the King Diamond. However...I will never be able to recapture the awe of his satanic screeching as the days when I was about 12 and I sat in shocked horror while listening to Melissa. Sadly...in the era of Hot Topics and tattoos for the Amish, even the chaos of the great Dark Lord himself has been gentrified and commodified. Belial must be shaking his Enochian fist in utter disgust! Hail Wal-Mart!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Mr. Pumpy
11-08-2007, 12:51
Ok...admittedly, I've been too lax in sending my contribution. I e-mailed BS and said it's coming right over. Let's make this happen. I'm going to send upwards of $50. Just putting that out there. Come on people...get it together. Sister, have you considered setting up a Paypal donation link? I just clicked around on the site for a minute and it looks fairly simple. All of us youngsters that are afraid of licking a stamp and mailing something could pay with our credit/check cards and you’ll have the funds immediately. Something to consider.

Blister
11-08-2007, 16:02
I have had trouble in the past with pay pal, I had an account set up at one time, I hadn't used it in over a year and I received an email from them that my account was in negative balance with suspicious activity. I don't really know what happened. Ever since then I have been unable to set up another account with my bank account, almost like the set up is red flagged or something.

Uncle Silly
11-08-2007, 19:06
I have had trouble in the past with pay pal, I had an account set up at one time, I hadn't used it in over a year and I received an email from them that my account was in negative balance with suspicious activity. I don't really know what happened. Ever since then I have been unable to set up another account with my bank account, almost like the set up is red flagged or something.

That sounds likely, you'd have to use another bank account, or figure out what was up with your original paypal account. If you don't already have another bank account handy it's probably not worth the trouble to set one up.

Mr. Pumpy
11-09-2007, 11:07
To further quote The Goat...

PONY UP!!!

Miss Janet
11-09-2007, 11:54
HELLO TRASHY PEOPLE!

Only to Billville people and to my friends at the Honky Tonk can I get away with a greeting like that!

I just wanted to drop a note and wish you all a great Thanksgiving with your families and then a fun Trashgiving with all the gang. I will be thinking about you guys... I do a lot of thinking about my friends these days... I will also be looking forward to play by play phone calls when the Tarlin Toss begins!

I wish I was closer but you are just toooo far away.

DavidNH
11-09-2007, 13:11
I've done trashgiving twice. That's enough. so I will pass this up.

David

the goat
11-09-2007, 17:06
I've done trashgiving twice. That's enough. so I will pass this up.

you seemed to enjoy everything last year.:confused:

A-Train
11-09-2007, 17:49
Not sure if anyone is a bluegrass fan, but Hot Buttered Rum string band are playing the nights of 11/29 and 30 at the Stone Church in Newmarket NH about 2 hrs from Glencliff. Am gonna try to go to one of the shows before Trashgiving. Let me know if you'd like to come to the show. These guys are awesome!

And to Blister: Would I be able to sign up for bringing a few food dishes and bringing bevrages in lieu of sending a donation? Much like yourself i'm in a similar boat, coming off a thru-hike, and being unemployed now-to say the funds are low is an understatement. Heck with gas being well over 3bucks in NY right now, i'm not sure i can afford to come. Hope so!

Jack Tarlin
11-09-2007, 17:58
Gee, David, sorry you had such a bad time.

I guess we'll just have to cope with friends and guests who DON'T think twice is enough.

Somehow, tho, I'm sure we'll get by........ :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
11-09-2007, 18:17
Holey Smoley, we're down to under three weeks! Just a quick reminder to folks that there will probably be a number of people convening at 5-Olde in downtown Hanover Thursday evening (the 29th), crashing out at my place later that night, and then we're heading up to Glencliff sometime late Friday morning or early afternoon. Anyone who wishes to is welcome to join us.

And yet another reminder.....if you think you're going to be attending or want to help out with the event, please get in touch with Blister; all of her contact information can be found on Post #15 of this thread.

Sheneequa
11-09-2007, 18:25
I'm in. $50 is on it's way from Mr. Pumpy & me.

Jack Tarlin
11-09-2007, 18:27
Cool! Bring the fifty and leave Pumpy at home and you're on line for a great weekend!! :D

Jack Tarlin
11-15-2007, 15:49
Just got a great E-Mail from Blister. Looks like we're going to have a great turnout in Glencliff, hope to see lots of you two weeks from tomorrow, which is not that far off! If you're coming, don't forget to let her know; all her contact information can be found on Post #15 of this thread.

Blister
11-15-2007, 15:54
Little by little it looks like I will be able to pull this thing off. I definatley suggest people car pooling with the gas prices!!!! Twice is enough,,, three times is usually a charm, your loss.
The menu is being pulled together to please meat eaters and vegetarians alike. Some of the usual favorites are still on the menu, looking something like this

Friday Night (for the early arrivals):

Ginger infused squash soup (vegetarian)
> served with homemade sweet breads and honey butter
Homemade meatballs
> served with garlic toast and fresh grated cheese
Roasted Corn Chowder
> this is not vegetarian, mmmmm bacon (a huge hit last year) served with fresh bread and herb infused goat cheese

Not to mention an assortment of other baked goods to satisfy sweet tooths. I prepare these dishes so I can look forward to the arrivals and have them set in crock pots, leaving my time to prepare for the next days festivities. Another round of the same items will be available during the early afternoon hours on Saturday prior to the main event.

Saturday morning:
Fruit salad
Fresh baked muffins/coffee cakes
Biscuits and sausage gravy
Lots of coffee
Juice

Upon return from Saturdays planned activity:
Saturday afternoon will please the grazers with items like
bacon wrapped scallops
shrimp cocktail
fruit/veggie trays with dip
and more.....

The main event: Traditional Trashgiving Dinner

Traditional Roasted Turkey with Stuffing
Cajun rubbed deep fried turkey
Mashed garlic potatoes
boat loads of gravy - we never run out!!!
Green bean casserole - hey its good!
Typical variations of root veggies prepared right
Cheese Lasagna - for the vegetarians with a fresh seasonal salad

The desserts will range from Jesters mom's favorites along with homemade pies, cakes and perhaps some inventive cheesecake recipes I will be trying if time prevails.

Sunday morning will hold a breakfast fit for all the kings and queens. To go containers will have been prepared the night before to take along leftovers (if there are any) to remember the weekend by.

PS - Jack - don't bring as many bagels this year :)

RSVP's should go straight to my pm box please, it is good to have an idea of the numbers ahead of time - thanks everyone!!!

Sly
11-15-2007, 16:14
Just got a great E-Mail from Blister. Looks like we're going to have a great turnout in Glencliff, hope to see lots of you two weeks from tomorrow, which is not that far off!

How many usually show up?

warraghiyagey
11-15-2007, 16:19
Anybody heading up from eastern Mass?

A-Train
11-15-2007, 16:21
How many usually show up?

I think someone said there were as many as 100 there on saturday (not all at one time) but it seemed more like 30-40 for dinner and sleepover on saturday evening.

Panzer1
11-15-2007, 21:47
*We will in all likelihood be at the Glencliff Hostel so there will be some bunk
spaces inside; many folks, tho, will likley be tenting, so bring lots of warm
clothes. Early December can get pretty nippy in New Hampshire.

Can anyone tell me what the camping accomidations are like? I usually prefer to tent.

Panzer

Jack Tarlin
11-15-2007, 21:52
Big back yard right behind the hostel, tons of room for tents of any size, plus you can tarp or hammock.

Panzer1
11-16-2007, 00:21
If I tented there in December, would people think I was strange.

Panzer

RedneckRye
11-16-2007, 00:41
If I tented there in December, would people think I was strange.

Panzer

Tent, hammock, or sleep in the hostel - someone will think you are strange.
But who cares what they think. Just show up and enjoy yourself.
I'm stuck here in Ohio at work.
I wish I could hang a hammock inside my tent inside the hostel and read people's mind's to see what they think.

chomp
11-16-2007, 10:21
As for carpooling... I'll be leaving from Concord, NH at 5 PM and heading back on Sunday, either right after breakfast if the weather is iffy, or going for a quick hike if its nice (like Mt Cube). I'll be doing a longish hike on Saturday if the weather cooporates (think Moosilaukie-Kinsmans-Liberty.. something like that).

Plus, if you don't want to wait for me to go hike, I'm sure there will be other people driving through Concord on their way home. People can leave their cars at my office over the weekend, it is a very safe place to park. Let me know if anyone wants a lift.

chomp

mweinstone
11-16-2007, 11:51
bluup fruit morbid custerd and mr olearys cow drank phosphorus and christmas trees in the door.foosk snot sner buddy. heem weems and heem hos abound. drunken dweebfest outlaws of a forbbidon world wide webbing from spidys pits.cannary yellow snoof wurt on rye with blue. cooseface.

Jack Tarlin
11-16-2007, 15:47
Panzer asked above, if he were to tent in Glencliff in December, would people think he was strange?

Geez, I hate to break it to you, Panzer, but people already think you're kinda strange. Where you elect to sleep won't really change things much. :D

See ya in 2 weeks!

Panzer1
11-19-2007, 23:57
I got Trashgiving Friday and Monday off.
I also got Thanksgiving Thursday and Friday off.
yeaaaaaaaa

Panzer

mweinstone
11-20-2007, 12:57
so,... are you saying you get off alot? this lends creadence to jacks theory. panzer is normal. normaly .

heres a thaught,....man its been awhile since i had food. will their be a drunken chick like last year who was so forward ,...well ,..we all saw. it was cool to watch the effects of small amounts of alcohol on largly unsuspecting watchees.

mweinstone
11-20-2007, 13:03
dear miss janet. what would it take to put you in new hampshire eating turkey and being loved? would money do it? how bout the ability to teleport? cause if theirs any way,.....i could help by chidding and scornning you about it if you need. rick parragrin from san fran may come. i hope so. jack is bringing as many bagels as it takes to piss folks off. you have messed with the wrong bagel bringger by suggesting that bagels are less than gods of the food bag kingdom. jack was so polite about his bagel bringging last year. i recall clearly how he directed people to the freash ones first. and i remember him stuffing the last ones in peoples bags as we left. never was such baglelove displayed so freely.

mweinstone
11-20-2007, 13:11
in my absence while my computer was being fixed and my neighbors were securing their routers,....you have all failed me miserably. this site has filled up with unfunnyness and correct spelling. this injustuce will be rectafied imediatly with a strong dose of matthewski. we will begin by disscussing the objectives of trashgiving. in the next five years my child, we will study the twelve dimentions of blisters beauty and the future of turkey. at trashgiving you will be stronger. you will live longer than the natives of thanksgiving. your trashgiving birth and our trashgiving sun will make you faster and almost indestructable. your mother and i will be with you thru the power of the red billvilian crystal and jacks compound. there you may find rest and answers about your new world. use the compound my child. new hampshire and trashgiving are your new home. goodby kalel.

Lone Wolf
11-20-2007, 13:15
ronhaven'sfranklinbash is us suthern folkses trashgivin barbachew for all!

mweinstone
11-20-2007, 13:25
lonewolf is our future. were all headed that way. soon,.. the world will be all wolves. only gypsy can save him. and us.

by comming to trashgiving where he belongs. with his fellow loners. with his one liners. his beard comb,...and gypsy. if i had one wish, idd make lonewolf into a hippy jesus freak hikerslouch like me.

A-Train
11-20-2007, 14:24
lonewolf is our future. were all headed that way. soon,.. the world will be all wolves. only gypsy can save him. and us.

If that is the case Matt, we're all f*****!

Panzer1
11-20-2007, 14:51
Is anyone planning a side trip to Franconia Notch or Mount Washington.

Panzer

mweinstone
11-21-2007, 14:05
dearly beloved hikerdom and friends,
im writing to you all dear peeps from the lavish luxury of my lex lutherlike lair deep in the heart of the human jungle we call south philly. it is here that solace serves up her simple appitizers devoured by the gakkelfull each time the mood and knob creeks 100 proof give me cause to feast. and feast we must!
what is thanksgiving? is it a spit in the eye of starving children everywhere that we eat without humanity in attendance? is it a wonderfull creative exspression of love and kindness carryied on in goodness by its carryers? (third gunshot of this pm sounds outside my widow here at 16th and snyder.) yes. to b. it is a wonderfull bla bla bla. but the spit in the eye of children starving? its a myth. spit be not the cause nor reason of strife. it is still adams sin that plauges us all. im sorry to prostelatize here. but it makes damm good post. and lord knows im starved for attention and still following the advice of a hiker, to be contravercial if i want an audience. and i want you all. to hear my words.......HAPPY THANKSGIVING MY LOVES.

answer: the hiker was ms

mweinstone
11-21-2007, 14:06
i may be going on a journey far far away.

these are my specific instructions in the event of my disaperence. number one keep hikeing and keep posting on this wonderful site. number two dont forget to count your blessings and for gods sake try to asign a creator to your own exsplanation of the universe. number three will be tough. i need you all to memorize this phrase and use it if you ever meet someone you think may hold secrets you need to learn,...” i am the worlds largest human being.” concider it a test question if you ever feel youve fallen in with agents involved with saveing the world and they dont know if they can trust you,.....just say it. number four. i need you all to wright a note to your god and ask for more turkeys. enough for all the peoples of earth to wade knee deep in roasted turkey. and finally number five. i need you to forgive baltimore jack as you wish to be forgivin. when i see you at trashgiving, ill be the one with the homer simpson,”no time to talk! eating!” attitude. this is matthewski,....out.

mweinstone
11-21-2007, 14:07
turkameens contained in turkeymeat cause drowsyness in people. thats a scientific idea. i reserve the use of the word “fact” for talking of god. anywhay,...if turkameens were snortable in powder form,.....would they outlaw it? and what do they think outlawing lists of words in head shops? pot reef bong roach snort chop grind bowl resin!.. is what we used to screem at the workers on break outside the shop as we biked by. its wrong to outlaw words and turkey in the same existance. im just sayin.........

yes,..........crandburry still resides in all our hearts as number one in the thanksgiving arsenal of condements and gravys and jellys and,..flavin!!!!! with the wings and women and the blurtgoop flarvin!!!!!!!!!!

time for our featured artical,.....SPELLED RIGHT with your host,........me! tonights well spelled poll is:
TURKEY! WHITE MEAT OR DARK?
answers must be in 100 words or less.
i am so dark . all dark. all the time. brest sucks. legs rule. i like the weirdo parts all underneath and un reconizable from common shrappnell wounds. none of that park avenue tv sliced and artificially sprayed breast slices for me thank you . keep you pictire perfect weirdo whitemeat to your side of the hostel. give me your sick. your poor. your sloppy of cut. im the damm statue of libertys boyfriend. well dad maby, i think i just remembered shes ugly. but anyway, dark. dark like rotting corpses of turkey vultures with rotting corpses in their guts. i want gut meat.
vegitarians,...i dare you to film me . show me to your meat weinnie friends. ill show you carnivore!!!!!!!!

rant 1212 ends.

Blister
11-21-2007, 14:09
shopping, cooking, baking, freezing, shopping cooking baking eating, shopping, cooking baking freezing, gettin it all ready for the event. working on the lasagna, meatballs, squash soup, sweat breads, jalepeno cornbread and chilli today, freezing it up for the next week so it will be ready to pop in the oven. On an early early post did someone, mathewski??? say you were supplying the deep fryer with oil???? Added stress some hostel hot water issue, wont deliver propane till its switched over what do I know about hot water heaters???? NOTHING! hopefully will all fall into place, not to mention I am moving, buzy, stressful, busy chaos! But we will soon all be together and it will be good! Head who said head!

Lone Wolf
11-21-2007, 14:13
we love you unconditionally my son, gypsy and i

mweinstone
11-21-2007, 14:15
im buying the fryer only if i have a ride with dude. as far as the propane and oil,....well, i may reserve the right to bring an empty tank and no oil. but that wont be a problem will it? we could fill it and get oil up there right? it also need to be priced right and so ill decide by next wed at noon by the latest. i reserve the right to reserve rights. ill do my best. money as allways is the issue. if i cant afford the propane and the oil, and if no one offers to do it up there, then you get a useless fryer as a gift. still cool in my world. bottom line, i cant be counted on but will give it my best shot.

Blister
11-21-2007, 14:51
I will get the oil for the boiling of the bird as long as I know there is a fryer coming or should I just purchase a whole fryer kit at wally world, as for the propane for the rest of the dinner I think I am just going to have to have a number of small tanks full on hand to do the cooking and keep switching them out as the oven uses them up. The propane company will not deliver to the big house tank until the hot water thingy has been switched over. blah blah blah blah blah

mweinstone
11-24-2007, 13:13
the px5000 btf , or billvillian turky fryer as shes known,...is launch ready. all assembly complete. oil and propane tank on your verbal orders mamm. otherwise, take her out mr sulu. as a non reader, i get about most of my education from instructions. heres what we’ve learned.
tank goes 3 feet down wind. turkey takes 3.5 mins per pound at 350 degrees frying. lower dry bird slowly. turn off burner when removeing bird. hose must hang down under connection to burnner. never up or to the side. light from hole under center of burner. turkey is 180 degres at thigh inside meat temp when done. lower in breast. never fill oil above fill line on outside of pot. allways cook with a fire extinguisher nearby. wash new pot before first use. other than that, just imitate mala. wear gloves and apron.
im not cooking or lighting this thing. im a pussy about fire and gas and boiling oil. so whos the cook? and how many turkeys do we have? mala said use peanut oil only. i love mala. hes goin to franklin with miss janet to rons. he says high and wants calls when we do drunken dialing. i got his #. the directions are wrong if anyone cares. they left out the burnner instalation part and just start with a picture of the burnner installed. oh china....when will you learn,......we love your creations even with faulty direction.? dont feel shame. this is a proud cooker and pot. america thanks you. and your invited for turkey. because its better than nucler war. with gravy. we got alot of gravy. gravys up to 50 dollars a barrel. wow. makes ya think. makes ya think. im off to get more crap for our feast. maby some funney foods. the kind too sick to eat, but great for conversation . like,......oh,.....i was thinking of horsetail licorice or popcorn. death by popcorn would be so right. i want to detonate popcorn in a large, carpet bombing style manner. i want to melt butter with a giant parabolic dish and feed millions popcorn untill a toothpick/floss crissis breaks out killing all the bad people leaving only tru worshipers of the corn. i want jiffypop to come out with a dangerously large and powerful campfire crowd version of jiffypop. it should be about as large as a very large pizza and about four times as thick as regular jiffypop. it will require four handles for two people to shake useing both hands. it should puff up to the astonishing height of 6 feet when popped. and it should feed one hundred hikers well or 12 to their death.it should have pack straps and a waistbelt and a haul loop. each month a victorias secret catalog girl must adorn the package top and when removed turnes into a circular poster suitable for frameing. gotta go!xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxmatty

Sly
11-24-2007, 14:01
One more week, I'll have to call y'all from Trashgiving south in Franklin!

Jack Tarlin
11-24-2007, 14:31
Matty:

Lemme know your travel plans. Some folks are planning to convene in Hanover Thursday night and head up to Glencliff sometime Friday. Talk to Bfitz or the Goat and lemme know what's up.

Jack Tarlin
11-24-2007, 16:22
Just a quick reminder, especially to people new to this thread: We'll be getting together in Glencliff NH for our annual hiker post-Thanksgiving get-together at the end of this week. Everyone's welcome of course, tho if you're coming, or coming with extra folks, lease get in touch with Blister and RSVP (her contact info is Post #15 of this thread). It really helps her a lot if she knows how many are expected, more or less.

Hope to see lots of you at the end of the week!

Kirby
11-24-2007, 17:51
Hmmm. that would be nice, if you are solo with no car, what would be the best way to get there? I would love to go, but I don't have a car, so it is difficult, drop me a PM on the best way.

Thanks,
Kirby

Lone Wolf
11-24-2007, 18:42
if you are solo with no car, what would be the best way to get there?

mom. dad. bus. walk

Kirby
11-24-2007, 18:47
Will look into option three Wolf.

Kirby

mweinstone
11-25-2007, 13:10
blister last year at trashgiving. and unknown party woman.

Blister
11-25-2007, 16:38
The cooking has begun,the plans are in motion, have I mentioned Mathewski rocks, I canbe reached at hostel as of wend night late. 603-989-0040 there is no cell coverage. Heard from Honey and Bear fromMaine, Iam toTALLY excited! signingoff via email, thread ect till trashgiving -= BLISTER BITCHEN SISTER

bfitz
11-25-2007, 16:52
Cant wait.

Sly
11-25-2007, 17:00
Looks like Blister knows her place, in the kitchen! ;)

solace
11-25-2007, 17:16
Is there a link or anything w/ time, directions to this Trashgiving?!?! me & KTR can eat for 2 slim guys.... We've been out 8 days a month here on the AT/LT in VT & MA... pretty much the die-hards out now :)

Tin Man
11-25-2007, 17:20
Is there a link or anything w/ time, directions to this Trashgiving?!?! me & KTR can eat for 2 slim guys.... We've been out 8 days a month here on the AT/LT in VT & MA... pretty much the die-hards out now :)

Take out your NH trail map and locate where the trail passes thru Glencliff. The Hikers Welcome Hostel is 0.5 miles south.

Jack Tarlin
11-25-2007, 17:31
Solace:

I don't know where you're coming from, but Glencliff is right about an hour's drive Northeast of Hanover.

If you Google "Driving Directions" you'll see all sorts of websites where you can put in your starting and ending points and figure out the driving time and best route.

Hope to see you there!

Jack Tarlin
11-26-2007, 16:23
Damn, I can't believe that people will be arriving in Hanover in three days and we'll be off to Glencliff in four! Had a great talk with Blister last night and she's making great progress with cooking and shopping, tho we still haven't a clue as how many people are actually gonna show up. Once again, if you know you're coming or you're bringing extra folks, please take a minute and drop her an RSVP. Cooking in quantity is great fun, but it really helps if you have an approximate idea of how many people are heading your way. A turkey only stretches so far..... (Late RSVPers, i.e. after Wednesday, should call Blister at the Hostel in Glencliff at (603) 989-0040).

Hope to see lots of you guys at the end of the week.

Kirby
11-26-2007, 18:43
Hey Jack:
With there be an opportunity to do some hiking? I am thinking about bringing a full backpack so I do some training on the trail near there if I go to the event. I should fine tune my semi-cold weather hiking abilities.

Kirby

Jack Tarlin
11-26-2007, 18:59
Kirby:

Assuming the weather improves by the end of the week, there will be GREAT opportunities to get in the woods and either hike, or help out on a Trail maintenance project; we do this every year. The thing about Trashgiving is people do pretty much what they like.......people that like to work with food can help out in the kitchen. People that wanna hang out by the fire can do that. People that wanna work on the Trail and get muddy can do that. And yeah, people that wanna hike can certainly do that. The hostel is located at the foot of Mt.Moosilauke, one of the most impressive mountains in New Hampshire. So yeah, definitely bring a day pack, boots, trekking poles, whatever. Just bring some good weather with you when you come.

Lone Wolf
11-26-2007, 19:20
Hey Jack:
With there be an opportunity to do some hiking? I am thinking about bringing a full backpack so I do some training on the trail near there if I go to the event. I should fine tune my semi-cold weather hiking abilities.

Kirby

dude. you're 16. you don't need to train. georgia is easy anyway. :)

Kirby
11-26-2007, 19:23

I have heard that compared to my training grounds in the Whites and Southern Maine, the trail in Georgia is "a walk in the woods", but what I need to refine is my ability to hike in snow while wearing trail runners. And besides, I have not climbed Mt.Moosilauke. which I have been meaning to do anyway.:)

Kirby

Lone Wolf
11-26-2007, 19:25
do it SOBO. you'll break a sweat

weary
11-26-2007, 20:21
True, true, true!

mweinstone
11-27-2007, 11:20
matthewskis complete trashgiving checklist:
the px 5 trillion supper glide power slide four on the floor hurst shifting pack of death . created exclusivly for matthewski by imprisoned russian pack spies, the px 5 trilllion contains one matterarium detonation device. when deployed, capable of sustaining up to 12 billion independent b o b e functions including but not limmited to:
sleeping under four pounds of bird feather. cooking relentlessly all manner of fish fowl and bacon products for a continus uninterupted caloric/fat flow. hikeing lighter and warmer than fools in a patagonia wet dream. choices including all the latest fluff. candy and chocolates and fudge and barly sugar turkeys from mullers of philadelphia round off evenings of 100 proof creek and the company of beloved trash.
seriphin and the dude at trashgiving o6.

did i mention the popcorn and licorice and fudge?

Old Hillwalker
11-27-2007, 16:19
Just a heads up on the Trail Wurk. We currently have three small projects on tap:

(1) Need 4 fit bodies to carry two 12inch by 12foot Spruce Puncheons further in on Atwell Hill Trail to their final resting place. Mostly level, about one mile of carry.

(2) Three able bodied people to notch cross logs and spike down puncheons about a quarter mile in from Rte 25A on Atwell Hill Trail. About six puncheons involved and ax work for someone. Puncheons and cross logs are already on site.

(3) The trail from the Rte 25A crossing going SOBO up to Mt. Cube has lost its adopter and needs its waterbars cleaned out for winter. (note) It may be too frozen to accomplish this, but we'll try. I have the tools for about six or more people.

All these can run simultaineously (er. at the same time)

Sly
11-27-2007, 16:55
Stealth maintenance? Or, is that at the approval of the local club/maintainer?

Jack Tarlin
11-27-2007, 18:05
Um, Sly, Hillwalker IS the maintainer in these parts, so there's nothing stealthy about it.

Calm yourself.

A-Train
11-27-2007, 18:51
Hillwalker:

Do you have an idea yet of what time these crews will assemble and go out? I'm still not sure I'll be attending but if I do, it probably won't be till saturday. I was dissapointed last year to arrive after you guys went out to work.

the goat
11-27-2007, 21:20
i call waterbar duty!!

no frozen ground can withstand the mighty goat!!!

Jack Tarlin
11-27-2007, 21:23
Yup, if it involves a bar, Goat will be there. :D

Sly
11-27-2007, 21:40
Y'all going to have umbrella drinks up there? I'm hankering for one.

Old Hillwalker
11-27-2007, 21:42
Hillwalker:

Do you have an idea yet of what time these crews will assemble and go out? I'm still not sure I'll be attending but if I do, it probably won't be till saturday. I was dissapointed last year to arrive after you guys went out to work.

When we leave to get to the trail depends upon when Blistah Sistah shoves us out the door on Saturday AM to get us out of her kitchen. Not too early however to make allowances for hangovers and late sleepers. I doubt we're looking at more than four hours of work. Probably much less. The 4 person log carrying crew will eventually meet up with the puncheon spiking crew down near Rte 25A. We will drop them off at the AT crossing of Cape Moonshine Rd. After they make the pickup and drop off of their carry, they will continue unburdoned down the 1.8 miles to where the spikers will be working near Rte 25A. At that point they are free to make snide remarks and general fun of the puncheon spiking crew happily working in the mud.

Sly
11-27-2007, 22:02
Um, Sly, Hillwalker IS the maintainer in these parts, so there's nothing stealthy about it.

Calm yourself.

Just askin' I'm calm.

Minerva
11-27-2007, 22:07
Sly come on up this weekend! It's gonna be a GREAT weekend, highs 16-20, might see some sun, might see some snow showers and I'll make you an umbrella drink or two!!:sun
MrsG

Kirby
11-27-2007, 22:09
Hey:
What time does one need to be up and on the trail to climb Mousilauke for the day, thats what I want to do.

Kirby

Sly
11-27-2007, 22:13
Sly come on up this weekend! It's gonna be a GREAT weekend, highs 16-20, might see some sun, might see some snow showers and I'll make you an umbrella drink or two!!:sun
MrsG

I'd like to. I miss being in NE. But I'm a snow bird now. :p

bfitz
11-28-2007, 00:41
Hey:
What time does one need to be up and on the trail to climb Mousilauke for the day, thats what I want to do.

KirbyYou can do it in a few hours sobo back to the hostel. I think it's 6 or 8 miles (it's in a book someplace). You don't have to get up hella early (although daylight is a minor consideration). Ill give you a ride to the drop off if no-one else is going, but no way am I climbin' that beeeyatch.

The Old Fhart
11-28-2007, 01:17
Kirby-"What time does one need to be up and on the trail to climb Mousilauke for the day, thats what I want to do."The summit of Moosilauke from Sanitarium Road is 4.1 miles with a 3200+ foot elevation gain.

A-Train
11-28-2007, 01:50
The summit of Moosilauke from Sanitarium Road is 4.1 miles with a 3200+ foot elevation gain.

Ahhhh yes, nothing like a little 3200 foot climb to cure a hangover:-?

Lone Wolf
11-28-2007, 06:41
You can do it in a few hours sobo back to the hostel. I think it's 6 or 8 miles (it's in a book someplace). You don't have to get up hella early (although daylight is a minor consideration). Ill give you a ride to the drop off if no-one else is going, but no way am I climbin' that beeeyatch.

dude. it's 9.5 miles SOBO with a 3000 ft. climb in 3.8 miles. probably gonna be a lot of ice on the trail too. gonna take more than a few hours.

Lone Wolf
11-28-2007, 06:42
Ahhhh yes, nothing like a little 3200 foot climb to cure a hangover:-?

kirby doesn't drink no demon alkyhol

Kirby
11-28-2007, 07:35
kirby doesn't drink no demon alkyhol

You are correct. Wolf has advised me to go up and down from the NOBO side, I do not have NH AT maps, so I can not look, so if anyone else has different advice, pass it along.

Kirby

Tin Man
11-28-2007, 09:16
You are correct. Wolf has advised me to go up and down from the NOBO side, I do not have NH AT maps, so I can not look, so if anyone else has different advice, pass it along.

Kirby

I did Moosilauke NOBO in May when there was still plenty of ice and snow and had no issues. It was raining just to make the ice a little more fun. It is a relatively easy 3200'.

The Old Fhart
11-28-2007, 09:30
Kirby-"Wolf has advised me to go up and down from the NOBO side, I do not have NH AT maps, so I can not look, so if anyone else has different advice, pass it along."
From the north, the route up Moosilauke is known as the Beaver Brook Trail. To get to the start of the trail on RT-112 you will have to drive some distance to the other side of the mountain from Glencliff. Also, the Beaver Brook trail is the toughest way up Moosilauke. The AMC site has this short description:
"Strenuous: The Beaver Brook Trail is the shortest, yet most difficult route to Moosilauke’s summit due to extremely steep and rough trail conditions around the Beaver Brook Cascades. The Appalachian Trail follows the Beaver Brook Trail to Kinsman Notch. Note: This trail may be extremely dangerous in icy conditions."The Glencliff Trail from Sanitarium Road (A.T.) on the south side that I mentioned before is the closest to the hostel in Glencliff and although there is a steep section below treeline it is a relatively safe trail and is your best choice. The Benton Trail from the north is the easiest by a bit but doesn't get as much use as the Glencliff Trail.

Note that if the weather is bad there is a significant amount of exposure near the summit. From the south there is about 0.8 miles of ridge walk on the old carriage road where there is no protection. I have been to the summit several times in winter and you really have to respect the conditions you might see there. Use any map program or GPS and go to N44° 01.430 W071° 49.850 to see the summit area.

Lone Wolf
11-28-2007, 10:58
that's why i advise him to hike up the NOBO side which is from glencliff

Sly
11-28-2007, 11:06
I'd rather go up steep, than down steep. Do it SOBO! :D

mweinstone
11-28-2007, 13:41
hey hilly! i am so down with carrying and snickering after the log carry. im down with that jim. totaly down. save me a yellow strap and cut me a big log. as per usuall, ive lost the second volenteer pin you gave me to replace the first one. the post is long and falls off of normal clothing. they must stick well to woolrich jackets but suck on patagonia collars. aside from my nols diploma, my dd214 , my ycc patch and my pistol, my at volenteer pin ranks high among my few keepsakes. i prommise never to loose the next one. it will be good to see you hw. your a god among old guys who listen to good rock. your a god among people your age who wish they could split and debark the mud crossers you do.

the goat goating and the dude dudeing. room 23.

Uncle Silly
11-28-2007, 16:45
Kirby, it sounds like your choices are:
1) start at Glencliff, hike NOBO up Mousilauke, turn around, hike SOBO back down; 8 mile trip.
and
2) start at Rt-112, hike SOBO across Mousilauke and down into Glencliff; @10 mile trip.

I think you can find someone at Trashgiving who'd be happy to drive you to the trailhead on Rt-112, so that's just a minor logistical problem. The bigger question is trail conditions. OF is right; the Beaver Brook trail is very steep and will be dangerous if the trail is icy. Option #1 sounds a little more flexible -- if you have to bail out due to bad trail conditions, you won't be spending the day looking for a ride back to Glencliff.

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2007, 17:11
A third alternative would be for someone to drive him to the Dartmouth Moosilauke Ravine Lodge; he could go up the mountain from there, and then hike back down the A.T. south finishing up a few tenths of a mile from the Hostel in Glencliff.

Advantages:

1. He wouldn't have to do the same miles twice.
2. It'd make for a shorter trip.
3. He wouldn't have the death climb up Beaver Brook from 112.
4. He'll summit the mountain differently than he will when he thru-hikes.

Tin Man
11-28-2007, 17:31
The death climb/descent from/to 112 is not as bad as it is cracked up to be, but then I have not done it a dozen or so times like Wolf and Jack.

While there is potential for disaster, I found the beauty of Beaver Brook and the various falls to be worth the effort. You can be safe by taking your time, watching your steps carefully and using the many handholds. You just need to take it slow. I did this NOBO in May when it was still plenty of icy, but I didn't feel that I was risking life and limb. The advice I got here prior to going gave me pause, but it really was not bad at all. Maybe I should ford the Kennebec when I get there? Oops (ducking for cover).

Lone Wolf
11-28-2007, 17:35
The death climb/descent from/to 112 is not as bad as it is cracked up to be, but then I have not done it a dozen or so times like Wolf and Jack.

Maybe I should ford the Kennebec when I get there? Oops (ducking for cover).

only bad if it's iced over

you damn right you should ford!

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2007, 17:42
Tin Man:

You're right, of course.....the Beaver Brook trail is beautiful.

And it'll STILL be beautiful, but safer and a whole lot easier, when Kirby hikes it later this summer.

Old Hillwalker
11-28-2007, 18:04
Mooselauke is currently in full winter garb. Crampons and complete winter gear is the only way I would go up there right now. The snow on the old carriage road between south and north summits will be ranging from blown off to three feet in places. Probably not snowshoe worthy yet, but soon I thinks. The road into Ravine Lodge is currently closed adding a mile or so road walk in. The trail system from the lodge can be a bit confusing for someone who is unfamiliar with the area. If he gets a ride to the lodge road, his best bet is to go up the Gorge Brook Trail to the summit and then turning left going down the carriage road to the Glencliff trail and out Sanatorium Road to Hikers' Welcome. This is not a mountain to do alone in the winter unless you are very familiar with the trails in the area. Especially with darkness falling at four thirty PM. The summit signs at the very least will be covered with rime ice and unreadable without some brisk scraping. I have been up there several times in blowing snow conditions and it's super easy to get disoriented and head down the wrong way which at this time of year can be fatal.

Uncle Silly
11-28-2007, 18:08
I hiked down the Beaver Brook trail in the pouring rain this summer. It was a very stupid thing to do; I should've stayed at the shelter and waited out the storm, but I didn't know if it would blow over and didn't have the gear to overnight. As it was I took the trail extremely slow and still busted a knee pretty hard on the way down. I felt pretty lucky to get to the road in one piece.

Climbing up it might be a little easier & safer than climbing down in icy or wet conditions, but it'll still be a rough hike. Of course, it's your decision, but if it were me, I'd probably avoid the Beaver Brook section.

Jack's Mousilauke Ravine suggestion sounds like a good one, though.

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2007, 18:16
Actually, all things considered, my suggestion was lousy.

Kirby: It is my considered opinion that you should save Moosilauke for later next summer. As an alternative, there's nice hiking on the A.T. SOUTH of Glencliff, including the miles that will be walked by folks doing the work trips.

But I'd listen to Hillwalker. Moosilauke this weekend might not be a wise choice.

Tin Man
11-28-2007, 18:26
Kirby, Unless you have crampons and extensive experience hiking on ice, listen to the others and save Moosilauke for your thru. When I hiked it, the temperatures were above freezing and it sounds like it is very icy now and will be bitterly cold this weekend. Go do some trail maintenance instead. You will feel better when you see how much maintainers have done to make your thru possible and you will appreciate that section you helped all the more.

Lone Wolf
11-28-2007, 18:27
the hell with hiking that weekend kirby. just sit around, chow down and listen to all the BS stories from all the fat, washed up hikers :D

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2007, 18:28
Wow. Does this mean Lone Wolf's gonna be there tellin' tales? :D

Lone Wolf
11-28-2007, 18:31
i'll be tellin' mine at Trashgiving-south. the only hikin' i'll be doing is to Ingles for more beer, a roundtrip distance of about 500 yards maybe. :)

Kirby
11-28-2007, 19:00
What's the trail like south of Glencliff, I want to do some hiking this weekend, but I will accept the advice of not going up Mousilauke, I will hike it next summer when I hike thru there on my thru.

Thanks everyone,
Kirby

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2007, 19:06
It's pretty; it's gentle with a few small bumps. This weekend it'll most likely be slushy and muddy, so bring plenty of warm clothes and also some clean dry ones to change into at day's end.

I dunno if this has been said lately, Kirby, but considering your age, you seem to have a good deal of common sense. Your folks evidently did a really good job.

Uncle Silly
11-28-2007, 19:12
What's the trail like south of Glencliff, I want to do some hiking this weekend, but I will accept the advice of not going up Mousilauke, I will hike it next summer when I hike thru there on my thru.

It's pretty; it's gentle with a few small bumps. This weekend it'll most likely be slushy and muddy, so bring plenty of warm clothes and also some clean dry ones to change into at day's end.

To add to that, if I recall correctly there are road crossings at 5 and 10 miles south of Glencliff along the trail -- I remember crossing NH-25A, -25C, and -25 all in the same day.

Kirby
11-28-2007, 19:14

I dunno if this has been said lately, Kirby, but considering your age, you seem to have a good deal of common sense. Your folks evidently did a really good job.

I am not one to be caught in the Whites in 1-3 foot snow drifts, cold weather, and ice on the trail, even in the summer, the whites can be harry.

Is there a road crossing between 10 and 20 miles south of Glencliff? I do not want to have to hike the same section of trail twice.

Thanks Jack,
Kirby

Tin Man
11-28-2007, 19:22
I am not one to be caught in the Whites in 1-3 foot snow drifts, cold weather, and ice on the trail, even in the summer, the whites can be harry.

Is there a road crossing between 10 and 20 miles south of Glencliff? I do not want to have to hike the same section of trail twice.

Thanks Jack,
Kirby

As Jack said, that section is gentle, but relatively boring with no real views. There may be a cool swamp or two though.

Kirby
11-28-2007, 19:58
I am thinking NH 25A to Glencliff, roughly 10 miles, 3-5 hours of hiking.

Kirby

bfitz
11-28-2007, 22:14
I am thinking NH 25A to Glencliff, roughly 10 miles, 3-5 hours of hiking.

KirbyIt's fine and fun. Nothing spectacular, but a lot easier than climing up the big moose.

Skidsteer
11-28-2007, 22:37
i'll be tellin' mine at Trashgiving-south. the only hikin' i'll be doing is to Ingles for more beer, a roundtrip distance of about 500 yards maybe. :)

If need be, I can resupply you at the corner of Wal-Mart.

Minerva
11-29-2007, 15:22
Today it’s 43* and sunny but it reads like there will be a chill in the air on Saturday for anyone outside.

Saturday
Partly sunny in the morning...then clearing. Highs in the lower 20s. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Wind chill values as low as 13 below.

I’ll stay near the kitchen, help serve hors d'oeuvres and get Sly’s umbrella drink ready. Brrr Grrrr

MrsGorp

Lone Wolf
11-29-2007, 16:33
I’ll stay near the kitchen, help serve hors d'oeuvres and get Sly’s umbrella drink ready. Brrr Grrrr

MrsGorp

that would be a hell of a trick. Sly is suppose to be in franklin on saturday.

Sly
11-29-2007, 16:42
Mrs Gorp makes a tempting offer and then there's the crush I have... :o Too bad my frequent flyer miles are all used up. :D

Kirby
11-29-2007, 16:50
Well, I am walking out the door in about half an hour for the long bus rides that will put me in Hanover, NH around 10pm tonight, unless I miss my connection bus in Boston, in which I will be in Hanover around 11:30pm, which is something I hope to avoid.

So you all in Glencliff/Hanover,
Kirby

Jester2000
11-29-2007, 23:06
Looks like Blister knows her place, in the kitchen! ;)

Man, she's gonna bust you in your Southern Rucksack.

Panzer1
11-29-2007, 23:55
Ok, Stonewall and me are leaving tomorrow morning for Trashgiving. I'm bringing 10 pounds mashed potatoes and gravy. The wife is down stairs making them right now, and Stonewall is bringing 4 pies. If anything else is needed let us know before we leave.

See you when we get there. We should be there by dark.

Panzer
ps. we will be camping out.

Panzer1
11-30-2007, 00:59
Traveling north from Philadelphia to Glencliff, Can anyone tell us about any traffic delays/road construction on I-95 or I-91 that we need to know about. We are leaving Friday morning at 10 am, if you could email before then, or after we are on the road please call cell phone 215-630-3809. Any help is appreciated.

Panzer (the driver) and Stonewall (the navigator)

TheTank
11-30-2007, 14:32
So, I know it is really late for this but is anyone headed to Trashgiving who will pass through the Albany area, and has not left yet. I am in desperate need of a ride and willing to pay some money if someone can help me out.

My car has been at the mechanics for almost 2 weeks now and despite several assurances that he knew what the problem was and will have it fixed right away it is still not working and it does not look promising that it will be today. I am royally pissed off that this guy has not been able to do anything he has said.

PLEASE HELP!

TheTank
11-30-2007, 15:36
So, I know it is really late for this but is anyone headed to Trashgiving who will pass through the Albany area, and has not left yet. I am in desperate need of a ride and willing to pay some money if someone can help me out.

My car has been at the mechanics for almost 2 weeks now and despite several assurances that he knew what the problem was and will have it fixed right away it is still not working and it does not look promising that it will be today. I am royally pissed off that this guy has not been able to do anything he has said.

PLEASE HELP!

Ok, Allow me to retract that. Apparently even though my car was not working an hour ago when I talked to the mechanic, and it was not going to be fixed, it is now all of the sudden working.

I think I am in the market for a new mechanic next time I need my car repaired.

Minerva
12-01-2007, 21:53
I posted a few pictures of what it was like to deep fry a turkey on a frosty day in New Hampshire. Check out: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=20334&c=661

Stonewall stood vigil over the process and didn't get any frostbite!

I think it reached 14* today and was somewhere in the single digits with the windchill.

THANKS BLISTER! Once again it was all delicious and the companionship excellent!

MrsGorp

Kirby
12-02-2007, 19:56
Trashgiving, on an overall level, was great! I say overall because there were low points, from my perspective, but that is not the point. The food was fantastic, thank you Blister for cook all that great food for us, and thank you to anyone who helped or brought food, it was all good.

Trail maintaining went well as well, thank you Hillwalker for rallying the troops for that.

Thanks to everyone who was there who gave me advice about the trail,
Kirby

A-Train
12-02-2007, 21:52
What were the low points?

Was sorry I wasn't able to attend this year, as I was looking forward to do so. However, finally got some work and need the money. Also with gas over $3.30 a gallon in NY, just not feasible. Hope everyone got uncomfortably full on Blisters good cooking and that the annual Tarlin Toss took place.

Kirby
12-02-2007, 22:07
What were the low points?

Nothing major enough for it to be point of discussion on this thread, if you wish to know, send me a PM.

This thread is about the good times Trashgiving has brought.

Kirby

warraghiyagey
12-03-2007, 20:47
Nothing major enough for it to be point of discussion on this thread, if you wish to know, send me a PM.

This thread is about the good times Trashgiving has brought.

Kirby
Well. . . you are the one that brought it up. :confused:

Panzer1
12-03-2007, 23:11
Well. . . you are the one that brought it up. :confused:

What happens at Trashgiving, stays at Trashgiving...

Panzer

warraghiyagey
12-03-2007, 23:11
What happens at Trashgiving, stays at Trashgiving...

Panzer

Really??? Do tell!!
:p

Stonewall
12-04-2007, 00:41
the music played all night long:D

warraghiyagey
12-04-2007, 00:44
the music played all night long:D

Hmmmph.;)

bfitz
12-04-2007, 01:26
Hmmmph.;)Surprisingly, what seemed like aaalllll night was really only til about 2am. I think we were so close to absolute zero that time actually slowed down.....

bfitz
12-04-2007, 01:27
I'm bringing an electric blanket like panzers next time head that far north. Brrrr.....

warraghiyagey
12-04-2007, 02:16
Surprisingly, what seemed like aaalllll night was really only til about 2am. I think we were so close to absolute zero that time actually slowed down.....
I was bummed to miss it. I'm only a couple hours away but, you know. . . life. Next year.

Kirby
12-04-2007, 07:34
I'm bringing an electric blanket like panzers next time head that far north. Brrrr.....

it was cold there, no doubt, even for this Mainer.

Kirby

Stonewall
12-04-2007, 09:02
ah you guys don't need electric blankets. It wasn't that bad out there

Old Hillwalker
12-04-2007, 10:00
It was chilly, but not yet brutally cold. The trail crew did a really great job installing five split log puncheons, transporting two big logs, cleaning out water bars and drainage, clearing blowdowns and busting up my precious tools. Pounding in the Chinese made rubber spikes was pretty frustrating. Any of you have trail work pictures to share?

mweinstone
12-04-2007, 15:34
heres a classic shot of what goes on at a hiker event like we had in glenncliff. panzers wonderful new tent he got and raves about. with all its abillity to withstand everest and all. being used with the panzer 5000 accesory heating pad pluged in with a 100 foot cord to the outside outlet of packrats hostle. note the lateness of morning by the full shadows and the fact that panzer slept past noon.
the brave tenters included stonewall ,tank, myself and the kid , aka, kirby. panzer was disqualifiyed for heating pad infractions. at all of 16 , kirby rode the bus from maine and braved the hour car ride from baltimore jacks house to the hostle in gleencliff. with a weirdo percentage approching 99 and fourty four one hundreths percent weird,...this normal and even headed boy is in for a weirding if he continues to join our hiking events. he volenteered for the work party and braved frozen feet with zero wineing to boot! mala would have not had cause to use the pit with this one. this one may be our last great hope . hes a johnney thunder without the skills and passion for long distance hiking,...but with lots of raw youthfull egerness to join in and study under such newly found and joined greats as sir thunder. kirby, who we wish to adopt his new name we have made for him, the kid. it must be duely noted that tank slept in the sub zero temps with no tent. only the open plank structure of the upper hostle with its famed “allways colder than the outside” , inside temperature. on saturday night , after two nights in my tent, i decided to try and break my all time sleeping temperature low, by sleeping in the hostile hostle.panzer had retreated to the basement around the wood stove and myself, the kid and tank braved the upper freezer. the thermometer on the ground floor outside the door to the warm kitchen (but still in a room with a kerosene heater going)read 5 below, celceus.at 8 pm. that was with heater going. upstairs and after the kerosene ran out,...it got to about zero farenheight or less me thinks. someone needs to look up the temp for that night and adjust for the fact that the area of glenncliff is a low valley. baltimore jack is a kind soul. he gives gifts out whenever he arrives or departs a group. he has nothing to spare and gives all he has to those he loves. he works hard to support the group and is at the center of all our good jokes and games.” balls”, on his forehead ,while he slept, was written, by the dude, and mr pumpys girlfriend, the woman who must now be refered to as, mrs pumpy. they have announced their engagement and will be married at the doyal during the winter warmer and betwween the bad hiker poetry contest and the mayors state of billville address. it will be a formal (hiker)dress required affair and will be preformed by the mayor of dunncannon , we hope. other news from new hampshire includes this small note. blister sister worked for a wonderfull time to be had by all. and it was. oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxyousist er.

mweinstone
12-04-2007, 15:36
the over the hillwalker gang! can you tell whos the ninth person?

Johnny Thunder
12-04-2007, 15:51
the over the hillwalker gang! can you tell whos the ninth person?

Yukon Cornelius?

mweinstone
12-04-2007, 16:08
v.s.a i think.

mweinstone
12-04-2007, 16:11
blow up of the ninth face of volenteerism.

chomp
12-04-2007, 17:34
It is VSA - proudly wearing her 12-0 Patriots hat. :)

yappy
12-04-2007, 17:54
soon to be 12 and ONE.. go Steelers !...

Sly
12-04-2007, 18:57

Give it up Yappy... along with a 45 points! :p

Kirby
12-04-2007, 19:25

You wish.

Matthewski:
I was more fond of "axe handle" my self, Chomp gave that to me, but never really got the word around, I might stick to that, eventually, rumor has it, I won't be a "kid".

Thanks Chomp,
16-0.

Kirby

Tin Man
12-04-2007, 19:27
I was more fond of "axe handle" my self, Chomp gave that to me, but never really got the word around, I might stick to that, eventually, rumor has it, I won't be a "kid".

Must be a story behind that one. Come on Kirby, share.

Kirby
12-04-2007, 19:55
Must be a story behind that one. Come on Kirby, share.

Of course there is. I went on the trail maintaing trip Hillwalker put together. As it was mentioned by hillwalker, we created "bog walks" across a section of trail. In order to do so, we needed to chop some dents into pieces of wood. well, towards the end of the day, as I was swinging away with the axe, it split in two, leaving a handle as one piece, and a axe head with a piece of the handle still attached. Hence the name "axe handle".

Kirby

TheTank
12-04-2007, 20:10
someone needs to look up the temp for that night and adjust for the fact that the area of glenncliff is a low valley.

According the weather channel's web site on Friday night it got to a low of 23 F, on Saturday night it got to a low of 11 F in Glencliff. I am not exactly sure where their local weather station is, so it may have been lower where we were, possibly single digits but probably not below zero.

I think if we are going for cold nights the weekend we were there does not compare to what they can have there. The average low in January is 5 F, and the record low in January of 1994 it got down to -29 F. I am glad it wasn't that cold.

Kirby
12-04-2007, 20:23
According the weather channel's web site on Friday night it got to a low of 23 F, on Saturday night it got to a low of 11 F in Glencliff. I am not exactly sure where their local weather station is, so it may have been lower where we were, possibly single digits but probably not below zero.

I think if we are going for cold nights the weekend we were there does not compare to what they can have there. The average low in January is 5 F, and the record low in January of 1994 it got down to -29 F. I am glad it wasn't that cold.

Were you as cold as I was saturday night? It felt quite cold, maybe it was because my sleeping bag is rated 20 degrees, thought it would be fine.

Kirby

TheTank
12-04-2007, 20:55
Were you as cold as I was saturday night? It felt quite cold, maybe it was because my sleeping bag is rated 20 degrees, thought it would be fine.

Kirby

I was quite comfortable Saturday night, of course my bag is rated to -4 F.

Sly
12-04-2007, 21:22
Trashgiving looked like fun!

http://tinyurl.com/2yjj84

Kirby
12-04-2007, 22:23
Trashgiving looked like fun!

http://tinyurl.com/2yjj84

Haha, that pretty much sums it up.

Kirby

Tin Man
12-04-2007, 22:47
Of course there is. I went on the trail maintaing trip Hillwalker put together. As it was mentioned by hillwalker, we created "bog walks" across a section of trail. In order to do so, we needed to chop some dents into pieces of wood. well, towards the end of the day, as I was swinging away with the axe, it split in two, leaving a handle as one piece, and a axe head with a piece of the handle still attached. Hence the name "axe handle".

Kirby

That was my guess, but I didn't want to say. Thanks for sharing Kirby....I mean Axe Handle.

Tin Man
12-04-2007, 22:55

Don't encourage people to bring their plugs. From what I recall of the Hikers Welcome Hostel, the electricity situation is....shall we say, in shocking condition.

Miss Janet
12-04-2007, 23:03
Us southern sissies were all pretty warm down here Saturday night. I figured up that we stood outside of the Budget Inn for close to 10 HOURS!!! Sorry I missed getting to see all of you and enjoy the fine cooking but I am so GLAD I wasn't up there getting cold with you turkeys! I mean, Getting cold with your turkey!
Thank You all for the work you did. I couldn't believe you were working trail and it that cold!! I am sure Axe's handle broke 'cause it was frozen!!!

Heater
12-05-2007, 00:18
Us southern sissies were all pretty warm down here Saturday night. I figured up that we stood outside of the Budget Inn for close to 10 HOURS!!! Sorry I missed getting to see all of you and enjoy the fine cooking but I am so GLAD I wasn't up there getting cold with you turkeys! I mean, Getting cold with your turkey!
Thank You all for the work you did. I couldn't believe you were working trail and it that cold!! I am sure Axe's handle broke 'cause it was frozen!!!

Rub it in! :D

Skidsteer
12-05-2007, 00:24
Rub it in! :D

We cheated.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=20390&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=7

Panzer1
12-05-2007, 02:55

Actually it was a 50 watt heating pad. It worked so well that I did not have to zip my bag up all the way. I had to leave the bag partly open because I was getting too hot. And it was 10 degrees inside my tent. And no, its not a god idea if everyone brings one. I now realize that the electrical situation at the Welcome Hikers is not really what you would call ideal. I won't bring it next time.

The PA Ruck is different though. The power situation at the camp sites is pretty good. I'll be bringging it there next.

Panzer

Mr. Pumpy
12-05-2007, 10:52

Kirby

Well if you prefer Axe Handle and dislike "The Kid"...then The Kid it will be. I guess you didn't learn much over the weekend. Unless you are using reverse psychology and you truly like The Kid. In which case...good show!

Axe Handle kind of sucks anyhow...in all truthfulness. Just callin' it as I see it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

yappy
12-05-2007, 10:57
here we go steelers here we go. Yo Bradyyyy ya alright dude ? I hear your friends just call ya Ken... how is barbie doing ?.. Now Rothlisberger..that's a qb....my guess is 24-14 black and gold. hey, i never knew how FUN it is to be brat on this site ..:) yippee

Sly
12-05-2007, 11:04
here we go steelers here we go. Yo Bradyyyy ya alright dude ? I hear your friends just call ya Ken... how is barbie doing ?.. Now Rothlisberger..that's a qb....my guess is 24-14 black and gold. hey, i never knew how FUN it is to be brat on this site ..:) yippee

LOL.... Read it and weep! Tom Brady! (http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=566)

Mr. Pumpy
12-05-2007, 15:25
I was more fond of "axe handle" my self

Kirby

Right oh...So KIDBY...I think that's the logical conclusion...you're never too old to be a Kidby...Kidby.

Kirby
12-05-2007, 18:54
Right oh...So KIDBY...I think that's the logical conclusion...you're never too old to be a Kidby...Kidby.

Nice try. it is amazing how easily one can avoid a name on the internet, and I most likely won't see most of you for a while, looks like Kirby will be the name on Springer.

Kirby

Skidsteer
12-05-2007, 20:17
Nice try. it is amazing how easily one can avoid a name on the internet, and I most likely won't see most of you for a while, looks like Kirby will be the name on Springer.

Kirby

Umm, lots of us in the South already know your start date. ;)

Panzer1
12-05-2007, 20:37
Kirby,

you can pick any trail name you want. Pick one you like, tell everying your new trail name and that's the end of that.

Panzer

TheTank
12-05-2007, 20:46
Kirby,

you can pick any trail name you want. Pick one you like, tell everying your new trail name and that's the end of that.

Panzer

No, that is clearly against the rules a trail name must be earned or assigned to you by someone else for some reason. It is impossible to come up with a fitting trail name for yourself.

Miss Janet
12-06-2007, 00:55
I like AXE... but your story of how you got the name needs to get beefed up... Like it was a Tree you were cutting down... 10 feet around... trying to get all the Billville people warm and save them from an icy death...

Doesn't anyone go FISHING anymore??

warraghiyagey
12-06-2007, 06:13
No, that is clearly against the rules a trail name must be earned or assigned to you by someone else for some reason. It is impossible to come up with a fitting trail name for yourself.
That is just plain untrue.

Johnny Thunder
12-06-2007, 08:18
Be careful wit' dat axe, Eugene.

mweinstone
12-06-2007, 15:42
the kid it is. kerby will be his second name just for close friends. knowone need know anything but the kid. and yes , axe handle not only sucks, its based on an unimportant and unfunny event. where as the kid denotes gunplay and fast women and whiskey and rideing all night in a possy. much the best is the kid. you will respect your elders young curb.
picture of the kid, aka kerby, admireing matts ginger alien tripod that was the centerpeice of two candy plates i called, hairball and alien fudge.
and a frozen stonewall comes in from his external turkey fryer with another load of deep turkeyed stuffing balls. hes the best trail cook since mala retired. period.

Jack Tarlin
12-06-2007, 15:43
Tank:

What you said might have been true some years ago. But no longer.

Nowadays, the vast majority of long-distance hikers name themselves, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing this.

mweinstone
12-06-2007, 15:50
chomp cooks . vsa looks. we had my favorite folks at this one. chomp is a rock. hes there when you need him. thank you both for the friendship. i save all of it in my heart. one day i hope to put a down payment of love on you all.

warraghiyagey
12-06-2007, 15:51
Tank:

What you said might have been true some years ago. But no longer.

Nowadays, the vast majority of long-distance hikers name themselves, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing this.
Absolutley.

mweinstone
12-06-2007, 15:54
the goat , when mixed with equal parts with baltimore jack tarlin,...combine to form the newly discovered element known only as ,"tar tar of goat" and is best searved warm with a tall cool creek.

Kirby
12-06-2007, 16:01
Umm, lots of us in the South already know your start date. ;)

Too bad I am teleporting from Springer to Katahdin, you all did not actually think I was going to hike did you?;)

Kirby

mweinstone
12-06-2007, 16:03
our beloved trail boss is one cool cat. and his dog is 12 and hillwalker was there at his birth and breathed the first breath of life into him. hillwalker really is hamdsome isnt he? i wanna look that cool and still have women at my door like he does when im his age. actually hillwalker is dateing several women at any one time. he shares himself as he finds time. lol.

warraghiyagey
12-06-2007, 16:04
Too bad I am teleporting from Springer to Katahdin, you all did not actually think I was going to hike did you?;)

Kirby
Oh please. There's no such thing as a teleporter.
(PM me if you know where I can access one - shhhhh):rolleyes:

mweinstone
12-06-2007, 16:06
jester on work detail . blister on sister detail.

al pics from this trashgiving. batts were changed in camera reseting wrong dates.

Johnny Thunder
12-06-2007, 16:12
Bad Johnny for not going to Trashgiving so's he could ride the China-bus and sip on Jameson.

mweinstone
12-07-2007, 09:41
did i mention the food? the star of our show? it was real. like bsis. it had color. it had shape. it had flavor.

Miss Janet
12-07-2007, 12:51
did i mention the food? the star of our show? it was real. like bsis. it had color. it had shape. it had flavor.

You bring an event to life like no other! YOU have the color, shape and flavor!!

mweinstone
12-09-2007, 13:07
dear janet. your a flavor. pepermint patty. and your a color. royal purple. and your a shape. ship shape.

Jester2000
12-18-2007, 22:08
"The Axe Handle Kid"

Smile
12-18-2007, 22:11
x2
That is a great name :)