PDA

View Full Version : Music on the trail

Chef
11-18-2003, 19:28
For those that like to listen to music while thru-hiking on the trail, would you prefer a mini-disc player or an mp3 player? I am looking for something that can store lots of music and is not crazy expensive.

azchipka
02-10-2004, 00:20
For those that like to listen to music while thru-hiking on the trail, would you prefer a mini-disc player or an mp3 player? I am looking for something that can store lots of music and is not crazy expensive.

I have been using a Apple iPod but have now replaced it with a Apple Mini-iPod.

Avery Z Chipka
Wilderness Ranger
Grand Targhee National Forest
[email protected]

eldwayno
02-10-2004, 02:16
I've got a creative labs Nomad Jukebox Zen Extra 40GB mp3 player that I got for $250 at best buy... it weighs 7.9 ounces but ya know what... I love my music and nuthin keeps me goin like a nice Dead jam.

gravityman
02-10-2004, 12:02
I have the lyra RD 1080 by RCA (the 1090 is the same with more internal memory). It has 128 MB internal memory (1090 has 256 MB) and an FM tuner. It takes SD cards (the same as our camera). The best part is the music encoding. It can use MP3Pro, which has the same quality as standard MP3's but half the size (also backwards compatable, so you can still play MP3pros on a normal mp3 player. It's just at 1/2 the quality). So on 128 MB we get almost 4 hours of music. You can then buy as many 256 MB cards are your wallet allows. They weight next to nothing (.1 oz I think) The MP3 with batteries weighs around 4 oz. Oh, battery life is also important! It's not so good in this department, with about 7 hours on the Ultra duracells. I think that minidiscs do better for some reason.

Gravity Man