PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian to Springer or vice versa

Lead Dog
10-18-2007, 16:29
Wondering which direction to hike this section come May 2008?

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 16:32
Standing Indian to Springer. SOBO.

Lone Wolf
10-18-2007, 16:33
yeah. sobo

max patch
10-18-2007, 16:43
Doesn't matter which way you go.

But if you are going to leave a car at one end or the other, then the safest place to spot your car would be at Amicalola State Park and hike SOBO. This would require you to hike the 8 mile approach trail.

Wonder
10-18-2007, 16:44
I'll sobo Kellys KNob anyday of the week

Lead Dog
10-18-2007, 16:45
We are driving from VA thinking about parking at Franklin taking shuttle up to trailhead at Standing Indian. Do you know about catching a shuttle back to Franklin and what kind of expense we're talking about?

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 16:50
IMO you would do best to park at Amicalola falls for $3 and then get a shuttle up to Standing Indian. I don't know how much the shuttle would be - but the benifit is you can walk back to your own car at your own speed.

Wonder
10-18-2007, 17:20
Check the books for the Budget inn or PM Ron Haven.......he would be your best bet in Franklin.......and a person you'll be glad to have met!

drdewrag
10-18-2007, 20:43
I'll sobo Kellys KNob anyday of the week
:eek: Kelly knob is a butt-kicker NOBO

Ron Haven
10-18-2007, 20:49
We are driving from VA thinking about parking at Franklin taking shuttle up to trailhead at Standing Indian. Do you know about catching a shuttle back to Franklin and what kind of expense we're talking about?Lead Dog if you aren't the one I'm shuttling Saturday morning call me (828)524-4403 and I can help you.

Summit
10-18-2007, 22:01
Lead Dog,

When you say "trailhead at Standing Indian," are you referring to Deep Gap. If so, that's about 15 miles of winding forest service road to get there (off of US 64). Ron Haven MAY do that, I'm not sure. If you want to partake of Standing Indian Mtn & summit, you'll have to do 2 1/2 miles nobo (oposite direction of Amicalola), so be sure to add five miles round trip to your distance and itenerary. I'm sure you'll be glad you did if the weather is nice when you summit. ;)

gold bond
10-19-2007, 09:26
I have done it all the way from Amicola to NOC going NOBO. Loved it! Let me clarify this I am doing it in sections but the section you are refering to yes I did it NOBO.

stumpy
10-19-2007, 10:13
Lead Dog,

When you say "trailhead at Standing Indian," are you referring to Deep Gap. If so, that's about 15 miles of winding forest service road to get there (off of US 64). Ron Haven MAY do that, I'm not sure. If you want to partake of Standing Indian Mtn & summit, you'll have to do 2 1/2 miles nobo (oposite direction of Amicalola), so be sure to add five miles round trip to your distance and itenerary. I'm sure you'll be glad you did if the weather is nice when you summit. ;)

Forest road 71 that leads up to Deep Gap is between 6-8 miles, but it does take a few minutes to get up there becouse of the single lane, gravel road. You could also park at Standing Indian Campground and walk up the Kimsey Creek trail to Deep Gap or up the Lower Ridge trail to Standing Indian. However, the Lower Ridge trial is best done coming off of the mountian, it is very steep!:sun

gold bond
10-19-2007, 10:32
You could leave a car at Amicola SP and drive a second car half way as a resupply point and have a shuttle meet you there and take you to deep gap if your doing it SOBO. Just do it in reverse if your doing it NOBO. Sometimes having that second car as an out for emergencies or for whatever isn't a bad idea especially if your just section hiking.