PDA

View Full Version : Stoveless???

L Tee
10-18-2007, 19:40
With the plan being a SOBO hike starting early june, I want to go without a stove during the start. If I see that it is a bad idea and want to go with a stove how far would I need to go (best outfitter town) before I could regear?

Suzzz
10-18-2007, 19:46
Why not just bring one from the get go? You can get some that weigh just a few ounces and take very little space. If you don't use it, you don't use it. But if you need it, you'll be happy you brought it.

Just a Hiker
10-18-2007, 19:48
removed post

spanish
10-18-2007, 19:52
If some one was planing going stoveless, what would be food of choice. I know I have had to eat ramon noodles dry when I was out of water. It turned out it was a good snack. My self, I have a hard time with out hot coffee.

Appalachian Tater
10-18-2007, 19:55
Just consider that you may not save weight because you will have to carry foods that don't need cooking which usually means no water added which means you're carring the water in the food. A supercat stove is significantly less than an ounce and I don't know what a Heineken pot weighs but it can't be two ounces and if you carry six ounces of fuel and a lighter you're still under ten ounces. So if the food you carry weighs ten ounces more than it would have, you're at break even. Plus the fuel gets lighter every day you use it.

L Tee
10-18-2007, 20:00
well there are certain things that I dont do that most do I guess. I dont drink coffee, tea or anything of the sort. I dont cook at home (mainly fruits, veggies, and bagles etc) stuff that I can eat without cooking. Im very ANTI cooking for some reason and I cant even get myself to cook meals at home with all the time in the world so Im thinking I wont want to do it while on the trail. thats why i was wanting to play it by ear. I just wanted to know a good stopping point that has a lot of options in case I need to get a stove.

seems as though whitehouse landing is the winner.

excuses
10-18-2007, 20:11
There are ways to warm food by using the body. with wildlide and all the sleep with the food is risky. That said. by using a bad with your liquid and food you can carry it either against your stomach or my favorite is in the backpack against my back. soaking foods that way also work. I concur with the others though, stoves can be very light now days.
Enjoy anyway you do it.

L Tee
10-18-2007, 20:12
unless they dont have an outfitter, then its a loser

excuses
10-18-2007, 20:13
Always read before you submit. That should be bag, not bad and definitely not a bad bag.

Appalachian Tater
10-18-2007, 20:49
well there are certain things that I dont do that most do I guess. I dont drink coffee, tea or anything of the sort. I dont cook at home (mainly fruits, veggies, and bagles etc) stuff that I can eat without cooking. Im very ANTI cooking for some reason and I cant even get myself to cook meals at home with all the time in the world so Im thinking I wont want to do it while on the trail. thats why i was wanting to play it by ear. I just wanted to know a good stopping point that has a lot of options in case I need to get a stove.

seems as though whitehouse landing is the winner.

If you're anti-cooking or a raw foodist and don't eat or drink anything hot or cooked at home you would be a fool to take a stove. Do take a little lighter as part of your safety kit. Those little tiny Bics will last an entire thru even if you do have a stove.

L Tee
10-18-2007, 20:57
im certainly not a raw foodist by any means. definately not that committed. My main concern is the ability to get enough calories in without having to set up and cook food (unpacking and packing stove, cooking, cleaning etc) but it would obviously be nice to get a hot meal every now and then I just dont see carrying about a pound worth of equipment (I would prefer a hardier stove like a pocket rocket) and fuel for that "every now and then."

But the actual question was where is there a good stop once ive started hiking to properly purchase the needed gear. Isnt there a spot a few days after springer that people spend a lot of money at a trail town?

rafe
10-18-2007, 21:00
Isnt there a spot a few days after springer that people spend a lot of money at a trail town?

Neels. But there's no equivalent for SOBOs, AFAIK. SOBOs have to be smarter right out of the gate.

Appalachian Tater
10-18-2007, 21:01
At Neels Gap there's Mountain Crossings, a full-service outfitter with an excellent selection. But if you only want to use it a little, why do you want something heavy and have to carry a metal fuel canister, etc? Do the Heineken pot/supercat setup and use an 8 ounce bottle for alcohol and then if you know you're going to resupply in 3 days and only heat food twice you only carry an ounce of fuel and the whole set up including lighter is like 5 ounces, if that?

map man
10-18-2007, 21:05
According to the 2005 edition of the Companion Shaw's in Monson used to have a "full line of backpacking gear," and others here could tell you whether the new owners still carry stoves or not (hopefully someone who knows Monson well will chime in). Monson is about 117 miles from Katahdin. Furthermore, the road into Monson can also be taken 8 miles (by hitch or otherwise) to Greenville, which has a full service outfitter, according to the Companion (you can definitely buy a stove in Greenville). They will not sell you a stove at White House Landing (also, according to the Companion).

If you rarely eat warm meals at home, as you say, then you are a good candidate to go stoveless. It can be done. It's what I do.

Just a Hiker
10-18-2007, 21:07
removed post

Uncle Silly
10-18-2007, 21:10
You can always carry a small cookset -- meaning a small pot or something similar. If you feel the need for a hot meal, just build a fire and cook over it. No need to carry stove or fuel, just a small pot for the occasional meal. A titanium Snowpeak pot, about the size of a large coffee mug, would be perfect, and would give you something to scoop water with (when necessary).

The stop you're thinking of is at Neel's Gap, I believe. About 3-4 days down the trail from Springer. And yeah, you'll probably be able to pick up a stove and fuel there if you decide stoveless isn't for you. But why wait until after the start of your hike? If you already know this might not work for you, why not do some test hikes to see?

Appalachian Tater
10-18-2007, 21:13
Shaws didn't seem to sell any gear in 2006 but there was a whole collection of fuel canisters. There seemed to be plenty of people with cars there at Shaws and I didn't even have to ask for a ride to town, it was offered by several people. I would just carry a soda can stove or supercat stove and then get alcohol at WH Landing if you want it, or at any point you felt you wanted it. Or just wait until you find some in a shelter.

I wouldn't count on WHL 100% being open next year unless there is enough snow for snowmobilers up there as they probably won't be able to afford to keep the place going.

rafe
10-18-2007, 21:13
What Tater said in Msg. 13. If you can't decide, you might wanna take a tiny alcohol stove kit and a few oz. of alcohol. Very minimal investment, in $$ and weight-on-your-back.

You may be surprised at the need (or desire) for "small pleasures" on the trail.

Appalachian Tater
10-18-2007, 21:15
There's nothing better than a pot of ramen soup or hot tea on a cold wet day. Really, that and going to sleep is all you have to look forward to!