PDA

View Full Version : Keen Newport Trail shoes OK for Thru-hike?

Tosto
10-18-2007, 20:08
I'm planning on attempting a thru-hike in '09, but I got a pair of these recently and love them. Does anyone have any thoughts or concerns about them?

So far, I Wear them every day and have done weekend hikes. At first I thought the sole was a little flat, but they have turned out to be pretty grippy.

I might get another pair now and time capsule them incase Keen stops making them before '09.

Link: http://www.zappos.com/gs/keen-newport-trail-brindle-black-casual-boots.shtml

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 20:11
Never used them, but it looks like they could work. Have you hiked in them yet?

Tosto
10-18-2007, 20:24
Day hikes, max distance 15 miles. They have me a blister on the bottom of my big toe below the knuckle at first, but not anymore.

I don't think there is any cotton in them now that I look closer, only synthetics, so they would probably dry fast.

Anyone have any overwhelming negatives I should consider?

Survivor Dave
10-18-2007, 20:31
I have TEMPORARILY switched from a mid hiking shoe to a low. I have used the Keen Targhee II for a couple of months. Call it a test drive. It was a bit getting used to but there is A LOT of room in the toe box. The shoe that you have is very similar to the Targhees'. I also use the Green Superfeet. That's a personal choice as well.

The verdict is still out on whether I should go back to the tried and true though.

I think it's best feature is the sole pattern and the gripping ability. I have beat the crap out of these, and haven't really felt slipping, even in wet weather. I haven't tried them on ice or snow yet. We'll see.

SD

jodestick
10-18-2007, 23:50
i use the same shoes only in a boot. i LOVE my keens! i think they have awesome support and they grip very well! i have used them in snow and ice and they are wonderful! they also keep my feet very dry! i never even had to break them in! i LOVE them! keens are awesome!!!!

chicote
10-20-2007, 10:01
If you like them and are comfortable in them, that is what matters most. I wouldn't buy more than one pair of shoes though for a thru. My reasoning is after you wear out your first pair or spend a month in them day in and day out your feet will either like your shoes or hate them. Aside from that I saw a ton of Keens out on the trail this year. GL

GG

Survivor Dave
10-20-2007, 10:04
I second that Chicote. Your feet will swell and sizes will vary for sure. Very good point.

If you like them and are comfortable in them, that is what matters most. I wouldn't buy more than one pair of shoes though for a thru. My reasoning is after you wear out your first pair or spend a month in them day in and day out your feet will either like your shoes or hate them. Aside from that I saw a ton of Keens out on the trail this year. GL

GG

Survivor Dave
10-22-2007, 11:33
Well, I spoke too soon.
After 100-150 miles of hiking, the soles of the Keen Targhees have started to peel off. Took them back to Mountain Crossings and without question and a smile, Winton took them back and gave me a different shoe/boot, no additional charge. I am trying Montrail Comp XCR Mids.

I'll follow up after I beat the crap out of these!:D

SD

I have TEMPORARILY switched from a mid hiking shoe to a low. I have used the Keen Targhee II for a couple of months. Call it a test drive. It was a bit getting used to but there is A LOT of room in the toe box. The shoe that you have is very similar to the Targhees'. I also use the Green Superfeet. That's a personal choice as well.

The verdict is still out on whether I should go back to the tried and true though.

I think it's best feature is the sole pattern and the gripping ability. I have beat the crap out of these, and haven't really felt slipping, even in wet weather. I haven't tried them on ice or snow yet. We'll see.

SD

Johnny Thunder
10-22-2007, 18:28
I agree...in another thread I praised the Targhee 2's and then immediately started having the pealing problem.

If you've only had a pair of defective Keen's for less than a year they will replace them as they have replaced mine. Took about 2 weeks. Sent them photos and a description of the problem. I now have a new pair of Newports and hopes that they'll do me a bit better.

I cannot say enough about how helpful the Customer Service team at Keen was.

Johnny