PDA

View Full Version : No Campfires in the Smokies

Ron Haven
10-18-2007, 20:31
On ABC's WLOS news at 6pm out of Asheville stated that a report from the forest service had banned all campfires.The use of cooking with aproperate utincils and caution will only be excepted.They stated that there was no water sources at the shelters.Also Fontana lake was down 70+ feet.It is flowing as mostly a river exposing many old home foundations that were once built along the river as it once excisted.

It has been drizzling rain on and off all day here in Franklin but it is nothing to compare to what is needed.As many of you out there are experiencing all up and down the Atlantic Coast.

I am trying to keep as much info for my area on water to help any of you hiking around the Franklin area.If I can help any of you feel free to e-mail me [email protected] or call me (828)524-4403

nitewalker
10-18-2007, 20:39
hey ron, thanks for the info. its been awhile i hope things have been well for ya....................peace out , nitewalker

karo
10-18-2007, 21:24
I was in the Smokies fishing on Hazel Ck last month. There was a ban but it was lifted the day after we left. It must still be too dry there. Lots of rain here in Middle Tn today and maybe too much weather tonight, warnings out already.

Pirate
10-18-2007, 22:07
Why would you want a campfire anyway. Are you afraid of the dark

generoll
10-18-2007, 22:12
hey Karo, how far up the creek did you fish and how was it?

RiverWarriorPJ
10-18-2007, 22:46
Why would you want a campfire anyway. Are you afraid of the dark
Heeeeeeee's BacK.......!!.....

Ron Haven
10-18-2007, 22:50
Why would you want a campfire anyway. Are you afraid of the darkIt ain't far to Cherokee.Might want to send up a smoke signal.

Wonder
10-18-2007, 23:24
ok...that was clever

Cuffs
10-21-2007, 00:06
Water sources in GSMNP on the Benton MacKaye are all good as of today.

Wonder
10-21-2007, 15:03
No fires in Virginia either!! So Sad! It's campfire season!

karo
10-21-2007, 17:20
hey Karo, how far up the creek did you fish and how was it?
We fished up to Campsite # 83 at the mouth of Bone Valley Ck.(5.5 miles) and then fished up BVC about a mile. I got several rises out of fish at the creek junctions but no bites. Hey I was just glad to be there! Other hikers that we met going up 8 miles had a pushcart full of supplies. They were locals and knew the creek well. I would love to go back next spring. I had been planning this trip for years and finally got to make it this time. It is a garden of eden up there.:sun

Uncle Silly
10-21-2007, 21:59
Also Fontana lake was down 70+ feet.It is flowing as mostly a river exposing many old home foundations that were once built along the river as it once excisted.

Wow! That'd be a sight. Anyone up for a trip?

Cuffs
10-22-2007, 12:09
I'll have photos of Fontana shore line up soon (working right now...) and its an awesome sight to see so much of what used to be below the water.

GSMNP's fire ban is still in effect (didnt know this til our section hike was over, and had a few fires going this week...oops!)

Wonder
10-22-2007, 13:32
Wow! That'd be a sight. Anyone up for a trip?

I'm game..........