PDA

View Full Version : about hammocking the entire a.t.

johnny quest
10-19-2007, 11:23
ive read here and on elsewhere about "going to ground" in your hammock if it gets too cold. ive tried it with my hh and frankly found it alot of work...akin to lowcrawling under concertina. my question is...why? does the hh itself really do that much for warmth once we go to ground? once it gets cold im thinking just put the hh flat between my pad and my bag and string the tarp up like a pup tent. any experience?

jlb2012
10-19-2007, 11:35
IMO the only reason to have the HH on the ground is to use the bug net - other than that its as you say - a lot of work for dang little benefit

johnny quest
10-19-2007, 11:43
exactly. and if its so cold that you go to ground....what &%@*$ kind of bug would be out pestering people?

Outlaw
10-19-2007, 12:42
But even the bug netting offers some degree of warmth. However,the effort of crawling in may not be worth the added warmth value.

Footslogger
10-19-2007, 12:45
ive read here and on elsewhere about "going to ground" in your hammock if it gets too cold. ive tried it with my hh and frankly found it alot of work...akin to lowcrawling under concertina. my question is...why? does the hh itself really do that much for warmth once we go to ground? once it gets cold im thinking just put the hh flat between my pad and my bag and string the tarp up like a pup tent. any experience?

===========================================

I carried my hammock (HH) from Pearisburg north for quite a few miles during my 2003 thru. Did end up trying that "going to ground" approach. It works but you have to be somewhat of a contorsionist. I wouldn't want to make a habit of it.

'Slogger

Cannibal
10-19-2007, 13:01
I tried it in my yard, just to see how/if it worked. I felt pretty silly getting in, but it wasn't much effort. I have the Ultralight Explorer model which is pretty big, so maybe that's why it wasn't difficult.

But, I see no benefit from the set-up and can't forsee a time when I would use it in bivy mode.

Nest
10-19-2007, 13:54
I don't even consider using my hammock in any way if I have to go to ground. Like you said, bugs are smarter than us and won't come out in the cold. Just take of the tarp and tarp tent that night.

johnny quest
10-19-2007, 14:21
so your saying we backpackers prove that evolution is wrong....insects are superior to us. i often suspected.

Cannibal
10-19-2007, 14:43
so your saying we backpackers prove that evolution is wrong....insects are superior to us. i often suspected.

If that's the case then evolution is very much correct. They've been evolving lots longer than us mammals.

taildragger
10-19-2007, 14:57
If that's the case then evolution is very much correct. They've been evolving lots longer than us mammals.

here's proof

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 15:33
Well in my case, going to ground doesn't always mean using the entire hammock system. For cold weather I carry an emergency blanket ground cloth - use that with a tarp to eliminate the covective air loss you can get up in the air and go to ground using a pad and your quilts on top like a "normal" camper.

neo
01-03-2008, 14:06

:cool::) here ya go dude:cool: neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

Deadeye
01-03-2008, 14:37
Well in my case, going to ground doesn't always mean using the entire hammock system. For cold weather I carry an emergency blanket ground cloth - use that with a tarp to eliminate the covective air loss you can get up in the air and go to ground using a pad and your quilts on top like a "normal" camper.

My sentiments - and method - exactly.