PDA

View Full Version : Giardia regimen

Blissful
10-19-2007, 15:17
Well, even though my test came back negative, my Dr decided to put me on a giardia antibiotic anyway. I've had ongoing GI problems since I returned from my hike a month ago. I'll pick up my prescription tonight. Anyone else go through this? Anything I should know about? Any special foods you avoided or ate? I decided to also go on a high fiber diet and take benefil or whatever it's called. Many thanks

Lone Wolf
10-19-2007, 15:18
it could be totally unrelated to the AT

mudhead
10-19-2007, 15:20
If it is metronadazole, (SP?), no alcohol, at least from my experience.

warraghiyagey
10-19-2007, 15:25
I've been told aong the trail that yogurt is a good food for such situations.

jesse
10-19-2007, 15:25
does he know for sure it is bacterial? I heard on the news the other day that its not good to take antibodics for viral infections. The contect of that news story was these super bugs, that have sprung up recently, and they can't find an antibodic for them.
After a month I wouldn't think it would be AT related. The only time I had a bad stomach problem was on a trip to Mexico. It sure didn't take a month for thoses symptoms to show. More like hours. I bet we took 30 potty breaks driving back to Georgia.

Footslogger
10-19-2007, 15:32
Well, even though my test came back negative, my Dr decided to put me on a giardia antibiotic anyway. I've had ongoing GI problems since I returned from my hike a month ago. I'll pick up my prescription tonight. Anyone else go through this? Anything I should know about? Any special foods you avoided or ate? I decided to also go on a high fiber diet and take benefil or whatever it's called. Many thanks

======================================

Yep ...been there, done that, got the T-shirt. In fact, I still had symptoms after the first run and ended up on a double dose. For me, the treatment was almost worse than the Giardiasis.

Can't honestly say that I was on any particular diet but I did stay away from foods I knew would make me gassy. Damn ...I had enough cramps from the Flagyl !!

Good luck to you ...

'Slogger

HIPOCKETS
10-19-2007, 17:07
I had the same problem after a section hike last year. I tested negative but the family would head out doors for fresh air when they saw me running to the head. The antibiotics did not seem to help. After three weeks, I changed my diet back to trail food and every thing went back to normal. It may have run it course.

Footslogger
10-19-2007, 17:19
It may have run it course.

===================================

No play on words intended ...right ??

'Slogger

gold bond
10-19-2007, 17:27
Had something similiar to what you are talking about. Found out that I had taken antibiotics which were to strong for me after I had gotten off trail and killed all the "good" bacteria in my colon. The bad stuff was eating it's way thru! My doctor actually prescribed to me what women use for a yeast infection...by golly it worked!
Do know this wasn't after a thru but a extended hike...three weeks. They warned us about eating to much after getting off trail. I went right for the double cheese burger loaded with green chili's and jalopena's and chili....the Charlotte airport will never be the same!
God bless and I hope all goes well with you blissfull.

refreeman
10-19-2007, 17:41
it could be totally unrelated to the AT

You sound like a sleazy corporate lawyer for big tobacco insisting cigarettes and cancer have no conclusive link. :eek:

Appalachian Tater
10-19-2007, 18:22
If your doctor didn't have a suspicion of something treatable by antibiotics he shouldn't have given them to you.

Antibiotics can kill the good organisms in your gut. Supposedly eating active-culture yoghurt will help with this problem. Just check the label to see that it says "lactobacillus" or "active culture".

There is a whole "fringe" science of "probiotics" and I am not endorsing that nor have I done any real research on studies on eating yoghurt to replace intestinal flora. Still, when I have had to take antibiotics, I ate three 6-8 oz containers of yoghurt a day while I was on the antibiotics and for several days after, until I couldn't stand the sight of it.

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 18:26
I'm not sure why you both would decide to put you on a Giardia treatment if you don't have it. Seems like you would want to avoid antibiotic use when it its use isn't really indicated.

How about a second opinion from another doctor before going on it?

shelterbuilder
10-19-2007, 18:41
Blissful - I had it, too - years ago, when IT was making the news instead of MRSA.:D The antibiotics will kill off everything in your system, and will usually cause "the runs" if you don't already have them. This is to be expected - this, too, shall pass. (did I really say that?) If I recall correctly, the gassiness should begin to subside a few days after you start the meds. TAKE ALL OF THEM.

I wouldn't worry about eating the active culture yogurt until the end of the antibiotics, because the active cultures are just as suseptable to the antibiotics as everything else. But when you're done, the yogurt can help to get a normal population of good bacteria re-populated quickly.

Good luck.

Blissful
10-19-2007, 18:55
Thanks - I trust my Dr, he has been taking care of me for 18 yrs with all my maladies (boy, and I've had many) and he never prescribes antibiotics unless he finds probable cause (I've heard him say so many times with Paul Bunyan when he was young with high temps and a sore throat - it's a virus, let it run its course). As it was, my Dr took an additional 24 hrs to make a decision. I am willing to try the antibiotics at least for now as nothing else has worked and I have had this since five days after getting off the trail (Sept 21). Nearly four weeks now. The severity of it comes and goes as well. I tried stuff to slow the colon, I tried going back on white bread and rice of the trail, I've tried Pepto Bismol, everything. My colonoscopy was pretty clean last year except for some polyps. So I am willing to give this a whirl as I can't get much runnier or gassier than I already am. Glad I do have probiotics to go on afterwards, though. :)

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 19:02
Sounds like something I had in Iraq. What ended up working for me is a water only (nothing else!) for 36 hours. Then bland food for about 24. Finished it up with eating yogurt to help with the bacteria thing.

I also had a run in with Dysentery (you would know this one right away) and was treated with cipro (sp?) which did it in within 24 hours. But then my system didn't digest right for months.

Appalachian Tater
10-19-2007, 19:02
Thanks - I trust my Dr, he has been taking care of me for 18 yrs with all my maladies (boy, and I've had many) and he never prescribes antibiotics unless he finds probable cause (I've heard him say so many times with Paul Bunyan when he was young with high temps and a sore throat - it's a virus, let it run its course). As it was, my Dr took an additional 24 hrs to make a decision. I am willing to try the antibiotics at least for now as nothing else has worked and I have had this since five days after getting off the trail (Sept 21). Nearly four weeks now. The severity of it comes and goes as well. I tried stuff to slow the colon, I tried going back on white bread and rice of the trail, I've tried Pepto Bismol, everything. My colonoscopy was pretty clean last year except for some polyps. So I am willing to give this a whirl as I can't get much runnier or gassier than I already am. Glad I do have probiotics to go on afterwards, though. :)

It sounds as if your physician is a good one and making decisions properly, I'm glad to hear that.

Sometimes a diagnosis can be made only because of the response to treatment.

A typical diet in your situation might be BRAT-bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast (white bread, please). Keep hydrated.

Blissful
10-19-2007, 19:16
It sounds as if your physician is a good one and making decisions properly, I'm glad to hear that.

Sometimes a diagnosis can be made only because of the response to treatment.

A typical diet in your situation might be BRAT-bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast (white bread, please). Keep hydrated.

Thanks, Tater. Aren't you in the medical field? You've had some good suggestions in that area. I still have my RN license but haven't practiced in 18 plus years so I am really rusty.

Blissful
10-19-2007, 19:19
But then my system didn't digest right for months.

What do you mean? What happened with your digestion? Just curious.

My digestion is out of whack. But I was off the trail for a few weeks other times of the hike and my system did fine with the "extravagant" foods I ate. So this is like some bug or something. That's why I'm glad to try the antibiotics.

Appalachian Tater
10-19-2007, 19:20
Thanks, Tater. Aren't you in the medical field? You've had some good suggestions in that area. I still have my RN license but haven't practiced in 18 plus years so I am really rusty.

No, I'm an RN aw well, and I'm a desk nurse, too. Right now, I just fill out forms and don't even sign them myself!!! It is amazing the amount of paperwork that is both redundant and unnecessary and how far behind the health care field is in the use of computers for records.

Appalachian Tater
10-19-2007, 19:24
Sounds like something I had in Iraq. What ended up working for me is a water only (nothing else!) for 36 hours. Then bland food for about 24. Finished it up with eating yogurt to help with the bacteria thing.

I also had a run in with Dysentery (you would know this one right away) and was treated with cipro (sp?) which did it in within 24 hours. But then my system didn't digest right for months.

Millions & millions of people a year die from dysentery for lack of antibiotics.

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 19:29
What do you mean? What happened with your digestion? Just curious.

My digestion is out of whack. But I was off the trail for a few weeks other times of the hike and my system did fine with the "extravagant" foods I ate. So this is like some bug or something. That's why I'm glad to try the antibiotics.
Well I'll try to explain...

After taking cipro (I am not sure if I am spelling it right) to kill the bug that was killing me (and it felt like it) I had that sort of light brown baby stool for weeks afterward. I would swing between being constipated or having really really soft stools. Often this was accompanied by a whole lot of gas and wierd sort of cramping.

After a few weeks my poop would return to normal, then go back to the light brown baby sort of stuff. Sometimes it was just annoying, and sometimes it was nasty. It took me months to where my system stopped swinging back into that mode.

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 19:30
Millions & millions of people a year die from dysentery for lack of antibiotics.
I know. After having it I can understand how that must feel.

Lone Wolf
10-19-2007, 23:08
You sound like a sleazy corporate lawyer for big tobacco insisting cigarettes and cancer have no conclusive link. :eek:

no, i'm a realist who has hiked 16,000 AT miles and never treated or filtered water and never got sick and a gal comes along after a thru-hike, treating the whole way then a month later claims sickness from the AT, i call BS :)

Blissful
10-20-2007, 00:12
no, i'm a realist who has hiked 16,000 AT miles and never treated or filtered water and never got sick and a gal comes along after a thru-hike, treating the whole way then a month later claims sickness from the AT, i call BS :)

C'mon Lone Wolf...I never said the AT caused my illness in this thread. All I said was I got sick a few days after I got home and haven't been normal since. I'd love to know what did it...but at this point I will try the antibiotics as nothing else has worked. Since I am going to be treated as though I have Giardia, I wanted to know what others had gone through. Not to make a federal case about water sources and the AT>

Honestly, White Blaze has gotten really out of hand of late. Now people simply ask for help and then get this kind of stuff on their thread. I said I was going to go into hibernation for a week on another thread and I really should have listened to my own advice. Enough is enough (and I won't let someone tell me to lighten up either). It is enough when people are sick and then it's called BS. I know Lone Wolf jokes around and swears and shouldn't be taken seriously and makes all kinds of waves (he even admitted it in person). But when someone is sick, the jokes and swearing stops there. It crosses a line of common decency. Sick people aren't in the mood for nasty crap. I have my own crap to deal with. I'm sure you aren't in the mood to have people make disparaging comments when you are sick, LW.

This is why a lot of hikers out on the AT dislike White Blaze. I've heard it from their own mouths on my hike. The putting each other down. The arguments over dumb things that have nothing to do about hiking (like the stupid shelter thread that had a good question and deteriorated into utter nonsense and people ganging up on each other as though this is the Gangs of NY - or the gangs of the AT). It's a shame to shoot each other in the foot. This isn't a hiking community. It isn't about hiking and helping each other. It's who has the biggest mouth via the keyboard and how many times you can shoot each other with words that act like bullets. The words aren't funny anymore. They can destroy.

I love White Blaze. I have met some great people here. I have made great friends. White Blaze helped me so much with my hike - including LW who gave my hubby a ride. I will never forget people's kindness. But enough is enough with this sort of thing.

End of my rant and this thread.

Anyway, a great many thanks for those who gave me advice. If you have any more, please PM me so this doesn't go on. And on. And on. Like other threads.

I'm off for now to tend to my illness. Bye.

EWS
10-20-2007, 00:57
Reminds me of Amoebas from Central America. There are no labs in the jungles, so that is what the Jungle Medics/Docs called such non-life threathening digestive tract problems that wouldn't go away. The usual treatment was short and heavy dose of Cipro; then you'd need to find Yogurt to put some good bacteria back in your system, otherwise you'd continue pooping. I found that lots of raw Garlic, about two heads a day, for about three days would kill them off. I smelled great too;)

take-a-knee
10-20-2007, 01:29
Blissful, what you have sounds like a protozoal infection, you ingest one or two parasites and they take a while to colonize and cause problems. This is quite different from "food poisoning" where the problem is caused by toxins produced by bacteria, not the bacteria themselves. I think your doctor should have ordered an O&P (Ova and parasites) of your stool. If this continues after the Flagyl regimen insist on this. Most MD's are a little weak in the bush medicine department. Flagyl (metronidiazole) is one of the few antibiotics that has a spectrum of activity against protozoans as well as bacteria, your MD knows this and that is probably why he didn't order an O&P. Abstain from alcohol as was mentioned earlier, flagyl can precipatate an antibuse type reaction.

Here is what has worked for me and the soldiers I've cared for over the years:

If you get the green-apple quickstep while traveling, it is likely bacterial and Ciprofloxacin 500mg twice daily for three days will do the trick. If it doesn't or if someone has a response like Rock did, someone needs to be checking your poop under a microscope that knows what to look for. MD's don't know how to do this, and a hell of a lot of lab people who should know how don't.

If the cipro doesn't work then I would suspect a protozoan and administer the flagyl after looking at stool samples. Remember that protozoans are eukaryotes like humans, they have cell nuclei and as such are not affected by most antibiotics. Oftentimes more drastic measures are necessary, think chemotherapy (read poisons) and you will be very sick.

For all the lone wolfers who are unaffected by drinking pond scum, you must realize that your body produces IGA antibodies in your alimentery canal at a much higher rate than most folks, and sooner or later your luck will probably run out as you age. Thumbing your nose at those who are less fortunant in that regard is analagous to feeling holier-than-thou because your IQ is a little higher than average. You had nothing to do with either one, they are genetically determined.

Sly
10-20-2007, 01:45
Honestly, White Blaze has gotten really out of hand of late. Now people simply ask for help and then get this kind of stuff on their thread. I said I was going to go into hibernation for a week on another thread and I really should have listened to my own advice. Enough is enough (and I won't let someone tell me to lighten up either).

Pot, kettle, black. On the other thread, I responded to Footslogger commending him for doing only three mail drops and you jumped on me with a hissy fit. That's OK though, I can take it.

Marta
10-20-2007, 07:35
Blissful--I've had a couple of bouts of GI troubles. One was a bacterial dysentary (from which I wondered whether I might die, having lost 20 pounds in three weeks, and run a fever up to 105); the other was giardia. I recovered from both without treatment. (The bacterial dysentary occurred more than 25 years ago; at that point there was no antibiotic that would touch it, so we didn't try.) It did take a long time (months) for things to get regular. Pretty much as Sgt. Rock described above. Keeping hydrated and well fed help. You'll probably feel your way towards finding out which things digest well and which just go straight through. I lean towards kefir, brown rice, potatoes, and such. Best wishes for a full recovery!

PS--Neither of these cooties were picked up while hiking, but were souvenirs of foreign travel.

SGT Rock
10-20-2007, 07:53
Pot, kettle, black. On the other thread, I responded to Footslogger commending him for doing only three mail drops and you jumped on me with a hissy fit. That's OK though, I can take it.
That is sort of what I was thinking.

buckowens
10-20-2007, 08:39

We have here in WV an animal called the W.V.B.D. (West Virginia Brown Dog), which is a dog that can eat or drink anything and never get sick. Has been hit multiple times by cars, and normally is missing some limb or eye. A pretty rough character all the way around, and master of his own fate. He is normally not a family pet. But, not all dogs are able to be W.V.B.D's...:D

Lone Wolf
10-20-2007, 09:45
C'mon Lone Wolf...I never said the AT caused my illness in this thread. All I said was I got sick a few days after I got home and haven't been normal since. I'd love to know what did it...but at this point I will try the antibiotics as nothing else has worked. Since I am going to be treated as though I have Giardia, I wanted to know what others had gone through. Not to make a federal case about water sources and the AT>

Honestly, White Blaze has gotten really out of hand of late. Now people simply ask for help and then get this kind of stuff on their thread. I said I was going to go into hibernation for a week on another thread and I really should have listened to my own advice. Enough is enough (and I won't let someone tell me to lighten up either). It is enough when people are sick and then it's called BS. I know Lone Wolf jokes around and swears and shouldn't be taken seriously and makes all kinds of waves (he even admitted it in person). But when someone is sick, the jokes and swearing stops there. It crosses a line of common decency. Sick people aren't in the mood for nasty crap. I have my own crap to deal with. I'm sure you aren't in the mood to have people make disparaging comments when you are sick, LW.

This is why a lot of hikers out on the AT dislike White Blaze. I've heard it from their own mouths on my hike. The putting each other down. The arguments over dumb things that have nothing to do about hiking (like the stupid shelter thread that had a good question and deteriorated into utter nonsense and people ganging up on each other as though this is the Gangs of NY - or the gangs of the AT). It's a shame to shoot each other in the foot. This isn't a hiking community. It isn't about hiking and helping each other. It's who has the biggest mouth via the keyboard and how many times you can shoot each other with words that act like bullets. The words aren't funny anymore. They can destroy.

I love White Blaze. I have met some great people here. I have made great friends. White Blaze helped me so much with my hike - including LW who gave my hubby a ride. I will never forget people's kindness. But enough is enough with this sort of thing.

End of my rant and this thread.

Anyway, a great many thanks for those who gave me advice. If you have any more, please PM me so this doesn't go on. And on. And on. Like other threads.

I'm off for now to tend to my illness. Bye.

sorry. wasn't slamming you or trying to hurt your feelings. i was calling BS about the dozens and dozens of people who claim they have giardia without being diagnosed. you got tested and came up clean. get well soon. :)

Lugnut
10-20-2007, 11:54
I've heard that once you have had giardia you develope antibodies to it and should be immune to it after the first incident. Anyone know if that's the case or can you get it more than once? I don't filter water either and have never had it that I know of.

Appalachian Tater
10-20-2007, 11:59
I've heard that once you have had giardia you develope antibodies to it and should be immune to it after the first incident. Anyone know if that's the case or can you get it more than once? I don't filter water either and have never had it that I know of.

No, that's not true at all. It's a parasite. It is also highly contagious.

Here's some information on it:
http://www.cdc.gov/Ncidod/dpd/parasites/giardiasis/factsht_giardia.htm

warraghiyagey
10-20-2007, 13:27
My understanding is that everyone has some giardia parasites milling around but their effects are manifested when thier numbers rise beyond what our body can handle, ie. taking in a snoot full of water that has a high concentration of said parasite.

warraghiyagey
10-20-2007, 13:29
We have here in WV an animal called the W.V.B.D. (West Virginia Brown Dog), which is a dog that can eat or drink anything and never get sick. Has been hit multiple times by cars, and normally is missing some limb or eye. A pretty rough character all the way around, and master of his own fate. He is normally not a family pet. But, not all dogs are able to be W.V.B.D's...:D

I've heard of these dogs and curiously all of them share but two names. . . Lucky or Cujo.:D

Uncle Silly
10-20-2007, 16:27
Antibiotics can kill the good organisms in your gut. Supposedly eating active-culture yoghurt will help with this problem. Just check the label to see that it says "lactobacillus" or "active culture".

There is a whole "fringe" science of "probiotics" and I am not endorsing that nor have I done any real research on studies on eating yoghurt to replace intestinal flora. Still, when I have had to take antibiotics, I ate three 6-8 oz containers of yoghurt a day while I was on the antibiotics and for several days after, until I couldn't stand the sight of it.

There's also been some research recently that the appendix actually does have a function -- it stores samples of all those good bacteria in your system and can 'reboot' your digestive system after a round of antibiotics wipes out all the beneficial bugs down there.

I've always found yogurt a good thing, tho i think 3 cups a day might be a bit of overkill.

Rock, did you use the yogurt trick after your cipro incident? Seems like that should've helped.

Fiddleback
10-20-2007, 20:17
It's common for strong antibiotics to kill off the 'good' bugs too; leaving the intestinal tract 'unsettled.';) Often, Acidophilus milk is recommended; this from Wikipedia, "Antibiotics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic) taken orally will also kill beneficial bacteria like L. acidophilus. After a course of antibiotic therapy, patients are occasionally instructed to take an L. acidophilus treatment in order to recolonize the gastrointestinal tract." Acidophilus milk often gets the job done and its taste isn't bad...compared to the fat free milk I'm use to.:rolleyes:

Acidophilus milk can be found along side the other milks at the grocers (at least at my Safeway).

FB

-SEEKER-
10-21-2007, 10:50
I never knew that about antibiotics. Is it possible they could have the opposite effect? Cause food to just sit in your stomach and not digest for a really long time.

Appalachian Tater
10-21-2007, 11:01
Some antibiotics you're supposed to take with food and some you're supposed to take on an empty stomach. Some can upset your stomach. Digestion in your stomach is through basically acid and enzymes so antibiotics can't stop it unless they make you vomit.

karo
10-21-2007, 17:43
I went thru something similar early this year. The doctors finally daignosed it as IBS or Irribatible Bowel Syndrome. The doc actually suggested that I go on a long hike to clear out my system! Gotta love that advise!!!
If that is what you have blissful it is not because of something you picked up along the trail but just your change in eating habits and diet. That can be enough to make your system a wreck, believe me I know. Ole LW could be right on target on this as much as I hate to admit, LOL jk, lonewolf.

karo
10-21-2007, 17:48
Blissful,
I know that you have gotten some good advise on here and you should also listen to the professionals about any health problems you may have, but also the pros don't always think of the things that we hikers are subject to either.

SGT Rock
10-21-2007, 17:49
There's also been some research recently that the appendix actually does have a function -- it stores samples of all those good bacteria in your system and can 'reboot' your digestive system after a round of antibiotics wipes out all the beneficial bugs down there.

I've always found yogurt a good thing, tho i think 3 cups a day might be a bit of overkill.

Rock, did you use the yogurt trick after your cipro incident? Seems like that should've helped.I honestly cannot remember all the details of that other than it sucked. It was summer of 2003 and I was trying not to get blown up, not to become a heat casualty, not to get that bug again, wash clothing and my body whenever I could get the stuff, trying to eat anything besides MREs, and on top of all that - deal with getting over that crud. My guess, based on the time it happened, yogurt was not on the menu and so probably wasn't used because I just didn't have that option at the time. Life was sort of hard at that point in my life.

Sly
10-21-2007, 18:19
Isn't the title of this thread miss leading, since Blissful's test came back negative?

I thought I had giarda once. The symptoms in were the ****s, chills, fever, cramps, and fratulence. I had flagyl but was reluctant to take it, if only the timing wasn't right. I was only out a week. I had been drinking sources in the AZ desert, some of which were basically stagnant pools on rock. I'd filter those but, drank from the source in a spring and out of a creek.

Anyway, the symptoms ran there course after about a week, although I didn't feel quite right for another couple weeks. I'm not sure what it was but, my suspicion is food poisoning from a road side cafe, one day after I left the trail.

Appalachian Tater
10-21-2007, 18:27
There are different ways to test for Giardia but none of them are 100% accurate.

TCBY has franchise opportunities in Iraq if anyone is interested.

SGT Rock
10-21-2007, 18:30
There are different ways to test for Giardia but none of them are 100% accurate.

TCBY has franchise opportunities in Iraq if anyone is interested.
They do now. I know for a fact you can get Seattle's Best coffee and Cinnabon over there these days.

Appalachian Tater
10-21-2007, 18:31
They do now. I know for a fact you can get Seattle's Best coffee and Cinnabon over there these days.

No Taco Bell, huh? That's un-American.

SGT Rock
10-21-2007, 18:33
Yes you can also get Taco Bell, Poppeye's, Burger King, Subway, Gyro King, Pizza Hut, and probably some others I am forgetting.

Appalachian Tater
10-21-2007, 18:37
Yes you can also get Taco Bell, Poppeye's, Burger King, Subway, Gyro King, Pizza Hut, and probably some others I am forgetting.

They should have KFC and and Long John Silvers if they have Taco Bell, Burger King, and Pizza hut; they are all Yum! Brands restaurants.

SGT Rock
10-21-2007, 18:41
Well on my camp, we didn't have any of that. Just Army mess hall chow, Iraqi mess hall chow, and the occasional stuff our terps brought in from off camp. Guess which of these made me sick the most?

In other news - big outbreak of Shigellosis in Knoxville. Seems like washing hands is the thing they are recommending most to prevent it.

Appalachian Tater
10-21-2007, 18:48
I don't see anything on Reuters. Probably children? It's fairly common.

shelterbuilder
10-21-2007, 18:53
...In other news - big outbreak of Shigellosis in Knoxville. Seems like washing hands is the thing they are recommending most to prevent it.

Washing your hands with soap and water for 30 seconds is the single most effective way of preventing the spread of germs and infectious diseases - and the easiest. Unfortunately, lots of people seem to have forgotten this.

SGT Rock
10-21-2007, 19:00
http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/10670721.html

I think it is interesting because some of the symptoms of this sound a lot like Giardia but it hits you faster after exposure. Something like this may explain some of the "I got Giardia" that people link to some water source only a few days prior - more likely it was this sort of thing from something other than water.

Add to that -I got some pretty bad cramps and gas lately, but figure it is from a burrito I got at a truck stop on Friday.

Appalachian Tater
10-21-2007, 19:02
Washing your hands with soap and water for 30 seconds is the single most effective way of preventing the spread of germs and infectious diseases - and the easiest. Unfortunately, lots of people seem to have forgotten this.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hand-washing/HQ00407

shelterbuilder
10-21-2007, 19:07
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hand-washing/HQ00407

Good link!

Lone Wolf
10-21-2007, 19:58
Ole LW could be right on target on this as much as I hate to admit, LOL jk, lonewolf.

i know and understand a lotta s**t.

warraghiyagey
10-21-2007, 20:03
Add to that -I got some pretty bad cramps and gas lately, but figure it is from a burrito I got at a truck stop on Friday.

Oh crap Rock, that sounds like a sh**ty deal. Of course if it aready looks digested going in. . . well, you know.

EWS
10-21-2007, 23:39

Dairy Queen, Orange Julius, Green Bean (wanna be Starbucks), and the expensive muffin/bagel place