PDA

View Full Version : why does trailjournals.com frequently not work?

Kirby
10-19-2007, 20:52
It seems that you can not often get onto the site, particularly betqween 7 and 9pm a lot, I was reading a great journal, and I all of a sudden could not read the next entry. Why?

Kirby
30-5-2???

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 20:54
Most likely it is because they exceed their bandwidth capability during a peak usage period that is between 7 and 9.

nitewalker
10-19-2007, 20:57
yea i noticed the same thing but if you keep trying sometimes it will let you back in.....

Uncle Silly
10-19-2007, 21:12
More likely it's more an issue of server capacity; the server is getting more requests than it can handle and can't answer all of them. Usually excessive bandwidth usage results in shutting off access to the server entirely for some period of time (usually until the website owner ponies up for more bandwidth from the hosting company), so you wouldn't just get back in.

Sounds like they need to upgrade to some bigger iron.

Lone Wolf
10-19-2007, 22:37
It seems that you can not often get onto the site, particularly betqween 7 and 9pm a lot, I was reading a great journal, and I all of a sudden could not read the next entry. Why?

Kirby
30-5-2???

cuz reading folks journals are boring

Frosty
10-19-2007, 22:54
More likely it's more an issue of server capacity; the server is getting more requests than it can handle and can't answer all of them. Usually excessive bandwidth usage results in shutting off access to the server entirely for some period of time (usually until the website owner ponies up for more bandwidth from the hosting company), so you wouldn't just get back in.

Sounds like they need to upgrade to some bigger iron.They are looking into changing servers or adding capacity. Right now they are pinched. They no longer allow new reader accounts because of performance issues with their current server.

Sly
10-19-2007, 23:01
They no longer allow new reader accounts because of performance issues with their current server.

What's that mean if you cleared your cookies you're out? Maybe that's why I'm getting a server error. :(

Uncle Silly
10-19-2007, 23:08
They are looking into changing servers or adding capacity. Right now they are pinched. They no longer allow new reader accounts because of performance issues with their current server.

Wow. At least they're aware of the issues and trying to deal with them. Hope they get it figured out.

What's that mean if you cleared your cookies you're out? Maybe that's why I'm getting a server error. :(

Maybe, if you had an account you had to log into, that the cookie was doing for you. You'll have to find the username/password and log in again. If that's not the case, who knows.

Sly
10-19-2007, 23:10
Maybe, if you had an account you had to log into, that the cookie was doing for you. You'll have to find the username/password and log in again. If that's not the case, who knows.

Can you get on? http://www.trailjournals.com

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 23:17
They are looking into changing servers or adding capacity. Right now they are pinched. They no longer allow new reader accounts because of performance issues with their current server.
I wonder what their bandwith needs are?

Uncle Silly
10-20-2007, 18:42
Can you get on? http://www.trailjournals.com

Today I can. Didn't see your post last night so I didn't try it.

I wonder what their bandwith needs are?

Dunno, but it wouldn't hurt to find out what (and who) they're currently using, and whether you can exceed that. I'd estimate, based on nothing whatsoever, that their traffic is roughly equivalent to Whiteblaze's own. Do you think you guys could comfortably host two Whiteblazes?

Sly
10-20-2007, 20:50
Yeah,today it's working for me too, but I did rolled back my computer to get a program back I deleted and added the trailjournals cookie back. So who knows.

Overpass
10-22-2007, 10:59
Trailjournals.com sucks.

Postholer.com rocks.

p.s. The reason they are out of server space is that they do not allow hikers to delete their journals. Ever. Serve's em right that this has come back to bite em in the ass.

SGT Rock
10-22-2007, 11:02
Maybe someday they will have a system that recognizes "junk journals" and they get rid of them. I reckon they could also move some of the journals into an archive after so many years so it doesn't tax their database.

Jan LiteShoe
10-22-2007, 11:04
Trailjournals.com sucks.

Postholer.com rocks.

p.s. The reason they are out of server space is that they do not allow hikers to delete their journals. Ever. Serve's em right that this has come back to bite em in the ass.

Overpass, Have you ever asked Leif directly if you could delete your journal?

This is the first I've heard of not being able to delete, but Leif is a very unhostile, direct person and if you wanted your journal off, I'm sure you could work something out.

Overpass
10-22-2007, 11:18
Maybe someday they will have a system that recognizes "junk journals" and they get rid of them. I reckon they could also move some of the journals into an archive after so many years so it doesn't tax their database.

My understanding is that could allow deletions if they wanted to, but they don't, in order to boast of the "biggest online trail journal site" on the internet. :rolleyes: Yeah, the biggest, due to all the junk, abandoned journals on their servers.

Overpass
10-22-2007, 11:24
Overpass, Have you ever asked Leif directly if you could delete your journal?

This is the first I've heard of not being able to delete, but Leif is a very unhostile, direct person and if you wanted your journal off, I'm sure you could work something out.
Not me, but this guy (Post #35) in this thread:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14324&page=2&highlight=locked+journal

Got locked out of TJ for posting a complaint on their site about the problem. This, after apparently begging them over and over to delete his stuff.

Uncle Silly
10-22-2007, 14:37
The reason they are out of server space is that they do not allow hikers to delete their journals. Ever. Serve's em right that this has come back to bite em in the ass.

Bvll*****. I call thread drift. This has nothing to do with the problems we're talking about; you just wanna b!tch about what you don't like about TrailJournals.

If this was the problem, you'd see some different error messages. You'd get people complaining that they couldn't add an update to their journal, or upload a new picture, or create much of anything. But you wouldn't see people going "I can't load the next page on an existing journal" -- cause that symptom is caused by something else.

We're talking about symptoms that suggest they're experiencing an effective DOS. That's denial-of-service for the non-technical; it's what happens when there's so many people trying to use a website that the website can't answer all the requests. When you click the link to go to the journal's next page, and it never loads, that's a DOS. Nothing to do with what space is or isn't on the server, and nothing to do with not allowing people to delete their journals.

How do you fix a DOS? Well, you figure out where the bottleneck is, and then you add the resource you need (RAM, another CPU, more bandwidth, a faster server, whatever) until the server can handle your traffic.

How do you fix a site refusing to delete your stuff? Complain to the management, file a cease-and-desist letter, and stop using the site. Or you could b!tch about it uselessly here, I guess, which is all you're doing; but I'm reasonably sure that won't get you anywhere. If it's really worth it to you, go talk to your favorite copyright lawyer about sending them a cease-and-desist letter.

Overpass
10-22-2007, 15:13
Bvll*****. I call thread drift. This has nothing to do with the problems we're talking about; you just wanna b!tch about what you don't like about TrailJournals.

Imagine that. Discussing what people don't like about Trailjournals in a thread about what people don't like about Trailjournals...:cool: Worst cast of thread drift I've ever seen!

We're talking about symptoms that suggest they're experiencing an effective DOS. That's denial-of-service for the non-technical; it's what happens when there's so many people trying to use a website that the website can't answer all the requests.

Yeah, cuz they're all overloading the site searching for the elusive "delete" button that ain't there. ;)

Marta
10-22-2007, 15:16
You can always go back and delete the entries. I recently looked for the TJ of someone whom I found particularly irritating, and all her entries and photos were gone. So it IS possible.

SGT Rock
10-22-2007, 15:17
Well if I remember right you can delete all your entries. Once you get below 3 entries it won't show up in the list. You can also take your journal to inactive and it won't show up either. If you want a single button to delete everything it isn't there - probably an important safety feature against the dreaded fat finger disease.

Roland
10-22-2007, 15:20
Is there a cost to the user, for creating a trail journal at trailjournals.com?

SGT Rock
10-22-2007, 15:21
No, but they do ask for donations.

Roland
10-22-2007, 15:24
No, but they do ask for donations.

So overpass' harsh criticism (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=431119#post431119) of trailjournals.com is about a service that he gets for free?

Overpass
10-22-2007, 15:31
So overpass' harsh criticism (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=431119#post431119) of trailjournals.com is about a service that he gets for free?

Psst. I don't use TJ.

Overpass
10-22-2007, 15:54
Well if I remember right you can delete all your entries. Once you get below 3 entries it won't show up in the list. You can also take your journal to inactive and it won't show up either. If you want a single button to delete everything it isn't there - probably an important safety feature against the dreaded fat finger disease.

Aw c'mon Sarge. It's cool of you to stick up for them and support them and all, but "safety feature against "fat finger disease"?? Other journaling sites allow deletion, and it's simple to add a few "are you sure?" screens requiring an "ok" before a journal is deleted. It's not like you can just accidently hit a button and your journal goes poof. :rolleyes:

TJ has a perfect right to have any "no delete allowed" policies they want, it's their site. However, they do not disclose this prior to accepting new members, and again, it's my understanding that the "no delete" policy is there in order to inflate their member numbers in order to attract/collect more advertising dollars. Not the kind of business ethics I choose to support.

SGT Rock
10-22-2007, 16:06
Aw c'mon Sarge. It's cool of you to stick up for them and support them and all, but "safety feature against "fat finger disease"?? Other journaling sites allow deletion, and it's simple to add a few "are you sure?" screens requiring an "ok" before a journal is deleted. It's not like you can just accidently hit a button and your journal goes poof. :rolleyes:
Actually I am just stating facts - it ain't sticking up for them at all. WB journals also does not have a "delete my journal" button. Does this mean we are also egomaniacs trying to build a journal empire? Or does that just mean that isn't something we normally have to worry about? As far as I know there aren't a bunch of "other journal sites".

And if you are not using them, then why are you bitching about them?

TJ has a perfect right to have any "no delete allowed" policies they want, it's their site. However, they do not disclose this prior to accepting new members, and again, it's my understanding that the "no delete" policy is there in order to inflate their member numbers in order to attract/collect more advertising dollars. Not the kind of business ethics I choose to support.
And how did you come to understand this?

Appalachian Tater
10-22-2007, 16:09
The ad dollars are probably based on page views and/or click throughs.

Marta, why would you look for the journal of someone you found "particularly irritating"? Wouldn't it make more sense to NOT look for it? :eek:

Marta
10-22-2007, 16:33
The ad dollars are probably based on page views and/or click throughs.

Marta, why would you look for the journal of someone you found "particularly irritating"? Wouldn't it make more sense to NOT look for it? :eek:

For laughs.

I'm twisted.

Overpass
10-22-2007, 16:36
As far as I know there aren't a bunch of "other journal sites".

I was referring generally to online journaling/personal sites, like myspace, facebook, blogs, etc. ALL of them permit deletion of one's own journal. Not just "deleting entries", making it "inactive" or other silliness.

SGT Rock
10-22-2007, 16:41
Ohhh.

It isn't facebook or one of those blog sites BTW.

Jan LiteShoe
10-22-2007, 17:19

Hi, Not to start a fuss, but I hate to see someone taken to task over a rumor. You've said this twice, that its your understanding "that the "no delete" policy is there in order to inflate their member numbers in order to attract/collect more advertising dollars."

Where are you getting this understanding of Leif's motives?

It's only recently that the site allowed any advertising at all, and resisted it for years. Leif's a good guy and an AT-thru who wanted to do something to stay connected with the community. He runs it himself now after Zip Drive got married. As anyone here could tell you, running a popular free site in your spare time isn't a picnic.

No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.

Potholer.com sounds like a fine site, but why take sides? It doesn't have to be either/or, does it? Surely there's room for variety.

Mags
10-22-2007, 17:26
I was referring generally to online journaling/personal sites, like myspace, facebook, blogs, etc. ALL of them permit deletion of one's own journal. Not just "deleting entries", making it "inactive" or other silliness.

Is it really that important? Just make it inactive as Sgt. Rock suggestyed, no one sees and *POOF*, as far as the outside word is concerned you have no journal.

I used to know Leif when he lived here in Boulder. Believe me..he is not thinking of creating a journal empire. He probably just did not think of universal delete feature at the time. Nothing malicious I assure you.

Not too much I can add. I'm sure you'll add some stuff though. ;)