PDA

View Full Version : A Hiker Passing through life

Blister
11-19-2003, 09:02
Recieved an email from Greenman last night about Papa Squat passing away. A note to those not with us any more:

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awake in morning's hush,
I am the swifter uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circle flight.
I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not here, I did not die.

Miss Janet
11-19-2003, 10:07
I am so sad to hear about Papa's death. He has been part of my AT memories since 1999. He was such a character and had one of the best hearts I have ever known. I will miss him so much!

I just spent some time talking to Moma Squat this morning and she is having a hard time but it was good to spend an hour just hearing stories and sharing memories. He took a hard trail in life but he loved the AT and his friends. His many miles on the Appalachian Trail were some of the best in his life.

He died very suddenly at work on Monday morning. A small service will be held this afternoon.

Papa Squats body will be cremated this morning and his mom is making plans to take his remains to a few special places on the AT. Frieda is sending me some of Papa Squats hiking things and I want to pass these things to those that friends that are doing the PCT in 2004. His Mom said he was so excited to be making his plans for the hike next year. His mother wants him to make it to the PCT with his friends by taking an item with them. Let me know if you want to take something and I will get it to you.

Please send her an email or give her a call in the days to come... he was her best friend.

chomp
11-19-2003, 11:27
He died very suddenly at work on Monday morning. A small service will be held this afternoon.

Please send her an email or give her a call in the days to come... he was her best friend.

Oh my God - Papa died?? Wow, I don't know what to say. Papa had his problems, but he was always fun to be around. I hiked with him a bit on the AT in 1999 and I always looked forward to seeing him at various trail gatherings. Some of the funniest stories that I have from my hike somehow involved Papa. This is sad news for sure, and I'll certainly miss him at Trail Days this year. I consider Papa a friend, and this is tough news to hear.

That is a great poem, Blister, thanks for sharing it.

I went through a few photos from Trail Days this year. I only had a handful, but here they are. See you on the trail, Papa.

-chomp

http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-traildays03/abk
http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-traildays03/acr
http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-traildays03/acs

PS - Miss Janet, where can we email Mama Squat? I only have Papa's email. If you don't want to post the address, please send me a private email. Thanks.

Miss Janet
11-19-2003, 11:59
To email Moma Squat just use [email protected]

mdionne
11-19-2003, 14:36
Poor Papa Squat. I hiked with him in 02 for a while. No one had as big a heart as he did. I miss him already.

Jack Tarlin
11-19-2003, 14:56
There are a lot of Papa Squat stories, and most of them are even true. One of my favorites:

Some years back, I was sitting at the bar at 5 Olde in Hanover, a legendary hiker watering hole, knocking a few back with Papa. OK, so maybe it was more than "a few." Anyway, as the evening progressed, this rather annoying young woman (not a hiker) joined us, and proceeded to make a complete pest out of herself in terms of conversation, attitude, ditziness, you name it. She didn't get the several hints we were sending that neither of us particularly welcomed her company, and this was rare for Papa, for if truth be told, when it came to the ladies, he was, shall we say, completely open-minded, particularly if he'd been partaking of adult beverages. On occasion, he was more open-minded than any of us could believe, but we shan't go there.

After awhile, Papa evidently got completely fed up with our shrill companion, but being ever the gentleman, he refused to make his annoyance clear----I've seen Papa with some pretty rude women, but I NEVER saw him rude to a woman, and neither did anyone else. However, even Papa had his limits.

After the lady made some particularly vapid comment, it was clear that Papa had finally reached his limit. He asked the bartender for a coaster. When it arrived, he looked at our lady friend, smiled broadly at her, and then reached into his mouth and deftly removed all of his teeth, which he then placed on his newly acquired coaster. He picked up his beer, toasted the lady with his glass, and drained it. Still looking at the lady, he grinned again, and said "Now that's better!"

The lady departed rather quickly thereafter. Papa put his choppers back in and we got another pitcher.

Papa will be missed by a great many people; as Willie Nelson once said, "A stranger is just a friend I haven't met yet." Papa saw folks the same way.

weathercarrot
11-20-2003, 19:35
He was amazingly kind to me. A true friend.

30seconds2000
11-21-2003, 21:08
He was a good man and I was very sorry to hear of his death. My thoughts are with his family and all the rest of you.

love,

30 seconds